The Independent Hip Hop Cops (CD Purchases)

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Essence
This thread is for everyone to share their new Physical CD purchases as and when they cop them, (INDEPENDENT ONLY), or posts will be deleted.

I'll start, I purchased these albums about 2 or 3 months ago:

photo.jpg
MacBook with the IC for proof of purchase.

I bought these albums having listened to them for a long time (with the exception of Oneirology and The Family Sign), so the reflections on the reviews below are from the moments that I heard them for the first time and not recently, when I finally imported them from the States.

Atmosphere - The Family sign: good-great album, I'm not really a fan of the live instrumentation as much as I am a fan of the lyrics, which is odd considering I couldn't decide when I got WLGYL - classic to me. Either way, a good purchase and a solid album.

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens: An arguable classic that hasn't been in stock for ages and sold for up to $100 in the mean time (reportedly), a great album and one that I will treasure in my collection. This album was the moment I was introduced to Exile and from then on I was sold on his beats, Blu's been solid ever since too and I can't wait for NoYork!

Fashawn - Boy Meets World: Following my comments on Blu & Exile's joint, you can imagine my excitement a few years back when Fashawn released an album, completely composed of Exile's beats. Having listened to Fashawn on 'Pulp Fiction Part 1' from U-N-I's 'A Love Supreme', I was excited to hear it and was still mind-blown with the chemistry of the duo. In my opinion, this is a better album than Below The Heavens.

Eligh - Grey Crow: This was my Album of the Year from 2010. Eligh was coming out of a hiatus, where he had faced drug addiction head on. If only everyone could pull through addictions like Eligh did with this release. A truly sobering experience at times with tracks like Shine and Whirlwind. Great album. Eligh's production is not to be overlooked either and there are some truly great guest appearances too.

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons: Atmosphere's greatest release? Definitely a contender, the range that Ant created for Slug on this release was flawless and Slug was at his story-telling best too. I'd always listened to Atmosphere here and there, but I made the mistake of starting with Lucy Ford years ago and being disappointed with it's emo outlook. I avoided them until I heard 'You' and was completely taken aback with the production. This summer will be the summer of Atmosphere, as I'm going to raid their collection in its entirety.

CunninLynguists - Oneirology: One of the first groups I ever listened to upon discovering the underground, I instantly pre-ordered this release… Kno doesn't disappoint and the CD in itself is a good concept - following dreams. Superb chemistry and I got to see them promote the album too, so I'll never forget this one, even if it is sub-par IMO to APOS and D.A.

Comments

• RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    These arrived today:

photo-5.jpg
    MacBook with I.C. and RuffDraft Logo as proof.
    Signed copy of Section 80 can be seen on the left hand side…

photo-2-1.jpg

Kendrick Lamar - Section 80: I've been listening to Kendrick for quite some time now, I thought his Self-Titled EP was crazy and I never thought he'd top it. To me, it was a modern day Illmatic - not in the sense that it was anywhere near that level. But in the sense that it was an artist breaking through with something fresh, slow and melodic like we hadn't heard. And yet it was a release that I never thought Kendrick could top either. He arguably proved me right on Overly Dedicated, which to me personally, was a solid release yet lacking the self-reflection that was apparent on his Self Titled EP. But this month, Kendrick Lamar has, in my views, dropped the album of the first half of the year. Incredible. Production is superb and suits his flow, yet he's always pushing the envelope. He's experimenting with his flows, taking styles from Bone Thugz yet dropping tracks with the same social commentary that would have been apparent in the 90's; namely with Tupac. To me, this is a great album that I've already purchased via iTunes, but now, have the signed copy too.

Y Society - Travel At Your Own Pace: Back in 2007, I caught wave of a track called 'Never Off (on & on), I thought the production was incredible, old-school feel and old school flows. Y Society are a duo, made up of Damu The Fudgemunk and Insight, who have both produced/been DJ's in the past… Insight handles most of the rhymes and the release was a truly remarkable one that caught me off guard… definitely came out of nowhere. I have Damu's Spare Time release that dropped a year later, but this remains my favourite that I've heard from either.

Apollo Brown - Clouds: Yet to listen

ToneDeff - Cold.Killed.Collected: Yet to listen
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Part 2 of what arrived today:

photo-1-2.jpg

J Dilla - Ruff Draft: I first became a fan of Dilla in his days of working with Common - particularly on Electric Circus (surprisingly or not so, considering how we kind of like the 'unliked' as such on underground boards). I thought his experimental creations were incredible and the way that he incorporated so many different styles on a single disc. Electric Circus was underrated to me, but when I started to delve into his own library, I started to realise his true genius. Dilla's RuffDraft is of course the ode to my username, but I have never seen it here in the U.K. So as part of my big import, I finally copped it. One of my favourite Dilla releases. This one is a 2 disc collection, so I can't wait to hear the extra tracks as well as bumping tracks like 'Reckless Driving' all over again.

The Foreign Exchange - Connected: I'd always been a fan of Phonte and Little Brother, but I became a much bigger fan when I was put on to 'Connected' a little after it dropped by a German poster who used to post here, she said this album was incredible and that I 'had to listen to it'. Following hearing it, I could understand her point of view, never has an album been more honest about relationships, Phonte really showed on this release why he's a great artist… I feel like ever since, he's wanted to crossover… which is cool and all, but he's definitely got his own lane that he could expand upon, which is never more evident than it is on 'Connected'. One of my favourite discs and I have continued to follow Nicolay since, particularly on the under rated 'Time:Line' album that he did with Kay. A must buy CD to me, that's now back in stock over at UGHH.

J Dilla - Jay Love Japan: Yet to listen...

J Dilla - Donuts: Yet to listen…
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    do we have to post pics?? i got some new ? but i dont got my camera on me to post the pics.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    do we have to post pics?? i got some new ? but i dont got my camera on me to post the pics.

No, not at all, but would be cool if you could after you've posted!! It's not really for proof, but more so because it's cool to see them up in the thread! :tu
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Nicolay and Kay: Timeline- if yall aint got it, get it
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

Sorry about the 2nd photo being blurry, didnt realise until i uploaded it how bad it was haha.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »

Sorry about the 2nd photo being blurry, didnt realise until i uploaded it how bad it was haha.

Drop the mini-synopsis' on them!!!
    sboogie wrote: »
    why are cats so hung up on physical cd purchases?
    its 2011, I legally download everything....

Because when you buy a CD, you kind of expect good quality and worthwhile purchases, also things like booklets are still cool to read through…

Know what you mean… but it's independent hip hop… we need to support the acts if they're to continue with their craft…
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Wow you got the physical copy of Jay Loves Japan!!! That was hard for me to get

Anyway 2011 goes like this

- Bon Iver/Bon Iver

- Smif N Wessen/Pete Rock/Monumental

- Curren$y/Weekend At Burnie's

So far . . . nothing terrific has caught my imagination this year
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ruff Draft, I will attempt to pull out my collection! It's so dark in my room and so compact, I can't get them all!! (And thats just the front!!)
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    my most recent cds i got was...

Del The Funky Homosapien-Golden Era-this album is dope as hell and its acutaly 3 diffrent albums for one price. dope
    Disc1-Golden Era
    Disc2-Automatik Statik
    Disc3-Funk Man

Smif N Wessen/Pete Rock-Monumental
    Hail Mary Mallon-Are you gonna eat that??

thats it for now trying get a job so a can go on UGHH to cash out on some gems ive been seening on there
  • mistaincredible
    mistaincredible Members Posts: 300
    edited July 2011
    Options
    where can i find a physical copy of below the heavens?
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    l.jpg

My favorite CD purchase this year...
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    where can i find a physical copy of below the heavens?

Click on the link over at UGHH and asked to be reminded about when stock becomes available :tu
  • identity-x
    identity-x Members Posts: 18
    edited August 2011
    Options
    l.jpg

My favorite CD purchase this year...

This and Killer Mike are the only two 2011 releases on my "to-get" list that I haven't found for the right price (read: used and/or under $8...I'm cheap)

Indie purchases bought this year...

Blueprint - Adventures in Counter Culture
    Pharoahe - WAR
    Tech N9ne - 6's 7's
    Jay Rock - Follow Me Home
    Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
    Atmosphere - Family Sign
    Reach - Pen Pusha Mixtape peep! http://reach.bandcamp.com/album/pen-pusha-mixtape http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuGaIiBkIBI

Bought last week and finally listening to: Kweli - Gutter Rainbows
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    identity-x wrote: »
    This and Killer Mike are the only two 2011 releases on my "to-get" list that I haven't found for the right price (read: used and/or under $8...I'm cheap)

Indie purchases bought this year...

Blueprint - Adventures in Counter Culture
    Pharoahe - WAR
    Tech N9ne - 6's 7's
    Jay Rock - Follow Me Home
    Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
    Atmosphere - Family Sign
    Reach - Pen Pusha Mixtape peep! http://reach.bandcamp.com/album/pen-pusha-mixtape http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuGaIiBkIBI

Bought last week and finally listening to: Kweli - Gutter Rainbows

How is Jay Rock's Follow Me Home? That's next on my listening list!!
  • identity-x
    edited August 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    How is Jay Rock's Follow Me Home? That's next on my listening list!!

It'? or miss. When it hits, it hits well and the good outweighs the bad.

The bad songs suffer from bad/annoying hooks or sound too forced (see "Boomerang" and the song with Christ Brown)

If you're a fan of the west, definitely cop.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It'? or miss. When it hits, it hits well and the good outweighs the bad.

The bad songs suffer from bad/annoying hooks or sound too forced (see "Boomerang" and the song with Christ Brown)

If you're a fan of the west, definitely cop.

That sounds fair, I don't mind that and I'm definitely a fan of the west, so I look forward to peeping this, props on the synopsis/review :tu
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    this year i've copped:

Blueprint-Adventures in Counter Culture (Favorite Album this Year)
    Atmosphere-Family Sign & When Life Gives You Lemons
    Jay Rock-Follow Me Home
    Kendrick Lamar-Section 80 (digital version)

as soon as i find the physical for that new Grieves imma cop..same with Fashawn's Boy Meet's World (bought on Itunes tho), Blu Below the Heavens, and Section 80..yea my indie selection ain't all that lol but i'm workin on it..imma cop that Saigon too..
  • identity-x
    edited August 2011
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    this year i've copped:

Jay Rock-Follow Me Home

as soon as i find the physical for that new Grieves imma cop..same with Fashawn's Boy Meet's World (bought on Itunes tho), Blu Below the Heavens, and Section 80..yea my indie selection ain't all that lol but i'm workin on it..imma cop that Saigon too..

I'm pretty sure the only way you can get a physical copy of the Kendrick Lamar is through the TDE website.

I snatched it when it was $10...a couple days later they raised it to $15. :)
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I don't buy too many CDs any more. I download stuff and play it on my laptop or ipod. Cool stuff to browse through here.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    this year i've copped:

Jay Rock-Follow Me Home

I've still got to check out that Blueprint!! You copped the same Atmosphere albums as I have this year lol. Nice pick ups though :tu
    I'm pretty sure the only way you can get a physical copy of the Kendrick Lamar is through the TDE website.

I snatched it when it was $10...a couple days later they raised it to $15. :)

You got a bargain! I paid the $15, can't say it was worth it CD wise as it's just a sheet in a plastic sleeve, but having his autograph made it worthwhile…. great album too, but I already supported him via iTunes anyway.
    Madbeats wrote: »
    I don't buy too many CDs any more. I download stuff and play it on my laptop or ipod. Cool stuff to browse through here.

Yeah, it's the case for most of us, I guess… still don't think you can beat owning a CD though.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So I just spent more money :/

I've got 4 classic releases though, IMO. It cost a lot, but I think it was worth it…

Re:Plus - Everlasting Truth 23 Euros.

Michita - Dawning 16 Euros.

Michita - One 23 Euros.

Nujabes - Modal Soul 40 Euros. 1ST PRESS from 2005!!!

Shipping 20+ Euros.

I'll drop pics when they arrive, can't wait for Nujabes, been wanting Modal Soul for years, glad I've found a first press of it now :tu

You think 40 Euros is a bit much for Nujabes? I couldn't leave it knowing that it was a first press…
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Damnnn im so jealous of you guys
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Damnnn im so jealous of you guys

Can you not pick up CD's online??? They don't sell any independent albums by me either...
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    They've Arrived!!!

IMG_1778.jpg
    2 free CD's from the sender… at the top, followed by the four CD's.

IMG_1777.jpg
    Inside of Nujabes' Modal Soul

IMG_1770.jpg
    Proof of Nujabes' Modal Soul being a first edition, Libyus Music imprint rather than Hydeout Productions.

IMG_1786.jpg
    Nujabes' Modal Soul!!!