obeezy gonna win this debt ceiling fight

Options
13»

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    In political terms, he probably won with independents as far as selling the theatrics. I never thought triangulation was a smart approach, still don't, and as policy this sucks, I guess it could have been worse, but that's far from a win.

In general terms, Rep leadership was just negotiating, they love running up debt and chamber of commerce and wall street told them to raise the debt ceiling forever ago. Imo anyone surprised that they came to an 11th hour deal that was all cuts hasn't been paying attention.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sad ? ... TP might just have ran the country into the ground for sure
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    In political terms, he probably won with independents as far as selling the theatrics. I never thought triangulation was a smart approach, still don't, and as policy this sucks, I guess it could have been worse, but that's far from a win.

In general terms, Rep leadership was just negotiating, they love running up debt and chamber of commerce and wall street told them to raise the debt ceiling forever ago. Imo anyone surprised that they came to an 11th hour deal that was all cuts hasn't been paying attention.

Nope, just surprised how the dems folded.

I like how nobody realizes the chamber of commerce is a republican held institution........
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    naw the new dude who running the pentagon leon pennata
    is serious about cutting that ? .

You believe that? If you do I guess I have no choice but to agree with you
    They want to cut waste which is fine i dont think they even realize that when they start cutting jobs and then end up paying more for a contractor we will be in the same boat again..

What!? Private is always better than government!!!!!!! There is no such thing as overpaying the private sector
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    Nope, just surprised how the dems folded.

I like how nobody realizes the chamber of commerce is a republican held institution........

I wonder if it's the dems trying to prove a point...
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You believe that? If you do I guess I have no choice but to agree with you

What!? Private is always better than government!!!!!!! There is no such thing as overpaying the private sector

Im taking this as sarcasm lol
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    I wonder if it's the dems trying to prove a point...

nah they ain't smart enough to pull an okie doke like that

the last great democratic chess move was when Obama pitted Michael Steele against Rush Limbaugh
    Im taking this as sarcasm lol

most definitely lol
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    nah they ain't smart enough to pull an okie doke like that

the last great democratic chess move was when Obama pitted Michael Steele against Rush Limbaugh

yeah that was pretty funny. what did obama have to do with it though? by calling limbaugh out by name?
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    yeah that was pretty funny. what did obama have to do with it though? by calling limbaugh out by name?

yeah

"As predicted Rush Limbaugh took the bait that Democrats laid out for him as today he went on the attack against the White House as he accused Barack Obama of trying to malign him and as an added bonus he attacked Michael Steele for calling him an entertainer."

I don't think ppl realize, but after Obama's election, we were talking about Republicans in the same sentence as the Whig Party....oh how things have changed
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Obama had ? back pedaling and falling all over themselves:
    Steele told CNN host D.L. Hughley in an interview aired Saturday night: “Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh — his whole thing is entertainment. He has this incendiary — yes, it's ugly.”

then
    “My intent was not to go after Rush – I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh,” Steele said in a telephone interview. “I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. … There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership.”
  • Mr.Burns
    Mr.Burns Members Posts: 517
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »

You raise the debt ceiling 2.4 trillion and then cut 2.7 trillion with no increases in revenue!? That ends up adding 300 billion more to the overall deficit of 11 trillion. You're right, anyone who has been paying attention knows this was just some big charade by both parties in order to push through unpopular cuts. Medicare, Medicade and Social Security benefits have all been cut by this debt limit bill. As well as unemployment benefits.

We just got duped by the biggest good cop bad cop routine in history.
  • dawriter
    dawriter Members Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mr.Burns wrote: »
    You raise the debt ceiling 2.4 trillion and then cut 2.7 trillion with no increases in revenue!? That ends up adding 300 billion more to the overall deficit of 11 trillion. You're right, anyone who has been paying attention knows this was just some big charade by both parties in order to push through unpopular cuts. Medicare, Medicade and Social Security benefits have all been cut by this debt limit bill. As well as unemployment benefits.

We just got duped by the biggest good cop bad cop routine in history.

I'm sorry, but where did you see a listing of Medicare and Social Security benefit cuts and unemployment benefit cuts??? Where did you get that from?

This is part of the problem, shock statements like these with no merit whatsoever...
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    There is no plan here to create jobs, while the 2 trillion in cuts will definitely lead to a loss of jobs, especially since there are no tax increases on the rich......yeah this plan isn't going to help the country. I wouldn't be surprised if America's credit rating gets lowered, even after this deal.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/01/deficit-reduction-plan-economic-recovery_n_915423.html

Deficit Plan Certain To Hurt Economy

The proposed deal pleased few and left many with a sense of unease. Stimulus programs the federal government still has in place -- unemployment benefits and the payroll tax cut -- are set to expire at the end of the year. Under the plan, cuts that start relatively small next year would increase over the course of the decade.

"If anything, the budget agreement in the short run is going to make things worse," said Gary Burtless, a former Labor Department economist and a current fellow at the Brookings Institution, in Washington. "By reducing spending even by very modest amounts in the short run, we're probably doing the exact opposite of what we ought to be doing if we want to lift the ranks of the employed."

The current conversation in the nation's halls of power, he said, is "a little like a debate over how much we should trim the government back in 1932."
  • Mr.Burns
    Mr.Burns Members Posts: 517
    edited August 2011
    Options
    dawriter wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but where did you see a listing of Medicare and Social Security benefit cuts and unemployment benefit cuts??? Where did you get that from?

This is part of the problem, shock statements like these with no merit whatsoever...

Cut doesn't mean get rid of genius. And yes all three will be partially cut. Extended unemployment is no longer an option for anyone that is unemployed longer than their designated minimum period.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    yeah

"As predicted Rush Limbaugh took the bait that Democrats laid out for him as today he went on the attack against the White House as he accused Barack Obama of trying to malign him and as an added bonus he attacked Michael Steele for calling him an entertainer."

I don't think ppl realize, but after Obama's election, we were talking about Republicans in the same sentence as the Whig Party....oh how things have changed

well technically, it happened. traditional republicanism has more or less disappeared. it got taken over by extremism and tea party/libertarian thinking.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I laugh whenever Republicans/Conservaties call him a secret Moslem or communist because judging my his actions he is a secret Republican.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited August 2011
    Options
    well technically, it happened. traditional republicanism has more or less disappeared. it got taken over by extremism and tea party/libertarian thinking.

lol you're right

I'm just mad it took David Brooks 11 years to realize this
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Social Animal is a good book
    just finished it
  • Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Cut doesn't mean get rid of genius. And yes all three will be partially cut. Extended unemployment is no longer an option for anyone that is unemployed longer than their designated minimum period.
    there are no cuts to ss or medicare...
  • dawriter
    dawriter Members Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    Options

Who said get rid of? You made a specific statement that Medicare and Social Security benefits were just cut, I'm asking where you got that information from? What's your source??