im thinking of taking up martial arts......input needed...

Options
htowntx
htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Weight Room
I always wanted to but never had the opportunity til now
Hopefully it would allow me to get in shape plus shed a couple of pounds

The first option is a taekwon do gym....its close to the crib plus the dude that runs it has been there for a minute. ? I know people who's parents were trained by dude so I know he's legit

Second option is a mma gym that's 15-20 minutes from my house, give or taken traffic.
This guy teaches Brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay thai boxing. That is what i really wanna learn. Get my Anderson Silva on u feel me......

What y'all think

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    look at my avi. Do the mma ? .
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Krav Maga.......
  • htowntx
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    look at my avi. Do the mma ? .

That's what I'm thinking
  • htowntx
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Krav Maga.......

???????????
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    TKD is stupid and pointless. MMA will actually help you mash people.
  • Itz Luigi Bitch!
    Itz Luigi Bitch! Members Posts: 240
    edited March 2010
    Options
    TKD will do nuthin for you but get yo ass kicCed when you try to utilize it...
  • adorable thughighnes
    adorable thughighnes Members Posts: 1,788 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

lol.............
  • htowntx
    edited March 2010
    Options

Lol........so I've heard......
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i did tkd from for 3 years when i was young...it was cool it just got old quick.....if you looking for intensity then tkd is not the move

Brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay thai boxing will both get you into shape quick at the same time you gain discipline
  • dpresidential
    dpresidential Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think for shedding pounds and increasing stamina all while upping your "self defense" skills, your best bet is MMA. You learn an assortment of techniques that help you in real life situations also. The one guy you don't want trying to bag your chick at the movie theater is an MMA dude. lol

Now, if you said you were trying to up your "street fight" skills though, MMA would still be good, but I would suggest Krav Maga as Punisher suggested. They teach you how to instinctively react to real life situations that pose a physical threat to you. It just teaches you how to make defense second nature. Someone grabs you, you react. Just like that.

However, for squaring up...MMA is king.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think for shedding pounds and increasing stamina all while upping your "self defense" skills, your best bet is MMA. You learn an assortment of techniques that help you in real life situations also. The one guy you don't want trying to bag your chick at the movie theater is an MMA dude. lol

Now, if you said you were trying to up your "street fight" skills though, MMA would still be good, but I would suggest Krav Maga as Punisher suggested. They teach you how to instinctively react to real life situations that pose a physical threat to you. It just teaches you how to make defense second nature. Someone grabs you, you react. Just like that.

However, for squaring up...MMA is king.

Are you trained in the arts?
  • htowntx
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Krav maga
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Are you trained in the arts?

Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. I used to spar in tournaments on the East Coast when I was in my teens however I stopped training because my former Sensei stopped teaching(personal problems) and the second school I went...it was too "taboo-ey." Basically, it stopped becoming "train human weapons" and starting becoming "Let's make money off of the karate craze." I am strongly considering going back into it though. Krav Maga is my first choice, as I want to be able to truly defend myself it street situations. MMA is second choice. Brazilian Jujitsu is good becaus eof the grappling but if you get jumped, you're assed out.

The thing is, after having my Blakc belt and still training, I still didn't feel like I could protect myself as well as I should so I'm looking now...
  • htowntx
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. I used to spar in tournaments on the East Coast when I was in my teens however I stopped training because my former Sensei stopped teaching(personal problems) and the second school I went...it was too "taboo-ey." Basically, it stopped becoming "train human weapons" and starting becoming "Let's make money off of the karate craze." I am strongly considering going back into it though. Krav Maga is my first choice, as I want to be able to truly defend myself it street situations. MMA is second choice. Brazilian Jujitsu is good becaus eof the grappling but if you get jumped, you're assed out.

The thing is, after having my Blakc belt and still training, I still didn't feel like I could protect myself as well as I should so I'm looking now...

How long did it take u to get your black belt?
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    htowntx wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with Krav maga

Youtube it. it is pretty good, but not for what you want though. I am sure you want to get in shape as a priority, again, MMA for you.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Martial arts is only worth it if you take it seriously, if you don't you just gonna get yo ass beat.
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How long did it take u to get your black belt?

I got my 1st Degree certificate in 5 years.
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    CMac wrote: »
    Martial arts is only worth it if you take it seriously, if you don't you just gonna get yo ass beat.

This...is true. Most people will not realize that. Like for me...I really don't know how well I would defend myself in a real life situation as I haven't been in a fight in forever. So, it is like boxing...you can study all the boxing manuals you want...however, if you don't really get in the ring, you will get you ass whooped. However, Krav Maga, and MMA are full on intense programs that force you to instinctively react in those situations.
  • htowntx
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Youtube it. it is pretty good, but not for what you want though. I am sure you want to get in shape as a priority, again, MMA for you.

Oh nah I'm looking to improve my self defense too.......the last fight I was in I got my ass handed to me, no dizz
  • htowntx
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I got my 1st Degree certificate in 5 years.

When did u start training
  • THEsweetheart92
    THEsweetheart92 Members Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    well i did karate when i was younger..
    it was nice... not something to go crazy for.
    i think that goes for martial arts too.
  • htowntx
    edited April 2010
    Options
    well i did karate when i was younger..
    it was nice... not something to go crazy for.
    i think that goes for martial arts too.

Have u ever used what u were taught in a fight?
  • THEsweetheart92
    THEsweetheart92 Members Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Have u ever used what u were taught in a fight?

i donkey kicked a girl in the face when she was coming at me from behind.
    that's it.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jiu Jitsu is the best thing you can practice.

Forget all the other ? .

Even if a ? does krav Manga if he gets close to a ? that does jiu jitsu is a warp.There's like a zillion locks you can do to a ? .
  • P-Unit Productions
    P-Unit Productions Members Posts: 963 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    [video=dailymotion;x7dfv4]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7dfv4_martin-martin-lawrence-dragonfly-jo_fun[/video]I studied unda Bruce lee, he was on the second floor and i was on the first.....lol