im thinking of taking up martial arts......input needed...

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    CMac wrote: »
    Martial arts is only worth it if you take it seriously, if you don't you just gonna get yo ass beat.

true ? . just like anything else, its what the person puts into it.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Krav Maga is for ? jews.
  • louis the great
    louis the great Members Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? be fightin where yall from??????? Nothin but Gun play round these parts.
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    smh @ the taebow-hoeness....
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It all depends on what you're looking for. Right now I do a couple Japanese sword arts. As far as practical self defense, they are pretty much worthless. But the kendo is good for keeping in shape and does offer some help in building stamina and reflexes due to the constant fighting. If you're just looking for recreation, just visit a few places and see what looks the most fun.

However, if you are in it for the actual self defense aspect then that MMA option is the best out of the two you named. Although, I'd say good old fashioned boxing is problably the best for gaining the skills to defend yourself quickly. Karate forms like Shotokan and Kyokushin are also good due to the frequency of sparring and the fact that much of it is full contact. Whatever you do, check the place out first. There are a lot of McDojos out there, even of the MMA variety. You have to verify that the product is actually worth your time and money.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief, BJJ is no the greatest art for self defense in a street situation. It's great in the UFC because that's a controlled environment. Real life isn't like that. Sure, if a BJJ expert takes on someone with no real experience, it's going to be lights out for that person in a 1 on 1 situation. However, it's very rare to have a 1 on 1 situation these days. The last thing you want to do when there is the possibility that someone might jump in, is get on the ground and roll around. That's gonna end up with you getting your head stomped in. Being able to knock someone out with one or two strikes >>> being able to choke them out after 5 minutes of struggling on the ground.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    boxing and wrestling is like all u need forreal
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thats what i take up,martial arts,im a 3rd degree black belt,cause me bruce leroy
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Krav Maga is, very good I'd also suggest wing chun. imo if, you are looking for protection do not waist time studying Jui Jitsu. The worse place to be in a fight outside of an mma ring is on the ground. Study hand to hand combat techniques, knife fighting (easy to conceal and carry) and purchase yourself a legal firearm.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Kwan Dai
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    Like I said, 75% of all fights end up on the ground...

You wanna have BJJ training or Wing Chun training when the fight goes there?

Bounce with those MMA jacked up statics. If, you are in a situation where you are outnumbered (which happens quite often) going to the ground is absolutely the stupidest thing to do. Similar to keeping your left hand down while your opponent continuously pounds you with left hand jabs. Just dumb. If, by some remote chance you find yourself one and one in an octagon then BJJ till you're blue in the face. I'd also like to introduce the real life idea of getting bitten, eye gouged, elbowed, small joint locked etc etc. All of which, are illegal in MMA. MMA and Boxing isn't, true to life. They are combat sports in controlled environments. I have studied various martial and it all boils down to a few of things. Prepartion, heart and smarts.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Kwan Dai
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    Ummm... I'm talking street fights good sir... Remember not everybody is going to fight the way you want them to, and being properly prepared is the best way to go...

Think about it...

Striking
    throws/takedowns
    ground game...

Honestly what else would be needed for a one on one street fight, besides weapons training...

I understand you have love for TMA's but lets be real for a sec, knowing how to get off the ground or how to fight on the ground is just as important as striking...
    There is nothing wrong with applying a combat sport technique to real life...

I'd rather do that then try to apply point fighting to real life...

Also I'm not saying you should take the fight to the ground, no but if it should happen to go there, then....

I believe I mentioned prepartion as a key point. One on one fights just aren't a reality for me. As every fight I have ever been in involved mutiple combatants. What I am saying is, BJJ had it's strengths many of which are pointless out side of the ring as, there are many ways to escape grappling techniques which requires no grappling training at all. A fighter who is willing to do any and everything for survival is the most dangerous. Although, I do have a soft spot for TMA which, by themselves do nothing if, the practitioner believes they can do a bunch of fancy forms then, commence to whipping ass. It doesn't work that way. What I like about the styles I mentioned is, that they are quick and ? . They get to the point and teach the practitioner that being ? is totally ok when in a fight for survival.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2010
    Options