? is a product of the mind

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
How can you be certain ? isn't just a product of the mind? Everything that's included as well, prayer, miracles, divine intervention etc.

Let's be quite honest, you don't know if ? TRULY exists, which is why you have faith. You can just state it does because of things that seemly happen by this ? .

We all know the mind is the most powerful tool known to mankind, it's the one thing that has completely molded our lives and everything around it. It's created everything we know. In ancient cultures everything had a ? to it; earthquakes, rain, thunder, lightening, wind, hurricanes etc etc. Eventually humans narrowed it down to ONE ? , obviously to make things easier in keeping track of ? . As time went on, the stories of ? kept on going, as the greatest myth ever told. Eventually it seems like it's become hardwired into society, and in our minds we seem to always bring up ? , whether it exists or not. Being hardwired, throughout evolution, is it just a simple fact that we subconsciously always want to attribute the "divine" things to ? just because WE don't know how to explain it? Just because one person survives a major accident and the rest die, it seems like it automatically has to be ? that has "saved" this person for whatever reason. Why can it not just be chance, just a "roll of the dice" that this person lived? Right place, position, etc?

Prayers aren't true, they never have been. It's a product of the mind, if I was to pray for a new house, eventually I would come upon one because I've done my work to get there. If I get there, as a believer, I'd believe it was ? , not ME that has done this. Why?

Miracles, what exactly is a miracle? We don't see people being raised from the dead, or people walk on water (Cris Angel doesn't count that cheat!), we don't see people creating meals out of thin air or do we see water being changed into some form of alcohol. We consider miracles cheating death, beating the odds, something happening that is "extraordinary" that's out of the ordinary. Why aren't these just chance? Why can it not be chance?

Why does no believer ever really take acceptance for their own? Why is everything that's "good" attributed to ? ? Why can it not be because you on your own achieved it? Why is everything bad blamed on the "devil"? Why can people not accept their own mistakes and trials without saying, "Oh, it's the devil using me".

I feel there really needs to be tests done on the brain of many believers and non-believers to see where this all stems from. Some how we are def. subconsciously drawing out ? from within ourselves due to our pasts ancestors and our growing up today.

Your thoughts?

(btw, none of my questions here are rhetorical either)

Comments

• Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Man made ? not the other way around

C/S this thread
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This :
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    :DWhen ? speaks.........,

Why does his voice always comes out a mans mouth?
    fiat_money wrote: »
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Because "? " is a mental noumenon produced by those very same men.
    You think ? is a mental disorder?
    How can we treat this?
    Not necessarily a mental "disorder", but a sensation or perception produced within the mind.

Kind of like how people can have mental "conversations" with themselves from various viewpoints, it doesn't mean the personae representing the viewpoints actually exist as individual humans.
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lol @ Nelly creating the theme song for you ? ' afterlife

"It's gettin hot in hurrr (SO HOT)!"

Too bad the removal of clothes won't help though...
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    iMpIoDez wrote: »
    lol @ Nelly creating the theme song for you ? ' afterlife

"It's gettin hot in hurrr (SO HOT)!"

Too bad the removal of clothes won't help though...
    "Afterlife"? As in death?

You're saying we're going to die in the heat?
  • RiGGA
    edited July 2011
    Options
    "Afterlife"? As in death?

You're saying we're going to die in the heat?

I'm saying you need to be buried with an operating air conditioner, maybe ? will find it humorous enough to give you another chance at life in an attempt to find Him...
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    iMpIoDez wrote: »
    I'm saying you need to be buried with an operating air conditioner, maybe ? will find it humorous enough to give you another chance at life in an attempt to find Him...
    But I plan to make plans to get cremated.

I guess cremation--which is extremely hot and happens after life--better fits your earlier post.
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Nooo not heat stroke

womp womp womp..
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Good post OP, I agree with the concept that ? is a part of your mind or is not. I think parents and your environment help to put this product into your mind. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to tell if I would have come to ? without being directed towards the thought because I was brought up with a mom that attended church every Sunday and was told stories of ? at a early age. I don't blame my mom or dad to a certain point for that because they only know what they know and thought it would give some foundation. Lastly, I have to say ? is a part of my thought process though my thoughts are not really good about someone that has all power and really never forces it on anyone other than in negative ways. It is better for my health that I just find a way to get to the point where I don't even think about something or someone that I don't particularly care for in theory.
  • RiGGA
    edited July 2011
    Options
    But I plan to make plans to get cremated.

I guess cremation--which is extremely hot and happens after life--better fits your earlier post.

Ahh getting started early huh?
  • RiGGA
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Won't matter if you're cremated, physically, because the soul doesn't die although it can feel torment pain and joy of everlasting life.

So when your soul burns in hell, eternally, your soul will feel something far far worse than your lifeless corpse can feel, during cremation

this guy knows where I was going with the whole AC thing lol
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    won't matter if you're cremated, physically, because the soul doesn't die although it can feel torment pain and joy of everlasting life.

so when your soul burns in hell, eternally, your soul will feel something far far worse than your lifeless corpse can feel, during cremation

lolololololololol
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Won't matter if you're cremated, physically, because the soul doesn't die although it can feel torment pain and joy of everlasting life.

So when your soul burns in hell, eternally, your soul will feel something far far worse than your lifeless corpse can feel, during cremation
    Oh, so that's a reference to the mythical place known as "hell".

Which one are you referring to specifically? Islam's "hell", Ancient Greece's "hell", Buddhism's "hell", Ancient Egypt's "hell", Zoroastrianism's "hell", etc?

And by "soul", do you mean "nephesh"?
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    this thread is entertaining
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    Good post OP, I agree with the concept that ? is a part of your mind or is not. I think parents and your environment help to put this product into your mind. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to tell if I would have come to ? without being directed towards the thought because I was brought up with a mom that attended church every Sunday and was told stories of ? at a early age. I don't blame my mom or dad to a certain point for that because they only know what they know and thought it would give some foundation. Lastly, I have to say ? is a part of my thought process though my thoughts are not really good about someone that has all power and really never forces it on anyone other than in negative ways. It is better for my health that I just find a way to get to the point where I don't even think about something or someone that I don't particularly care for in theory.

I was born into religious family too but some reason as a kid i just never really bought into it when i went to church it was just something i had to go to every Sunday.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The Mind of Man is ? .
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Guru Savaresvara says:
    All things are but inherent phenomenon of the mind.
    Apart from the mind nothing exists, not even the minutest particle.

Suhrellekha:
    Wisdom does not arise without concentration.
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    How can you be certain ? isn't just a product of the mind? Everything that's included as well, prayer, miracles, divine intervention etc.

Let's be quite honest, you don't know if ? TRULY exists, which is why you have faith. You can just state it does because of things that seemly happen by this ? .

We all know the mind is the most powerful tool known to mankind, it's the one thing that has completely molded our lives and everything around it. It's created everything we know. In ancient cultures everything had a ? to it; earthquakes, rain, thunder, lightening, wind, hurricanes etc etc. Eventually humans narrowed it down to ONE ? , obviously to make things easier in keeping track of ? . As time went on, the stories of ? kept on going, as the greatest myth ever told. Eventually it seems like it's become hardwired into society, and in our minds we seem to always bring up ? , whether it exists or not. Being hardwired, throughout evolution, is it just a simple fact that we subconsciously always want to attribute the "divine" things to ? just because WE don't know how to explain it? Just because one person survives a major accident and the rest die, it seems like it automatically has to be ? that has "saved" this person for whatever reason. Why can it not just be chance, just a "roll of the dice" that this person lived? Right place, position, etc?

Prayers aren't true, they never have been. It's a product of the mind, if I was to pray for a new house, eventually I would come upon one because I've done my work to get there. If I get there, as a believer, I'd believe it was ? , not ME that has done this. Why?

Miracles, what exactly is a miracle? We don't see people being raised from the dead, or people walk on water (Cris Angel doesn't count that cheat!), we don't see people creating meals out of thin air or do we see water being changed into some form of alcohol. We consider miracles cheating death, beating the odds, something happening that is "extraordinary" that's out of the ordinary. Why aren't these just chance? Why can it not be chance?

Why does no believer ever really take acceptance for their own? Why is everything that's "good" attributed to ? ? Why can it not be because you on your own achieved it? Why is everything bad blamed on the "devil"? Why can people not accept their own mistakes and trials without saying, "Oh, it's the devil using me".

I feel there really needs to be tests done on the brain of many believers and non-believers to see where this all stems from. Some how we are def. subconsciously drawing out ? from within ourselves due to our pasts ancestors and our growing up today.

Your thoughts?

(btw, none of my questions here are rhetorical either)

Matthew 24:10-11: "At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people."

THE REASON FOR FAITH 'THE EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN" IS BECAUSE ? IS NOT GOING TO MAKE YOU SERVE HIM.. IF ? CAME DOWN RIGHT NOW, STOOD STILL IN THE SKY.. ANNOUNCED HISSELF.. DID ALL OF THESE SIGNS AND MIRACLE.. DO YOU NOT THINK THAT IS HIM MAKING YOU BELIEVE?...HE WANTS US TO WANT TO SERVE HIM...

It's created everything we know. In ancient cultures everything had a ? to it; earthquakes, rain, thunder, lightening, wind, hurricanes etc etc. Eventually humans narrowed it down to ONE ? , obviously to make things easier in keeping track of ? .

? IS THE REASON FOR EARTH QUAKES, WINDS, ETC... EVEN IN BIBLICAL TIMES, PEOPLE WORSHIPPED OTHER GODS.. STATUES.. EVEN TODAY, PEOPLE WORSHIP MONEY AND POSSESSIONS, THESE EARTHLY THINGS ARE THEIR GODS, HENCE HIM SAYING "THOU SALT HAVE NO ? BEFORE ME".. SO THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HUMANS NARROWING NOTHING DOWN.. ITS PEOPLE TODAY THAT DONT EVEN BELIEVE IN A HIGH BEING...

Why can it not just be chance, just a "roll of the dice" that this person lived? Right place, position, etc?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LUCK.. "EITHER UR BLESSED OR UR NOT".. EITHER ? IS LOOKING OUT FOR YOU, OR ITS UR TIME TO GO...

PRAYER IS TRUE, ALWAYS HAVE, ALWAYS WILL.. EVEN JESUS PRAYED.. U CAN OBTAIN ALL THE WORLDLY RICHES AND NOT HAVE ASKED ? FOR IT.. BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN IF YOU LOSE YOUR SOUL, DIE AND BURN IN ETERNAL FIRE?....JUST LIKE THE BIBLE SAY'S "IT IS EASIER FOR A CAMEL TO GO THROUGH THE EYE OF A NEEDLE THAN A RICH MAN TO GO TO HEAVEN.. PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK THAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING BY NOT INCLUDING ? IN YOUR PLAN.. YOU THINK U ARE UR OWN MASTER AND YOU RUN THINGS....U CANT TAKE THAT HOUSE WITH YOU.. YOU THINK YOU'VE WON, BUT YOU REALLY LOST ONE!

ONCE AGAIN.. WOULD YOU REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY I MEAN REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY BE ABLE TO HANDLE SOMEONE BEING RAISED FROM THE DEAD.. WITH UR OWN 2 EYES?.. YOU DONT HAVE TO SEE PEOPLE CREATING MEALS OUT OF THIN AIR, BUT YOU DO SEE MIRACLE AND BLESSINGS ON A DAILY BASIS... JUST AN EXAMPLE.. WHEN A PERSON NEEDS HELP ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND SOMEONE COMES ALONG AND HELPS THEM...AND NOT ? THEM.. THOSE ARE BLESSING.. WHEN YOU GET THAT JOB THAT YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE REALLLLY QUALIFIED FOR, BUT ? SAW FAVOR IN YOU.. THATS A MIRACLE.... YOU CAN SAY "NAW, THATS JUST CHANCE, BLA BLA BLA.." BUT THATS HOW I SEE IT...

EVERYTHING GODD COMES FROM ? ..."1 Timothy 4:4...For everything ? created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,"

...EVERYTHING BAD THAT HAPPENS, DOES NOT COME FROM THE DEVIL....PEOPLE THAT BLAME EVERY BAD THING ON THE DEVIL ARE ONLY GIVING HIM PRAISE FOR SOMETHING THAT HE DIDNT DO.. IF RIGHT NOW, I GO HAVE SEX WITH A WOMAN OTHER THAN MY WIFE.. THATS MY CHOICE.. SATAN HAD NOTHIGN TO DO WITH THAT...

SO ON THAT POINT, I AGREE WITH YOU.. "THE LORD KNOWS MY HEART" DONT AMOUNT TO A HILL OF BEANS.. IF ? KNOWS UR HEART, THAT MEANS U KNOW IT TO, SO DO WHATS RIGHT AND STOP BLAMING THE DEVIL FOR THE BAD THATYOU WANT TO DO
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I promise mane..

Yall will give a ? a headache going back and 4th with yall over there same stuff on a daily basis!
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I remember when citing statements from a religious text was a good way of establishing the existence of the religion's proposed objectively unobservable/unmeasurable entity.

Wait. No I don't, that's never been the case.
  • toomy
    toomy Members Posts: 369
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think that before someone decides that they don't believe in ? that they examine the other side of the coin which is atheism. Atheist basically believe that two inanimate objects came together and created the Universe which begat everything else. If this is true then who created those two inanimate objects and who pushed those objects together? Who was the first 'pusher' that created the universe? IMO atheism is just as hard to believe as the belief in ? . So I guess you're going to have to choose your poison.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    toomy wrote: »
    ...Atheist basically believe that two inanimate objects came together and created the Universe which begat everything else...
    So did you make this up yourself or did you learn it from others?
  • toomy
    toomy Members Posts: 369
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So did you make this up yourself or did you learn it from others?

It came from when I was attending Philosophy class at college. The teacher was a white man. Are you happy now? :). I used one of your peeps as a reference.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Now, it is possible for my perception of ? to be a product of my mind. However if ? exists, then His Existence is not dependent on how great or how small I perceive Him to be.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    toomy wrote: »
    It came from when I was attending Philosophy class at college. The teacher was a white man. Are you happy now? :). I used one of your peeps as a reference.
    I don't know what makes you think I share some sort of comradery with philosophy teachers, but the statement of yours that I quoted exhibits a lack of knowledge pertaining to the definition of "atheism" and a severe lack of knowledge pertaining to theories for the continuing observable expansion of the universe.

In other words, both you and your teacher are quite incorrect.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    All works of the same ? , all equal, no difference, same eternal damnation just, explain in different forms
    At least three of the religions I posted are polytheistic and Buddhism has no godhead, so they can't all be the same gods. Additionally, their "hells" are all quite different, so they can't all have the "same eternal damnation" either.