? is a product of the mind

Options

Comments

• Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    I remember when citing statements from a religious text was a good way of establishing the existence of the religion's proposed objectively unobservable/unmeasurable entity.

Wait. No I don't, that's never been the case.

Lmao that sums up the responds from DoU
  • toomy
    toomy Members Posts: 369
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I don't know what makes you think I share some sort of comradery with philosophy teachers, but the statement of yours that I quoted exhibits a lack of knowledge pertaining to the definition of "atheism" and a severe lack of knowledge pertaining to theories for the continuing observable expansion of the universe.

In other words, both you and your teacher are quite incorrect.

What's incorrect about it? ? either created the Universe and everything else or it came about on it's own? If you can't define something in a sentence or two then IMO it's a bunch of bull.
  • toomy
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You know, actually...they believe;

that there was nothing, and that nothing happened to nothing...and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything! And then a bunch of everything just magically rearranged itself for no reason, whatsoever, into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs and ? -Erectus...

0+0 can't make 1 bro.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

that there was nothing, and that nothing happened to nothing...and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything! And then a bunch of everything just magically rearranged itself for no reason, whatsoever, into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs and ? -Erectus...

LOL I swear you think you're so slick with this
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    toomy wrote: »
    What's incorrect about it?...
    The underlined portion is incorrect:
    ...Atheist basically believe that two inanimate objects came together and created the Universe which begat everything else...
    Atheism is disbelief or lack of belief in ? (s). So, everything after "Atheist basically believe..." that isn't the definition of atheism is automatically wrong. Excluding the first fallacy, the red portion is your description of what you believe atheists believe to be the cause of the continuing observable expansion of the universe. Perhaps you were trying to describe what you think the "big bang" theory or the "big bounce" theory entail, but neither theory claims that "two inanimate objects came together...". In fact, I know of no such theory as that. So the red portion is also incorrect.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options

Nah, the belief that everything must come from some form of magical or supernatural event/entity is a theistic one.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yes, they are all the same...just explained in each of their own individual humane and imperfect capacities.. For centuries, now.
    So you're saying that, discounting their individual/unique differences and characteristics, they are all the same?
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ishi wrote: »
    Lmao that sums up the responds from DoU
    Word, ? like that holds the same bearing as the napkin religion.
    j1OXk.jpg
  • toomy
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The underlined portion is incorrect:Atheism is disbelief or lack of belief in ? (s). So, everything after "Atheist basically believe..." that isn't the definition of atheism is automatically wrong. Excluding the first fallacy, the red portion is your description of what you believe atheists believe to be the cause of the continuing observable expansion of the universe. Perhaps you were trying to describe what you think the "big bang" theory or the "big bounce" theory entail, but neither theory claims that "two inanimate objects came together...". In fact, I know of no such theory as that. So the red portion is also incorrect.

You are getting your definitions straight from wikipedia. I read the wikipedia definition months ago and I don't agree with it. If atheism is the disbelief in ? (s) then who created the Universe and who is creating the new planets and stars that are always popping up? Robots?
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You are getting your definitions straight from wikipedia. I read the wikipedia definition months ago and I don't agree with it...
    Nah, "atheism" is such an easy word, "wikipedia definitions" aren't necessary to realize exactly what it means.

The prefix "a-" means "without" or "no", the suffix "-ism" means "belief in", and "theos" means "? "; so using that alone, it's easy to realize that "atheism" means "without belief in ? " or "no belief in ? ".

You don't have to agree with the definition, it only requires a basic comprehension of the English language.
  • toomy
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Nah, "atheism" is such an easy word, "wikipedia definitions" aren't necessary to realize exactly what it means.

The prefix "a-" means "without" or "no", the suffix "-ism" means "belief in", and "theos" means "? "; so using that alone, it's easy to realize that "atheism" means "without belief in ? " or "no belief in ? ".

You don't have to agree with the definition, it only requires a basic comprehension of the English language.

Right. So tell me why isn't atheism connected with the creation theory? If atheism is disbelief in ? then shouldn't that automatically equals that atheist believe that ? did not create the Universe and everything else that begat it?
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Word, ? like that holds the same bearing as the napkin religion.
    j1OXk.jpg

Lol Exactly bruh

Hey

Have you ever watch Bill Maher's movie religulous?
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Right. So tell me why isn't atheism connected with the creation theory? If atheism is disbelief in ? then shouldn't that automatically equals that atheist believe that ? did not create the Universe and everything else that begat it?
    Being an atheist would automatically exclude one from believing that ? (s) have or haven't done anything. So yes, that would include the theories that ? (s) created the universe.
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lol Exactly bruh

Hey

Have you ever watch Bill Maher's movie religulous?
    Only about 10 minutes of it.
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Only about 10 minutes of it.

Word you didn't like it?

He son'd so many people in that movie
    I'm watching it for the 3rd time ahaha
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Word you didn't like it?

He son'd so many people in that movie
    I'm watching it for the 3rd time ahaha
    Short attention span and I easily lose interest in documentaries.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Fiat, thou shalt not ? . Stop murdering the thread yo.
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Short attention span and I easily lose interest in documentaries.

Here is a good five minutes gives you a feel of it

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    How can you be certain ? isn't just a product of the mind? Everything that's included as well, prayer, miracles, divine intervention etc.

Let's be quite honest, you don't know if ? TRULY exists, which is why you have faith. You can just state it does because of things that seemly happen by this ? .

We all know the mind is the most powerful tool known to mankind, it's the one thing that has completely molded our lives and everything around it. It's created everything we know. In ancient cultures everything had a ? to it; earthquakes, rain, thunder, lightening, wind, hurricanes etc etc. Eventually humans narrowed it down to ONE ? , obviously to make things easier in keeping track of ? . As time went on, the stories of ? kept on going, as the greatest myth ever told. Eventually it seems like it's become hardwired into society, and in our minds we seem to always bring up ? , whether it exists or not. Being hardwired, throughout evolution, is it just a simple fact that we subconsciously always want to attribute the "divine" things to ? just because WE don't know how to explain it? Just because one person survives a major accident and the rest die, it seems like it automatically has to be ? that has "saved" this person for whatever reason. Why can it not just be chance, just a "roll of the dice" that this person lived? Right place, position, etc?

Prayers aren't true, they never have been. It's a product of the mind, if I was to pray for a new house, eventually I would come upon one because I've done my work to get there. If I get there, as a believer, I'd believe it was ? , not ME that has done this. Why?

Miracles, what exactly is a miracle? We don't see people being raised from the dead, or people walk on water (Cris Angel doesn't count that cheat!), we don't see people creating meals out of thin air or do we see water being changed into some form of alcohol. We consider miracles cheating death, beating the odds, something happening that is "extraordinary" that's out of the ordinary. Why aren't these just chance? Why can it not be chance?

Why does no believer ever really take acceptance for their own? Why is everything that's "good" attributed to ? ? Why can it not be because you on your own achieved it? Why is everything bad blamed on the "devil"? Why can people not accept their own mistakes and trials without saying, "Oh, it's the devil using me".

I feel there really needs to be tests done on the brain of many believers and non-believers to see where this all stems from. Some how we are def. subconsciously drawing out ? from within ourselves due to our pasts ancestors and our growing up today.

Your thoughts?

(btw, none of my questions here are rhetorical either)

It's Easy because I see the works and wonders of the Most High, that even though I knew of him since my youth. I still tested him and he and showed and proved who he IS. And 2nd, let's see, I seen Ghosts and seen Rev's bear witness that a soul didnt want to accept death and haven't crossed over yet. And seen demons with my bare eye's, ME AND MY COUSIN.

SO I KNOW WITH OUT OF A DOUBT that THE MOST HIGH IS REAL and the Devil is real too, and Plus im living proof of the israel in the flesh
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jesus - I'm not a writer I'm a biter
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Here is a good five minutes gives you a feel of it

Start at 3:16 for maximum ownage

LOL. Watching that and "To Catch A Predator" at the same time is the GOAT.

Good ? though.icon14.gif
  • fiat_money
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Nope. That's not what I said, and you can clearly see that.

I said they each have their own unique, individual way, of explaining/defining/worshiping/following the same ? . It's defined as 'different churches' according to this jewel written thousands of years ago called, the book of revelations.
    The religions posted have widespread fundamental differences:
    At least three of the religions I posted are polytheistic and Buddhism has no godhead, so they can't all be the same gods. Additionally, their "hells" are all quite different, so they can't all have the "same eternal damnation" either.
    The only way to equate them as all "explaining/defining/worshiping/following the same ? ", would be to discount these differences.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ? is a product of everything in existence.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Matthew 24:10-11: "At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people."

THE REASON FOR FAITH 'THE EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN" IS BECAUSE ? IS NOT GOING TO MAKE YOU SERVE HIM.. IF ? CAME DOWN RIGHT NOW, STOOD STILL IN THE SKY.. ANNOUNCED HISSELF.. DID ALL OF THESE SIGNS AND MIRACLE.. DO YOU NOT THINK THAT IS HIM MAKING YOU BELIEVE?...HE WANTS US TO WANT TO SERVE HIM...

No, the reason for faith is because you don't know if ? is there or not. This is why idiotic believers love to say, "well it's simple JUST HAVE FAITH". It's basically a way of saying, hey we don't truly know ? is there either but we're going to say there is just because ___________________.

? IS THE REASON FOR EARTH QUAKES, WINDS, ETC... EVEN IN BIBLICAL TIMES, PEOPLE WORSHIPPED OTHER GODS.. STATUES.. EVEN TODAY, PEOPLE WORSHIP MONEY AND POSSESSIONS, THESE EARTHLY THINGS ARE THEIR GODS, HENCE HIM SAYING "THOU SALT HAVE NO ? BEFORE ME".. SO THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HUMANS NARROWING NOTHING DOWN.. ITS PEOPLE TODAY THAT DONT EVEN BELIEVE IN A HIGH BEING...

? isn't the reason for any NATURAL disaster, we know how to explain these things today whereas back then they didn't so they had to attribute this to a ? . Some earthquake ? was mad at some tribe, so it sent an earthquake, we know that isn't true. Earthquakes happen when plate tectonics shift, the pressure builds and then you have an earthquake. This is what also shaped our lands, created mountains etc, not ? .

People attributed a ? to everything because they didn't know how to explain it, eventually it became easier to say there is ONE ? , others shall now cease to exist, and attribute everything to this one ? . Simple right? No longer does human civilization need to please 12 Gods or whatever, they can just please one. We could've easily adopted the whole Greek Gods and said ? /Jesus/Holy Spirit was all mythology.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LUCK.. "EITHER UR BLESSED OR UR NOT".. EITHER ? IS LOOKING OUT FOR YOU, OR ITS UR TIME TO GO...

So freewill is definitely an illusion. Whats the point of prayer then? If it's just you're blessed or not, why pray for others? You obviously think everything is ordained by ? already.
    PRAYER IS TRUE, ALWAYS HAVE, ALWAYS WILL.. EVEN JESUS PRAYED.. U CAN OBTAIN ALL THE WORLDLY RICHES AND NOT HAVE ASKED ? FOR IT.. BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN IF YOU LOSE YOUR SOUL, DIE AND BURN IN ETERNAL FIRE?....JUST LIKE THE BIBLE SAY'S "IT IS EASIER FOR A CAMEL TO GO THROUGH THE EYE OF A NEEDLE THAN A RICH MAN TO GO TO HEAVEN.. PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK THAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING BY NOT INCLUDING ? IN YOUR PLAN.. YOU THINK U ARE UR OWN MASTER AND YOU RUN THINGS....U CANT TAKE THAT HOUSE WITH YOU.. YOU THINK YOU'VE WON, BUT YOU REALLY LOST ONE!

Like KTULU said, you and DoU go pray for a mountain to be moved into the sea, one that isn't even NEAR the sea and come back and share the news link with us so we know prayer is true. Remember, your Jesus said you could do this.
    ONCE AGAIN.. WOULD YOU REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY I MEAN REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY BE ABLE TO HANDLE SOMEONE BEING RAISED FROM THE DEAD.. WITH UR OWN 2 EYES?.. YOU DONT HAVE TO SEE PEOPLE CREATING MEALS OUT OF THIN AIR, BUT YOU DO SEE MIRACLE AND BLESSINGS ON A DAILY BASIS... JUST AN EXAMPLE.. WHEN A PERSON NEEDS HELP ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND SOMEONE COMES ALONG AND HELPS THEM...AND NOT ? THEM.. THOSE ARE BLESSING.. WHEN YOU GET THAT JOB THAT YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE REALLLLY QUALIFIED FOR, BUT ? SAW FAVOR IN YOU.. THATS A MIRACLE.... YOU CAN SAY "NAW, THATS JUST CHANCE, BLA BLA BLA.." BUT THATS HOW I SEE IT...

Could I handle it, yes, I'm not ? made. Again, ? ordains ? . So why pray for a job when ? doesn't have that ordained for you in the first place? If it's ? 's favoring, why waste time praying?

EVERYTHING GODD COMES FROM ? ..."1 Timothy 4:4...For everything ? created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,"

...EVERYTHING BAD THAT HAPPENS, DOES NOT COME FROM THE DEVIL....PEOPLE THAT BLAME EVERY BAD THING ON THE DEVIL ARE ONLY GIVING HIM PRAISE FOR SOMETHING THAT HE DIDNT DO.. IF RIGHT NOW, I GO HAVE SEX WITH A WOMAN OTHER THAN MY WIFE.. THATS MY CHOICE.. SATAN HAD NOTHIGN TO DO WITH THAT...

SO ON THAT POINT, I AGREE WITH YOU.. "THE LORD KNOWS MY HEART" DONT AMOUNT TO A HILL OF BEANS.. IF ? KNOWS UR HEART, THAT MEANS U KNOW IT TO, SO DO WHATS RIGHT AND STOP BLAMING THE DEVIL FOR THE BAD THATYOU WANT TO DO

Again, ordained. So you have to believe everything is set out as a blue print. Everything was planned, ordained, prepared by ? . Life is an illusion. So in a sense you are a worshiping robot, you just don't know it because ? is a pretty good magician to you.