Agree or Disagree: Jay-Z and Kanye have the same number of classics

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    reasonable doubt isnt classic. just because a ? drop a debut dont make it classic. ? you 90s crackbabies. NOBODY was checkin for Jay Z in 96. album didnt go gold until 98 so what that tell you. any album with aint no ? is automatically DQ from being a classic. like i asked before what makes it classic? someone please give me an educated answer so i can ? . please tell me what Jay Z was doing in 96 that was ahead of the game when you had a stable of New York rappers releasing albums in their primes. If RD is a classic then everything that dropped in 96 was classic.

Illmatic sold the same amount of albums as Reasonable Doubt, does it not make it a classic since the albums like Ready to Die, ? , 36 Chambers, and The Chronic had more commercial success? The only difference between Reasonable Doubt and Illmatic back then was a 1 mic rating in the Source and some Asian ? over at the Source recommending the perfect rating. Reasonable Doubt went gold within 12 months after it realease and it didn't go platinum till 2002. What makes it classic, what makes anything classic:opinion, replay value, influence,etc.

If you're gonna be a hater and try to play off RD as this marginal album then you would have to do that with Illmatic,Da Shinnin, Enta Da Stage, etc that didn't garner great commercial success.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    illogics wrote: »
    Straight Foolishness

"I am the stone that the builder refused/I am the visual, the inspiration, that made lady sing the blues/I am the spark that makes your ideas bright/ Same spark that lights the dark so that you can know your left from your right/I am the ballot in the box, the bullet in the gun/the inner glow, that lets you know to call your brother son/the story thats just begun, a promise of whats to come/And I'mma remain a soldier till the war is won,won, won"

Offhead^^^ :Does the Dougie:
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay has 3 hands down, and American Gangster to be the 4th in a few years.

Kanye has 2: Late Registration and College Drop out
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    man some of yall make it so hard to have serious discussion.
  • Gangsta Shit
    Gangsta Shit Members Posts: 1,025 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    smh ? with lady gaga in they av

?
  • Just2C
    Just2C Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay has 4: Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint, Black Album, and American Gangster

Kanye has 2: College Dropout and Late Registration
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Just2C wrote: »
    Jay has 4: Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint, Black Album, and American Gangster

Kanye has 2: College Dropout and Late Registration

That tiger in your avi needs to be put down. There is no excuse for that kind of ugliness to exist in MY world
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    FIVE MICS
    Kanye - TCD

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
    Jay-Z - Blue Print

4.5 MICS
    Kanye - Late Registration

Bigavelli wrote: »
    Kanye West only classic is College Dropout

Jay Z doesn't have a classic IMO his best Album is Reasonable Doubt but not a pure classic IMO
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    FIVE MICS
    Kanye - TCD

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
    Jay-Z - Blue Print

4.5 MICS

college dropout got 4.5
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    college dropout got 4.5

plotbuttonsmall.jpg
  • ClemsonKUjayhawks215
    ClemsonKUjayhawks215 Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i CANT STAND Jay-z but to say reasonable doubt isnt a classic and to say u dont hear ? banging it in the wheel is crazy.....yall must live in iowa some where....SMH@ ? saying only on the IC is reasonable doubt a classic....WTF wrong wit yall and again this is coming from someone who dont listen to anything post- black album
  • sTaY_TrUe
    sTaY_TrUe Members Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    1st off RD is an undeniable classic. I can't take any ? serious who denies this, its not debatable.

Jay has 3 classics... RD, Blueprint and the Black Album

Ye has 2 classics.... College Dropout and Late Registration

I'm on the fence with Graduation and MBDTF but they are damn near classics too. Same with American Gangster. Maybe in a few more years.
  • Gangsta Shit
    Gangsta Shit Members Posts: 1,025 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    FIVE MICS
    Kanye - TCD

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
    Jay-Z - Blue Print

4.5 MICS

nobody give a ? about source ratings

? ?
  • I MUST WIN
    I MUST WIN Members Posts: 208
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited July 2011
    Options
    college dropout is kanye's worst album musically but its still a classic.
    Kanye: LR, Graduation, MDBTF, CD
    Jay: RD, TB1, TBA
  • KenpachiZaraki
    KenpachiZaraki Members Posts: 17
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay-Z this, Jay-Z that
    Jay-Z this, Jay-Z that
    Jay-Z that, Jay-Z this
    Get off Jay-Z ?
    What y'all ? get front page articles, y'all mention Jay-Z name
    Jay-Z, Jay-Z, in Jay-Z news
    I understand what y'all trying to do

BP2
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yall ? is killin me with that RD is a classic ? , that ? wasnt even a classic when it dropped. niggsd start callin it a classic after Jay-Z start calling it a classic after he thought he wont ever drop a classic album and that's around VOL 3/ROCLAFAMILIA era. then ? riders was like wait it was a classic SMH

The only classic Hov have is BLUEPRINT, the black album is 4.5 and RD is a 4 mic album. ? we already had OB4CL, IWW and RTD and RD was not even on par with those albums.SMH
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yes, they both have 1 classic at best.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jay has 2 (RD and Blueprint), Kanye has 1 (CD although I'd say his best album is MBDTF)
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    yall ? is killin me with that RD is a classic ? , that ? wasnt even a classic when it dropped. niggsd start callin it a classic after Jay-Z start calling it a classic after he thought he wont ever drop a classic album and that's around VOL 3/ROCLAFAMILIA era. then ? riders was like wait it was a classic SMH
    The only classic Hov have is BLUEPRINT, the black album is 4.5 and RD is a 4 mic album. ? we already had OB4CL, IWW and RTD and RD was not even on par with those albums.SMH

Co-sign the bolded
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    when did CD, and LR become classics? good music but classic? they are both better than MBDTF but MBDTF is his only classic

the same ? people say about Reasonable Doubt you can say the same for College Dropout and Late Registration
  • hiphophova
    hiphophova Members Posts: 710
    edited July 2011
    Options
    blueprint is the only recorded classic in this thread, just a bunch of good albums and trash.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    LMAO! @ TBA being a classic....I must've missed that memo.
  • rudygonz
    rudygonz Members Posts: 12
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kanye has more
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i give jay 1 and i give kanye 1

reasonable doubt and late registration

kanye flow and lyrics weren't good enough for me to give CD classic status. complete no go on blueprint. that wack ass jigga jigga that ? jigga kills the album. the rest of their albums i don't even consider mentioning them as even being near classics. Graduation and MBDTF were both good album but ? is nowhere near classic. Ye is spitting gibberish on half the tracks on MBDTF and ? saying that's a classic. Choke a south park writer with a fishstick.