Why is the Holocaust the height of historical tragedies (at least in the west)

Options
I Self Lord & Master
I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Social Lounge
I say at least in the West, because i cannot speak from any other perspective.

It's noticeably at the very top of the West's mental archives of catastrophic events with any and everything else being VERY distant as far as recognition and acknowledgment

Its arguable that it was the 'worse' happening within somewhat 'recent' history, but that isn't what this is about. It being arguably worse doesn't justify it completely overshadowing other atrocities which happened within the same general time frame.

Event's before and during the Holocaust's war left the Russians with a much higher body count, and that gets no respect

The Armenian Genocide during World War One has a difficult time even being officially recognized as a genocide. (huge disrespect)

Knowledge of events in Nanjing during WW2 wade in oblivion

Generally speaking, people even know who Pol ? is, or what happened under him

i can go on and on and on and on...

Again, this is NOT a contest, and im in no way shape or form saying that event is undeserving of condolences, but DAMN lol. We have selective hearts now? Its quite evident that we generally don't give a ? about foreign.....? , even domestic, hardships. So does the Holocaust garner so much care?

All kinds of ? went down then and still goes on today...but the Holocaust is in everyone's collective conscious and other ? barley gets a blip recognition, if any at all

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Because it is fairly recent, was huge in scale, and took place in Europe (the West).
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Not sure, being white and "jewish" may have something to do with it tho.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Not sure, being white and "jewish" may have something to do with it tho.

thats why i included russian and armenian ? in the post...they are white too

? , even chinese people are held in a respectable regard out here...
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    Because it is fairly recent, was huge in scale, and took place in Europe (the West).

all of europe isnt the west

Poland isnt in the west...it was in the Eastern Bloc, and thats where a considerable amount of the wrek went down

or did that Bloc distinction come after the war?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited July 2011
    Options
    thats why i included russian and armenian ? in the post...they are white too

? , even chinese people are held in a respectable regard out here...

I think it's only really pushed by the west, and spills over where it does. President Ahmadinejad asks the same question as you, brings up other tragedies, the west shrugs their shoulders and goes on defense claiming he doesn't care because he asks.
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm honestly not familiar with the Armenian Genocide, but I know of what was happening in Russia, and also of Pol ? .

Could it be because of the methods the Nazis used to ? ? Meaning victims weren't just shot and murdered, they were tortured, burned alive, buried alive, starved, forced to live in horrible conditions, intentionally given diseases, gassed, and experimented on by "the angel of death?"
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think it's only really pushed by the west, and spills over where it does. President Ahmadinejad asks the same question as you, brings up other tragedies, the west shrugs their shoulders and goes on defense claiming he doesn't care because he asks.

I really want to go to Iran. I have a few other locations on backlog...but im going to be there in a few years tops :D lol
  • Mr.Burns
    Mr.Burns Members Posts: 517
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lincoln wrote: »
    I'm honestly not familiar with the Armenian Genocide, but I know of what was happening in Russia, and also of Pol ? .

Could it be because of the methods the Nazis used to ? ? Meaning victims weren't just shot and murdered, they were tortured, burned alive, buried alive, starved, forced to live in horrible conditions, intentionally given diseases, gassed, and experimented on by "the angel of death?"

All of that has happened before and after. There's an interesting documentary called "Defamation" where an Israeli journalist looks at the role that the so called "Holocaust industry" shapes the politics of the West and Jews internationally. The doc accidentally makes the argument that the extermination of Jews in Europe is used to shame Europe and the West into giving in to the demands of Israel while simultaneously reinforcing this psychology of victim-hood among Jews in order to unify them internationally.

Defamation, good doc yall should check it out.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The way some people talk, you would think slavery ended last week. Why is that?

I know a rapper who is getting mild success at the regional level. We were at a show at a bar once and they stopped giving free drinks to his large group of freeloading friends. He said "This is JUST like slavery!" And he meant it too.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The way some people talk, you would think slavery ended last week. Why is that?

I know a rapper who is getting mild success at the regional level. We were at a show at a bar once and they stopped giving free drinks to his large group of freeloading friends. He said "This is JUST like slavery!" And he meant it too.

as much as an "act" you claim ur jewish persona was, your comments suggestions otherwise
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I actually dislike Jews for their clannishness, but I can't act like the Holocaust isn't a recent catastrophe and slavery is.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited July 2011
    Options
    but I can't act like the Holocaust isn't a recent catastrophe and slavery is.

which has what to do with the thread?

as if it not being as recent as the Holocaust means anything

You say that as if concern about slavery and its reverberations were acceptable or even on a comparable level to what the Holocaust recived

You're speaking as if there was concern for slavery victims that gradually expired. That isnt the case

save the silly ?

gon on

You're turning this into something else
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I was derailing. Ma bad.

Anyway, besides some Jews, I don't think anybody views the Holocaust as "the height of historical tragedies."
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Id say its hoisted onto that platform...and its given noticeably more attention than other ?

Whats comparable?
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well, how many other six million body genocide attempts have happened in the last century?
  • I Self Lord & Master
    edited July 2011
    Options

Anyway, besides some Jews, I don't think anybody views the Holocaust as "the height of historical tragedies."

Well, how many other six million body genocide attempts have happened in the last century?

do you agree with the thread title or not lol
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So you want people to stop complaining about the Holocaust, or.... what, exactly?

Because if there's one thing you can't stop Jews from doing, it's kvetching.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Propaganda. People dont feel sorry for Blacks because most Americans are racist. They dont feel sorry for Africans because well...most of them are racist.

They dont feel sorry for whites in the East because Russian had a bit of a history with us and that "? " ? is still in people's minds especially in the media.

Jews are white and the dominant many of the media outlets. Plus the holocaust was only 1945 or so. So its fresh in people's minds. Rwandan holocaust was more recent but....blacks died so who cares right?
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Wow. I didn't know Samoans had that deep of an attachment to the Holocaust.

But anyway......

The reason why the Holocaust is promoted in the Western world so tough particularly in the news media, school textbooks, and other forums is because some unscrupulous Jews want to stifle any legitimate criticism of their behavior that is out of pocket. The Holocaust card is the Jewish equivalent of the race card. With their small numbers and considerable influence over Western Affairs, many people have begin to question that influence. Some is legitimate. Some is not. So as a guard against anti-jewish(The use of the term Semitic is bigoted and really doesn't fit them, but that is another story) attitudes and legitimate criticism they hoist the Holocaust onto the public consciousness so they can continue unhindered by what they experienced in Europe during the Middle Ages, and that is persecution and expulsion from most Western European societies because of their questionable and in some cases undermining behavior in those societies.

Now why they perceive it as the height is because it was their tragedy. But the difference between them and most people in the west is they exert considerable influence over the mainstream media outlets. If you did a study of the major media outlets you would see in the ownership, top editorial and influential writing and television journalist positions, you will see them in relatively large numbers in comparison to their numbers. This is not a secret. Olmert, Netanyahu, Ehud Barak have publicly bragged about how they(Jews) have control over the US media.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lol at the bitterness.

Let's not pretend that it wasn't a terrible tragedy wrapped in a war of global proportions. IMO we should be raising awareness about other tragedies as opposed to trying to downplay the holocaust. Not saying everyone in this thread is trying to do that.

And I don't know what schools y'all went to but I learned about cambodia, rwanda, and slavery in school too.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Israelis do play the holocaust card tho
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I really want to go to Iran. I have a few other locations on backlog...but im going to be there in a few years tops :D lol
    Looks beautiful over there.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Event's before and during the Holocaust's war left the Russians with a much higher body count, and that gets no respect
    The Armenian Genocide during World War One has a difficult time even being officially recognized as a genocide. (huge disrespect)
    Knowledge of events in Nanjing during WW2 wade in oblivion
    Generally speaking, people even know who Pol ? is, or what happened under him
    i can go on and on and on and on...
    well, to start, a lot of these events are exceeded by the Holocaust. in strictly numeric terms, it tops the Armenian genocide, Pol ? 's escapades and specifically the ? of Nanking. it only gets topped by things that are longer-running and less verifiable in some ways: the USSR's mass of deaths under Stalin, China's mass of deaths under Mao, and overall Japanese WWII shenanigans, probably.

then we get into:
    --the Holocaust happened IN THE WEST (well, and the East if Russia's the East, but still), so MORE PRESS;
    --the Holocaust was well-documented by the Germans in question, so while you can argue Japan killed more Chinese people, you're arguing without the benefit of a German writing it all down;
    --the Holocaust was more directly intentioned and efficient than any of those other things
    --add "the Holocaust card" and/or "white people died" as part of this if you find it necessary
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Jews are white and the dominant many of the media outlets. Plus the holocaust was only 1945 or so. So its fresh in people's minds. Rwandan holocaust was more recent but....blacks died so who cares right?
    Rwanda was awful and obviously more relevant to the modern world ... but the Holocaust is going to top it on the "height of historical tragedy" scale for reasons of numbers alone
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Like Ahmadinejad said the Holocaust was exaggerated to a certain extent.

Education systems making kids read books about Anne Frank but will never teach or discuss the Rwanda genocide. S

Shows you how the education system is flawed always has some Jewish person in a position of authority e.g school trustee or board director. I bet if you do your research about your local school board there is some Jewish man/woman at the top...if not there is a connection somewhere.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    How many Rwandans have won Nobel prizes? In other words, how did the massacres in Rwanda affect the rest of the entire world?

Rwanda lost, B.