Does anyone keep a car for longer than like 4 yrs anymore

2»

Comments

• Simma II
    Simma II Banned Users Posts: 787
    edited April 2010
    I don't see the point in keeping a car past 3 yrs b/c the materials that used to make cars these days are now more plastic than metal and if you just happen to get into an accident look at how bad the metal folds up on them.

.....That's your reason?
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    I actually love my car... Ive had it for 1 1/2 year. Now, Im working on the radiator. Im currently looking for an 60-70 Mercedes sl 500. they are soo sexy with the top down. ill just restore it after im done with my mustang.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Simma II wrote: »
    .....That's your reason?

Lets say you have a transmission that keeps on going on at the drop of a dime are you going to continue to keep dropping money to keep on getting it fixed ?
  • goat334
    goat334 Members Posts: 3,604 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    kzzl wrote: »
    that's almost two grand you're about to throw down on that car. do those prices even include labor? and why do it if you're looking for something new?

Its paid for, and once I get it fixed, I won't have to drive the newer car everyday....good to have an extra car, cause you never know what might happen.....

I'm looking at about 3grand total for everything.....
  • Simma II
    Simma II Banned Users Posts: 787
    edited April 2010
    Lets say you have a transmission that keeps on going on at the drop of a dime are you going to continue to keep dropping money to keep on getting it fixed ?

If the repairs don't actually repair the vehicle, then no.
    What you said was you saw no point in keeping a vehicle for more than three years because the material is made from cheap plastic.....If I don't get into an accident, my car would be fine. If my car can be repaired within reasonable means, I will repair it. I do not see why I should keep purchasing a new car for that reason....I mean...wouldn't each time a new car come out, it'll be less metal more plastic (based upon your previous comment)? I don't think that makes sense to keep purchasing a new car when my prior year's model is doing just fine.
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010

Man that can happen to any car ....I got a boy that bought a brand new BMW ...however he never gets to drive that ? cause the fuel pump is continuously going out. Homeboy here has gotten 240k miles on his whip ...This is possible with any car if you take care of ya ? ..
  • Kadillak
    Kadillak Members Posts: 42
    edited April 2010
    kzzl wrote: »
    240k in miles? i'm surprised that engine ain't turned over yet. you must have took real good care of it.

Sh*t old Nissan 240s I heard have gone up to 400,000 miles running with minor upkeep.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    good thread

this should prob go in the strictly business forum to educate mofos on the good common sense of keeping at least one bucket as a daily driver LOL

me I got one whip with 180,000 on it, and the worst is the seats are tearing up and it needs a new radio

but for a 98, I def got my money's worth out of it.....it damn sure ain't breaking down on me no time soon
  • ImGettingOld
    ImGettingOld Members Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    My dad catches a Ford Econoline van to work that ? got 347k miles on it,them ? must be bulletproof
  • goat334
    edited April 2010
    Kadillak wrote: »
    Sh*t old Nissan 240s I heard have gone up to 400,000 miles running with minor upkeep.

I had a 89 Nissan 240sx.......it had about 160k miles on it before i totaled it out.....I loved that car...
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    i sold my hand me down 93 Acura Legend coupe to my cousin 15 years ago, i just saw it last weekend with 160k miles on it.....
  • goat334
    edited April 2010
    louis rich wrote: »
    i sold my hand me down 93 Acura Legend coupe to my cousin 15 years ago, i just saw it last weekend with 160k miles on it.....

thats some low miles for a car that old.......but if you take care of them they will usually take care of you.....
  • msuman
    msuman Confirm Email Posts: 450
    edited April 2010
    1996 VW Jetta 227K on it My first car that I got back in high school in 2000. Havent had a car payment and no rush to get one.
  • ricanprince
    ricanprince Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    glad to see some people agree with me, tomorrow im taking my car in to get the 37,500 mile check up complete, I stay on top of my routine maintenance, this time Im a little late im already at 38,100