Marlo's run was pure luck

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    pralims wrote: »
    marlo had chris helping him out.....chris did all the real footwork...the stalking and showing up early to peep the scene and set ? up. snoop was just a hotheaded shooter with no real scruples...

marlo got to where he is by paranoia....it was a matter of time before it caught up with him.....and he start looking at chris sideways

he was already starting to when they were in that holding cell ....
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Are you serious? Why would he have done that? That would have been stupid. Did you pay attention at all? The Co-op made everyone weak. They didn't really have any muscle anymore after starting that. That's the whole reason they wanted Marlo to join them so bad, because he had manpower and could do the things they couldn't. Avon knew that ? . How would taking control of the co-op have helped him in anyway. It would have basically made him a lame duck. Marlo is the very reason the co-op couldn't work the way Stringer wanted because he wanted to be the boss which meant he would have taken those dudes down which he did for a little while.

Because Avon needed the connect. The only reason the co-op was created was so the Barksdale organization could get a line to Prop Joes product. In exchange for prop joe's product, the Barksdales offered up their prime corners. Other mofos only joined the co-op to lessen the violence that brought police attention, and to get a discount from prop joe's connect. Had Avon chilled and played nice, he could've eventually got a line to joe's connect the same way Marlo did. Then his problem of having a connect would be solved, and he could've went back to business as usual. But instead, he chose to get into unnecessary gangsta ? fighting Marlo over corners, when Avon was still dependent upon Joe's connect. Even if he won the battle against Marlo, he still didn't have his own connect.

Avon chose to do ? out of order. Put bullets in the gun first, before you go out trying to rob ? 's with it SMH

You are completely forgetting about how Stringer was trying hard to get Marlo to play ball and he wasn't interested. That's why Avon was ready to war because he knew Marlo was like him and trying be a king, not a co-op member. Avon is the only dude that saw that from the beginning.

exactly. Marlo already had his own connect and ? , he didn't need the co-op. but he eventually tried to play the game to his own benefit. Marlo only joined with the intentions of getting Omar for that robbery at the card game. But he was still intent on taking over. Marlo was also smart enough to play protege and let Prop Joe school him before he killed him. That's something only a perceptive/smart ? would do

You just making up stuff man. Marlo knew that was his one and only avenue to the connect. That's why he paid. If there was one thing about Marlo that's true. He wasn't about sharing if he though he could have it all to himself and his crew. He wouldn't have paid any goodwill fee to avon unless he had no choice.

the bolded is incorrect. remember that Marlo had his own connect before he even joined the co-op. he didn't need the co-op at all, prop joe coerced him to join in the 1st place. Marlo knew it was his quickest way, cause what the ? was a 100K to pay to a ? saving him some extra work. Avon was no longer competition at that point, the Barksdale crew was dismantled and ineffective, and Avon was in jail. Marlo knew it was easier to pay bread than to do more work, since he was already putting money on the Russians books and paying tribute to the Greek anyways

You have an interesting way of looking at things. Avon didn't really help at all. He was blocking Marlo and only let up when Marlo promised to cut him in. Sure Avon let him off easy because Marlo was from the West, but you're making it seem like Avon assisted in the deal. He didn't. He stood in the way of the deal until Marlo agreed to play ball. That's extrotion.

What did Marlo cut in for Avon? He paid a fee to Avon's sister and that was it. So what are you talking about?

Extortion requires power. If Marlo said ? trying to get Joe's connect, what would've happened negatively for Marlo? Absolutely nothing. Marlo had his own connect before the co-op, and nothing is saying there wouldn't have been another way to the Greek. Where I'm from, extortion means you give your ? up, or you pay consequences. Those are the only two choices. Not if you don't pay me a bribe, you just gon have to find another way to get what you want. SMH @ Marlo having more options, more muscle, and more money than Avon at the time, but you thinking he got extorted. WTF is 100K to a millionaire when that 100K could possibly make you millions more? I'd have glady paid that 100K as well if I was in Marlo's position champ

No offense but you are looking at things in a vary jaded way. You're making it seem like Marlo was the only one to do all those things because only he was that clever. You're complaetely missing the point that he was the only person that even wanted to do that stuff. Every other boss that was in a position to capitalize like Marlo was in the co-op and wanted that peace. That's part of the reason Marlo could be as successful as he was. He really had no competition in the trenches because everyone else was trying to play nice.

exactly, cause Marlo wanted to be king and understood what the game really was. oldheads played themselves cause they tried to legitimize it like a lawful business. But marlo played it like it was supposed to be played, it was the drug game, ? all that politicking ? . If the rest of those dudes was playing nice in the co-op, they would've continued to play nice regardless of the situation. Marlo was built for the drama that came with being the king and played it that way. Everybody else was in it for the money, and didn't give a damn if cuzzo took over as long as they had their own cash flow still coming to them. If them oldheads really was on their job, Marlo would've never been a force strong enough to cause problems to begin with. Remember, the co-op came to him, not the other way around.

Bruh, just admit your boy Avon was out there ? up. Joining the co-op wouldn't have made him weaker unless he wanted to be. If Avon had enough muscle to get rid of Marlo, then how would he have not had enough muscle to stay strong in the co-op while flanking Joe to get to his connect? Avon wanted to keep thuggin it like a foot soldier, instead of thinking long term like a boss. And we see where he ended up SMH
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Avon had his own connect b4 getting locked up String was the one dealing w Prop Joe. Avon aint had time for that ? once he got out his objective was real estate cuz even if they had the connect where were they gonna set up shop at?
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011
    Avon had his own connect b4 getting locked up String was the one dealing w Prop Joe. Avon aint had time for that ? once he got out his objective was real estate cuz even if they had the connect where were they gonna set up shop at?

Avon lost his connect when he got locked up cause they thought he was snitchin since he only got seven years

that's why Stringer and Prop Joe came up with that whole co-op ?

and think about it, how you gon keep a corner with no drugs to sell? pipehead ? supposed to just wait around sobering up while they waiting on you to get your supply chain straight? LOL

that's like owning a store with no products to sell

you get something to sell 1st, before you make a place to sell it................that's how successful businesses work :shrugs
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Ya'll dudes keep saying I'm caping for Avon, but my major point really doesn't have anything to do with him. I'm not saying Avon was some kind of criminal mastermind. I'm saying that Marlo's rise was due far more to circumstances out of his control than to his own skill and smarts. Let's run down the list:

1) Avon got locked up, so B7B pretty much lost it's street edge. On top of that, they lost their connect as a result of the heat and many of their customers went elsewhere.
    2) The Towers came down, so a large part of the business that was being done there was pushed onto the corners instantly making Marlo a big player.
    3) The political mess forced the police to pull back, so they couldn't investigate Marlo the way they did Avon and he was free to rise without worrying about them too much.
    4) The Co-op was formed instantly making every other rival faction weaker and making Marlo's organization stronger by default.
    5) The B&B infighting removed the one threat to Marlo and Stringer's treachery saved Marlo's life.
    6) Omar stealing the drug shipment led to a loss of confidence in Joe and opened the door for Marlo to muscle in on the connect.

Look at that laundry list of things there. Marlo benefitted greatly from all of them, and had absolutely nothing to do with making any of them happen. Like I said, he was smart in that he knew how to take advantage of opportunity when it presented itself, but he wasn't some criminal mastermind that orchestrated his rise to power.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Ya'll dudes keep saying I'm caping for Avon, but my major point really doesn't have anything to do with him. I'm not saying Avon was some kind of criminal mastermind. I'm saying that Marlo's rise was due far more to circumstances out of his control than to his own skill and smarts. Let's run down the list:

1) Avon got locked up, so B7B pretty much lost it's street edge. On top of that, they lost their connect as a result of the heat and many of their customers went elsewhere.
    2) The Towers came down, so a large part of the business that was being done there was pushed onto the corners instantly making Marlo a big player.
    3) The political mess forced the police to pull back, so they couldn't investigate Marlo the way they did Avon and he was free to rise without worrying about them too much.
    4) The Co-op was formed instantly making every other rival faction weaker and making Marlo's organization stronger by default.
    5) The B&B infighting removed the one threat to Marlo and Stringer's treachery saved Marlo's life.
    6) Omar stealing the drug shipment led to a loss of confidence in Joe and opened the door for Marlo to muscle in on the connect.

Look at that laundry list of things there. Marlo benefitted greatly from all of them, and had absolutely nothing to do with making any of them happen. Like I said, he was smart in that he knew how to take advantage of opportunity when it presented itself, but he wasn't some criminal mastermind that orchestrated his rise to power.

4) You keep saying this but its false....The co op made them stronger as a unit...They was just too busy on the buddy buddy ? trying to bring him in instead of eliminating him

6) The connect made it clear they still had faith in Joe but with Joe dead, they had to keep making that money some way so that point is mute
  • R.D.
    edited August 2011

This would hold some weight if Stringer didnt state that they were making more money even with less corners and aint need em
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2011
    rap doctor wrote: »
    4) You keep saying this but its false....The co op made them stronger as a unit...They was just too busy on the buddy buddy ? trying to bring him in instead of eliminating him

Wrong. You're forgetting that heir whole reason for wanting Marlo in so bad is because a bunch of NY ? was coming down and muscling in on their territory and Marlo was the only one with enough muscle to deal with it. The factions in the Co-op were stronger financially, but were weaker on the street. That was pretty much a stated fact. They weren't warring with each other so they didn't really have soldiers like that anymore. They just had people out there selling. Again, this is the very reason Avon was warring with Marlo because he knew only Marlo was a strong threat. It's also the reason Marlo was resistant to joining the Co-op at first because he knew that he could pretty much outmuscle any other group out there.
    6) The connect made it clear they still had faith in Joe but with Joe dead, they had to keep making that money some way so that point is mute

Come on man. That ? was clearly a *wink* *wink* type of deal. Do you really think that the connect didn't know who it was that killed Joe? lol
  • R.D.
    edited August 2011
    Wrong. You're forgetting that heir whole reason for wanting Marlo in so bad is because a bunch of NY ? was coming down and muscling in on their territory and Marlo was the only one with enough muscle to deal with it. The factions in the Co-op were stronger financially, but were weaker on the street. That was pretty much a stated fact. They weren't warring with each other so they didn't really have soldiers like that anymore. They just had people out there selling. Again, this is the very reason Avon was warring with Marlo because he knew only Marlo was a strong threat. It's also the reason Marlo was resistant to joining the Co-op at first because he knew that he could pretty much outmuscle any other group out there.

Come on man. That ? was clearly a *wink* *wink* type of deal. Do you really think that the connect didn't know who it was that killed Joe? lol
    They didnt have any loyalty to Joe as far as killing for him but they were loyal to him from a business perspective.As long as Joe was alive, thats who they were going to work with. You really dont have a point with that one.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2011
    They didnt have any loyalty to Joe as far as killing for him but they were loyal to him from a business perspective.As long as Joe was alive, thats who they were going to work with. You really dont have a point with that one.

I'm not getting the point you're trying to make. I acknowledged that they said they were riding with Joe while he was alive. However, the only reason they listened to Marlo to begin with is because he brought money and because he promised them what happened with Joe wouldn't happen with him.

The they say basically say "Hey, while Joe is alive we're with him, but if he were to die..."

What do you think that means. Joe then immediately dies and they hop into business with Marlo. They were basically giving him the greenlight to get rid of Joe.
  • R.D.
    edited August 2011
    I'm not getting the point you're trying to make. I acknowledged that they said they were riding with Joe while he was alive. However, the only reason they listened to Marlo to begin with is because he brought money and because he promised them what happened with Joe wouldn't happen with him.

The they say basically say "Hey, while Joe is alive we're with him, but if he were to die..."

What do you think that means. Joe then immediately dies and they hop into business with Marlo. They were basically giving him the greenlight to get rid of Joe.

this or anything like it was never said is my point
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011

well using that logic, what made any other boss any different than Marlo?

you could basically say they all just benefited off of pure luck by that logic

if you say one ? got by because of pure luck, then ALL of them got by the same way

if one had to strategize to be successful, then give Marlo credit for executing his strategies
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2011
    well using that logic, what made any other boss any different than Marlo?

you could basically say they all just benefited off of pure luck by that logic

if you say one ? got by because of pure luck, then ALL of them got by the same way

if one had to strategize to be successful, then give Marlo credit for executing his strategies

It's true that everyone in any endeavor benefits from circumstances that's beyond their control. I'm not saying Marlo is the only one to catch a few lucky breaks here and there. But those things I listed up there are not a couple of lucky occurences. They are some pretty substantial turns that worked for Marlo. We didn't really get to see how the other bosses rose, so no comparison can be made for sure. However, you'd be hard pressed to prove that anyone had a string of events like the one I listed above work for them. Again, I never said Marlo never did anything to gain his position. He made the right moves to capitalize off the opportunities that came his way. I'm just saying that those opportunities were pretty substantial, and he didn't really do anything to earn a lot of them.
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011
    It's true that everyone in any endeavor benefits from circumstances that's beyond their control. I'm not saying Marlo is the only one to catch a few lucky breaks here and there. But those things I listed up there are not a couple of lucky occurences. They are some pretty substantial turns that worked for Marlo. We didn't really get to see how the other bosses rose, so no comparison can be made for sure. However, you'd be hard pressed to prove that anyone had a string of events like the one I listed above work for them. Again, I never said Marlo never did anything to gain his position. He made the right moves to capitalize off the opportunities that came his way. I'm just saying that those opportunities were pretty substantial, and he didn't really do anything to earn a lot of them.

how you figure mayne?

by your logic, all the bosses were lucky................cause basically prop joe was only successful that long because no prior Marlos existed

Avon was only successful for so long cause he was born into the game, and the city wasn't serious about dealing with major crimes before he finally got locked up

Stringer was lucky cause he should've at least gotten brought in with Avon on a conspiracy case, but they left him on the street so that he had the opportunity to further wash money and insulate himself from the street

you see where I'm going with this?

all I'm saying is circumstances present themselves all the time, but bosses with sense know what to do to capitalize off opportunities. marlo could've easily ? himself over had he made different decisions

so it's not fair to say the boy run was only based on luck, when everybody else had a chain of events that benefited them as well

you sounding biased champ :shrugs
  • Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    ? is looking too deep into ? ....

Its a show. Marlo made all of these "calculated" moves because it was good for the story. The Barksdale crew was done for...the writers needed a new boss. That's it.

In the real world, no way does a ? ? on the entire city of Baltimore and walk away unscathed and enjoy a upscale "legal" career afterwards. ? always rubbed me the wrong way. How the ? can 4 ? ass ? (Marlo, Chris, Snoop and Monk at the time) out think a million dollar criminal organization? Cmon son. Cmon David Simon. Seriously bruh? Avon can sit down and come up with a beautifully orchestrated assassination for Stringer but, he just had no idea how to get rid of Marlo? Marlo was obviously the brain. You ? Marlo...........Chris, Snoop and Monk would be lost as ? . But yet the other kingpins & dealers in Baltimore didn't know this. Something anyone with a brain could understand. Prop Joe, Avon, Bodie, The Co-op members all would've came together and murked Marlo in the real world. Cmon bruh. ? outta here. I hated that about The Wire.
  • Rey Negro
    edited August 2011
    Writers basically made Marlo a "super ? ". It was disgusting. Even Omar got his skull rocked...
  • R.D.
    edited August 2011
    Rey ? wrote: »

Its a show. Marlo made all of these "calculated" moves because it was good for the story. The Barksdale crew was done for...the writers needed a new boss. That's it.

In the real world, no way does a ? ? on the entire city of Baltimore and walk away unscathed and enjoy a upscale "legal" career afterwards. ? always rubbed me the wrong way. How the ? can 4 ? ass ? (Marlo, Chris, Snoop and Monk at the time) out think a million dollar criminal organization? Cmon son. Cmon David Simon. Seriously bruh? Avon can sit down and come up with a beautifully orchestrated assassination for Stringer but, he just had no idea how to get rid of Marlo? Marlo was obviously the brain. You ? Marlo...........Chris, Snoop and Monk would be lost as ? . But yet the other kingpins & dealers in Baltimore didn't know this. Something anyone with a brain could understand. Prop Joe, Avon, Bodie, The Co-op members all would've came together and murked Marlo in the real world. Cmon bruh. ? outta here. I hated that about The Wire.
    Avon didnt come up with anything. He told them where he could be found when faced with the choice of protecting String or losing connect.

I co sign your idea about co op coming together to get rid of him but i can understand how some of those things could occur. Chris had everybody that mattered shook. Prop Joe takes Marlo under his wing and before you know it, Marlo got the connect and a chokehold on the game
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011

nah I disagree.............cause a snake is still a snake LOL

and Marlo's character was perfect in my opinion, that's what made the show great

because his character kept the game ? instead of straight glamorizing it.................that's why Stringer's character was effective as well, but we all knew eventually he had to die for having a little bit of love in his heart

I like how a villain like Marlo got away scot free, cause evil mofos get away like that in real life haha
  • Rey Negro
    edited August 2011
    Avon didnt come up with anything. He told them where he could be found when faced with the choice of protecting String or losing connect.

I co sign your idea about co op coming together to get rid of him but i can understand how some of those things could occur. Chris had everybody that mattered shook. Prop Joe takes Marlo under his wing and before you know it, Marlo got the connect and a chokehold on the game

So Avon can hire contract killers to protect his dealers from Prop Joe's dealers? He can set up his best friend to get murdered by those contract killers? But when Marlo becomes a thorn in his side, all of a sudden Avon gets dementia.

Marlo murdered Butchie. Marlo was the biggest enemy of the Barksdale operation. Yet Avon and Omar never thought to conspire together despite "basically" doing just that before.

Like I said....Marlo's a story tale. He would've got sniped by Brother Mouzone in real life.
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011
    So Avon can hire contract killers to protect his dealers from Prop Joe's dealers? He can set up his best friend to get murdered by those contract killers? But when Marlo becomes a thorn in his side, all of a sudden Avon gets dementia.

Marlo murdered Butchie. Marlo was the biggest enemy of the Barksdale operation. Yet Avon and Omar never thought to conspire together despite "basically" doing just that before.

Like I said....Marlo's a story tale. He would've got sniped by Brother Mouzone in real life.

bruh I think you forgot Brother Mouzone got shot because of dealing with Avon's organization

why would he choose to work for Avon again? Especially with Avon knowing he allowed him to ? Stringer? That was Avon's flaw, he was too sentimental IMO

there was no ? way Avon and Omar would conspire together after the way they exchanged shots in the 1st season. and Omar never really had beef with marlo until season 5 after Avon was already locked up

I think mofos are missing critical details in here
  • Rey Negro
    edited August 2011
    bruh I think you forgot Brother Mouzone got shot because of dealing with Avon's organization

why would he choose to work for Avon again? Especially with Avon knowing he allowed him to ? Stringer? That was Avon's flaw, he was too sentimental IMO

there was no ? way Avon and Omar would conspire together after the way they exchanged shots in the 1st season. and Omar never really had beef with marlo until season 5 after Avon was already locked up

I think mofos are missing critical details in here

Nah. Yall just living in fairy tale land. I know we all like to see the hustler that make it out of the game and live happily ever after but, the kind of ? that does that is completely opposite of everything Marlo was. ? like Azie make it out. ? like Wayne Perry, Alpo don't. Marlo was a Wayne Perry/Alpo type ? . Killing for no reason. Shady for no reason. ? over every dealer out of his city but, somehow never got hit once. Not once ? ?. That's an anomaly in the drug game.

Avon gave Mouzone the go head (whereabouts) to ? Stringer. My point is, he could've just as easily threw enough money at Mouzone to come down and do his ? work again. He could've got another shooter. I'm suppose to believe that a millionaire drug kingpin can't get skilled assassins to murk a low level dealer with a ? and 2 dudes for a crew? Really? Really bruh?

The Wire is the best show I've ever seen and pretty much is the most realistic portrayal of street life out there but, I hated the Marlo saga because they made Marlo out to be a genius at the expense of making ? he interacted with complete morons......when some of them weren't even that ? stupid one season before.
  • R.D.
    edited August 2011
    Nah. Yall just living in fairy tale land. I know we all like to see the hustler that make it out of the game and live happily ever after but, the kind of ? that does that is completely opposite of everything Marlo was. ? like Azie make it out. ? like Wayne Perry, Alpo don't. Marlo was a Wayne Perry/Alpo type ? . Killing for no reason. Shady for no reason. ? over every dealer out of his city but, somehow never got hit once. Not once ? ?. That's an anomaly in the drug game.

Avon gave Mouzone the go head (whereabouts) to ? Stringer. My point is, he could've just as easily threw enough money at Mouzone to come down and do his ? work again. He could've got another shooter. I'm suppose to believe that a millionaire drug kingpin can't get skilled assassins to murk a low level dealer with a ? and 2 dudes for a crew? Really? Really bruh?

The Wire is the best show I've ever seen and pretty much is the most realistic portrayal of street life out there but, I hated the Marlo saga because they made Marlo out to be a genius at the expense of making ? he interacted with complete morons......when some of them weren't even that ? stupid one season before.
    Bruh i think you just forgetting important details and disregarding things. Naww Marlo wasnt Wayne Perry. If anything that was the role Chris played to an wxtent with the fear he struck in everybody. Why didnt anybody ? Alpo? Because of Wayne Perry ! And with that logic, why was everybody scared of Wayne Perry and why didnt anybody from DC get him out the way. You failing to see how realistic this ? actually was and how thats just how ? go sometimes. You sound like somebody ? their favorite character got knocked off
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011
    yeah and also Marlo wasn't a low level dealer

otherwise he wouldn't have had all those corners, especially considering he got them ? the old fashioned way

? let marlo run wild cause mofos were shook of him, his team was more disciplined than anybody else at the time of his reign

Avon had bread when he came out, but he couldn't even find competent soldiers, plus he was resistant to politicking

in real life a ? like Marlo could've gotten away had his attorney game been tight LOL
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2011
    one thing tho that I did find unrealistic was how all the oldheads knew each other, but managed to keep each other from getting killed

no ? way did it make sense that prop joe was still dealing with street ? , and that butchie lived for so long without Avon finding out about his connection to Omar
  • Rey Negro
    edited August 2011
    Bruh i think you just forgetting important details and disregarding things. Naww Marlo wasnt Wayne Perry. If anything that was the role Chris played to an wxtent with the fear he struck in everybody. Why didnt anybody ? Alpo? Because of Wayne Perry ! And with that logic, why was everybody scared of Wayne Perry and why didnt anybody from DC get him out the way. You failing to see how realistic this ? actually was and how thats just how ? go sometimes. You sound like somebody ? their favorite character got knocked off

No. My point about Wayne Perry and Alpo is...................Alpo went to jail for a longgggggg time. Wayne went to jail for a longgggggg time. Alpo was a shady ? . Wayne was a sadistic killer. Marlo was more of those two then he was Azie yet he walked away scott free without any sort of scar, punishment, jail sentence, close calls to death. Its unrealistic for a character of his nature. Almost no dealer in history of the game with a personality like Marlo made it out like that. You dont cause that much havoc and just walk away.