Panthers going for Asante Samuel?

Options
NCswag
NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/30/2492593/panthers-trade-asante-samuel.html

? are sleeping on the Panthers moves this offseason.......what do y'all think?

Comments

• Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Carolina is making moves, but their future all depends on if Cam Newton is for real or not.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Carolina's biggest moves were overpaying for the players they already had. Don't really say that as "making moves".
  • Poster#19
    Poster#19 Members Posts: 280
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Carolina's biggest moves were overpaying for the players they already had. Don't really say that as "making moves".

4sho bra, 4sho.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    not unless he restructures his contract.
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Poster#19 wrote: »
    4sho bra, 4sho.

welcome to the most glorious fanbase in the league. but who are you and what are you talking about?
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lol

I was hopin the best for came til the Panthers drafted him. Now it's ? that ? and the Panthers. Falcons taking the division again. We need yall Panthers to suck for a few more years so we can focus on the Saints and the Bucs.

Did - not - read. Too - focused - on - AVI.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Who would play nic & I don't like how much he gonna get paid
  • NCswag
    edited July 2011
    Options

You still think that Julio Jones for 5 draft picks was a good move? Because everybody I've talked to says NO.
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    NCswag wrote: »
    You still think that Julio Jones for 5 draft picks was a good move? Because everybody I've talked to says NO.

Yes it was a good move.......

And I heard that Philly was keeping Asante Samuels......
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options

Yep. GREAT move. Like I said a thousand times before -- You can always get draft picks back -- you don't get a second chance to get the exact kind of player you want in a draft..

Our GM is a master at drafting in later rounds and our team is a young, talented team ALREADY. You use draft picks to rebuild -- if you don't need to rebuild, you use draft picks as currency to get an edge on the competition.

Overpaying for players is WAAAAY worse than over-"trading" something that has no real value until you use it to draft something with value. Draft picks are like lottery tickets, if the number don't fall, it's just a piece of paper. So the only risk we took is trading 5 lottery tickets for one lottery ticket that has most of the winning numbers already on it.

Panthers on the other hand are giving up REAL MONEY and overpaying their own players who already contributed to a 2-14 season.

That Julio trade did more than the average ? can see -- it freed up millions in cap space for the next 5 years at least considering the rookie wage scale and common sense fact that you don't pay draft picks that you don't have.

No Julio trade this year = No Ray Edwards, No re-signing 2 out of our 3 best offensive lineman, very little money to pay Brent Grimes, and much less money to compete in free agency in 2012. Because that money would be tied up in the draft picks that we traded away.

Instead we got one of the surest picks in the draft (no guarantees, but if you can't see how Julio can be a beast, you don't know football), got enough money to bring our best players back, improve our defense with a pro-bowl caliber pass-rusher that has a reputation for terrorizing the same QBs that have terrorized us, and all we ended up paying Julio was the same kind of money that Tampa Bay gave our average ass punter this year.

Chess not checkers.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Its time to part ways with Steve Smith he has been loyal to the Panthers from the Delhomme era when John Fox refused to bench him.

If given a real legit QB Smith can still put 1,000 yard season....trade him to the Eagles or Vikings the Bears could also use him.
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Allergens wrote: »
    Im a panthers fan but i hope, samuels to panthers for S.Smith, our 2nd rounder next year, and maybe throw in Everett Brown....Smith deserves what the eagles is about to do this year, and the panthers deserve to be picking 1st next year and forced to pass up on what will be the next Joe Montana

You don't sound like a fan at all. It sounds like you them to be punished
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Its time to part ways with Steve Smith he has been loyal to the Panthers from the Delhomme era when John Fox refused to bench him.

If given a real legit QB Smith can still put 1,000 yard season....trade him to the Eagles or Vikings the Bears could also use him.

Make sense to me. Like I said, all these players that the Panthers are spending millions on re-signing were all standing around going 2-14 last year. And no player from a 2-14 squad should get a raise. ? that. lol. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? You'll have an embarrassing losing season? Been thurr, did dat. lol
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm getting word that the Eagles have decided to keep all three CBs
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options

we get no real benefit from trading him for a late round pick. i would have been all for trading him 2 years ago, but now, when we need a veteran, reliable receiver the most, he's of much more value to our team.
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Make sense to me. Like I said, all these players that the Panthers are spending millions on re-signing were all standing around going 2-14 last year. And no player from a 2-14 squad should get a raise. ? that. lol. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? You'll have an embarrassing losing season? Been thurr, did dat. lol

but deangelo williams, thomas davis, jon beason, and Charles Johnson were all key players in the 12-4 season. Charles Johnson is the only one that carolina overpayed for, but if it meant keeping him out of the division, then thats just part of the game...paying those guys isn't the same as resigning a bunch of the scrubs who WERE actually responsible.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    but deangelo williams, thomas davis, jon beason, and Charles Johnson were all key players in the 12-4 season. Charles Johnson is the only one that carolina overpayed for, but if it meant keeping him out of the division, then thats just part of the game...paying those guys isn't the same as resigning a bunch of the scrubs who WERE actually responsible.

Beason wasn't worth his cheese either. Every dude you just named would've gotten much less money anywhere else. Not mad at them tho, they got over.

I'll put it like this -- as a Falcons fan I'm VERY pleased with how Carolina spent its cap space. lol
  • NCswag
    edited July 2011
    Options

That was John Fox's fault; Denver's dumb ? fell for the okie doke and signed him after a lame duck season. They needed ALL of the players that they re-signed; Johnson was the only bright spot on the line last year; Williams was hurt. Beason deserved a big payday. I can go on and on.

We got Olsen; we got Shockey. We retained Williams with Beason. What you will see is a set of 2 TE OR 2 RB sets that will get the train going. We might not be over .500 this year, and nobody is putting money out there that we will. But we will at least be 5-11 this year. You have to rebuild, sir.

IF they don't feed Newton to the wolves too early, I can see him being a decent starting QB. The front office is making qualified moves this year and spending money. Do you actually think that somebody like Nnandi would've came to a 2-14 team? ? NO. So you have to start the rebuilding by keeping your few guys that did show and prove. Carolina did that.
  • Darius
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Beason wasn't worth his cheese either. Every dude you just named would've gotten much less money anywhere else. Not mad at them tho, they got over.

I'll put it like this -- as a Falcons fan I'm VERY pleased with how Carolina spent its cap space. lol

Aside from Charles Johnson, I disagree. I think they got around market value.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2011
    Options
    That was John Fox's fault; Denver's dumb ? fell for the okie doke and signed him after a lame duck season. They needed ALL of the players that they re-signed; Johnson was the only bright spot on the line last year; Williams was hurt. Beason deserved a big payday. I can go on and on.

We got Olsen; we got Shockey. We retained Williams with Beason. What you will see is a set of 2 TE OR 2 RB sets that will get the train going. We might not be over .500 this year, and nobody is putting money out there that we will. But we will at least be 5-11 this year. You have to rebuild, sir.

IF they don't feed Newton to the wolves too early, I can see him being a decent starting QB. The front office is making qualified moves this year and spending money. Do you actually think that somebody like Nnandi would've came to a 2-14 team? ? NO. So you have to start the rebuilding by keeping your few guys that did show and prove. Carolina did that.

And if the Panthers ever return to being an "attractive team" in the near future, the contracts they gave out this year will prevent them from signing free-agents in the future.
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    You don't sound like a fan at all. It sounds like you them to be punished

Word up...and I don't like this thread at all!