What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Does anyone understand OTIS?

rapaintdeadrapaintdead Posts: 28
edited July 2011 in The Reason
@BigDaddyCaine Follow now!

But ummmm I like the song, I love how they go back and forth on "Bawse" shit its nice. Kanye got Jay in this in my opinion. But does anyone understand the song. WTF does the sample have to do with all this talk of fly shit. I really cant get into this song like ppl are, I like it but I prefer H.A.M. I woulda loved OTIS to be a love ballad, or softer type of rap song. Thoughts?

Replies

• CainCain The audacity of you fuck niggas Cyttorax DimensionPosts: 44,542 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    sboogie wrote: »
    you're a pussy... str8 up...

beat me to it damn
    I mod without feelings or remorse.

Just been through it all man
    Blood sweat and tears
    Niggaz is dead and shit
    What the fuck else can happen yo?
    I dont think much more son, word to mother yo
    We done seen it all, and been through it all yo
    Let y'all niggaz know right now
    Word to mother, for real, for real
    I aint ever goin back
  • georgia boigeorgia boi Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I posted a similar statement as the t/s in a thread last week. To me, the sample and title of the song seem irrelevant to what Jay and Kanye were rappin' about. It's what I pointed out as the invitation to negative criticism. They sampled a classic which automatically raises expectations, then to name it "Otis" and not really address Otis Redding adds insult to injury. I'm not saying, it's wack because of it, but it's not surprising that Cee Lo and Ski responded how they did.
  • End of an EraEnd of an Era Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    jigga warriorz caught feelings
  • Knives AmilliKnives Amilli Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I posted a similar statement as the t/s in a thread last week. To me, the sample and title of the song seem irrelevant to what Jay and Kanye were rappin' about. It's what I pointed out as the invitation to negative criticism. They sampled a classic which automatically raises expectations, then to name it "Otis" and not really address Otis Redding adds insult to injury. I'm not saying, it's wack because of it, but it's not surprising that Cee Lo and Ski responded how they did.

I dont understand why people think so literally.

Goriilaz released Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry, both of which have nothing to do with Clint or the fictional character he portrays. And no one said shit.

Same with 'Kast and Rosa Parks.

Wiz and Currensy had a fire song called Huey Newton and caught shit because "it was an insult to the memory of Huey Newton" (because all black artists are obligated to carry the torch for all Black activists)

Why do people wanna bring up this shit with Jay and 'Ye?
  • Zig Zag ZiggaZig Zag Zigga Posts: 417
    edited July 2011

Uncle Otis >

• ThatAThatA Posts: 566
    edited July 2011
    Why's that song called Huey Newton anyway? Makes ZERO sense.
  • CeLLaR-DooRCeLLaR-DooR Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011

But ummmm I like the song, I love how they go back and forth on "Bawse" shit its nice. Kanye got Jay in this in my opinion. But does anyone understand the song. WTF does the sample have to do with all this talk of fly shit. I really cant get into this song like ppl are, I like it but I prefer H.A.M. I woulda loved OTIS to be a love ballad, or softer type of rap song. Thoughts?

Fag.......
  • Cabana_Da_DonCabana_Da_Don Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Nah t/s is right it makes no fucking sense at all.
  • Knives AmilliKnives Amilli Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    ThatA wrote: »
    Why's that song called Huey Newton anyway? Makes ZERO sense.

i dunno but they killed that shit.
  • DarkRaidenDarkRaiden Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Who knows but the beat was tight, the song was decent and Kanye slaughtered Jay so it's all good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    all I hear is a looped track with two out of touch buddies going back and forth about the invention of swagger never going to hell and wearing snapbacks to the back so the fresh cut is exposed ..

one buddy sounds more wheezy breathed and the other buddy has more control of his voice ....