**Evidence - Cats & Dogs Dropping 27.9.2011 (2 New Interviews, Talks WestCoast)**

13»

Comments

• stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    This Album definitly lived up to my expectations!!
  • kidbillrock
    kidbillrock Members Posts: 6
    edited October 2011
    Check out the Evidence interview below. Evidence talks his new album, Cats & Dogs, rapping vs. producing, the number 13, updates on "The Stepbrothers" album with The Alchemist, news on the next Dilated Peoples album, physical vs. digital media, Rhymesayers.

Cats & Dogs, rapping vs. producing, the number 13, updates on "The Stepbrothers" album with The Alchemist, news on the next Dilated Peoples album, physical vs. digital media.

The full video can be viewed on youtube at: http://youtu.be/_4dn-bUG4kM

Or the transcript is below

Tell us about your latest release Cats & Dogs?

Evidence: This is my second official solo release. I have done other solo stuff as well like the Layover EP and the I Don't Need Love EP, mixtapes and what have you but not an official record. I dropped it on Rhymesayers, a label out of Minneapolis. I am part of Dilated Peoples, that's my crew, this is not a departure from the crew of any sort, it's more of an avenue for me be creative and to do stuff in the time between our last and our next album.

What has the response been to the release of the album?

Evidence: Pretty good as far as I saw, I haven't been reading all the press ? if you get a good one, you feel like you owe somebody something and you get a bad one you feel like you want to jump off a bridge so I just kind of been gauging it on twitter and facebook and stuff like that. My immediate fans, the ones that I have been in contact with all seem to be pretty happy so that is a good gauge right there.

How does cats & Dogs differ from your other releases?

Evidence: Umm I wouldn't say it is a sequel but I would say its definitely made of the same glue, maybe the architecture of the building is a little bit different but the foundation is still there.

On the album you made a point of leaving out track 13. Why did you decide to do that?

Evidence: Because I'm a Mason (laughing). No I'm kidding, hotels don't have 13 floors, there is no 13th street in my neighbourhood. The number itself is thought as being cursed, so I thought on the album that I would just leave it out. Also because track 14 "To be continued" so I kind of thought it would be cool to leave 13 out and 14 kind of talks about it.

You have done a lot of production in recent years, producing for everyone from Kanye West to Apathy. However on the album Cats & Dogs you only produced one track ("I Don't Need Love"), why was that?

Evidence: I did more than one, just one made the album. It's hard when you have friends like Alchemist and Babu and Premier sitting around you. Just to say ? I made these they have to go on. I just felt like there was one that really sat well with all these other high class producers, not to say that the others one weren't as good, just that they didn't seem to fit as well as that one did so i put my ego aside and just kept one but next time I would like to do more, I am going to make a conscious effort to do that.

What do you like better, producing or rapping?

Evidence: If I have something to say then the rapping, but if i was just to do one thing in the morning like pick up a pen and a pad or sit and go dig through some records to go come up with a beat, it would be the beat.

There was a somewhat long delay between the release of your last major release and this one. Why such a long delay?

Evidence: Well its... and I don't fault anybody for what I am about to say but there are people who are really focussed on everything you are doing and there are other people who kind of come around and I'm not mad either, but of course I appreciate the first one more but, the other way is not bad either. So if you have been riding out with me or checking you know the Layover EP came out in 2008, 2009 I Don't Need Love EP and the Layover mixtape with DJ Skee, there is a lot of stuff I have been doing for the people who have been checking twitter so to speak. For the others who don't, I'm not mad at them I appreciate them as well, I can see how you can view it as that but I've been pretty active, it's just I got with a new label and there are other people on the label it is not just me and we lack the timing to just go hard so you can't help it.

Speaking of your new label, why did you decide to sign with Rhymesayers Entertainment

Evidence: Because it gets cold in Minneapolis and they really have nothing else to do but work rap (laughing), I think they would rather be in the office, where it is warm and a nice television then trying to go to the club at negative degrees with the windchill factor included so I would rather them be going in late working on my project then someone in a label in Hollywood when at 5 o'clock you get tempted to leave the office

There was a little bit of a joke to the last question. I hope that came through.

In your opinion what is the difference between an independent label and a major label?

Evidence: What's the difference? Major labels you get money up front and you never see anything after that and independent labels you get nothing up frond and you never see anything after (laughing)... Except for rhymesayers….

You have stated that you are going to do a full album with Teh Alchemist called The Stepbrothers, why do you guys have such chemistry (pardon the pun) together?

Evidence: ? his name is Al the chemist… (laughing)…. Umm because we are just doing a grown up adolescent version of that.

Do you have an idea of when the album is going to be coming out?

Evidence: Nope. I am never going to promise a date ever again (laughing)

You also have stated that you are going to start the album process again with Dilated Peoples. When can we expect that album?

Evidence: No date promises but soon.

Why do you, the Dilated Peoples, work so well as a group?

Evidence: Years of just being on the same team, having the same players, you know what I mean? It's nice when you don't rotate in trying to figure out new people to set you back. So we might be working on some old equipment that we know very well.

Was the plan always to release solo albums in between your group albums?

Evidence: Ya that was the plan, but we weren't really allowed to do it under our old contract at Capital as easily as we thought, so we kind of just aired it out, until the deal was over.

In recent years there has been a big change towards digital releases. Jay-Z & Kanye West basically prevented their album from leaking by releasing it first as a digital only release. Do you think that physical releases will soon be a thing of the past?

Evidence: It will always have a place, it might become more and more novelty, you know, but cds may become what vinyl is now, it's getting there. I mean all it's all based on money. The higher power, BMW's don't come with cd players anymore, then there is not going to be anymore cd's. Other people dictate that it's not just us (laughing). We little people down here don't control it. That's how it's going to go, then that's how it's going to go. People will always want music. There will be a handful of artists, not a lot, but a handful where people know that there is a bigger picture and that artists cares about the fans. I don't know who, some know who they are but that means that if you buy a cd, then that means you probably went to a concert and that means that the person was waiting in line for the shows, so that means that the chance of getting the cd signed are greater. You want the retail, because you know that is going to lead to something else. I think there are a handful of artists that will always sell that kind of stuff. Even if it is viewed more as merch then as the means of actually playing the music.

Thanks for your time. Tell the fans what you have been up to and what you have planned for the near future

Evidence: I just finished touring with Atmosphere for about a month and a half. Then I did Rock The Bells in between that. Now I have a release party coming up in Vegas, then I fly to South America, with Dilated for a show, then back home, work on Grouch's Christmas tour, on the West Coast, then I am going to Europe with Rhymesayers, with the majority of the label, I am pretty much booked up until January which is a good feeling. And if all goes well I will start headlining a solo US tour.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Been playing this album today and I must say, everything about it is great. This and Phonte have been in my ears and I'm glad I've finally had a few plays of each album!!!

Another interview via TheWellVersed.com:

Saving Hip Hop for a Rainy Day

evidence-6931-640x378.jpg

Evidence is what you would call a veteran in this thing called hip hop. He’s been creating music alongside Rakaa and DJ Babu as Dilated Peoples since 1997 and has a handful of songs that will forever live in backpacker infamy. But as a solo artist is where the Venice, CA emcee has really excelled and, unfortunately, been slept on. I could remind you that he’s likely the only emcee that gave Eminem a run for his money when he dropped the severely underrated diss track “Search 4 Bobby Fisher,” but that doesn’t encapsulate the depth and lyrical prowess of Evidence. Look no further than Ev’s The Weatherman LP, The Layover EP and the recently released Cats & Dogs to understand the nature of an emcee who speaks from his heart over stellar production. While in Las Vegas rocking alongside Dom Kennedy, TWV spoke with Evidence on his solo career, why his music has become so personal, going from white label vinyl to bloggers posting mp3s, why Brother Ali didn’t end up on “Late for the Sky” and his thoughts on the West Coast’s musical resurgence.

TWV: Cats & Dogs is a lot more personal than anything you’ve ever done with Dilated Peoples. Why is that?

Evidence: I didn’t go solo to leave my group. It was just more of an outlet to create the music that I wasn’t able to as a part of Dilated. Not that I wasn’t allowed to do it; it just didn’t fit. A song about my mother or about the tooth fairy wouldn’t have fit. I had the opportunity to do a solo album in 2007 once I got off the label. It wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be but it has evolved into a solo career. I’m enjoying the ride that it’s taking me on right now. It just feels natural. If the records are darker then that’s the half of Dilated that I represent.

TWV: Were you nervous at all about how your album would be received?

E: A little bit. Any artist that says anything different is lying. To what degree varies depending on the artist. I know some people care but they don’t let it affect their campaign. I know other artists that do care and it totally affects their campaign. I’m somewhere in the middle. The Dilated albums never really bothered me. We got praised but there wasn’t anything really personal on those albums. You may not like my voice or whatever. But on my solo records it’s all me. If you don’t like those personal songs, that might hurt a little more. The Weatherman LP was received pretty well and this one as well. For a solo artist I think I have a pretty good batting average.

TWV: How does it feel when your more personal records like “Chase The Clouds” connect with people?

E: It’s dope. Any popular song gets weird after a while. I like performing that song for audiences that don’t know my music instead of those that do. Every artist has a set of songs that their fan base knows that you can use as a crutch. Before Cats and Dogs came out I didn’t want to perform any songs off of it at all because I didn’t want it ending up on YouTube and that being the first impression of my album. I would perform a lot of my old ? and I started to feel weird about it. I’ve seen The Roots perform “You Got Me” with like a million different variations. I truly believe in my heart that it’s just because they’re bored of it. I’ve got to keep myself entertained. Even though there are fans that want to hear it exactly how it sounded on the album but sometimes I feel like “? that.” Not that any of my songs are a huge smash but I can understand the feeling. I can imagine that Bon Jovi is tired of performing “Wanted Dead or Alive” all the time and want to yell at audiences “Listen to our new ? !” But it’s dope to know that any song you create reaches people. For Dilated it has always been “Worst Comes to Worst.” That’s the first song that started reaching a lot of people.

TWV: Where does everything stand with Dilated as of right now?

E: We’re starting another album right now. It’s titled Directors of Photography. We haven’t really broken too much ground on it. We’ve picked out a couple of beats. I’m nervous about it because we haven’t released an album in some time. The chemistry is there because we still work together.

TWV: How strange is it to perform and not have Babu behind you or Rakaa by your side?

E: I like it. It’s not that strange. It’s different. I don’t miss a word. There’s no hype man. It’s just me. It’s definitely a true test of an emcee to rock any size crowd you are put in front of. Common and Talib Kweli are two of my biggest inspirations when it comes to that. I’ve seen them rock stages by themselves and really rock it. They aren’t just up there. Black Thought rocks for dolo but he has a band and that comes with a totally different synergy. I’m talking about a big ass stage and you.

TWV: Your career has gone from white label 7” to the rapid releases of the blog scene. How different is it for you to adjust to the changes in the music industry. Do you enjoy where it has gone?

E: Blogs are weird. At the end of The Weatherman LP run was when I really discovered the blogs. By the time The Layover EP came out is when I started really paying attention to the blogs. I saw that people were posting my performances and commenting on my music. I finally made it to NahRight and 2DopeBoyz. I thought it was dope at first but lately I don’t like it as much. Not to say that I don’t like what they are doing, I just don’t like looking at it every day because it will drive you crazy as an artist. So many people can write anything about you. You can get 30 good comments and then one bad comment will make you want to jump off a building. For every artist at some point, if you want to be big, you have to be bigger than the blogs. I don’t mean that I’ve graduated the blogs because there are so many bigger artists that are on the blogs. I just mean that you have to appreciate that you’re on them but not living by it. As an artist it’s difficult to look at people saying “I love you” and then “I hate you” and then “I love you” again. I can’t imagine anybody who is really big goes to these comment sections to see what’s being said. Most artists are too busy to look because they are touring and creating music. I respect the hell out of it. I know it’s there, but to be on it all day is just a little too much.

TWV: How did the collaboration with DJ Premier happen?

E: DJ Premier loves what we’ve done and he’s supported all of it; but to work with Preemo costs money. No matter how much he likes you it’s a business. You work with him, you pay him. That’s how it should be, right? He’s earned that. When we were on Capitol we had a bigger budget and we hired him for “Clockwork.” He won’t work with anybody. The fact that he’ll work with you says something. When I went indie in 2007 I tried to get him back then but I didn’t have the money. This time I made sure to get it right. He made a good deal for me. I got him the money and I got the track. It’s that simple. I hear all these nightmare stories about how long he takes but that wasn’t the case for me. I think I made a good song. I think I still kept it raw enough, but at the same time I didn’t use Premier. I made a chorus that he scratches up. It wasn’t just like I laid a rhyme. It was a good marriage.

TWV: What made you come over to Rhymesayers?

E: I always knew they existed but I was on a major label. When I left Capitol and was doing solo ? it was a whole new world. The Decon and ABB deals were all one offs. I had some interest from major labels but I decided to go with Rhymesayers. They weren’t hunting me down but they also don’t take on artists that they don’t really like. I’m honored.
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    2nd Part:

TWV: “Late For The Sky” featuring Aesop Rock and Slug would have been a backpackers dream back in 2003 but its finally came into fruition in 2011. How did this finally come together?

E: The idea of the song was mine. The first guest I thought of was Slug and then I figured I would have Brother Ali. I figured I should have one song that was completely Rhymesayers. Slug said Brother Ali was not the move because people already know how that would sound and we wouldn’t be breaking any new ground with that. So he suggested we get Aesop Rock because that would get people talking if nothing else. I sent it to Aesop and that was the first time we really chopped it up. I sent him the song while I was in Germany, he sent his verse. I liked it and that was it.

TWV: The artists involved in this new resurgence of the West Coast were merely kids when you, Rakaa and Babu were releasing “Work The Angles” in 1998. What’s it like to see these kids grow up and become what they are today which is actually reflective of the groundwork you laid over a decade ago?

E: I don’t know…I’m from the West and I’ve lived there the whole time. It’s hard when you are hearing this stuff all the time. I don’t watch BET or listen to the radio and I don’t realize that the West Coast is in a “resurgence.” To me it’s always been that we’re innovators and everyone gets a chance to be new. Some people get to be new twice and reinvent themselves. I still have to do my homework on some of these artists. I am tired of people liking artists because they feel that they are supposed to like them; especially older cats trying to cosign new dudes. You can smell the fakeness of that ? a mile away. I know Fashawn because he’s lived at my house. I know Blu. I don’t know Dom Kennedy or Kendrick Lamar’s music. Not to say that I wouldn’t become big fans of them both. I’m just in my own world right now and just really focused on my career. I’m over at Alchemist’s house every day. I’m listening to a lot of Roc Marciano lately. I don’t trip off the west coast. It’s all love. I’m from Venice, Dom Kennedy is from Leimert Park and I’ve never bumped into him anywhere. LA is a big place. I don’t believe that just because we’re all from the west that we all should hold hands. To be honest we don’t all see each other like that. Please note that there are no shots. But it’s the reality of the situation. You don’t walk the streets from Venice to Hollywood and bump into people.
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    So Fashawn lived in Evidence's house, that's dope and explains their collaboration a while back that didn't make the cut, due to it being an iTunes bonus track, SMH.

Funny how Evidence is addicted to the blogs, I think he's above all that as is the whole of Rhymesayers.