Artist of the Month: Kendrick Lamar - Hiii Powered Black Hippy

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Essence
Kendrick-Lamar.jpg

Kendrick Lamar a.k.a. K. Dot was born in Compton, California in 1987 around the time that Eazy-E was teaming with Jerry Heller to form Ruthless Records in the same region. At the age of 1, Kendrick's city was 'put on the map' as the home of 'gangster rap' when the Arabian Prince, DJ Yella, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, Ice Cube and newcomer M.C. Ren formed the group collective N.W.A and released their debut album, 'Straight Outta Compton' (1988). Their influence over not just the future of Compton-bred rappers, but emcee's across the States would become apparent in the following two decades as Death Row Records and later, Aftermath Records continued to reign over the hip hop world with super-producer Dr. Dre at the helm.

A little over two decades later and somewhat unsurprisingly, what was once a young one year old baby born around the time of 'gangster raps' inception, was now the artist accumulating attention for his own mic skills from the producer who has found and developed such artists as multi-platinum artists, Eminem and 50 Cent. But how did Kendrick's voice come to be heard? And what were the steps in which a young Compton native, who isn't gang affiliated, come to being one of the hottest newcomers out of the Bay in recent years? Moreover, how did this one year old transcend into producing one of the best albums to drop in 2011, thus far?

Black Hippy member, Kendrick Lamar wasn't always known by his Government name to the public. Instead, Kendrick experimented with rap music as a teenager after listening to his first CD, DMX's 'It's Dark and Hell is Hot!'. He rapped under the name K. Dot from the age of 13; first pressing and releasing his own CD at the age of 16, entitled 'Youngest Head ? In Charge'. This debut mixtape along with a forced hour-long freestyle in a booth in front of Top Dawg Entertainment's DudeDawg earned him a contract on the label, where he would later release the Training Day and C4 mixtapes.

Some highlights of Training Day:

Some highlights of C4:

As much as a co-sign from Lil Wayne, The Game and Jay-Z had been warmly received by K.Dot, he decided that his fans didn't know who he was; as he would later discuss with Hard Knock TV remembering 'When people heard K.Dot they was like "Yo, the kid is dope, he can rap, but who is he?" You know... that went on for years... "you just another Cat in the streets that rap good, right?" So I was like "You know what, I want people to know who I am as a person and what I represent'. So I woke up one morning and I said "The best way to start it off is to give them me, my name change, my real name, something that my Mother's been calling me for years"'.
717146323-1.jpg

Following the name change in 2009 at the age of 22, Kendrick Lamar would release the coming of age 'Kendrick Lamar EP', which would take Kendrick from the 'cat in the streets that rap good' to the worldwide recognised emcee amongst DJ's and fans in the know. With tracks such as 'Let Me Be Me', Kendrick showed that he was now perfecting his craft and had found the perfect chemistry between his conscious and beats, his rhymes and mellow flow. D.J. Semtex plastered it all over his website and the writer of this article felt like he had found the diamond in the rough.

Versatility is something that every great emcee needs and with this EP, Kendrick was able to showcase the many sides of Kendrick Lamar, which has had writers comparing him to the late Tupac Shakur. 'She Needs Me' discussed Kendrick's perfect woman, showing respect to her accolades in both business and personal life; however, Kendrick still managed to joke that even after being proposed to by another man following their relationship, she would still look that man in the face as he proposed to her and say 'She needs me (Kendrick)'. With a respectable touch to his lyrics on the aforementioned track, Lamar was back to crafting his flow and discussing life on '? & Patron', where he stumbled over a diary entry stating the modern day struggles with outstanding delivery, never more evident than at the end of the 1st verse where he spits:
'Cycles of a starving artist tryna go beyond the margin margin
Maintainin' my modest modest as I dream
So while I go through all this all this ? what you call it
Life itself I know it helps let me scroll through my Blackberry'

The repeated words and multi's displayed an artist coming into his own. With other tracks such as 'Determined' with Ash Riser, 'Is It Love?' with Angela McCluskey and 'Wanna Be Heard', Kendrick rounded off a near-unbeatable EP, receiving rave reviews from blogs and sites; people were beginning to get to know the artist; and the subject matter, along with the name change, was beginning to pay dividends.

Some highlights from the Kendrick Lamar EP:

In 2010, following the success of 'The Kendrick Lamar EP', a host of artists stopped by to show love on 'Overly Dedicated', Kendrick's second outing under his Government name. With remixes to his self-titled EP's hits, 'P & P' and 'She Needs Me' as well as 'I Do this', Kendrick built upon the success he was having with outstanding tracks, 'Growing Apart', 'Average Joe', 'Ignorance is Bliss' and 'H.O.C'. As much as this was a strong outing, high expectations left some listeners wishing for more.

Some outstanding tracks from Overly Dedicated:

Nevertheless, the strength of two solid EP's led to Eminem's manager putting Kendrick in front of legendary producer Dr. Dre, who would later go on to state that he would like to work with Lamar on Power 106's Big Boi's Neighbourhood show. Dre's co-signing of Lamar led to blogs and hip hop sites across the Net publishing articles about the new fresh face from Compton. Chance sightings at the Lakers with Dr. Dre would only add to the hype for the artist who was working on the now infamous album, Detox.

44826_ORIG-dr_1._dre_kendrick_lamar_lakers_game.jpg

However, Lamar was staying busy between shows and was readying the release of his third EP, Section. 80. Kendrick reportedly kept writing and writing for Section. 80 after a message from Tupac Shakur in his dream, who asked Lamar to 'Keep doing what you doing, don’t let my music die'.

It would drop July of 2011 and is currently regarded as one of the best releases of that year. Production was now coming from such producers as J. Cole, showing Lamar's growth in stature as much as his own maturity and skills, which is showcased on tracks such as 'Keisha's Song'. A story about a beautiful woman, forced to become a prostitute to make ends meet only to be left murdered and ? in the street. It's with storytelling abilities such as these where it's never more apparent that Kendrick Lamar has taken his skills to another level and this continues on tracks such as Tammy's Song (Her Evils), where the monogamy and dishonesty of a woman is shown in true conflicting fashion, that is never more apparent in the 21st Century. The same conflicting issues and vices are continually discussed on tracks such as Poe Man's Dreams featuring GLC. An outstanding release with too many tracks to name, if his self-titled EP was his coming of age EP, Section. 80 is his most prolific release to date. An artist with wisdom beyond his years, storytelling abilities that would give Aesop a run for his money and a team behind him that's had Pharrell Williams in the studio as well as others in the industry Tweeting his name.

Section 80's Outstanding Tracks:

The Hiii Power movement is in full effect. Kendrick, The Essence Salutes You!

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yo 'Draft, you introduced me to this ?

Great OP and HipHop's still alive!
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Yo 'Draft, you introduced me to this ?

Great OP and HipHop's still alive!

Thanks Dilla :tu

Hip Hop's definitely still alive!!! Hoping people give this thread a look! I don't think enough people know about The Essence, so I went with a more popular emcee.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    GOAT thread!!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    GOAT thread!!!

Haha thanks Satyr!!!

Know you're a massive fan of Lamar as well, did you manage to read it? I'm always conscious of these threads being too long!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i got thru half so far but its mos def a good read.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Great drop again! I'm gonna listen to those K.Dot songs since I haven't yet
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Great read Ruff Draft. I wish more people would check out this area of the Ill Community because you guys and gals are always putting people up on some good stuff
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    i got thru half so far but its mos def a good read.

Thanks :tu Convince myself more and more that he can break the mainstream every time I listen to his songs; think he has the most potential...
    Great drop again! I'm gonna listen to those K.Dot songs since I haven't yet

They're definitely worth a listen and both mixtapes are available for free over at datpiff.com.
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Great read Ruff Draft. I wish more people would check out this area of the Ill Community because you guys and gals are always putting people up on some good stuff

Thanks 3mcee! I'm kind of hoping that they'll see the Artist of the Month: Kendrick... from The Reason and stop by... the forum does need more promotion, but then I don't want to spam The Reason. I am thinking of putting The Essence in my signature though... maybe along with this thread. You a big fan of Lamar?
  • Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    great thread.

according to wikipedia rza didnt produce that track on section 80 though.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Beware wrote: »
    great thread.

according to wikipedia rza didnt produce that track on section 80 though.

Props on this info, I'll go check my hard copy and see who did! :tu

*edit* Tae Beast of Digi-Phonics. Damn that's nice production!! I'll change my post, props!

Thanks for this, changed it to J. Cole :tu
  • Beware
    edited August 2011
    Options
    no problem. thx for the thread, really helpful for someone like me who literally got into kendrick these past days :)
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Great Thread Draft...

Section 80 is still in heavy rotation for me, only a couple of average songs on that. Great read and i never knew about that Pac vision story.

Keisha's Song is contenter for song of the year so far...
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Great thread! Kendrick is the truth!
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    no problem. thx for the thread, really helpful for someone like me who literally got into kendrick these past days :)

If you don't have a really good understanding of independent music, you should continue to check back in The Essence, we're always spotlighting new ones and underground favourites :tu

Here's a list of the old Artist of the Month's as well:

Artist of the Month: CYNE - Cultivating Your New Experience
    Artist of the Month: CunninLynguists: A Decade of Genius
    Artist of the Month: k-os - Singer, Emcee, Producer & Dreadlocks of Wisdom
    Artist of the Month: Jean Grae - The Genius of Jean Grae
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Great Thread Draft...

Section 80 is still in heavy rotation for me, only a couple of average songs on that. Great read and i never knew about that Pac vision story.

Keisha's Song is contenter for song of the year so far...

Thanks Stupot,

Same for me as well, particularly when running at the minute, it's always on in my iPod Nano (1st gen lol). The Pac vision was a really strange one for me… believable as we always have strange visions in our dreams… but for it to be so clear and mean so much to him, it's kinda dope.

No doubt, but is it definitely the best song on Section. 80? I have so many favourites and in fact, my most played is A.D.H.D, winning by 5 more plays to Keisha's song…
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    Great thread! Kendrick is the truth!

Thanks andre, as is the man in your Av!!! Can't wait to hear something new from Fashawn!!! Might have to only wait until 9th drops his record to hear a new track, but I want that album with Exile if he's definitely doing it with him again!
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • stupot0607
    edited August 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Thanks Stupot,

Same for me as well, particularly when running at the minute, it's always on in my iPod Nano (1st gen lol). The Pac vision was a really strange one for me… believable as we always have strange visions in our dreams… but for it to be so clear and mean so much to him, it's kinda dope.

No doubt, but is it definitely the best song on Section. 80? I have so many favourites and in fact, my most played is A.D.H.D, winning by 5 more plays to Keisha's song

Hii Power is winning by 2 more spins haha, But Keisha's song is defo my favorite song, Although the whole cd is pretty amazing.

? you Ethnicity, A.D.H.D, No Make Up, RR Era, Poe Mans Dreams, Rigamortus, Kush & Corinthians, of course Hiipower. <<<<< All songs which are 5 stars for me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hii Power is winning by 2 more spins haha, But Keisha's song is defo my favorite song, Although the whole cd is pretty amazing.

? you Ethnicity, A.D.H.D, No Make Up, RR Era, Poe Mans Dreams, Rigamortus, Kush & Corinthians, of course Hiipower. <<<<< All songs which are 5 stars for me.

haha technically Hiii Power has been around longer than Keisha's song, I agree it's possibly my favourite overall, but I still really like the concept behind Tammy's song, as that's really relevant as well to our generation, even more so than we can generally relate to a prostitute; even if he attacks that song with much more maturity on the mic.

I still can't get into Rigamortis, the rest, agreed though, the album as a whole is amazing.... my favourite of the year, still.
  • stupot0607
    edited August 2011
    Options
    haha technically Hiii Power has been around longer than Keisha's song, I agree it's possibly my favourite overall, but I still really like the concept behind Tammy's song, as that's really relevant as well to our generation, even more so than we can generally relate to a prostitute; even if he attacks that song with much more maturity on the mic.

I still can't get into Rigamortis, the rest, agreed though, the album as a whole is amazing.... my favourite of the year, still.

Hiii Power has that Epic Hip hop feeling to it, Like when you first heard Biggie Smalls - The What or like Chuck D even, Just like gives you that same feeling of real rap no gimics.

Rigamortis i couldnt get into until i bumped it in my car to work, and i was speeding everywhere, didnt realise, Fast rapping = fast driving haha.

2011 album of the year contenter definitly Although that Co$$ album was amazing & Reks aswell.

My latest Hip hop purchases:

IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG

i couldnt find the old tape deck i used to have or the cassette rack i owned......... i was gutted haha
  • Beware
    edited August 2011
    Options
    why are you still buying cassettes though?
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hiii Power has that Epic Hip hop feeling to it, Like when you first heard Biggie Smalls - The What or like Chuck D even, Just like gives you that same feeling of real rap no gimics.

Rigamortis i couldnt get into until i bumped it in my car to work, and i was speeding everywhere, didnt realise, Fast rapping = fast driving haha.

2011 album of the year contenter definitly Although that Co$$ album was amazing & Reks aswell.

My latest Hip hop purchases:

i couldnt find the old tape deck i used to have or the cassette rack i owned......... i was gutted haha

Yeah, J. Cole really worked that track... I think Section. 80 as a whole is produced to a really high level though...

hahaha I'd try to listen to it in my car, but my CD player is still busted.

I almost copped that Co$$, how did you find it? I haven't downloaded it as it's on my 'to cop list'.

lol @ the cassettes, where you find them?
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Put them 3s up!
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Put them 3s up!

The sky is falling, the wind is calling. Stand for something or die in the morning. Section 80!
  • stupot0607
    edited August 2011
    Options
    why are you still buying cassettes though?

Haha because i found them cheap enough and i cassettes are just a nice throw back, i have all these on cd. I might display classic hip hop cassettes around my place or something... i just need to find my old cassette player now...
    Yeah, J. Cole really worked that track... I think Section. 80 as a whole is produced to a really high level though...

hahaha I'd try to listen to it in my car, but my CD player is still busted.

I almost copped that Co$$, how did you find it? I haven't downloaded it as it's on my 'to cop list'.

lol @ the cassettes, where you find them?

I shopped around amazon, and ebay for them. Nightmare about your cd player.... i got into many cd's drivin on the way to work.

Co$$ album is great, the beats are really distinguished and kinda sound like Sega Megadrive songs IMO. maybe thats why i like it haha. Co$$ lyrics and delivery is amazing.
    Defo worth a listen, contender for album of the year.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I shopped around amazon, and ebay for them. Nightmare about your cd player.... i got into many cd's drivin on the way to work.

Co$$ album is great, the beats are really distinguished and kinda sound like Sega Megadrive songs IMO. maybe thats why i like it haha. Co$$ lyrics and delivery is amazing.
    Defo worth a listen, contender for album of the year.

That's cool, I like the Makaveli one the best; the proportion of the cassette fits the cover really well.

Yeah, same. I need to fix it, got its MOT in September though, so I might just ask for them to shove one in it then, or I'll not be lazy and figure how to install one.

That's a great sound to experiment with… that track you posted in the What You Bumpin' Right Now thread was great! I'll cop it in September and listen to it then! Looking forward to Christmas as all the sleepers will be out and I'm going to go HAM on UGHH.