What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Sion's How To Invest Thread [Everything you need to invest properly and much more...]

Replies

• buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to invest in a tech ETF.. I was looking at large cap FIDELITY MSCI INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INDEX (FTEC) and PowerShares S&P SmallCap Information Technology Portfolio (PSCT).. thoughts?? At least with FTEC dividends have increased every year, low expense ratio..

Also interested in an ETF that tracks foreign markets..
    BUTTUH B - 2013 REASON DEBATES VI CHAMPION

Lakers, Eagles, Mets, Capitals, Buckeyes (CFB), Bruins, (CBB), War Rigondeaux, War Crawford!
    #VegasLight #SwagShow #PopeyesHive
  • dwade206dwade206 Posts: 11,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Want to invest in a tech ETF.. I was looking at large cap FIDELITY MSCI INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INDEX (FTEC) and PowerShares S&P SmallCap Information Technology Portfolio (PSCT).. thoughts?? At least with FTEC dividends have increased every year, low expense ratio..

Check Voo or Voog (Vanguard)
    Bustin a new nut on @R.D's moms collarbone everyday.
    dwade206 wrote: »

Check Voo or Voog (Vanguard)

Already got holding in VOO. I want something that tracks a tech sector index. This been the top performing sector and don't seem to be losing steam any time soon. Most of my individual stock holdings are consumer discretionary, trying to broaden my exposure.

Lakers, Eagles, Mets, Capitals, Buckeyes (CFB), Bruins, (CBB), War Rigondeaux, War Crawford!
  • ThatDamnJayThatDamnJay Posts: 3,629 My Name Is My Name.

I haven't looked at the ones u just brought up, but I have peeped the PowerShares (QQQ) technology ETF in the past. I didn't cop any shares, due to wanting more exposure to individual stocks at that time, but u might wanna check it out. their expense ratio is currently at 0.20%, so it's higher than a "typical" Vanguard ETF, but that's still not bad.

..................ROLL DAMN TIDE

@JayChillinBro
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep an eye on nvidia

They are the only people with enough onboard power to run certain AI programming.

The top dawgs Use it as a Goto tor processing speed until motherbkard chips catch up.
    you have the dude who is naturally thorough -Alpha
    you have the dude that wants to be thorough so he pretend to be Alpha -Beta
    then you have the nigga who wants to hang with the first two to be seen and grab any dropped crumbs.- Omega

I am still struggling between blocks to get from the have nots to the have yachts and I won't be stopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HhTZZdVbjio

• 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh an you can also create a stock trading artficial intelligence program
    you have the dude who is naturally thorough -Alpha
    you have the dude that wants to be thorough so he pretend to be Alpha -Beta
    then you have the nigga who wants to hang with the first two to be seen and grab any dropped crumbs.- Omega

I am still struggling between blocks to get from the have nots to the have yachts and I won't be stopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HhTZZdVbjio

Considering KNOP, Verizon, Iron Mountain, Dominion Energy and Cisco; healthy dividends.
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Considering KNOP, Verizon, Iron Mountain, Dominion Energy and Cisco; healthy dividends.

Verizon dividends may not be stable. Here's a good article I just read. They mention Verizon's declining cash flows in recent years and questionable growth strategy

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4128679-2-telecom-giants-1-trade-1-investment

Will look into it; props
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 45,650 Regulator
    edited December 2017
    Warren Buffett on Bitcoin

IC Moderator and AHH Editor

http://community.allhiphop.com/categories/site-help

^^^ If you need anything go here

jono wrote: »
    This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Message to the trills of the IC: May Legion Of Trill be your enemies downfall
  • Olorun22Olorun22 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    Warren Buffett on Bitcoin

cool story
  • dasmooth1dasmooth1 Posts: 163 ✭✭
    Bill Gates has endorsed cryptocurrency and when it comes to technology i think i would listen to him over warren buffet.
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 45,650 Regulator
    dasmooth1 wrote: »
    Bill Gates has endorsed cryptocurrency and when it comes to technology i think i would listen to him over warren buffet.

Cryptocurrency is a way to transfer money - not an investment. Gates supports digital currency he doesn't invest in them the way a Warren Buffett does. He is looking for utility to improve something.

This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
  • dasmooth1dasmooth1 Posts: 163 ✭✭

Cryptocurrency is a way to transfer money - not an investment. Gates supports digital currency he doesn't invest in them the way a Warren Buffett does. He is looking for utility to improve something.

At the moment we are seeing it is both. A store of wealth and a means of exchange. It may become one or the other exclusively in time. It's clearly too volatile to be a true currency at the moment. Ultimately nobody truly knows where it is going

At the moment we are seeing it is both. A store of wealth and a means of exchange. It may become one or the other exclusively in time. It's clearly too volatile to be a true currency at the moment. Ultimately nobody truly knows where it is going

My only gripe is its not to be used as an investment, it is a way to move money. You wouldn't "invest" your money in any currency and expect a return you shouldn't do the same with a cryptocurrency. And I disagree with its future - he who sits on the shoulders of a giant can see much further. Tulip mania, beanie babies, dot-com companies, alchemy, the railroad mania and railroad rise of the 1960s, Eldorado gold on and on I could go - these are all real events that happened in history and had disastrous results. This too will crash just like all the others.

The problem is that people are looking at these as a way to make money and that's where the problems arise. Another issue is it can be replicated out of thin air.

• Qiv_OwanQiv_Owan Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only gripe is its not to be used as an investment, it is a way to move money. You wouldn't "invest" your money in any currency and expect a return you shouldn't do the same with a cryptocurrency. And I disagree with its future - he who sits on the shoulders of a giant can see much further. Tulip mania, beanie babies, dot-com companies, alchemy, the railroad mania and railroad rise of the 1960s, Eldorado gold on and on I could go - these are all real events that happened in history and had disastrous results. This too will crash just like all the others.

The problem is that people are looking at these as a way to make money and that's where the problems arise. Another issue is it can be replicated out of thin air.

@Sion whats your take on this

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/bitcoin-futures-trading-opens-bringing-crypto-to-wall-street/ar-BBGylMH

Cboe Global Markets Inc. started letting traders buy and sell bitcoin futures Sunday evening. Fewer than 120 January contracts traded in the first seven minutes of trading, with the price getting as high as 16,660 before slipping below 16,000. Bitcoin itself spiked briefly as the futures opened, nearly reaching $16,000.

The launch of futures is a closely watched watershed for bitcoin -- testing infrastructure that will make it easier for legions of mainstream investors to bet on or against the currency, potentially affecting its price. Yet investors, traders and the exchange itself have been predicting transactions would start modestly before gaining momentum. “As with any new futures product, we anticipate trading will undergo a slow build over time,” Cboe said in a statement Friday.

Futures trading on a regulated exchange could lure professional investors and traders who had been reluctant, or prohibited by their investment rules, from buying bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies on the mostly unregulated markets where it’s traded for years. Some users of those little-policed venues have also been targeted successfully by hackers who’ve stolen digital tokens. The futures, as well as similar contracts set to start trading in a week on CME Group Inc.’s exchange, should also make it easier to bet on bitcoin’s decline.

BBGykzL.img?h=410&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by Bloomberg LP
    Being on the sidelines has been painful. This year alone, bitcoin’s up more than 1,400 percent. The surge has been driven largely by demand from individual investors, even as technical obstacles keep out big money managers like mutual funds.

With gains like that, “it feels like the top,” Mike Novogratz, chief executive officer of Galaxy Investment Partners, which is raising a crypto hedge fund targeted at $500 million, said last week. “One reason that it might not be the top, in the short run even, is that usually markets end with exhaustion when there are no buyers left. This is a combination of, they can’t process the amount of buyers that want in. And so, I don’t think it’s the top. I think it could have been just a speculative frenzy.”

g9l78dfvl4qv.png

© Provided by Bloomberg LP
    Derivatives trading is the culmination of a wild year for bitcoin, which captured imaginations and investment around the world, propelled by its stratospheric gains, and its anti-establishment mission as a currency without the backing of a government or a central bank, and a payment system without a reliance on banks. The derivatives contracts should thrust bitcoin more squarely into the realm of regulators, banks and institutional investors. In addition to the contracts at Cboe and CME, which will start trading Dec. 18, Cantor Fitzgerald LP won approval from regulators to trade binary options, and LedgerX, a startup exchange, already trades bitcoin options.

“There will be a ramp-up time,” said Ari Paul, chief investment officer of Blocktower Capital Advisors LP, said last week, before futures trading had started. “There just isn’t a rush. The professional traders will mostly be looking to do arbitrage, between the futures and bitcoin itself. I don’t expect massive money flows right away but then I expect gradual buying from people who want passive exposure” without buying bitcoin directly.

QuickTake: All about bitcoin, blockchain and the crypto world

The two exchanges on Dec. 1 got permission to offer the contracts after pledging to the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission that the products don’t run afoul of the law, in a process called self-certification.

Not everyone is convinced it’s a good idea. On Dec. 6, the Futures Industry Association -- a group of major banks, brokers and traders -- said the contracts were rushed without enough consideration of the risks. Last month, Thomas Peterffy, the billionaire chairman of Interactive Brokers Group Inc., wrote an open letter to CFTC Chairman J. Christopher Giancarlo, arguing that bitcoin’s large price swings mean its futures contracts shouldn’t be allowed on platforms that clear other derivatives.

Still, Interactive Brokers is offering its customers access to the futures, though with greater restrictions. They won’t be able to go short -- betting that prices will decline -- and Interactive’s margin requirement, or how much investors have to set aside as collateral, will be at least 50 percent. That’s higher than either Cboe’s or CME’s margin requirements.

QuickTake Q&A: Understanding bitcoin’s rapid price rise

Cboe’s futures are cash-settled and based on the Gemini auction price for bitcoin in U.S. dollars. The exchange plans to impose trading limits to curb volatility, halting trading for two minutes if prices rise or fall 10 percent, and a five-minute halt kicks in at 20 percent. Margins for Cboe bitcoin futures, which will be cleared by Options Clearing Corp., will be at 40 percent or higher.

--With assistance from Matthew Leising and Doug Alexander

To contact the reporters on this story: Rob Urban in New York at [email protected], Camila Russo in New York at [email protected]

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Nick Baker at [email protected], Jeremy Herron at [email protected], David Scheer

©2017 Bloomberg L.P.
    tumblr_m5ems1iw2F1qi26lwo1_500.gif
    rs_640x360-160619194524-game_of_thrones-battle_of_the_bastards-6_55_33_pm_-_6_55_37_pm-2016-06-19.gif

Most cryptos have a limited supply and cannot be replicated out of thin air (blockchain, proof of work, etc)
  • traestartraestar Atlantic City, NJPosts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking to make a bitcoin usb wallet soon, I believe I found my lost dat file

• FosheezyFosheezy AKA Flying Wonders the Diamond Mind Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What y’all gonna do when Bitcoin hit 100k
  • Olorun22Olorun22 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fosheezy wrote: »

IDK nigga what are you going to do?
    killap
    Olorun22 wrote: »

IDK nigga what are you going to do?
    I’ll be counting the commas in my accounts hopefully
    edited December 2017
    HIBB is up almost 50 percent since @Sion mentioned it in this thread by the way
    *edit*
    Matter fact it’s up a bit more than 50%
    ThatDamnJaySion
  • KillaChamKillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Posts: 11,413 Regulator
    edited December 2017
    Yo I know Bitcoin has been shitted on previously in here. However my roomie put 100 into Litecoin last week and it turned into 350. His mom put 1500 into that bitch. You sure it's not a good time to jump in?
    zvvgw2.jpgzvvgw2.jpgzvvgw2.jpg
    KillaCham wrote: »
    Yo I know Bitcoin has been shitted on previously in here. However my roomie put 100 into Litecoin last week and it turned into 350. His mom put 1500 into that bitch. You sure it's not a good time to jump in?

I will tell you straight up this isn't the first or last time shit like this has happened in the markets. And I can guarantee you all of these cryptocurrencies will fail and come crashing to the ground along with your investment. I don't know when but I know it will happen. Now your money is entirely yours to risk and maybe you can invest and know exactly when to pull out NH but that's not me and from what I've seen and I've seen a lot of market crashes, crazes and trends go up in flames and this is no different. Take your risk and good luck.

I won't be investing in this shit EVER. Currency has never been an investment let alone a good one. Your future returns are entirely dependent on other people's attitudes about them and that's never a good place to be in with your money. There's nothing tangible behind it. Bitcoin, zloty, Litecoin, monero, zcash, potcoin, etc I seen em all fam and many more will be made out of thin air. What makes that currency more valuable than the other and why should it increase more than the other ? That's risk and gambling and not my discipline. It's crazy man I've had dozens of clients come to me about cryptocurrency and one fool took out a loan against his house to buy into them and another his daughter's entire college funds. He told me straight up he's willing to accept the risk.

You don't have to take my advice but do tread lightly fam....

HIBB is up almost 50 percent since @Sion mentioned it in this thread by the way
    *edit*
    Matter fact it’s up a bit more than 50%

And what's wild is it's going to continue to grow or get acquired by a larger Company. There's A LOT of these types of companies out there people can invest in and earn 10x their Investment on in the long term but most people ignore and overlook them in favor of faster and hot shot stocks of the time. They all learn the hard way. Warren Company used to sell for $13 a share and he was compounding returns in excess of 25% back to back and NOBODY knew who he was or gave a shit. Today Berkshire Hathaway stock price is just shy of 300k.... PER SHARE.

You can lead a horse to water but can't force it to drink. Human nature will always remain that's why the Buffett types will be few and far between.

FosheezyThatDamnJay