Why the PS3 can't do cross-game chat

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in IllGaming
Cross-game voice chat is not possible on the PlayStation 3 because of memory restrictions, Sony has revealed.

The PS3's RAM is gobbled up by the games it runs, which prevents the much-desired feature from being implemented, Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer.

"Once a game gets RAM we never give it back," he said. "It's not possible to retrofit something like that after the fact."

As revealed by Eurogamer yesterday, PS Vita, due out in Europe early next year, actually has more RAM than the PS3.

Vita has 512MB of RAM and 128MB of V-RAM, compared to the PS3's 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM. This enables features such as cross-game voice chat to run in the background while games are being played.

On the PS3, however, things are different.

"The game has to use its own memory to do [in-game voice chat]. There's always voice chat in the game. But it's a part of a game feature. It's not a part of an OS feature. That's the reason in terms of the ability to have voice chat across different games."

So, voice chat is better on Vita than PS3?

"We totally agree!" Yoshida replied.

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Well, so much for "It Only Does Everything"...

Such a basic, but important feature that 360 owners take for granted. Sucks if you have a PS3 I guess.

Sony should release a separate little voice box speaker since their machine can't handle it on its own, like Nintendo did with the Wii.
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I got a 360 and a PS3 but I don't even talk on it.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol @ this ? . So they knew this from the jump but decided to wait over 5 years to tell people this. Coulda just nipped this discussion in the bud, but wait...it's Sony, the Kings of bullshitting people.

Oh well, doesn't really matter to me. You can't miss something that you never had and I don't even use the 360 really, so.....
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    and yet, life goes on. Never once have i said "you know, id really like to hear starslayerxxx or EaglesFan7's voice while Im playing Uncharted..."

next up is an article why 360 cant play blurays
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    so 360 has more RAM
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    and yet, life goes on.

or how about why are blu rays worthless
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    or how about why are blu rays worthless

not as worthless as HD-DVDs though lmao
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    and yet, life goes on. Never once have i said "you know, id really like to hear starslayerxxx or EaglesFan7's voice while Im playing Uncharted..."

I'm good, i don't want a dvd player that just happens to play games.
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    King Drew wrote: »
    I'm good, i don't want a dvd player that just happens to play games.

really, cuz thats what most systems are already (except the wii)

if i was buying a next gen system today, PS3's lack of cross voice chat wouldnt matter one bit in my decision. but like i said if you absolutely need to hear other people talk about whatever theyre doing, by all means enjoy ur cross voice chat. i ignore 90% of messages i get on psn, i would probably ignore 99% of voice messages.
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Well, so much for "It Only Does Everything"...

Such a basic, but important feature that 360 owners take for granted. Sucks if you have a PS3 I guess.

Sony should release a separate little voice box speaker since their machine can't handle it on its own, like Nintendo did with the Wii.

true,also proves ? tuff tony on the IC but church mouses on the ps3,,lol

And wtf still buys blu-rays?!? lol,, cant remember the last time i watched any movie in a disc form.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    not as worthless as HD-DVDs though lmao

lol lol @ anybody that bought the add-on
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? cross game chat.....? is worthless....
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    LOL @ a "dvd player that just happens to play games"

LOL @ ? who still think Blu Ray or any disk is a "feature", "cutting edge" or the "the future".

LOL @ ? who still game in a vacuum with no voice chat like its 2001 and they playing PS2

LOL @ ? who own PS3's talking about how they "probably" wouldn't use voice chat, as if they have a choice.
  • earth two superman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol @ coming to post only on threads about systems you dont even own
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lAnd wtf still buys blu-rays?!? lol,, cant remember the last time i watched any movie in a disc form.

^The doctor does...
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I ? with PS3 all day...

Matter of fact, mostly all my peeps besides the young generation ? with PS3...

Cross chat...so what...

The doc just can't do the 360 Live joint...its honkyville round those parts...
  • Melanin_Enriched
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Talking to dudes you know >>>>Listening to a kid singing justin bieber songs in game chat.
  • funkdocdamc
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Talking to dudes you know >>>>Listening to a kid singing justin bieber songs in game chat.
    They do that on both systems tho; It's called the mute option

I'm guessing people stay in the house all day or have no interaction with "friends" in the real world since it seems like the only time people can talk to them is through party chat on xbl. Damn, I'm so cool...I have Leroy, Man Man and & Jerome in a party chat even though we're all playing different games.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    PS3 loses again.

Chelsea won
  • Melanin_Enriched
    edited August 2011
    Options
    They do that on both systems tho; It's called the mute option

I'm guessing people stay in the house all day or have no interaction with "friends" in the real world since it seems like the only time people can talk to them is through party chat on xbl. Damn, I'm so cool...I have Leroy, Man Man and & Jerome in a party chat even though we're all playing different games.

Damn brah, catching feelings over your inferior system?
    What you do when both teams are filled with racists? Mute both teams and pretend you're playing solitaire?
  • funkdocdamc
    edited August 2011
    Options
    What you do when both teams are filled with racists? Mute both teams and pretend you're playing solitaire?

lol nah, only the first part of the quote was directed at you. I have both systems; I actually have had the 360 longer than the PS3, so it's no reason to catch feelings at all. I still don't use party chat, probably why I don't really give a ? about it.

I think racists online are funny, so I don't really mind it; It's basically the internet, so you know I don't care what a person says online.
  • Terrorist_Jones
    edited August 2011
    Options

LOL @ you not knowing the ways of the arcade,, ? got a whole lot ? to say and type on the IC,, but are church mouses on the psn

my ? ,, you gotta understand the ps3 owners dont play with family or friends online so cross chat is pointless to them. theres no crews or clans,, just lone soldiers , plus ? dont game on the ps3,, we have ps3 just to tell people we own a high dolla gaming console and we watch the ? outta netflix on it!
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol PS3 won, we don't need cross chat, for what? ? has no real advantage.
  • Terrorist_Jones
    edited August 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    lol PS3 won, we don't need cross chat, for what? ? has no real advantage.

you get what im saying now drew? lol
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol

Hey it also goes to show that instead of implementing cross chat which obviously takes up ? space, they decided to make a better superior console by implementing ? that actually matters for a gaming console. Plu I'd rather hear arguments on Black Ops about who's a noob and racist comments being said and threats lol ? is hella funny

#winning