Any Pink Floyd fans in here?

Options
Lab Baby
Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
Seems like they get slept on alot, especially by the young'ns, even though they had two of the highest selling albums ever. Who here's up on them?

Comments

• ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Dark side of the moon used to get crazy burn from me in like 7th grade
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i listened to the entire dark side of the moon 2 summers ago while staring at a lava lamp and tripping hard off acid. so i ? with them.
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    they had a great artistic run from like 1967-1981

the surviving members of the Beatles will probably never admit it but they were influenced by Floyds Pyschedelic experimenation in the late 60's i cant imagine the Beatles doing records like SGT Pepper without hearing the Acid induced far left sound of the Floyd in 1966-67

Floyd took San Fran Haight/Ashbury rock (Jefferson airplane, Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Grateful Dead) and flipped it with a British Feel and it became Progressive Rock and its own genre that still sounds good to this day!
  • Triple B's
    Triple B's Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    "All in all ur just another brick in the wall"
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mos Def...............
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall are classic but i like some of their more slept on albums even better. check out Wish You Were Here, Animals, Meddle and Obscured by Clouds.
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    the surviving members of the Beatles will probably never admit it but they were influenced by Floyds Pyschedelic experimenation in the late 60's i cant imagine the Beatles doing records like SGT Pepper without hearing the Acid induced far left sound of the Floyd in 1966-67

I might have to disagree with you on that. I could be wrong but I think that the truth is that both bands had a more or less equal amount of relatively minor influence on each other, and perhaps either the Beatles had more influence on Pink Floyd rather than the other way around or Pink Floyd had relatively little influence on the Beatles as far as psychedelic rock goes. If I'm not mistaken, even though Sgt Pepper and Pink Floyd's debut album were released in the same year, Sgt. Pepper was released a couple of months before Pink Floyd even released their first album. I've read that Pink Floyd actually hung out and watched the Beatles work on Sgt Pepper at their recodring studio before they released their debut album.

I think that psychedelic pioneers such as Frank Zappa and especially the Beach Boys and their Pet Sounds (the Beatles publicly admitted the influence that album had on them and Sgt Peppers) had much more influence on the Beatles than Pink Floyd, at least during the late 60s.
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Seems like they get slept on alot, especially by the young'ns, even though they had two of the highest selling albums ever. Who here's up on them?

I like Pink Floyd, though sometimes their music is a hit or miss with me. Love thier music though. It's so weird, diverse, and smooth. But I need to check out more of their less popular work.

I can't stand thier die-hard fans though, even some of their casual fans too. They just possibly can't get any more pretentious and snobby. Sometimes they're worse than Beatles fans.
  • Lab Baby
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I like Pink Floyd, though sometimes their music is a hit or miss with me. Love thier music though. It's so weird, diverse, and smooth. But I need to check out more of their less popular work.

I can't stand thier die-hard fans though, even some of their casual fans too. They just possibly can't get any more pretentious and snobby. Sometimes they're worse than Beatles fans.

True. They swear to ? that theyre the Mecca of rock. I used to think this too, til I got into Jefferson Airplane, Cream, Rush, etc. Floyd is dope, but there's a lot of good stuff out there too, if you open your mind.
    they had a great artistic run from like 1967-1981

Floyd took San Fran Haight/Ashbury rock (Jefferson airplane, Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Grateful Dead) and flipped it with a British Feel and it became Progressive Rock and its own genre that still sounds good to this day!

The Beatles actually got their influence in Sgt Pepper from, believe it or not, The Beach Boys. There's a video somewhere (check any Beatles documentary) where they stated that they listened to Pet Sounds and got ideas. Don't quote me on this, but I think they were in the studio also and learned stuff from there.

Pet Sounds, Revolver/Sgt Pepper, and Piper At The Gates of Dawn were pretty much the definitive psychedelic albums.

EDIT: I was wrong, they weren't in the studio, but they were definitely inspired by Pet Sounds. Actually, Pets Sounds was inspired by Revolver, not so much musically, but in the sense of trying to make a better album.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Love me some Floyd. Fave albums dark side of the moon, wish you were here, the wall. still listen to them to this day.
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The Beatles actually got their influence in Sgt Pepper from, believe it or not, The Beach Boys. There's a video somewhere (check any Beatles documentary) where they stated that they listened to Pet Sounds and got ideas. Don't quote me on this, but I think they were in the studio also and learned stuff from there.

Did you know that I had already said this? I'm not being a ? , just being playfully curious.
  • snap
    snap Members Posts: 298
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Dang, I just was saying how I wanted to check out some of their music because I never really have. Looks like I should start with Darkside of the Moon and The Wall.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Love Pink Flyod and psychedelic rock/blues in general from Cream to Jefferson airplane to Jimi.

Listen to 60s/70s blues/rock as much as Hip Hop
  • Alisterz
    Alisterz Members Posts: 11
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Pink Floyd still invades my iPod.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The Wall>>>>Dark Side

*ducks*
  • El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I like Pink Floyd a lot and I don't think they are all that slept on, you're just hanging out with the wrong people. Walk on my son, walk on, to the machine. BAWSSE!! Take that Take that.
  • psychobutcher
    psychobutcher Members Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Darkside>>>>Animals>>>>Wish you were here. Real ? , greatest rock group ever. Sayeth the Psychobutcher.
  • Lab Baby
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The Wall>>>>Dark Side

*ducks*

Agreed. One of the best concept/story telling albums ever

Wish You Were Here >>>>>>

Animals was nice, but a bit pretentious musically (if that makes sense). Pigs is my ? tho.
  • Lab Baby
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Darkside>>>>Animals>>>>Wish you were here. Real ? , greatest rock group ever. Sayeth the Psychobutcher.

That's a bold statement, but hard to disagree with. David Gilmour is def. top 3 guitarists of all time.
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2011
    Options
    That's a bold statement, but hard to disagree with. David Gilmour is def. top 3 guitarists of all time.

I just assumed that he meant "favorite" instead of "greatest". Imo, Pink Floyd couldn't possibly be the greatest rock group ever, based on a reasonably given set of criteria. They're great though no doubt about it.
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I dig Pink Floyd but I got to be in a mellow mood ya know? Just chillin around its ok.