SMART or DUMB? Wilson Chandler signs with Chinese team, will miss NBA season

MillzOG
MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
edited August 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Chandler signed with Chinese team Zhejiang Guangsha of the Chinese Basketball Association, basically the Chinese basketball association isn't accepting players that are still under contract so guys like Melo, Durant and others you heard of that were gonna go out there can't really do it. But the other stipulation is that for any NBA players that do go over there during the lockout, they can't just jump ship and come back to the NBA once the lockout ends.

"Maybe I'll lose out," Chandler said. "But I think it can be a great experience. I haven't been in any [labor negotiation] meetings. I can't call it. I'm just taking a risk, at the end of the day."

In theory Chandler could rejoin the league on a prorated for part of the season if the NBA is playing in April. Only the CBA finalists were still playing in April last season, so unless the Lions are among the last two battling for the championship Chandler would be available for the end of the NBA regular season if the usual schedule is followed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6907302/wilson-chandler-signs-contract-chinese-team

What do ya think about this calculated risk? I like it, especially since he'd be able to come back and play in the playoffs unless his chinese team is fighting for a championship.

oh yea, RIP Michael Jackson THE GOAT

Comments

• blank..
    blank.. Members Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Dumb..

He had a spot in the rotation there in Denver and I'm not sure where he was contractually with the Nuggets but I'm sure they would have loved to keep him long term.
  • MillzOG
    edited August 2011
    blank.. wrote: »
    Dumb..

He had a spot in the rotation there in Denver and I'm not sure where he was contractually with the Nuggets but I'm sure they would have loved to keep him long term.

he was restricted free agent
  • blank..
    edited August 2011
    he was restricted free agent

Wow..

What the ? did the Chinese team offer him?

I didnt read the story..
  • blank..
    edited August 2011
    Wilson must have felt slighted when they drafted Faried.
  • MillzOG
    edited August 2011
    blank.. wrote: »
    Wow..

What the ? did the Chinese team offer him?

I didnt read the story..

lol I aint even read the whole story....but im assuming it was more about the experience than it was the offer...I mean from his quote you can tell he doesn't know wtf is going on with the labor dispute. Talkin about "I haven't been in any meetings, I can't call it" He's probably just tryna be sure that hes gon have his money instead of hopin the NBA is gonna get back on track in time.

What I really wanna know is whats gonna be his contractual status when he comes back the following year. You know how they have the restricted free agent tag, then the next year they're unrestricted...I wonder if he'll come back and still be restricted.

Idk why he'd feel slighted by Faried, if anybody Kenyon Martin should feel slighted ? if they even thinkin about starting Faried out of position at the 3 then they're retards anyway. Especially with my man Galo in the fold.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    It's dumb simply because of the stipulation they have in place
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Smart, you're balling against some competition and he gets a chance to do possibly more then the Nuggets required which will expand his game, you getting paid, and with the way the NBA lockout going I don't see that clearing up anytime soon unless some concessions are made
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    ? I take the risk. ? is not looking good for the NBA.
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Smart for the fact he gets t play, will have a lot more minutes, he will get better if he does it the right way, and with denver drafting Faried and with Danillo Gallinari in denver, his clock would be lower. He can make this smart mostly if he gets better and becomes a 17+ guard but i doubt his work rate helps but it's his career
  • Lightupthathalo
    Lightupthathalo Members Posts: 11
    edited August 2011
    Smart because there will be no NBA season. Hell if he lights it up he can make himself some cash because china is nba crazy. also, ot's not like there's any urgency to get a deal done. They've only met 3 times since the lockout started. Owners will make sure they ? the players and then the deal will get done
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    he needs to come to the knicks after. we miss this ? b
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    aint gonna be no nba season, alot of the nba owners also own NHL teams and see the value of canceling a whole season
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    PiffyHaze wrote: »
    he needs to come to the knicks after. we miss this ? b

This right here....gallo missed to man smh
  • MillzOG
    edited August 2011
    Galo the GOAT >
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    he must see a lot of financial opportunity over there word to Marbury.........
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Well i dnt see how its dumb where as of right now theres no hope for a season and chandler can ball out and make money while most ? gonna b sittin at home. Hopefully he signed a 1 yr deal tho. He was my fav knick player a while back tho because he got better every year and he showed he can be a versatile player. My only issue with dude is when he dunks he does it with no emotion or no flair even when he does some nice ? .
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    am I missing something here or do yall not know faried is a pf? The drafting of faried has nothing to do with this ? . Anyways it's a dumb move to me especially of the nba does somehow how have a season. Wilson has been a player that's continued to improve year after year, I don't think China is gonna do ? for his development. Why not just sign with a team that will let you go to the nba if there is a season like everyone else is doing?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    And they called Starbury crazy....