Watch the Throne vs. Distant Relatives

Options
gifted
gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Face Off Forum
Just listened to Watch the Throne in its entirety and I must say I strangely really enjoyed it and thought it was better than expected. It feelsmore like a Kanye album featuring Jay on all the songs. It strangely reminds me of Distant Relatives in that, it feels like a Damian Marley album featuring Nas. Both albums represent where Nas and Jay are at and how they have progressed in their lives. I realise that Jay now represents financial empowerment and Nas represents spirtual/artisitic empowerment and both are trying to get their people to aspire to those principles-The Money and the Message. I think both albums are dope in their own rights but Distant Relatives takes this in sheer amount of difficulty, overall cohesion and balance. Murder to Excellence is sheer dopeness. Listen to the message as well. Nas woulda destroyed that beat just like Nas just straight shat on the Carter IV outro track. What are your thoughts. No stanning/hating just your objective thoughts.

Comments

• CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited August 2011
    Options
    TheCD everybody wanted vs. The CD nobody asked for..

Sorry I don't like Nas or reggae
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Nas is the GOAT mc at the moment no way around it dude is doing ? I never imagen.Watch the throne I imagened it.
  • DanknDrank
    DanknDrank Members Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    CapitalC wrote: »
    TheCD everybody wanted vs. The CD nobody asked for..

Sorry I don't like Nas or reggae

The CD everybody felt disappointed after listening to < The CD that soul built
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The album where the 2 artist rapped about money which they have proved to have > The album about Africa where the two artist ain't really in Africa doing ? to help
  • Bigavelli
    Bigavelli Members Posts: 3,465
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Distant Relatives is the much better Album

Superior Content, superior Lyrics and much better Production

Replay value is low on Watch The Throne
  • 7thwardslim
    7thwardslim Members Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Damien Marley Verse in Sabali > Watch the Throne entire CD
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I didn't like WTT at first, but it grew on me.... DR >>>>>>>>> tho
  • Bigavelli
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    The album where the 2 artist rapped about money which they have proved to have > The album about Africa where the two artist ain't really in Africa doing ? to help

If you just wanna hear Rappers Rap about having money and selling drug's just stick to listening to Jay Z, Gucci Mane, Lil Wayne, OJ Da Juiceman, Jadakiss, Cassidy etc

Can't knock your taste we all have different taste but stick to those Rappers
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Distant Relatives damn near bored me to death and the chemistry between Nas and Marley was off-putting for the most part....

WTT is by far more entertaining....I could bump that album on a regular basis....
    Distant Relatives I could bump when I'm having trouble falling asleep
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

nas gotta be worst, i never heard a ? kick so much knowledge about what ? should be like, and never go out and try to do something about it, like donate money or some ? ......

plus ? in the hood dont listen to nas no more, ? fell the ? off the map

only ? nas fans on the iternet talks about that ? .......
  • Bigavelli
    edited August 2011
    Options
    nas gotta be worst, i never heard a ? kick so much knowledge about what ? should be like, and never go out and try to do something about it, like donate money or some ? ......

plus ? in the hood dont listen to nas no more, ? fell the ? off the map

only ? nas fans on the iternet talks about that ? .......

I've never been a big Nas fan i think he 1 of the most boring Rappers ever and has the worst Production ever and find his replay value low

But he can Rap and Illmatic his best Album is a classic for Lyricism

But mostly only people on the Internet seem to listen to him don't know anyone outside the IC that bump's Nas or ever has like that
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I made this thread last month any way DR>>>>
  • dan_the_man.com
    dan_the_man.com Members Posts: 701
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i feel like they're on the same level with respect to what they wanted to achieve..

nas & damian wanted to do an album addressing a subject that doesn't really get discussed in mainstream rap (nowadays anyway) & make good music..

ye & jay just wanted to let ? know u can have 'swag' & still make good music..

they both successfully achieved their goals..
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Distant Relatives and it aint close
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Entertainment wise WTT
    Content wise DR

Distant Relatives ftw
  • Bigavelli
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Watch The Throne - 4/10

Distant Relatives - 6.5/10
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Bigavelli wrote: »
    Watch The Throne - 4/10

Distant Relatives - 6.5/10

A bit harsh dude. No disrespect but I think you should try listening to both albums again with an open mind. Just out of curiousity- what the last alum to score a 8 or 9 in your book?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i feel like they're on the same level with respect to what they wanted to achieve..

nas & damian wanted to do an album addressing a subject that doesn't really get discussed in mainstream rap (nowadays anyway) & make good music..

ye & jay just wanted to let ? know u can have 'swag' & still make good music..

they both successfully achieved their goals..

CS........
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    gifted wrote: »
    A bit harsh dude. No disrespect but I think you should try listening to both albums again with an open mind. Just out of curiousity- what the last alum to score a 8 or 9 in your book?

Bruv you don't kno' who this is?...You new here or something?..She gonna turn this into an Eminem thread in a second if you allow her
  • StartsWithU
    StartsWithU Members Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Options

Nas is actually working with UNICEF to help kids in Africa who are affected by the drought right now...also He and Damian give proceeds from their album sales and shows to Africa. Do a little research before you decide to come on here talkin' ? ...clown...
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Nas is actually working with UNICEF to help kids in Africa who are affected by the drought right now...also He and Damian give proceeds from their album sales and shows to Africa. Do a little research before you decide to come on here talkin' ? ...clown...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i wasn't feeling WTT, distance relatives was alright but whats funny is that i know more white peolpe who bump that album then blacks where i live, i was talking to this guy who's straight up white and he was telling me how much he loves distant relatives.
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The only ? I know with that ? is this bamma ss 40 year old ? I work wit....
    It's ironic how nas makes all this hood music about the struggle and ? , but hood ? don't wanna hear that ? .
    Matta fact they will probably rob your ass for bumping that on the rip...
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    >fell of the map
    >featured on C4
    >? on the album with one verse

Y'all ? ain't even trying no mo, huh?
    Also lol @ y'ally ? trying to ignore dude because he has 1 post even though his claim is true.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Watch The Throne has better party songs, good time songs, and simple songs.

Distant Relatives has more cohesion and subject matter that was well thought out. It was more descriptive.

I like stuff from both albums. I think Nas and Damien fit together better as a group.