"Michael Vick is not a good role model for kids"- Says an AFC QB

Options
Mumo X
Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Who yall think said that dumb ? ?? Brady,Manning,Rivers,Orton,Tebow,Flacco,Cassel,Schaub,McCoy??????

Wuz jus readin the espn confidential magazine article where bout 44 NFL players wuz interviewed bout Vick....

The Mag's Confidential team interviewed 44 NFL players about Michael Vick, promising anonymity in exchange for candor. Our first question: Do you like Vick? The response: a unanimous yes, the first 100 percent answer we've ever received. Says one player: "I love that he's turned everything into a positive." But not every question was answered with such clarity.

HOW MANY GAMES WILL THE EAGLES WIN?
Vick's colleagues like Philly's odds. The average was 10.4 wins in 2011 -- and that was before the Eagles' free agent spending spree. Many cited Vick and the offense, but a surprising number of respondents went out of their way to mention the Eagles' D. "They'll score points and will probably finish 11-5," a Pro Bowl cornerback says. "But that defense is going to be better than expected. Asante Samuel might be the best player on the team, period."

BIGGEST AREA FOR VICK TO IMPROVE?
Seven players said Vick has no weakness; seven more picked his pocket-passing ability as most improvable. But the top choice, with 21.6 percent of the vote, was that Vick should practice sliding. "The only bad thing you can say about how he plays is that he has to avoid big hits," says a linebacker who's tackled Vick. "Once in a while he stays on his feet too long when it's clear he should have gotten down."

IF VICK HAD APPEARED ON THE COVER OF MADDEN NFL 12, WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN GOOD OR BAD FOR THE NFL?

The league avoided some heat when fans chose Peyton Hillis over Vick for the Madden cover. "That would have been bad," says one AFC QB. "He's not a role model for kids." But most players (76.7 percent) voted "good," saying it would have shown that redemption is alive and well for troubled players. One player had a more bottom-line approach: "Vick would have sold more copies."

AT ONE POINT, VICK SPENT ABOUT $30,000 A MONTH TO SUPPORT FRIENDS AND FAMILY. IS THAT COMMON AMONG NFL PLAYERS?
The short answer is yes (59.1 percent). "A lot of us have people who helped us get to where we are today, so it's no big deal," says one grateful Pro Bowler.

HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU LEND PEOPLE EVERY YEAR?
Average amount: $17,964

WHAT PERCENTAGE WAS PAID BACK?

Players put that number at 10.6 percent, with many saying they've learned that loved ones have a loose definition of a loan. "I used to keep track of all the money I handed out to friends and family," says a veteran AFC safety. "Now I just assume it's not going to be repaid."

GRADE ROGER GOODELL, A+ TO F, ON HOW HE'S HANDLED THE VICK SITUATION.
There weren't a lot of A's (five) or F's (four). The average grade: B-. "I think he did the best he could," says an AFC quarterback, who assigned a B+. "The whole situation was difficult." Another player, an NFC wideout, went with a C. "They made an example of him," he says. "If that had happened with Brett Favre, would the punishment have been the same? I don't think so."

WAS VICK'S 18-MONTH PRISON STAY JUST RIGHT, TOO LONG OR NOT LONG ENOUGH? The vast majority (58.1 percent)
thought Vick was treated unfairly. Five players even pointed to a recent case as supporting evidence: "Look at what happened with Casey Anthony," says a Pro Bowl running back. "I feel like Mike went to prison because he made PETA mad, while other people get away with worse stuff. It's ridiculous."

IF VICK WERE WHITE, WOULD PUBLIC PERCEPTION BE THE SAME, WORSE OR BETTER?
A large number of voters (42.9 percent) felt skin color didn't matter. But an even larger number (57.1 percent) thought it mattered a great deal. "The public's tendency is to want to put black people back where they came from," says an All-Pro DB. "And it was probably a little more so because it was a black QB."

DOES THE NFL HAVE TOO MUCH CONTROL OVER PLAYERS' LIVES?
Almost half (47.7 percent) admit to feeling Big Brothered. "If your bosses can make you ? in a cup anytime they want, that's controlling," says a wideout. The other 52.3 percent were fine with rules, regulations and ? cups. "I get paid enough that they can tell me what to do," says one defender. "That doesn't mean I'll do it. It just means I won't complain."

TRUE / FALSE: DOGFIGHTING IS A BIGGER ISSUE FOR THE NFL THAN PEOPLE REALIZE.
Some players (7.1 percent, to be exact) answered "true." But 92.9 percent said they were as stunned as the rest of the world when Vick was busted -- including one former teammate, who calls himself a friend. "I'd never heard of a football player being involved with dogs like that," he says. "I still have a hard time believing Mike was doing it."

Real talk , im happy we hav Ndamukong Suh in the league......id love it if he would end all these white republican QBs career like how the GOAT LT did to Joe Theissman

Comments

• MissLeading
    MissLeading Members Posts: 3,316 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    What he did was not the actions of a good role model but how he learned from his mistake, came back, triumphed and didnt allow that mistake to ruin his life are the actions of a good role model.

So I would say Michael Vick now is a good role model.

Some people seem to think one bad action should sully that person for the rest of their life. ? forbid they ever do something wrong.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Mumo X
    edited August 2011
    Options

Flacco, Matty lies,Romo and all them white QBs be shook lol
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    vick is your favorite players favorite player
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    first off,nobody buys madden for who's on the cover.
    second,he did NOT go to jail for making peta mad.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    He isn't. unless you are in the .0001% of the population that has a superior ability, chances are if you are a felon, you aren't going to come on top. You'll struggle to find work, you'll hurt for money, you'll be in debt...the list goes on. There is nothing glamorous about that. Mike Vick is an exception to the rule and for kids to think they can all be an exception will be sadly mistaken. If anything, some kid might think that since Vick bounced back, then they can act up, get caught, go to jail, then expect to live a good life. No. Vick might be a good story, but it doesn't mean it's one that people should follow or one that people should expect the same results from if they find themselves in a similar situation
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Wasn't Brady. Didn't the Golden Boy already say that he respected Vick?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    He isn't. unless you are in the .0001% of the population that has a superior ability, chances are if you are a felon, you aren't going to come on top. You'll struggle to find work, you'll hurt for money, you'll be in debt...the list goes on. There is nothing glamorous about that. Mike Vick is an exception to the rule and for kids to think they can all be an exception will be sadly mistaken. If anything, some kid might think that since Vick bounced back, then they can act up, get caught, go to jail, then expect to live a good life. No. Vick might be a good story, but it doesn't mean it's one that people should follow or one that people should expect the same results from if they find themselves in a similar situation

I see what you're trying to say. It's true that his remption isn't exactly something that should be peddled as a path that anyone can follow. That said it's not like redemption is impossible for normal people. It's also not like it is impossible for someone going down the wrong path to turn around and correct himself. The fact of the matter he is a good role model if for no other reason than because he's a counterbalance to a lot of these other athletes. Kids see them getting in trouble over and over again with no change. Whereas with Vick he took the biggest fall out of any of them but he's climbed back up not only due to his talent but due to an actual change in himself as a person.

That's one thing you're not giving him credit for. Yeah, his skill and performance are a large part of why he's back in the spotlight, but the reason why a lot of the people who were killing him before are lightening up is because he says and does all the right things. He's humble. He works hard. He gives back to the community. He plays the role of a good family man. That's everything you'd want to see from a "role model," and everything he wasn't doing before.
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I see what you're trying to say. It's true that his remption isn't exactly something that should be peddled as a path that anyone can follow. That said it's not like redemption is impossible for normal people. It's also not like it is impossible for someone going down the wrong path to turn around and correct himself. The fact of the matter he is a good role model if for no other reason than because he's a counterbalance to a lot of these other athletes. Kids see them getting in trouble over and over again with no change. Whereas with Vick he took the biggest fall out of any of them but he's climbed back up not only due to his talent but due to an actual change in himself as a person.

That's one thing you're not giving him credit for. Yeah, his skill and performance are a large part of why he's back in the spotlight, but the reason why a lot of the people who were killing him before are lightening up is because he says and does all the right things. He's humble. He works hard. He gives back to the community. He plays the role of a good family man. That's everything you'd want to see from a "role model," and everything he wasn't doing before.

I can respect the whole 'changing your lifestyle and approach to life" angle.

The problem that I see is that too many people will think they too can be a ? up, maybe go to jail, and then still have opportunities for them when they get out.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You obviously dont want to make some of the same mistakes he has made but.. His story of redemption and perseverance is admirable. and can be used as a modelas far as not making certain mistakes.. and if you do make those mistakes you can come back from them. within reason of course

There are a hell of a lot more people looked upto as role models .. or even heroes and have done far worse.

Parents should be the role models.. someone you can touch and lean on if they arent upto that task should be looking to the athletes/singers/entertainers as such..

with that said they shouldnt be ? ups because people do look to them whether they want to believe it or not
  • Mumo X
    edited August 2011
    Options

lol! You hav that republican racist fuckd up mentality. Vick wuz treated unfairly for killin dogs yet a white man can murder a black male and get away wit it easily. I seriously support what Vick did cuz dogs wuz used in slavery days to harm black people and chase runaway slaves. Vick is back on top and all thats left is for him to win us that superbowl
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mumo X wrote: »
    lol! You hav that republican racist fuckd up mentality. Vick wuz treated unfairly for killin dogs yet a white man can murder a black male and get away wit it easily. I seriously support what Vick did cuz dogs wuz used in slavery days to harm black people and chase runaway slaves. Vick is back on top and all thats left is for him to win us that superbowl

Or Leonard Little can ? a white woman, get a slap on the wrist, and be right back playing in the NFL. Or Ray Lewis can be directly involved with the murder of another person and can come on tv and say he's a new man and all that and he is put on a pedestal. This shut don't happen to regular
    People
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Had to be the Holy Tebow..
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Maybe not for kids, but he's an excellent role model for those looking to overcome past mistakes and turn their lives around.
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    yall know big ben said it
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

lol what?..........
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

Flacco, Matty lies,Romo and all them white QBs be shook lol

Romos mexican
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Or Leonard Little can ? a white woman, get a slap on the wrist, and be right back playing in the NFL. Or Ray Lewis can be directly involved with the murder of another person and can come on tv and say he's a new man and all that and he is put on a pedestal. This shut don't happen to regular
    People

ether......
  • FlyFreeCt
    FlyFreeCt Members Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It was some ? like Big Ben or Kyle Orton that said that ? ? ..anonymous ass ? make me sick to my stomach.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    why is mumo x so slow?
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    What he did was not the actions of a good role model but how he learned from his mistake, came back, triumphed and didnt allow that mistake to ruin his life are the actions of a good role model.

So I would say Michael Vick now is a good role model.

Some people seem to think one bad action should sully that person for the rest of their life. ? forbid they ever do something wrong.
    i did not know you followed football? You ain't one of them MD band wagon Steeler fans are you?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Either orton or rivers. Why Rivers all of a sudden look like a racist to me?
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    People

You know better matt-
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Whoever said this could have attached their name to the statement.

Grown ass man making anonymous statements. Don't say it at all if you don't want the reaction that comes with it.

Vick is a role model and his personal redemption story is admirable.

Besides, there are world leaders and US Presidents who've done worse.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I can picture Tim Tebow sayin that ? . Either him or Matt Schaub.