Playlist: Nominate 10 tracks for The Greatest Underground Hip Hop Tracks of All Time

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Essence
Simple concept, what are your top 5 Greatest Independent Hip Hop tracks of all time?

We'll all drop our top 10 favourite underground tracks of all time and then we'll have a thread to vote from the choices that follow…

Top 20 can make the playlist…

Rules:

Artists must be Independent/Underground and can't be a full blown mainstream rapper (your post will be deleted).
Song must have been released on an Independent/Underground label.
Artists such as Little Brother who have had a spell on a Major CAN still make the list, but a song from their album at the time they were signed to a Major cannot be added (In LB's Case, The Minstrel Show).

Let's get it going!!!

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm..

Zion I - Birds Eye View

Tonedeff - Porcelain

Blackstar - RE: Definition

Decompoze - Indy 500

Atmosphere - Little Man.

If you ask me this question in 5 minutes it will probably be a completely different list lol. top 5 is impossible i need a top 100 or something.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Mmmmmmmm..

Zion I - Birds Eye View

Tonedeff - Porcelain

Blackstar - RE: Definition

Decompoze - Indy 500

Atmosphere - Little Man.

If you ask me this question in 5 minutes it will probably be a completely different list lol. top 5 is impossible i need a top 100 or something.

I'll increase it to 10 :tu

Great choices, Porcelain is amazing and I don't think Tone has really touched that level of genius since… I can't wait for Chico & The Man (even though it's nigh on Detox status in terms of coming). Birds Eye View is ? ' genius, the undergrounds answer to Common's I Used to Love H.E.R. That Indy 500 track is Binary Star Feat. Decompoze right?? It's from MOTU… interesting pick, it's not my favourite from that album :tu Blackstar should feature quite well in this thread… Atmosphere's track is dope :tu I was thinking of dropping Yesterday in my top 5, 'cos I can relate to it, but I don't know yet if that'll be in my top 10!!
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    good place to drop this video

Name 9 other independent/underground hip hop tracks that you love if you can :tu No YouTube's necessary…
  • Lou Cypher
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ok my other 5. (at this second)

Blu and Exile - Dancing In The Rain

Mf Doom - Doomsday! (Love the sample)

Aesop Rock - Daylight

Slum Village - You Know what Love is

Chino XL - It's All Bad
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Name 9 other independent/underground hip hop tracks that you love if you can :tu No YouTube's necessary…

ok i will try but tell me that song and video aint crazy....joe is a beast
  • Lou Cypher
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Great Budden Song!
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    1. Atmosphere - Between the Lines
    2. Blueprint - 1988
    3. Planet Asia - Boil Makers
    4. Freeway & Jake One - Escalators
    5. Blu & Exile - Dancing in the Rain
    6. Cunninlynguists - The Gates
    7. Canibus - Poet Laureate II
    8. Atmosphere - Scalp
    9. Madvillian - Strange Way
    10. Fashawn - The Ecology
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ok my other 5. (at this second)

Blu and Exile - Dancing In The Rain

Mf Doom - Doomsday! (Love the sample)

Aesop Rock - Daylight

Slum Village - You Know what Love is

Chino XL - It's All Bad

Daylight, epic choice!! :tu Props on your choices.
    ok i will try but tell me that song and video aint crazy....joe is a beast

Props, stay on topic though… if you want to just discuss one Budden song make a thread in The Reason, he's signed to a Major.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Im doing 15. Promise ill stop after that.

Madvillain - Fancy Clown

Fashawn - Life as A Shorty

Ras Kass - Evil That Men Do (off Soul On Ice, im not sure if it was a major album or not)

Rakim - When I Be On The Mic

Edgar Allen Floe - Righteous Way To Go (one of the dopest 9th Beats EVER)
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    1. Atmosphere - Between the Lines
    2. Blueprint - 1988
    3. Planet Asia - Boil Makers
    4. Freeway & Jake One - Escalators
    5. Blu & Exile - Dancing in the Rain
    6. Cunninlynguists - The Gates
    7. Canibus - Poet Laureate II
    8. Atmosphere - Scalp
    9. Madvillian - Strange Way
    10. Fashawn - The Ecology

@ Bolded. Nice picks Stupot :tu
    Im doing 15. Promise ill stop after that.

Madvillain - Fancy Clown

Fashawn - Life as A Shorty

Ras Kass - Evil That Men Do (off Soul On Ice, im not sure if it was a major album or not)

Rakim - When I Be On The Mic

Edgar Allen Floe - Righteous Way To Go (one of the dopest 9th Beats EVER)

Great additions, When I Be On The Mic is easily the best track on The Master.
  • stupot0607
    edited August 2011
    Options
    WoW WoW WoW

Rakim - The Master was a independant release???? i thought that was on a major??
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    WoW WoW WoW

Rakim - The Master was a independant release???? i thought that was on a major??

You're right, I'll need to research all the drops before I drop the list of officially nominated tracks lol. It was on Universal Records, I own it and bought it in a store, that should have been the sign that it was on a Major lol.
  • stupot0607
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You're right, I'll need to research all the drops before I drop the list of officially nominated tracks lol. It was on Universal Records, I own it and bought it in a store, that should have been the sign that it was on a Major lol.

Haha im still technically lending it off my oldest brother who doesnt really like hip hop. but the master is his favorite rap album ever.....

He still trys to tell me even though he lacks alot of basic hip hop knowledge...
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Haha im still technically lending it off my oldest brother who doesnt really like hip hop. but the master is his favorite rap album ever.....

He still trys to tell me even though he lacks alot of basic hip hop knowledge...

Haha at least he's on something… I can't say it rates that highly in my list, but he's definitely dope!! Saw him live as well and loved the show… he's gifted for sure. But I listened to The Master and When I be on the Mic was just a lot better than the other tracks, I did buy it a long time ago though and haven't played it in years…. what you think of it?
  • Lou Cypher
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Well i think you can still be on a major label and be underground. but i see what you guys mean, it wasnt an indie release for sure. The album is really Monotone to me and i dont like the production, but the flow and beat for when i be on the mic just blew me away. cant name another song on that album that i loved. few likes but no LOVES
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Well i think you can still be on a major label and be underground. but i see what you guys mean, it wasnt an indie release for sure. The album is really Monotone to me and i dont like the production, but the flow and beat for when i be on the mic just blew me away. cant name another song on that album that i loved. few likes but no LOVES

Yeah, I definitely agree, which is why the likes of The Roots and Rakim still have their place… it's arguable.

Same, When I Be on the Mic's production was just stupid good… it was 'old school fresh'. You pretty much summed that album up for me too.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    hmmmm im gonna list underground essentials as opposed to my favorite underground songs so this post will continuosly be edited as i have to think this out

-binary star-indy 500(may later change this pick to another song from that cd but i believe a track from masters of the universe has to be present)

-the grouch-breath

jedi mind tricks-extertions remix(not my fav song from off that cd but for some reason its the one i would choose this....my fav is blood runs cold i may switch the two out lol but violent by design is a certified underground classic)

jazz liberators ft asheru- i am hip hop

o.c-word....life(the song)

eyedea-paridise
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    hmmmm im gonna list underground essentials as opposed to my favorite underground songs so this post will continuosly be edited as i have to think this out

-binary star-indy 500(may later change this pick to another song from that cd but i believe a track from masters of the universe has to be present)

-the grouch-breath

jedi mind tricks-extertions remix(not my fav song from off that cd but for some reason its the one i would choose this....my fav is blood runs cold i may switch the two out lol but violent by design is a certified underground classic)

jazz liberators ft asheru- i am hip hop

o.c-word....life(the song)

Hope I didn't quote it too soon lol.

Man, Indy 500 is everybody's favourite from MoTU? Breath is definitely one of those refreshing independent hip hop tracks, it's so tough to pick them… I'm going to drop mine tomorrow, great to see the Jazz Lib'z on there though!! :tu
  • renagade410.
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hope I didn't quote it too soon lol.

Man, Indy 500 is everybody's favourite from MoTU? Breath is definitely one of those refreshing independent hip hop tracks, it's so tough to pick them… I'm going to drop mine tomorrow, great to see the Jazz Lib'z on there though!! :tu

lol im updating it as soon as i hear a song thats worthy im cleaning the house so i got the mp3 player on shuffle. Indy 500's subject takes it for me but honest expression might be my favorite on that cd. Thats really a toss up
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol im updating it as soon as i hear a song thats worthy im cleaning the house so i got the mp3 player on shuffle. Indy 500's subject takes it for me but honest expression might be my favorite on that cd. Thats really a toss up

That's a fair enough reason, I like that we've had a double post now; two people stating Indy 500 as one of their top 10 independent tracks, powerful.

Reality Check always took it for me though, I thought the wordplay and chemistry that they had on that track surpassed the rest of the albums tracks…
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Blu & Exile - The World Is
    Last Emperor - Secret Wars
    Asheru & Talib - Mood Swing
    Louis Logic - Factotum
    Da Bushbabees & Mos Def - Da Love Song
    Mos Def & Medina Green - Crosstown Beef
    Tommy Tee & Punchline & Wordsworth & Talib - Day by Day
    Danger Doom & Ghostface - The Mask
    Oh No ft. Dilla and Roc C - Move
    Jean Grae - Love Song
  • renagade410.
    edited August 2011
    Options
    That's a fair enough reason, I like that we've had a double post now; two people stating Indy 500 as one of their top 10 independent tracks, powerful.

Reality Check always took it for me though, I thought the wordplay and chemistry that they had on that track surpassed the rest of the albums tracks…

u know what i dont know why i said honest expression i meant reality check....thats prob my favorite on the cd but indy 500 is my 2nd favorite. I chose indy 500 because of the subject matter even tho reality check subject is equally important hence why i was contemplating switching it out. I'll flip a coin later to decide...thats literally the only way i could have a set answer lol
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Blu & Exile - The World Is
    Last Emperor - Secret Wars
    Asheru & Talib - Mood Swing
    Louis Logic - Factotum
    Da Bushbabees & Mos Def - Da Love Song
    Mos Def & Medina Green - Crosstown Beef
    Tommy Tee & Punchline & Wordsworth & Talib - Day by Day
    Danger Doom & Ghostface - The Mask
    Oh No ft. Dilla and Roc C - Move
    Jean Grae - Love Song

Nice picks ustreet :tu Dangerdoom track in particular :tu
    u know what i dont know why i said honest expression i meant reality check....thats prob my favorite on the cd but indy 500 is my 2nd favorite. I chose indy 500 because of the subject matter even tho reality check subject is equally important hence why i was contemplating switching it out. I'll flip a coin later to decide...thats literally the only way i could have a set answer lol

Hahaha that's a good breakdown, I need to listen to Indy 500 more if it's two peoples favourites… I always liked Caged Bird as my second and third favourites.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If we do a JMT song it has to be Saviorself or Uncommon Valor. best JMT songs EVER