What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

why was jay-z such a late bloomer?

KeepinItHundredKeepinItHundred Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Reason
all these other emcees were putting out classics in their early 20s, or teen years(mobb deep)

did jay just need to watch and learn to gain pointers?

Replies

• Lou_CypherLou_Cypher Make Reasonable Choices. H. E. Double Hockey SticksPosts: 52,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I think part of it was because his early years were always as a side kick kind of guy, Jaz was the Spotlight then he went and did his own thing i think.
  • deeroc22deeroc22 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    this thread is deep
  • salamerican1salamerican1 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I think part of it was because his early years were always as a side kick kind of guy, Jaz was the Spotlight then he went and did his own thing i think.

Lol back when jay-z rapped like "i diggedy done this i diggedy done that"
  • KeepinItHundredKeepinItHundred Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    wow, jigger man warriors dodged this crazy.
  • dabullsssdabullsss Posts: 853
    edited August 2011
    cuz he was busy taking intense notes on BIG's style so that he could mimic it and become the most successful rapper in history
  • thesynthesisthesynthesis Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    cuz biggy died.....and he took his style and position
  • MC The RapperMC The Rapper Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    his style had a lot to do with it
  • Jay PeeJay Pee Posts: 761
    edited August 2011
    Jay-Z the most overrated rapper of all time. Does this dude even have one close to a classic CD? Because the ones I heard were ehhhh...this dude is a biter he had a few good songs but thats it
  • thecomebacklegendthecomebacklegend Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    cause pac died and no 1 was around 2 diss his weak songs like pac did in the bomb first intro
  • 5th Letter5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    cause pac died and no 1 was around 2 diss his weak songs like pac did in the bomb first intro

This and if anyone disagrees they are a hater
    Fuck who's the baddest a persons status depends on salary
    That buck that bought that bottle could have struck the lotto
  • Valentinez A. KaiserValentinez A. Kaiser Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    his style had a lot to do with it

C/S...............
  • JokerzWyldJokerzWyld Fazer o que você gosta é liberdade. Gostar do que você faz é felicidade Chocolate CityPosts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Because Jay-Z is not an artist, he is an imitator. He has to wait for a trend to develop so he can follow it. He observes a formula and then he applies it. He sees who's hot in the game and he latches on to them for success.

Case & Point:

The criminal tales Jay-Z was spittin on Reasonable Doubt wasn't his lane previous to that album. "I Can't Get With That" nor "Da Graveyard" were anything like "D'Evils". It's not until you heard stuff like G Rap's "4, 5, 6", Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" etc, did you hear him follow suit. Nas did the same, however, What makes him different from so many others was that he was invited into it. He was on G Rap's album, as well as AZ's "Doe Or Die" on "Mo Money, Mo Murder, Mo Homocide" which began The Firm. Jay just jumped in like he was everybody else.

Diddy was dancin' around all dumb with bright videos and flashy gimmicks so Jay-Z made "Sunshine". Ruff Ryders came around and started deadin' that shiny suit shit and Jay-Z released "Money Cash Hoes" ft. DMX. When Hot Boys got play in 99, Jay invited Juvenile to do the hoot on "Snoopy Track". So on and so forth. To answer your question Jay-Z adapts to the times by emulating whatever is popular. He doesn't create anything. So it's not that he's a late bloomer, he just needs something popular to feed off of.
    "Our mistake, the mistake we Africans made, was to have forgotten that the enemy never withdraws sincerely. He never understands. He capitulates, but he does not become converted

Our mistake is to have believed that the enemy had lost his combativeness and his harmfulness" Frantz Fanon

31-drapetomania.jpg
    edited August 2011
    true story^^^^^^
  • rip.dillarip.dilla ... push up the fader... bust the meter... shake the tweeter Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Because Jay-Z is not an artist, he is an imitator. He has to wait for a trend to develop so he can follow it. He observes a formula and then he applies it. He sees who's hot in the game and he latches on to them for success.

Case & Point:

The criminal tales Jay-Z was spittin on Reasonable Doubt wasn't his lane previous to that album. "I Can't Get With That" nor "Da Graveyard" were anything like "D'Evils". It's not until you heard stuff like G Rap's "4, 5, 6", Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" etc, did you hear him follow suit. Nas did the same, however, What makes him different from so many others was that he was invited into it. He was on G Rap's album, as well as AZ's "Doe Or Die" on "Mo Money, Mo Murder, Mo Homocide" which began The Firm. Jay just jumped in like he was everybody else.

Diddy was dancin' around all dumb with bright videos and flashy gimmicks so Jay-Z made "Sunshine". Ruff Ryders came around and started deadin' that shiny suit shit and Jay-Z released "Money Cash Hoes" ft. DMX. When Hot Boys got play in 99, Jay invited Juvenile to do the hoot on "Snoopy Track". So on and so forth. To answer your question Jay-Z adapts to the times by emulating whatever is popular. He doesn't create anything. So it's not that he's a late bloomer, he just needs something popular to feed off of.

DEAD

Flatline
    ... always immediately go for my boobs ... She feelin me up like "are those your nipples?" I'm like "don't touch there. my money is there." So she's running my hips and thighs ...

Westie wrote: »
    Lol what is cunting?

Lol i like it. I am cunting.

edited August 2011
    50 cent was 27 when get rich or die tryin dropped

The game was 26 when the documentary dropped

Jay electronic is 34 and his album hasnt dropped

J cole is 26 and his album hasnt dropped

Kanye west was 26 when college dropout dropped

All were older or the exact same age as jigga when rd dropped

yeah, thats all fine and dandy. but not relevant here.
  • CainCain The audacity of you fuck niggas Cyttorax DimensionPosts: 44,542 Regulator
    edited August 2011

em was 26 when slim shady lp dropped

big pun was 27 when capitol punishment dropped

Well damn........there you go.
    I mod without feelings or remorse.

Just been through it all man
    Blood sweat and tears
    Niggaz is dead and shit
    What the fuck else can happen yo?
    I dont think much more son, word to mother yo
    We done seen it all, and been through it all yo
    Let y'all niggaz know right now
    Word to mother, for real, for real
    I aint ever goin back
    edited August 2011
    jay was never on the same level as an artist as big, pac and nas

he lucky biggy died
    edited August 2011
    not really, jay-z has been rapping since the early 90s.

and 2, i was talking about jay-z's peers, aka niggas who came up in the 90s. nas, big, pac, wu, mobb, outkast, ras kass, etc.
    is jay-z older than rakim who came out 9 years before him? lol
  • aneed123aneed123 Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    the honest truth is Pac was dissin him and fans werent gonna support. Biggies was still alive and Jay wasnt on that level. Jay was rappin fast with Jaz o and folks wernt feeling that flow outside of NY. Once Pac and Big died Hard Knock Life filled that void. He and DMX
  • harry knucklezharry knucklez Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011

I guess 30 is the new 20....
    2m4yw6c.png
  • Focal PointFocal Point Kushite descent... wandering child from Meru of Old TrentonPosts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    because of whatever reason anybody can think of
  • FyHunnitFyHunnit I'm Mad Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011

Close thread ......................
  • SunZoo_aka_LCSunZoo_aka_LC Posts: 267
    edited August 2011
    jay was doin real street ish while these cats was fantasizing on wax about it... how u think he laid the foundation for the roc? street money.. none of that sellout label a/r directed ish....
  • thecomebacklegendthecomebacklegend Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    jay was doin real street ish .

lol eating cookies for 60 hrs is "real street ish"?
  • NothingButTheTruthNothingButTheTruth stew Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011

He was obviously referring to rappers who were Jay's peers.
    aneed123 wrote: »
    the honest truth is Pac was dissin him and fans werent gonna support. Biggies was still alive and Jay wasnt on that level. Jay was rappin fast with Jaz o and folks wernt feeling that flow outside of NY. Once Pac and Big died Hard Knock Life filled that void. He and DMX

This...........