If You Could Cop One Album on the 27th September, 2011, Which One Would it be?

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Essence
Momentous Moments

Earlier this year, on the 22nd March, 2011, hip hop was blessed with a line up of four great musicians/groups (Pharoahe Monch, CunninLynguists, Big K.R.I.T as well as Zion I & the Grouch), all dropping their albums for the momentous day. It was arguable that all delivered despite some calling the most hyped release of that day, a disappointment (W.A.R). Despite this, posters thought that this was a huge day for the underground and most thought that it simply 'couldn't get better'.

Since, six months have past and surprisingly, before we reach the end of what has been another successful year for underground hip hop, we are presented with an even better dish of music than we tasted back in March. The 27th September looks to be the day for Independent and Underground hip hop, the day that the heavens will open and pour down with gifted artists and music for us all to enjoy.

That said, which one would you cop if you could only buy one of the seven great releases set to drop on the 27th? For a run down, see below and don't forget to vote and post the reasons for your choice!

Phonte - Charity Starts at Home

charity-starts-at-home-artwork.jpg

Following a long hiatus from rap, the Foreign Exchange/Little Brother spitter returns for his first solo album, entitled Charity Starts At Home. It seems fitting to start with this album, as some would suggest that it's likely to run out as favourite for the day but also because it's been such a long time since 9th Wonder and Phonte where on the same page. Some would say that Phonte has always suited 9th's production and it looks like those people are set for a treat, with 9th expected to handle most of the production. The 12 track release has no mentions of features (yet!), leaving us all to Wonder… nonetheless, what is expected is for Tiggalo to drop another gem on 'em! I for one, can't wait for this.

9th Wonder - The Wonder Years

vK3x8.jpg

Whilst 'Te readies Charity Starts at Home, old best friend 9th Wonder prepares a product with more features than a new Apple product. A long time coming, The Wonder Years features Raekwon who will also be featured on Evidence's album (see below), Phonte, Big K.R.I.T, Murs, Talib Kweli, David Banner, Erykah Badu, Kendrick Lamar, Warren G, Mac Miller and many of his Jamla artists. A hefty list for a hefty producer who has produced for Jay-Z, Destiny's Child, Masta Ace, Jean Grae, Sean Price, Memphis Bleek, Akrobatik, Murs, Skyzoo, Buckshot and the list goes on. Some say 9th's production has fallen off in recent years, but his production on Phonte's recent single would state otherwise. This one should be interesting, watch this space.

Evidence - Cats & Dogs

20110706-EVIDENCE.jpg

Evidence's Cats and Dogs is set for release after a long delayed release date. Evidence has managed to coax Raekwon, Prodigy, Aloe Blacc and Roc Marciano onto his first Rhymesayers release. The follow up to the much beloved "The Weatherman LP', will also feature production from The Alchemist and DJ Premier despite Evidence unsurprisingly producing some of the tracks too, given his Grammy Award Winning production. This one has cats hyped, pun intended and will be available on the 27th!

J. Live - S.P.T.A. (Said Person of That Ability)

j-live-spta-artwork-tracklist.jpg

J-Live follows up his 2008, Then What Happened? with S.P.T.A, an album which features production from himself as well as RJD2, Nicolay of Foreign Exchange, The Audible Doctor, Illastrate, Korede, Floyd The Locsmif, Marco Polo and Diamond D. The Nicolay produced track should be an interesting one as it's a while since I personally have heard a more hip hop induced track from him; which he's very capable of as his work with Kay showed. I'm looking forward to giving this one a listen!

Underground goes Commercial

Two other noteworthy releases that won't be covered in this thread, but will be added for those that are hyped about them more so, are underground turned Major label signed, Big K.R.I.T and the long awaited release from J. Cole.

Commerical

Not forgetting that G.O.O.D music's Pusha T is also set to release Fear Of ? Part 2: Let Us Pray.

If you could only have one of these seven releases, which one you coppin' and why did you select that release in particular?

Don't forget to vote!

Comments

• twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm going with Big K.R.I.T. if I had too, lol.

I'm getting all of these though in reality.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm going with Big K.R.I.T. if I had too, lol.

I'm getting all of these though in reality.

It's a great list, don't forget to vote, just added the poll!!!

I voted for 'Te, he's probably up there with my favourite artists, quite easily. I can't wait for Charity Starts at Home… what a day for hip hop though!
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    9th Wonder definitly looks tempting, but ive been off his beats for a little while....

Sticking with Cats & Dogs Tho....
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    9th Wonder definitly looks tempting, but ive been off his beats for a little while....

Sticking with Cats & Dogs Tho....

9th's production for Phonte's single was really nice though, if that's an example of what we're getting on the 27th from both 'Te's and his releases, then musically, he could change everyone's mind.

It's great that we're all looking forward to different releases, the production on Evidence's album should be top notch considering the producers he's got on there, as well as himself.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Dammit this is hard, lol!!

Well the first one I'm copping is Charity Starts at Home, then S.P.T.A., then Wonder Years
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    Dammit this is hard, lol!!

Well the first one I'm copping is Charity Starts at Home, then S.P.T.A., then Wonder Years

Lol. I'm with you, but I'll be getting The Wonder Years before I look at S.P.T.A. In fact, S.P.T.A's probably in 4th behind Cats and Dogs... K.R.I.T's release is close to that as well though!
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'll give KRIT the slight edge over Evidence. Will be checking out most of those releases tho. KRIT's last two have just been stellar, and he gave those away for free, making me think he left the supreme fire for his retail release. Ev is highly anticipated as well. ? is gonna be a great day for Hip Hop music.
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Lol. I'm with you, but I'll be getting The Wonder Years before I look at S.P.T.A. In fact, S.P.T.A's probably in 4th behind Cats and Dogs... K.R.I.T's release is close to that as well though!

Yea man thats tough!! I just heard "You" produced by Premier and I'm already psyched for even that, J-Live's The Live Identity got me psyched for his album!! So there's plenty going around this September!
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'll give KRIT the slight edge over Evidence. Will be checking out most of those releases tho. KRIT's last two have just been stellar, and he gave those away for free, making me think he left the supreme fire for his retail release. Ev is highly anticipated as well. ? is gonna be a great day for Hip Hop music.

That's what I was thinking. I am highly anticipating Krit's retail release because of the fact that now we're paying for it, he's definitely gonna make it worth the price.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cole. Then KRIT. For some reason, you ain't got my 3rd choice even listed. Then again, I think I might be the only Yelawolf fan on the IC. Lol.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    one album????? that must be the most difficlut list to chose from ever. if it was one the id say that Phonte joint. i jus really want to hear him spit. hes a good singer but i wanna hear some spits. but in reality im buying all those albums. i really wanna hear what that Evedence album is gonna sound like. Dilated needs to drop a new album as well
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i'd have to go with Cole, with Krit being a very close second..just feel Cole World is about to be an amazing album..good thing i don't have to cop just one lol..
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Damn I didn't know Evidence won a grammy. Dilated Peoples is my ? ...
  • walwyn
    walwyn Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Cole. Then KRIT. For some reason, you ain't got my 3rd choice even listed. Then again, I think I might be the only Yelawolf fan on the IC. Lol.

You not the only Yela fan I'm looking forward to that one. But off of this list, I would buy Phonte ? first, then Cole World the next week lol
  • EmbezzelJayR
    EmbezzelJayR Members Posts: 1,052
    edited September 2011
    Options
    big krit LIVE FROM THE UNDERGROUND !
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I voted J Live.

I smoked L's with him ad Asheru a couple years ago at a house party. Great underrated musician.

Honorable mention to Phonte. Is he singing or rapping on this project? Cuz that could bump him up.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I would cop phonte. Hes really the only one i heard a track from. J Live is gonna be dope too i got into his music recently
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    krit only thing i'm buying in order after that i would say

Pusha T - Fear Of ? Part 2: Let Us Pray
    J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story
    Phonte - Charity Starts at Home
    9th Wonder - The Wonder Years

big day for NC hip hop
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    J.Cole, and Phonte a close 2nd
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Te if I had to only pick up one (but I'm getting all including Yelawolf!)

S/N: How was W.A.R. a disappointment? It's my favourite album dropped this year!
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I voted J Live.

I smoked L's with him ad Asheru a couple years ago at a house party. Great underrated musician.

Honorable mention to Phonte. Is he singing or rapping on this project? Cuz that could bump him up.

Phonte is rappin, Has a single out with elzhi ? . by 9th
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cole..........
  • 6ft5
    6ft5 Confirm Email Posts: 2,127 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Te if I had to only pick up one (but I'm getting all including Yelawolf!)

S/N: How was W.A.R. a disappointment? It's my favourite album dropped this year!

Yea W.A.R. has been getting crazy play, as my friends are saying!!
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Phonte is rappin, Has a single out with elzhi ? . by 9th

Word

Phonte spits some of the realest raps outta anybody in the game.

The same props people give to Andre should go to Tigallo.