Jay Electronica - Pre-Act II [The Essentials] (2-Disc)

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Essence
This is a free mixtape of Jay Electronica to hold you over until he drops his Roc Nation debut....It's time for this man to fullfill his promise because since 2007, that's 5 years we been waiting for his album to drop. He have mad talent and his bless with an ill flow and clear speech, the Nomad from louisiana have some tracks on here that's been released through out th years. ENJOY!!!

The next ? MC. Most of you are already familiar with him; and have been anxiously awaiting the mythical Act II. This is a massive compilation of all of Jay Elect's best work, including features (with exclusive abridged versions). Hit the jump for all the details, tracklist and download link.

For those who don't know: Jay Electronica is the most recent Roc Nation signee, joining J. Cole on Jay-Z's new label. Best known for his single's Exhibit C and Exhibit A, many heads mistakingly think that he doesn't have much else out there. This 60 track compilation shall demonstrate otherwise. Jay first garnered attention from the underground with his masterful track, Act I: The Pledge - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, near the end of 2007. Looping samples from the movie of the same name, and using no drums and no bass, it is 4 verses laid over one continuous track with sound clips and intros. Lyrically, Act I is one of the greatest things I have EVER heard. I was blown away by my first listen, and have been a huge fan ever since.

While many people do not realize it, Jay has had a few other projects as well. Style Wars EP was his original release, all the way back in 2007, and in 2008 he also dropped the mix tape Attack of the Clones.

This compilation also includes many exclusive abridged (shortened) versions of different tracks, particularly those where Jay is featured on another artist's song. See below for the details.

EDITS: Some of these songs have been abridged (as noted in the tracklist). The very first track, Act I: The Pledge, is 6:26 seconds long and contains just the four verses of the original which is about 9 minutes normally, with the intros and sound clips. It is beautiful to listen to the four verses back to back without interruption, and by far my favorite way to listen to it. I also have taken the snippet release for Dear Moleskin and mixed it with a live version to get the best full verse track we can at this point. Songs where Jay is featured, such as Live It, The Day, Cool Relax, Walking, Love Czars, Posers, and Close Your Eyes have been cut to just Jay's verse and the chorus. And The Ghost of Christopher Wallace is a little over 2 minutes long now, with Diddy's pointless 4 minute rant completely cut out. A few other songs have been trimmed at the end to make it all fit!

TRACKLIST:

Disc 1: Run Time - 79:38 Minutes

01. Jay Electronica - Act I The Pledge [Eternal Sunshine, Rules, Voodoo Man, FYI] (Abridged)
02. Jay Electronica - Exhibit A
03. Jay Electronica - Jazzmatazz
04. Jay Electronica - Exhibit C
05. Jay Electronica - Swagger Jackson's Revenge
06. Jay Electronica - Renaissance Man
07. Jay Electronica - @FatBellyBella
08. Jay Electronica - Departure
09. Jay Electronica - The Announcement
10. Jay Electronica - The Day ft. Mos Def (Abridged)
11. Jay Electronica - So What You Sayin'
12. Jay Electronica - Victory Is in My Clutches
13. Jay Electronica - A Prayer for Michael Vick & T.I
14. Jay Electronica - My World (Nas Salute)
15. Jay Electronica - Shiny Suit Theory ft. Jay-Z
16. Jay Electronica - Dear Moleskine [Full Verse] (Snippet mixed with Live)
17. Jay Electronica - Cool Relax ft. Naledge (Abridged)
18. Jay Electronica - Extra Extra
19. Jay Electronica - ? And Drugs
20. Jay Electronica - The Ghost Of Christopher Wallace (Abridged)
21. Jay Electronica - Live It ft. Yelawolf (Abridged)
22. Jay Electronica - Attack of the Clones
23. Jay Electronica - I Feel Good
24. Jay Electronica - Suckas
25. Jay Electronica - A Million in the Morning
26. Jay Electronica - Dimethyltryptamine

Disc 2: Run Time - 79:50 Minutes

01. Jay Electronica - Exhibit B (Exhibit A Remix) ft. Mos Def
02. Jay Electronica - Posers ft. The New Royales (Abridged)
03. Jay Electronica - Abracadabra
04. Jay Electronica - 2 Step
05. Jay Electronica - Something to Hold on To
06. Jay Electronica - Untitled (Ruff Act II - Unreleased) ft. Muhammad Ali
07. Jay Electronica - Hagler Demo
08. Jay Electronica - Dealing
09. Jay Electronica - Who's Gonna Save My Soul ft. Gnarls Barkley
10. Jay Electronica - Prowler 2 ft. Ski Beatz, Jean Grae, Joell Ortiz & Mos Def
11. Jay Electronica - Annakin's Prayer
12. Jay Electronica - Retro Electro
13. Jay Electronica - Close Your Eyes ft. The Bullitts & Lucy Liu (Abridged)
14. Jay Electronica - Girlfriend
15. Jay Electronica - Hard To Get
16. Jay Electronica - Googly Eyes (Live)
17. Jay Electronica - Defcon 4
18. Jay Electronica - Just Begun ft J. Cole,Talib Kweli & Mos Def
19. Jay Electronica - Not Too Far From Nothing
20. Jay Electronica - Uzi Weighs a Ton
21. Jay Electronica - Love Czars II ft. Sa-Ra (Abridged - Verse Only)
22. Jay Electronica - Walking J. Period (Remix) ft Nneka (Abridged)
20. Jay Electronica - Uzi Weighs a Ton
21. Jay Electronica - Love Czars II ft. Sa-Ra (Abridged - Verse Only)
22. Jay Electronica - Walking (J. Period Remix) ft. Nneka (Abridged)
23. Jay Electronica - Higher (Abridged - Verse Only)
24. Jay Electronica - Prelude To A Freestyle (Rough Quality)
25. Jay Electronica - Be Easy
26. Jay Electronica - Colors (Verse)
27. Jay Electronica - Not a Disturbance
28. Jay Electronica - Spark 'Em Up
29. Jay Electronica - When the Levees Broke

The first track of Disc 1 is my abridged version of Act I: The Pledge. In case you'd like to hear the song in its entirety, I have included the full version, as well as each of the four parts individually as bonus tracks. Today I also found a previously unreleased feature, so I dropped that in the Bonus Tracks folder as well.

Bonus Tracks

Jay Electronica - Act I (The Pledge) [Un-Abridged]
Jay Electronica - Act I Part 1 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jay Electronica - Act I Part 2 - ...Because He Broke the Rules
Jay Electronica - Act I Part 3 - Voodoo Man
Jay Electronica - Act I Part 4 - FYI
Jay Electronica - Shucken' An Jivin' ft. Big Dame & Tone Treasure

Comments

• waterproof
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Jay Electronica - Pre-ACT II [The Essentials] : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1PJD1ZN9

Just down load the goods and about to give it some burn.

BUT ESSENCE HEADS, WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS ON JAY ELECTRONICA? Is he all hype, is he lazy?

Are you still waiting on his album or lost interest. How do you rank his skills
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Heard all that ? this ? needs new music and stop ? around.
  • ICame4Pussy
    ICame4Pussy Members Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

• waterproof
    edited September 2011
    Options

LOL well i only heard like a hand full of his ? from you tube and ect.....but some of this ? i havent heard.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Props for this, great mix to bump in the ride, I have pretty much everything he's ever dropped; definitely one of my favourite artists… his mic skills are up there… period.

He can craft a great song but what I like most about him is his creativity, which is obviously evident with his Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind track…

I always loved this fan video as well, which is for the Voodoo Man part of that track:

I believe he's near finished as well, I believe a DJ from the UK, might have been SEMTEX, got to hear his album as it was about 6 months ago, if not longer… he's been making appearances in London often as well as I believe he spends a lot of time there, most recently (from what I've heard) appearing alongside Black Star.

Can't wait for his album though, he really could take it anywhere.

Props on the thread :tu
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yeah I got this back in April. I like him, I hope he drops some heat soon.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

Same 'ol ... Same 'ol
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yeah I got this back in April. I like him, I hope he drops some heat soon.

C/S. I think it was first dropped on the KevinNottingham site...
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    This repackaging of the same stuff...is frustrating.
    Heard it all.......l or at least 90% of that stuff...
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited September 2011
    Options

A blog called RealHipHopHead put together this compilation.
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options

Yeah it was, that site is one of the best, period.

I think KN.com must have stolen it then as I'm pretty sure it was on there, I remember him giving props to another site for the mix, which must have been RealHipHopHead.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I go on that site regularly too. I recently downloaded the Pharoahe Monch compilation from them.
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Yeah it was, that site is one of the best, period.

I think KN.com must have stolen it then as I'm pretty sure it was on there, I remember him giving props to another site for the mix, which must have been RealHipHopHead.

Most probably. I just went on KN.com, I didn't know One Be Lo dropped a new album! It's called "L.A.B.O.R." Language Arts Based On Reality.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I go on that site regularly too. I recently downloaded the Pharoahe Monch compilation from them.

Most probably. I just went on KN.com, I didn't know One Be Lo dropped a new album! It's called "L.A.B.O.R." Language Arts Based On Reality.

Yeah, there's a thread about the album on the front page of The Essence, you need to read the threads more carefully LOL.

I haven't seen the Pharoahe Monch one, I'll check it out soon…
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited September 2011
    Options

Haven't checked out the Pharoahe Monch compilation, but he's also responsible for the Nas Lost Album series and Greatest Guest Features. Good stuff. Dude is actually serving a 16 month prison sentence for some weed. Crazy.
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Man good looking out on the mixtape but I got a ? load of this stuff already. Jay needs to drop the album or at least some newer material before people forget who the hell he is.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    All old ? , continues to kick can down the block. smh
  • The 3mcee
    edited September 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

LOL. I feel you on that. I was hoping for some new stuff also.
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited September 2011
    Options
    thanks for the drop. i have to admit i've been sleeping on dude.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

He'll deliver when he drops, I think he could deliver an album that completely wipes the floor with hip hop. Dude's a complete genius. Whatever he's doing, I'm sure he's working.
    Sep-00 wrote: »
    thanks for the drop. i have to admit i've been sleeping on dude.

Enjoy :tu Jay's been delivering for years now; it is weird that Act II hasn't dropped though... I remember going back and forth with a poster saying that he'd drop it soon, but the other poster was right, it's not even close lol
  • micfiendsbro
    micfiendsbro Members Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    Options
    fa real he needs to stop the bull shittin. i know hes supposed to be the mystery man & moves at his own pace but this is rediculous.
    now you see kendrick lamar running w/ the buzz that he used to have. i heard bun b say he heard the finished album like 1/2 yr ago.
    lets get it over with
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    fa real he needs to stop the bull shittin. i know hes supposed to be the mystery man & moves at his own pace but this is rediculous.
    now you see kendrick lamar running w/ the buzz that he used to have. i heard bun b say he heard the finished album like 1/2 yr ago.
    lets get it over with

Yeah, so did DJ Semtex in London and that might have been even longer than half a year ago; that said, once the product is here… I can imagine we'll just all put our hands up in awe… given the direction, extra time for song making, he should deliver a 4.5/5 album at the very least… he takes lyricism to a level of the past.
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Jay E is a beast, great lyricism but some of the subjects he talks on dont make sense to me. Thats the only thing I think he should work on. Seems incoherent at times, like he'll take one thing & find 101 things to relate them to that arent related and pseudo.

Aside from that tho he's ? amazing. Its interesting tho since being signed I haven't heard too much new material from him, I wonder what hes cookin over there.....

I can agree with you on the subject matter, but I think that's part of what I like about him… I don't listen to Kweli for a club track, just in the same sense that I don't listen to Jay E for something coherent and easily understandable. When someone broke down his rhymes on exhibit C; that was really impressive.

But yeah, I know where you're coming from, definitely and maybe being more coherent would lift his song making abilities, although I do love that I've listened to CunninLynguists 'The Gates' and I think the pre-lude track 'Never Know Why' countless times and I still couldn't break it down perfectly to someone… I get it, but I don't get it…. if that makes sense :/
  • The 3mcee
    edited September 2011
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Jay E is a beast, great lyricism but some of the subjects he talks on dont make sense to me. Thats the only thing I think he should work on. Seems incoherent at times, like he'll take one thing & find 101 things to relate them to that arent related and pseudo.

I love Jay Elec's music but this is the reason he isn't gonna do well commercially. I know a lot of folks don't care when there favorite emcee doesn't do well commercially as long as they put out the product you want to hear. I think it is important for the people to do well commercially so they can continue to usher in there music the way they want to the masses. Of course some folks if they get dropped from there label will go the indie route but a decent amount of folks just fall off completely.
  • Hip-Hop One
    Hip-Hop One Members Posts: 703 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm still waiting for a real full version of Dear Moleskine...I can wait another two years, I guess.

Thanks for this.
  • motempest
    motempest Members Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    Options
    In all fairness, I think whoever's handling his promotion needs just as much time to figure out a strategy where everybody wins with his debut as he does crafting the music. This isn't 1994 & he's definitely not your average flash in a pan artist. The formula Jay Z's been serving for years won't help either of them. There's alot riding on Jay Electronica and his "success" or rather acceptance. I mean ? , Dude's getting his first major record label deal in his mid 30's ...and with the strongest team in the game. If he "fails", the chance of a resurgence of that golden era, respect to the elements raw self-aware HipHop coming back into the mainstream is pretty much dead.

We all sit back as fans and are like, whatever, just give us something ? damn...but in reality, we all know that he NEEDS to wait until the time is right. Depending on how his situation is handled, he may very well be that dude to usher in a new energy that will inspire artists old and young...providing them with that feeling they need to keep believing and pushing the boundaries of this HipHop ? for many more years to come. I don't think i'm alone in feeling like JE is one of the only Rappers/Emcees to come along in the last...I dunno 12 years, that makes me remember why I love HipHop and leaves me questioning where it can still go and who it can still reach. That Rakim/Nas/Outkast change the game ? is something that's needed right now. Like, that underground/indy/headphone knock is cool and all, but it's not forcing people to think/ analyze there situation on another level. IMO, it's becoming just as disposable as that ? on the radio slowly but surely...and that's sad. But that's another story...

anyways...

Pressures on, but I think he's shown that he's spiritually and mentally capable of fulfilling the destiny he feels he's been put on this earth for. Dude isn't the messiah or anything, but whatever he believes or believes in...regardless of whether I coincide with those beliefs or not, I respect that he does believe in that purpose whole-heartedly and has the conviction and resolve to get it right, despite what the charts, his marketing team, Jay Z or some ? on the stoops opinion on the matter is. Dude is wise/experienced enough to avoid the pitfalls of the game, humble/well traveled enough to change his opinion/beliefs based on knowledge, strong enough to not follow anyone or anything but his spirit and artistic enough to translate that on wax in a creative/innovative way . That's enough to make me believe in dude...