Mariah Carey
Lauryn Hill
Mya
Monica
Brandy
Mary J. Blige
Toni Braxton
Whitney Houston

Rank them 1-10 based on their impact in the 90's.

Comments

• booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lauryn Hill (sung better than 95% of all singers, rapped better than 95% of all rappers)
    Mariah Carey (early Mariah singing ballads)
    Toni Braxton (sexy, sexy, sexy. i still love her stuff)
    Aaliyah (RIP)
    Whitney Houston (stronger in the 80's but still good up to about 95 drugs took her down)
    Janet Jackson (once again strongest in the 80's but still good up to the Velvet Rope)
    Mary J Blige (she keeps SOUL singing alive the passion in her voice is so real)
    Monica (came out like 13 singing like a grown woman)
    Chante Moore (underrated big time)
    Mya (thin voice but cute and great performer)
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    basically....

Whitney H./Mariah C >>> Janet/Toni Braxton

Mary J >>> Lauryn Hill >>> Faith Evans

Aaliyah >>> Brandy/Monica

why the hell is Mya doin here......lmao.
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Toni Braxton is underappreciated for what she did in the 90s. She was damn near Icon status. Toni Braxton and Secrets were both critically acclaimed albums. Won MULTIPLE Grammys. and in my eyes was a Grammy darling just as much as Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey.

She bought back that sexy-sultry-soulful music that missing in the ealry-mid 90s. her music was very quiet storm like and was reminisint of Anita Baker and alot of those 80 power-ballad singers like Stephanie Mills and Phyliss Hyman.

i always wished she stayed consistant after the Heat album in 99/00.

a few years ago i think se coulda made her comeback album similar to Mariah and Mary have in 2005/06.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Mary J. Blige - she remained consistent through whole decade and made one of the most personal and varied discographies among them all
    Lauryn Hill - Miseducation
    Mariah Carey - not a fan, but she keeps grinding and 90's brought her best album to date - Butterfly
    Aaliyah - incredible charisma and she had great material to work with
    Whitney Houston
    Toni Braxton
    Faith Evans - even though she was in shadow of other household names, the woman can sung
    Monica
    Brandy
    Mya
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Antwuan89 wrote: »
    In No Order:

Aaliyah
    Faith Evans
    Mariah Carey
    Lauryn Hill
    Mya
    Monica
    Brandy
    Mary J. Blige
    Toni Braxton
    Whitney Houston

1. WHITNEY: Yeah she fell off, smoked that rock, married Bobby etc. say what you want, but there will NEVER be a voice like that in our lifetime. She was America's princess, arguably has the greatest legacy in that list, if not one of the greatest legacies in the history of pop/soul music. Everytime you watch American Idol, or whatever they still sing her songs, her songs are always included on major music history lists (greatest love songs off all time etc), cd collections etc. Broke the color barrier for black females in the 80's (kinda like what MJ did for men and black musicians overall). Not to mention her influence was HUGE and still is. Also the first female artist to have an album debut at #1 on the billboard charts. Before her it was unheard of for a girl to to have the #1 album in the country in her first week especially in the Michale Jackson, Prince etc era and for a black woman. If you weren't around to hear her sing when she had a voice, sucks for you. Every-time there was a big event going on and they needed someone to sing (Superbowl, Olympics, The Troops coming home, presidential events etc.) Who did they call??? Exactly. I mean, c'mon homegirl sold 17 mill off a soundtrack alone. Who does that!?!??! Putting Whitney anything below #2 is a straight disrespect. Word up. My favorite Whitney song is Didn't We Almost Have It All.

2. MARY J BLIGE: Still standing since '92 and she is probably the most prominent one that list today. She has done it all, hiphop, r&b, gospel, pop, rock, has the Grammys classic albums for days, set trends and is has the title of queen of hip-hop soul. She is probably the most respected female artist in the last 25 years. My favorite MJB song is Everything.

3. MARIAH CAREY: Records, hits, sells, classics etc for days, and she destroyed the 90's. Her new ? has been trash, but you can't deny what she did in the past. Plus she is still standing and relevant. My favorite Mariah song is Love Takes Time.

4. LAURYN HILL: Yes she has one album..... but a very big one. A masterpiece. If she kept on going, only ? knows what she would have been. Unfortunately she has gone crazy and is reduced to repeating the same 5-6 songs at her shows. My favorite Lauryn song is Ex-Factor.

5. Aaliyah: Was like a younger Janet in a way. Has her own style did her thing and everyone liked her. She may have had a paper-thin voice compared to the others, but she knew how to work with it and was like the prince of hip-hop soul. The way Janet had Jam and Lewis, Aaliyah with Timbaland and Missy were a force to be reckoned with. My favorite Aaliyah song is Are You That Somebody.

6. MONICA: She has done a lot for her age and she is still her. I think I read that she has a #1 R&B hit in each decade (90, 00's, and 10's.). Many big hit singles and she for the most part stays true to her self. My favorite Monica song is Before You Walk Outta My Life.

7. TONI BRAXTON: Her first album is classic, the Secrets album is solid, everything else she has is forgettable. (Yes including the Heat album). She tried to come back last year with some bootlegged "Single Ladies" like track and her album went styrofoam. She unfortunately doesn't know how to stay relevant. After "Un-break My Heart", her career went in a downward spiral. My favorite Toni song is Another Sad love Song.

8. FAITH EVANS: She was somewhat consistent until she has her personal problems and the label problems as well. Faith is kinda like a "Mary J Blige lite". She has a good collection of singles and a decent voice/career. My favorite Faith song is Soon As I Get Home.

9. BRANDY: Not consistent and always disappears. Though she has other stuff like Moesha going on while also making music, she did her thing in the 2nd half of the 90's. Though her quality of music is decent its just not up to par compared to the other mention. Again like Faith Evans, she has some good singles. My favorite Brandy song is Top Of The World.

10. MYA: Not to disrespect her but she does not belong in this list. She is just not up to par with the others in terms of career, quality, longevity, success etc so I wont really comment on her. I will say though appearance wise she is in the top 3. lol My fav Mya song is Best Of Me (Remix).
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited September 2011
    Options
    1. Whitney Houston 2. Mariah Carey 3. Toni Braxton 4. Brandy 5. Mary J. The rest all the same to me.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    In No Order:

Aaliyah
    Faith Evans
    Mariah Carey
    Lauryn Hill
    Mya
    Monica
    Brandy
    Mary J. Blige
    Toni Braxton
    Whitney Houston

10. Faith Evans
    9. Mya
    8. Toni Braxton
    7. Monica
    6.Whitney Houston
    5. Brandy
    4. Aaliyah
    3. Lauryn Hill
    2. Mary J.Blige
    1. Mariah Carey
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    mrjun18 wrote: »
    1. WHITNEY: Yeah she fell off, smoked that rock, married Bobby etc. say what you want, but there will NEVER be a voice like that in our lifetime. She was America's princess, arguably has the greatest legacy in that list, if not one of the greatest legacies in the history of pop/soul music. Everytime you watch American Idol, or whatever they still sing her songs, her songs are always included on major music history lists (greatest love songs off all time etc), cd collections etc. Broke the color barrier for black females in the 80's (kinda like what MJ did for men and black musicians overall). Not to mention her influence was HUGE and still is. Also the first female artist to have an album debut at #1 on the billboard charts. Before her it was unheard of for a girl to to have the #1 album in the country in her first week especially in the Michale Jackson, Prince etc era and for a black woman. If you weren't around to hear her sing when she had a voice, sucks for you. Every-time there was a big event going on and they needed someone to sing (Superbowl, Olympics, The Troops coming home, presidential events etc.) Who did they call??? Exactly. I mean, c'mon homegirl sold 17 mill off a soundtrack alone. Who does that!?!??! Putting Whitney anything below #2 is a straight disrespect. Word up. My favorite Whitney song is Didn't We Almost Have It All.

2. MARY J BLIGE: Still standing since '92 and she is probably the most prominent one that list today. She has done it all, hiphop, r&b, gospel, pop, rock, has the Grammys classic albums for days, set trends and is has the title of queen of hip-hop soul. She is probably the most respected female artist in the last 25 years. My favorite MJB song is Everything.

3. MARIAH CAREY: Records, hits, sells, classics etc for days, and she destroyed the 90's. Her new ? has been trash, but you can't deny what she did in the past. Plus she is still standing and relevant. My favorite Mariah song is Love Takes Time.

4. LAURYN HILL: Yes she has one album..... but a very big one. A masterpiece. If she kept on going, only ? knows what she would have been. Unfortunately she has gone crazy and is reduced to repeating the same 5-6 songs at her shows. My favorite Lauryn song is Ex-Factor.

5. Aaliyah: Was like a younger Janet in a way. Has her own style did her thing and everyone liked her. She may have had a paper-thin voice compared to the others, but she knew how to work with it and was like the prince of hip-hop soul. The way Janet had Jam and Lewis, Aaliyah with Timbaland and Missy were a force to be reckoned with. My favorite Aaliyah song is Are You That Somebody.

6. MONICA: She has done a lot for her age and she is still her. I think I read that she has a #1 R&B hit in each decade (90, 00's, and 10's.). Many big hit singles and she for the most part stays true to her self. My favorite Monica song is Before You Walk Outta My Life.

7. TONI BRAXTON: Her first album is classic, the Secrets album is solid, everything else she has is forgettable. (Yes including the Heat album). She tried to come back last year with some bootlegged "Single Ladies" like track and her album went styrofoam. She unfortunately doesn't know how to stay relevant. After "Un-break My Heart", her career went in a downward spiral. My favorite Toni song is Another Sad love Song.

8. FAITH EVANS: She was somewhat consistent until she has her personal problems and the label problems as well. Faith is kinda like a "Mary J Blige lite". She has a good collection of singles and a decent voice/career. My favorite Faith song is Soon As I Get Home.

9. BRANDY: Not consistent and always disappears. Though she has other stuff like Moesha going on while also making music, she did her thing in the 2nd half of the 90's. Though her quality of music is decent its just not up to par compared to the other mention. Again like Faith Evans, she has some good singles. My favorite Brandy song is Top Of The World.

10. MYA: Not to disrespect her but she does not belong in this list. She is just not up to par with the others in terms of career, quality, longevity, success etc so I wont really comment on her. I will say though appearance wise she is in the top 3. lol My fav Mya song is Best Of Me (Remix).

Good Stuff.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Good Stuff.

Thanks musicology1985.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Whitney Houston- From The Bodyguard Soundtrack to the Waiting Exhale Soundtrack, Whitney Houston made a huge impact on the music scene in the early to mid '90's. I mean how many attempts no matter how horrible have been made at singing "Don't Walk Away From Me" or "I Will Always Love You".

Mariah Carey- Another leading lady from the 90's. She was able to bring Pop to the hood i.e. "Fantasy" remix and "Breakdown"

Mary J. Blige- the Hip Hop remix and the R&B/Hip Hip marriage was something that Mary J. Blige helped pioneer.

Toni Braxton- She was kind of the Anita Baker of her era from the short haircut to the way her vocals sounded.

Lauryn Hill- The soulful singer who could also rhyme.

Aaliyah- brought a whole new sound to Contemporary R&B music along with the whole mystique and overall aura that her personality gave off

Brandy- Can't really put my finger on what she did that really made her impactful

Monica- The young lady with songs and a voice that hinted of someone well beyond her age.

Faith Evans- Like many, she went from the background to the foreground most notably as Bad Boy's leading lady

Mya- Last on the list because she was most notably known for whatever love triangle allegedly existed with herself, Sisqo and Silkk The Shocker i.e. her biggest songs from the 90's "All About Me" feat. Sisqo and "Movin' On" feat. Silkk The Shocker.
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    so im the only one that remembers aaliyah was not that good *shrugs*

in the 90's Brandy AND Monica >her
  • Pun1sher
    Pun1sher Members Posts: 424
    edited October 2011
    Options
    1. Mariah Carey - Without her, the rap/sung collaboration would have never gone mainstream. With the "Fantasy" remix, she was able to popularize a trend and make it a prevalent showing amongst mainstream, pop acts. She took whole notion of "feat. (insert rapper here)" to the pop charts...for good.

2. Mary J. Blige - She was the first to sing soulful vocals, over hip hop backing tracks...which really ushered in a new era for female r&b artists. Without Mary, there would have been no Aaliyah, no Brandy, and no Monica.

3. Whitney Houston - Just for her sheer vocal ability...

4. Brandy - Similar to Whitney. A lot of people cite Brandy as an inspiration primarily because her voice is so un histrionic. Nobody can harmonize and do melodies like she can.

And the remaining are hit or miss, really.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I knew it was your ? ass
  • Pun1sher
    Pun1sher Members Posts: 424
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I knew it was your ? ass

Deal with it, big nose gorilla.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    it's a good list, i'd probably add kelly price and tamia.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    1. Whitney Houston
    2. Lauryn Hill
    3. Mary J. Blige
    4. Mariah Carey
    5. Monica
    6. Aaliyah
    7. Brandy
    8. Toni Braxton
    9. Mya
    10. Faith Evans
  • Esiam
    Esiam Banned Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Based on impact? Okay

Whitney Houston
    Mary J. Blige
    Mariah Carey
    Lauryn Hill
    Aaliyah
    Brandy
    Faith Evans
    Toni Braxton
    Mya
    Monica

Based on personal preference though:

Brandy
    Lauryn Hill
    Aaliyah
    Mary J. Blige
    Mariah Carey
    Whitney Houston
    Faith Evans
    Toni Braxton
    Mya
    Monica

I don't know why you'd put Mya and Monica in a list over people that made any impact though seriously
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    In No Order:

Aaliyah
    Faith Evans
    Mariah Carey
    Lauryn Hill
    Mya
    Monica
    Brandy
    Mary J. Blige
    Toni Braxton
    Whitney Houston

Based on impact alone.....

Whitney Houston
    Mariah Carey
    Mary J.
    Lauryn Hill
    Toni Braxton
    Faith Evans
    Monica
    Aaliyah
    Brandy
    Mya