What does The Essence think of Odd Future?

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Essence
To me i personally dont like them. I havent heard too much from them but from what i have i didnt like. The Yonkers song by Tyler is pretty cool. I just hate the whole shock rap stuff they do, i mean eminem did it with some good ass wordplay and punch lines but there really isnt anything special about these kids rapping abilities.

What are your guys thoughts?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Not a lot to be honest, I've heard Orange Juice… that's about it though, any more songs I could check for the purpose of the thread?
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    I cant post vids of anything. Alls i know is Yonkers and MelloHype.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I cant post vids of anything. Alls i know is Yonkers and MelloHype.

Just seems blah, I'm neither here nor there… but the subject matter does nothing for me… the beat on Yonkers is quite nice… but it's a far cry from what I'm usually into. I can't see myself checking for them. I have been aware of them due to their buzz… but never really checked for them, I had a gut feeling.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited September 2011
    I'm a fan of Odd Future... they're definitely different from the rest. I think they get an unfair rep too because of what Tyler and Earl rap about (although Earl is very gifted as a rapper, at only 17 it's surprising how good he is)... I can understand why they get dislike but I still think what they're releasing is still of a high quality. Yonkers is by far the best song from them though, that's my most played song on my iTunes haha
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Yeah ive heard that Earl is really good but since hes been away at school i havent heard anything from him, and im not gonna go digging for his old stuff ha. Im sure when he gets back he will have a grip load of new material.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I've heard about them, but I've yet to fully listen to a project from them!

It's funny you would mention them, Panchi from the NYGz was talking in reference to Tyler the Creator on Live from HeadQCourterz a week or two ago, and he said he liked his voice and his character but he does some questionable ? too.
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited September 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Just seems blah, I'm neither here nor there… but the subject matter does nothing for me… the beat on Yonkers is quite nice… but it's a far cry from what I'm usually into. I can't see myself checking for them. I have been aware of them due to their buzz… but never really checked for them, I had a gut feeling.

Cosign this whole post 100%
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Liked 'em for a minute, but I grew tired of them quickly. I might be checking for Hodgy Beats' album or the next MellowHype album, maybe Mike G too. That's it, though.

With that being said, I practically hate their fanbase. Their fans are too into their personal lives and act like they're doing something so unique. It's rather annoying.
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited September 2011
    Liked 'em for a minute, but I grew tired of them quickly. I might be checking for Hodgy Beats' album or the next MellowHype album, maybe Mike G too. That's it, though.

With that being said, I practically hate their fanbase. Their fans are too into their personal lives and act like they're doing something so unique. It's rather annoying.

LOL. Sounds like the typical Emenim STANS
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited September 2011
    Not feeling them at all.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I must say i'm feeling Tyler/Earl so far. Although there attitude towards other good groups from the horrorcore/shcok rap side of rap is on some bs. For them to say Gravediggaz sucks and act like the style of rap they spitting is new is crazy to me regardless Tyler and Earl have alot of potential.
    Some of my favorite tracks from Tyler
  • taeOne
    taeOne Members Posts: 6
    edited September 2011
    not exactly my cup of tea but there is a lot of ? i like about them.

its nice to see younger cats coming out with something different and weird that reps what they are into. id much rather hear some funny gross ? from some kids wilding then the same old money cash hoes ? that we get bombarded with. these kids are briniging something different and a lil more old school to teh mainstream which i totally support
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited September 2011
    I've liked most of what I've heard from them. Yes, its kinda shock rap but they have a fresh hunger to their style and a distinct low-fi tinge to their production that contrasts the rhyme style. On the rap side, I've heard the compilation album Radical, both of Tyler's albums, Earl's album, and Mellowhype. Good stuff, just ignore the band-wagoners, hipsters, and haters and listen to the music for what it is.

Also, Frank Ocean is pretty good on the R&B tip. He's not at all like the rest of OF. His mixtape Nostalgia Ultra contains some nice mixes and "freestyle R&B" songs over some cool song choices. Peep Novacane and American Wedding. I like it, and I'm usually not the biggest modern R&B fan.
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I think the shock is to grab your attention, but once you listen to Tyler the Creator he's actually a pretty good emcee. Especially for being such a young dude.

They can only ride this weirdo wave for so long though. Eventually people and critics alike will be expecting more substance from Odd Future as a whole. If not Tyler and Frank Ocean would probably the only ones making a career outta this.
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Ishi wrote: »
    I must say i'm feeling Tyler/Earl so far. Although there attitude towards other good groups from the horrorcore/shcok rap side of rap is on some bs. For them to say Gravediggaz sucks and act like the style of rap they spitting is new is crazy to me regardless Tyler and Earl have alot of potential.
    Some of my favorite tracks from Tyler

really? where did they say this?
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I've liked most of what I've heard from them. Yes, its kinda shock rap but they have a fresh hunger to their style and a distinct low-fi tinge to their production that contrasts the rhyme style. On the rap side, I've heard the compilation album Radical, both of Tyler's albums, Earl's album, and Mellowhype. Good stuff, just ignore the band-wagoners, hipsters, and haters and listen to the music for what it is.

Also, Frank Ocean is pretty good on the R&B tip. He's not at all like the rest of OF. His mixtape Nostalgia Ultra contains some nice mixes and "freestyle R&B" songs over some cool song choices. Peep Novacane and American Wedding. I like it, and I'm usually not the biggest modern R&B fan.

I ? with ocean tho, the nostalgia ultra is nice
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited September 2011
    Domo Genesis has got a new mixtape coming out soon... I think it'll be worth a listen tbh:

Dunno if anything else from it has been released... it's not like Tyler or Earl though. You can tell he's OF but yeah, I'm ? with that Benediction track
  • salamerican1
    salamerican1 Members Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    People need to stop labeling OF's music as shock rap and horrorcore

It's just a couple of young dudes having fun and lyrically exploiting their day to day troubles and thoughts

I like Tyler the creator because of his content more than his rapping. I mean honestly, the guy isn't bringing any metaphors, multi's, different ryhme schemes, but his effortless/cocky/bratty flow is what puts him on point. It's unique

I've been in a hip hop slump for a while. It's like for no reason everything i used to like (ryhmesayers ent, definitive jux, Swishahouse, strange famous, alot of mainstream) just got boring to me and these emo hop dudes are a fresh of breath air.

It's f*cked up tho cuz folk pay attention to that one line where he says f*ck jesus and totally ignore what he says on his views of a good time, crushes, having no father,

idk i guess you gotta be bipolar and ? to like the guy
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    People need to stop labeling OF's music as shock rap and horrorcore

It's just a couple of young dudes having fun and lyrically exploiting their day to day troubles and thoughts

I like Tyler the creator because of his content more than his rapping. I mean honestly, the guy isn't bringing any metaphors, multi's, different ryhme schemes, but his effortless/cocky/bratty flow is what puts him on point. It's unique

I've been in a hip hop slump for a while. It's like for no reason everything i used to like (ryhmesayers ent, definitive jux, Swishahouse, strange famous, alot of mainstream) just got boring to me and these emo hop dudes are a fresh of breath air.

It's f*cked up tho cuz folk pay attention to that one line where he says f*ck jesus and totally ignore what he says on his views of a good time, crushes, having no father,

idk i guess you gotta be bipolar and ? to like the guy

I'll be honest with you, shoutout to any of the artists out there like an Odd Future that are doing what they feel is right, its more about IMO the fans to find their own music and not just accept what the limited airwaves are providing you, there's a new track everyday!!
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Bastard by Tyler has some dope songs on it, haven't finished listen to Goblin yet, but from what i heard it's ok..Tyler is kinda hit or miss with me..haven't really listened to them other dudes tho..not really interested..
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited September 2011
    Domo Genesis`new mixtape is out. Called Under The Influence. Pretty typical stoner rap like early Wiz, Currency, and Smike DZA if your into that ? . Minimal on the Odd Future guest spots. Not bad, but nothing too spectacular either.