Suggest to me a good running shoe.

Options
Will Munny
Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Weight Room
I got some aisics I liked, but my lower back is ? . It's the muscles that are sore, not my spine. I used to run 7 miles no problems and now I run 2 and my lower back is sore as ? the next day.

Anyways, maybe a better shoe will help. Maybe I just need to see a doctor.

Comments

• confidante
    confidante Members Posts: 20
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Nike Shox work pretty good for me
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Maybe I just need to see a doctor.

maybe you should.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Timberland_Boot_Ed_Hardy_Shoes_UGG_boots_Bape_Shoe.jpg

my timbz do work
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If you have wide feet. Go get some New balances or saucony! when you try on shoes you need to make sure your toes are not jammed together. Your feet will swell a little while you run. So you will need the room. watch out for cramps in your back because of your posture and not running that distance in awhile. How do you run? On your heel or on your toes?
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've been looking for a good shoe, I'm slow as hell.

SMH at me thinking the shoe will make me faster. But I still wanna know
  • Will Munny
    edited April 2010
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    If you have wide feet. Go get some New balances or saucony! when you try on shoes you need to make sure your toes are not jammed together. Your feet will swell a little while you run. So you will need the room. watch out for cramps in your back because of your posture and not running that distance in awhile. How do you run? On your heel or on your toes?

I've been running since like january and lifting too but my back always starts hurting around the same time about 1 mile into every run, and only gets worse as I go along. I used to be able to run 7 miles 3-4 times a week with no problems, but I wasn't lifting at the time. Maybe its the lifting thats messed me up, who knows. I have no idea how I run though.
  • caddo man
    edited April 2010
    Options
    twinzmom wrote: »
    I've been looking for a good shoe, I'm slow as hell.

SMH at me thinking the shoe will make me faster. But I still wanna know

Always try on shoes after you have walked for about 30 minutes. Your feet will swell and give you a better idea of your size. IF you run on your heels get shoes with good arch support. IF you run on your toes buy shoes with that have good cushion in the front of the shoe. Remember if is tight while you are trying it on, they will be extra tight while and after you run.

Nike come slender but they do have some hard to find wide ones. Asics, Saucony and New Balance are the best running shoes out. Mizunos and Brooks are alright but I havent bought any yet. Replace your shoes after around 125 or 150 miles or 3-4 months. I never spend over $60 on a pair of shoes but they can get expensive. Search around on the internet for a good price only after you have tried them on in person.
  • Will Munny
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Okay yeah if they should be replaced that often I am waaaaaaaaay over due.
  • roysmith27
    roysmith27 Members Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I just bought the shoes Nike Lunarglides last weeks,its really most comfortable while running as per my experience.
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I would advise you to run barefoot, in the grass or if there is a beach near by. Shoes are really no good for running, I noticed your other thread about pain in your shins. We must understand that pavement is an unnatural surface and no shoe or cushion technology, and no running technique will help you live pain free if you are wearing shoes. Literally dozens of new styles and lines of running shoes in every company such as Brooks, Nike, Reebok, Under Armour, are produced each year, and we still find joggers and sprinters complaining about musculoskeletal issues, many of which become debilitating.

So we have bulging spinal discs, worn cartilage in the knees, spinal misalignment, sprained and broken ankles, stress fractures, torn ACLs, strained calf muscles, torn Achilles tendons, and numerous other stress related injuries occurring, all due to the money making schemes of athletic shoe companies.

If you must wear shoes, purchase Vibram Five Fingers http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ and wear them daily. They have seven different types and multiple colors for various types of comfort and terrain.

So, ditch the running shoes and go barefoot in the grass or at the beach. There's a man out there now who actually runs barefoot in the city on pavement! This is actually superior to using running shoes, even in the city.
  • caddo man
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I am not going to knock his advice but I will answer your question.

First thing first is what kind of foot do you have. Do you have a wide foot or a slender foot.

Slender feet means you can wear the regular Nike, Reeboks and Adidas.

If you have wide feet you have to go with Saucony, Asics, and New Balances.

I suggest you try on the shoes first. Leave some room for your feet to swell. The best thing to do is look at the shoe, if it seems like your foot is hanging over the sole then get a wider shoe. If the bone right beside your big toe and your little toe is rubbing the shoe at the same time get a wider shoe. If your big toe is rubbing the front of the shoe get a bigger shoe.
  • sammydose
    sammydose Members Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I run 10 miles a day, 3-4 times a week. Head to a local shoe store running. For here we have "Daves shoes," but I guess there are other stores in your area. People with this kind of shops are able to adequately consider the current shoes to see how to walk / run and where the pressure points are. It is better if you new running shoes every 500-600 miles once. I did not do when I started and my knee brokers charge me for several months, so I had to do something else until the cartilage healed. They run on dirt roads if possible.