Pride...Make you or Break You

Options
Yung_Souf_Money
Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Pride:

happens when we get caught up in trying to get other people to 'admire', 'like', 'love', or 'accept' us.

Pride is self-love. Pride is self-exhalation. Pride is the opposite of humility. Pride is the complete anti-? state of mind.

Do you know any people out there who try too hard to please others,and think you cant tell them nothing?

or when you try to do something for them they feel like they dont need your help when times are rough even though they are struggling etc....

Did you let Pride take the best of you?

Did you let pride decide whos best for you?

Did you let pride make the decisions in your life even when some were harsher than others?

Comments

• dpresidential
    dpresidential Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Pride is weakness and lack of confidence disguised. I honestly think empathy and (reasonable) sensitivity is like a strong old wise man, on the surface he looks fragile but his strength is deep inside. Pride is like a coward with muscles and a gun, it looks strong and intimidating on the outside, but on the inside...just a coward.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    edited April 2010
    Options
    one of my school mates died from because his PRIDE.....heres how it went down

Dude had it all, a good job,car,nice crib decked out etc......

then one day he hit rock bottom he couldnt pay his bills etc....so his pride wouldnt allow him to ask for help

so one of my cousins worked at this loan shop,,,he didnt know she worked there he called for a loan etc..after 5 minutes of talkin etc...she called out his name,he was shocked etc...so his pride wouldnt let him go and get the loan etc....

people tried helpin him etc...so again his PRIDE wouldnt let him so after weeks or so passed by he finally brought a Generator,the ones you put outside the house,instead his PRIDE wouldnt allow him to let his neighbors seeing him on his lowest point,so dude put the Generator inside of his HOUSE....Huge Mistake in the world!!.....days later they found him dead in his house unresponsive cause his PRIDE killed him

He died from
    Carbon Monoxide Poisoning..cause of his pride
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Damn.

Pride is especially a significant issue in black society. A white male may get "life tested" a certain amount of times in his life, but a black male?

Just off of pride alone certain activities are a life test for black males...

1. When you're young and bring a girl to the movies in the hood. You know dudes are going to be testing you.

2. Remember when you were young and stayed at the basketball court...after the son started setting and you knew you should have left? Then some "group" comes through and are like, "Yo, let me take a shot, let us play a game"

I could go on and on...it is sad.
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    alot of ? are locked up n dead because of their pride....
  • makaveli03
    makaveli03 Members Posts: 2,392
    edited April 2010
    Options
    pride right now is the reason why i fell in love and the other reason why that same woman is going to mess it up for any other woman that tries to get close to me....I allowed myself to think that I was too good to be turned down, and this girl ? on my face....now i feel like she insulted my pride...and love has no part to play in how I feel about her now....it has officially made me cold hearted...I cannot love because my pride wont let me. So yes pride is the one thing that determines everything and how you react to it
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    pride should only reach to a certain extent. i don't see how some one can maintain who they are without a lil bit of it. other wise you'll just be a bandwagon for the rest of your life. if you don't learn to have that kind of faith in who you are, you'll never know who you are. as the cliche goes, "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything". i feel that part of having pride is recognizing where your flaws are and still loving yourself. knowing where your strengths are and praising yourself.

but just like everything else in this world, too much of it can be bad for you. you just have to know when you need to draw the line.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i don't think pride is necesarily a weak emotion, but i do feel it can be extremely foolish to over do it
  • Rell Mayne
    Rell Mayne Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    theres Pride then....Foolish Pride
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride ? with you. ? pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps. - Marsellus Wallace - Pulp Fiction
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Pride is weakness and lack of confidence disguised. I honestly think empathy and (reasonable) sensitivity is like a strong old wise man, on the surface he looks fragile but his strength is deep inside. Pride is like a coward with muscles and a gun, it looks strong and intimidating on the outside, but on the inside...just a coward.

I don't know about all that

pride is dignity, and it can be necessary just as much as it could be a vice

I think the biggest issue is when mofos don't use their motivation gained from pride for the right reasons

ie. doing something that needs to be done even tho you might be shook = good pride
    doing something trivial for the sake of not looking weak = bad pride
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Rell Mayne wrote: »
    theres Pride then....Foolish Pride

^^^ This right here is what I was speaking on.
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I don't know about all that

pride is dignity, and it can be necessary just as much as it could be a vice

I think the biggest issue is when mofos don't use their motivation gained from pride for the right reasons

ie. doing something that needs to be done even tho you might be shook = good pride
    doing something trivial for the sake of not looking weak = bad pride

You're right. i was speaking on "bad" pride aka foolish pride.

And as said before, in minority communities it is the worst. Look at somebody and both people's eyes lock, now you have a "pride staring match" that could lead to life changing bad decisions. Bump someone in the street...but THEY are the one's who need to say sorry. Have your sneakers stepped on by mistake, but it is weakness if you acknowledge it as a mistake.

? needs to change.
  • Dupac
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ^^^ This right here is what I was speaking on.

right, because pride is basically self respect,

when u have over the top pride, or foolish pride, that's when u get into the over inflated sense of self,
    lack of humility, or a flase sense of entitlement that would pretty much be consider characteristics of a weak personality
  • blakfyahking
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You're right. i was speaking on "bad" pride aka foolish pride.

And as said before, in minority communities it is the worst. Look at somebody and both people's eyes lock, now you have a "pride staring match" that could lead to life changing bad decisions. Bump someone in the street...but THEY are the one's who need to say sorry. Have your sneakers stepped on by mistake, but it is weakness if you acknowledge it as a mistake.

? needs to change.

I agree to that

basically it comes from a culture where black masculinity is constantly threatened

so mofos feel like they got to do extra ? just to keep their image of what a strong man is supposed be intact

that's why cats these days shoot so much instead of throwing hands or at least trying to understand the other side 1st
  • Dupac
    edited April 2010
    Options
    right, cuz there's a lotta ? out ehre who can't handle being beat up...or any embaressment at all for that matter
  • lady_c
    lady_c Members Posts: 201
    edited April 2010
    Options
    they say that pride comes before the fall, which is true.

but you have to maintain a certain level of pride otherwise youll be somebodys doormat.
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've always wondered about the contrast between blacks and other races.

Like, I don't see in white "movie theaters" a white kid brings his girl to the movies and there are groups of dudes trying to disrespect.

We really need to change the mentality of the urban youth. Imagine if our culture encouraged team work and community support...Dreams...
  • Dupac
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've always wondered about the contrast between blacks and other races.

Like, I don't see in white "movie theaters" a white kid brings his girl to the movies and there are groups of dudes trying to disrespect.

We really need to change the mentality of the urban youth. Imagine if our culture encouraged team work and community support...Dreams...

naw white boys have pride in ? as well...i've seen it quite a enough times to know that's true....

it's mostly a class thing...ppl exhibit their pride in different areas of their lives bascially related to what they have to compare with outhers..

to us growing up it might just be being a ? ....

but to in a white box in texas it might be something like highschool football, they'd die for that ? .. easily
  • dpresidential
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    naw white boys have pride in ? as well...i've seen it quite a enough times to know that's true....

it's mostly a class thing...ppl exhibit their pride in different areas of their lives bascially related to what they have to compare with outhers..

to us growing up it might just be being a ? ....

but to in a white box in texas it might be something like highschool football, they'd die for that ? .. easily

Du..>I have NEVER seen it on the level it is in among blacks. I remember telling my nephew the first time he was ready to go out with his little girl friend, "What you need to know, is there will probably be those who will test you." (He was short)

And like I said before, doesn't every black man have that.."Basketball court at sundown story?" I know there are definitely cases among whites however is it anywhere near as prevalent as in black culture?

A lot of our music is about foolish pride too. Sad...
  • Dupac
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Du..>I have NEVER seen it on the level it is in among blacks. I remember telling my nephew the first time he was ready to go out with his little girl friend, "What you need to know, is there will probably be those who will test you." (He was short)

And like I said before, doesn't every black man have that.."Basketball court at sundown story?" I know there are definitely cases among whites however is it anywhere near as prevalent as in black culture?

well that's honeslty can be acredited to what u've been exposed to un your life....

i've seen ppl take pride in ? that at first seemed a complete mystery to me, cuz i thought there was no way they take that ? that seriously... but i mean ? , ur on a computer... do some searches, there are some sub cluters in this country that will boggle ur damn mind..

right now, u may not beleive it, but there's prollie some little white kid who's in his late teens that feels he's the absolute authority when it comes to some tv show that prollie hasn't been on air in like 20 years.. dude know every single trivial fact to the closest detail, and takes an enormous amount of pride in that knowledge...and he has a bunchof little firends , all maybe on the internet, who treeat him like a ? for his knowledge

it seems weird, and it may seem like it doesn't compare...but dead ass....dude would feel just as hurt if he came across someone who knew more than him and embaressed him around his peers, and the most pride heavy dude u know would feel if someone mushed him and grabbed his girls ass right in front of all his homeboys....

it's all the same, different ppl just take pride in different ?
  • blakfyahking
    edited April 2010
    Options

the underlined is true

and it seems like the kids most at risk are the ones who constantly have to go thru these tests

I think like I said before, black masculinity being threatened all the time is the biggest reason why that ? seems to be cultural for us

at some point men have to be an example for boys on how to handle dealing with pride, but too many of us are MIA and too focused on ourselves to mentor the youth

and the youth become more and more lost as society goes along
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    edited April 2010
    Options
    in the bible it says ? hates a person with pride
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    edited April 2010
    Options
    like somebody said earlier, alot of ? are in jail cause of their pride

they too chicken to accept a ass whippin so they killed somebody cause they pride wouldnt let them walk away or accept the fact they got disrespected.

it takes a real man to walk away from a confrontation
  • Dupac
    edited April 2010
    Options
    like somebody said earlier, alot of ? are in jail cause of their pride

they too chicken to accept a ass whippin so they killed somebody cause they pride wouldnt let them walk away or accept the fact they got disrespected.

it takes a real man to walk away from a confrontation

it's not always as simple as jst walking away....however it is smart to take the time to determine to realize if it's really worth it
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    one of my school mates died from because his PRIDE.....heres how it went down

Dude had it all, a good job,car,nice crib decked out etc......

then one day he hit rock bottom he couldnt pay his bills etc....so his pride wouldnt allow him to ask for help

so one of my cousins worked at this loan shop,,,he didnt know she worked there he called for a loan etc..after 5 minutes of talkin etc...she called out his name,he was shocked etc...so his pride wouldnt let him go and get the loan etc....

people tried helpin him etc...so again his PRIDE wouldnt let him so after weeks or so passed by he finally brought a Generator,the ones you put outside the house,instead his PRIDE wouldnt allow him to let his neighbors seeing him on his lowest point,so dude put the Generator inside of his HOUSE....Huge Mistake in the world!!.....days later they found him dead in his house unresponsive cause his PRIDE killed him

He died from
    Carbon Monoxide Poisoning..cause of his pride
    No, he died from CO poisoning because he was an idiot.

Pride is not exclusively negative.

Regardless, I have no pride.