How can I tell my lil bro he's an addict?

Options
LOLCL
LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in The Social Lounge
I have a little pseudo-step brother on my moms side and he's always been getting into drugs and ? since a young age. Recently I was chilling with him in his walk-up apartment and he starts talking about how he shoots up now and another kid with him was selling. I've tried to tell him this ? in the past that he needs to watch out but he's never listened to me and now with his arm all bruised up and ? i'm fearing it's getting worse. I just don't want him to die cause i'm an only child and besides his brother he's the only brother I have.

Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation where they had to tell a friend of theirs they had a problem? How'd that ? work out? Am I being too pushy trying to get him off it when I haven't tried it? All I do is smoke weed and drink.

Comments

• EuropeanAndWhite
    EuropeanAndWhite Members Posts: 520
    edited September 2011
    Options
    heroin? that ? is already a problem if you even think about doing it.

hard to say what to do. try it the soft way. if that doesnt work out confront him, tell his mom, his cousins whatever, friends who arent on drugs, etc... confront him together with them and convince him that he has a problem.
  • LOLCL
    LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    heroin? that ? is already a problem if you even think about doing it.

hard to say what to do. try it the soft way. if that doesnt work out confront him, tell his mom, his cousins whatever, friends who arent on drugs, etc... confront him together with them and convince him that he has a problem.

I wouldn't wanna tell his mother and all his friends do the same ? , I'm the cleanest out of all of them.

but yeah I'll try just telling him how bad it is at first
  • EuropeanAndWhite
    EuropeanAndWhite Members Posts: 520
    edited September 2011
    Options
    sometimes an addict needs to hit rock bottom until he's able to quit with it.
  • dirty pigeon
    dirty pigeon Members Posts: 33
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Based off of my own experiences, here's an answer for you: If people around you are making bad decisions that are leading to them self-destructing, then its in your best interest to not say anything, but to cut ties with that person until they can get right with themselves....because it will only take every bit of energy that you have trying to "save" them from themselves...only they can do that..
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    LOLCL wrote: »
    I have a little pseudo-step brother on my moms side and he's always been getting into drugs and ? since a young age. Recently I was chilling with him in his walk-up apartment and he starts talking about how he shoots up now and another kid with him was selling. I've tried to tell him this ? in the past that he needs to watch out but he's never listened to me and now with his arm all bruised up and ? i'm fearing it's getting worse. I just don't want him to die cause i'm an only child and besides his brother he's the only brother I have.

Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation where they had to tell a friend of theirs they had a problem? How'd that ? work out? Am I being too pushy trying to get him off it when I haven't tried it? All I do is smoke weed and drink.

Im in a similar situation.

I got a buddy who ive known since we were both 5 (both are 21 now) but we grew up together, started smoking weed, prescriptions shrooms, name it and we tried it, well recently hes been doing heroin and and got to the point where hes shooting up and stealing from his dad and robbing everyone. I told him he needs to chill but he dont listen to nobody but himself. owes his dad at least 3 grand so far. im not gonna forcefully drag him to a detox i just hope he figures it out on his own.
  • bbwthick23
    bbwthick23 Members Posts: 954 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Take his ass on A&E's Intervention
  • statusjunk
    statusjunk Members Posts: 14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    shooting dope as well as selling it are bad news.. ask me how I know. Ultimately he needs to make the choice to get his ? together but from first hand experience I can tell you that hearing from someone who has been there and has a real understanding of that drug is extremely valuable. Good luck man, I am sick of losing people I care about to that ? .
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    If he doing heroin, you telling him to stop ain't gon do nothing at all. His willpower is probably mad low right now anyway. Does he have any reasons to quit? Children,job,wife to lose? Besides his own life of course.
  • statusjunk
    statusjunk Members Posts: 14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    chilly wrote: »
    If he doing heroin, you telling him to stop ain't gon do nothing at all. His willpower is probably mad low right now anyway. Does he have any reasons to quit? Children,job,wife to lose? Besides his own life of course.

all that becomes trivial if you are the type to fall in love with that ? . ? ' tease, lets you have a taste of everything and leaves your ass for nothing, alive or out of jail if you are lucky.. Music saved me, friends, family. But you have to want it. If he is talking openly to you about his habit he hasn't seen the real downsides yet.. so get him before that happens if you can. PM me if you want to talk or whatever.. Im not a 12 stepper, preachy, spiritual type but I've been there and hate seeing other people go down that path.
  • needmorecash
    needmorecash Members Posts: 253
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ? pigeon wrote: »
    Based off of my own experiences, here's an answer for you: If people around you are making bad decisions that are leading to them self-destructing, then its in your best interest to not say anything, but to cut ties with that person until they can get right with themselves....because it will only take every bit of energy that you have trying to "save" them from themselves...only they can do that..

you sound like a fool on so many levels
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I hate to say this but there's nothing you can do, he must have deep psychological issues to be using heroin. Anyone that uses something like that is really trying to escape planet Earth. The best you can do is ask him why he uses, and let him know you still care about him. Otherwise you will just have to accept his use. You can't babysit him....
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Nobody just decides to shoot up one day. He must've already been sniffin that ? on the low for a hot minute....
  • shaftdahustla
    shaftdahustla Members Posts: 21
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Just recently we were trying to tell one of the homies he had an issue and he wouldn't listen. It took for him to lose his job and hs girl to leave before he really started listening. Im sorry to say this but he aint gonna stop until he is ready to stop. All you can do is bring this to his attention and let him know you dont approve of it. the rest is on him. at some point you are going to have to distance yourself from him because you dont want the madness associated with drugs around you and messing up your vibe. Good luck