which banks have the best interest rates?

Options
themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Strictly Business
yeah I'm with charter one right now.....and I'm looking to upgrade my checking accounts.......but they are offering .03 in interest...any suggestions?

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If you're looking for a internet based, go here
    http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/checking-account/checking-account-results.aspx?local=false&prods=31&ic_id=CR_searchCheckingAccts_checking_Interestchecking

Go to bankrate.com for checking rates on checking accounts local or internet as well as many other information
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    If you're looking for a internet based, go here
    http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/checking-account/checking-account-results.aspx?local=false&prods=31&ic_id=CR_searchCheckingAccts_checking_Interestchecking

Go to bankrate.com for checking rates on checking accounts local or internet as well as many other information

This dude nailed it. Everbank or Discover Bank offer the best rates, but use that site to look around.

Everbank not only offers great savings rates, but they also have checking accounts that can gain interest!
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yea Everbank is good too...I miss when the interest rates were like 5.00%

I use Allybank, but Zion Bank was another one that had one of the highest interest rates for checking and Money Market!
  • themadlionsfan
    edited September 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    Yea Everbank is good too...I miss when the interest rates were like 5.00%

I use Allybank, but Zion Bank was another one that had one of the highest interest rates for checking and Money Market!

my car is financed through ally..... 5.8 FTW
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    my car is financed through ally..... 5.8 FTW

Nice and they've been advertising those car loans hard too
  • themadlionsfan
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I gotta queston....do you guys feel nervous about using internet banks......you guys dont worry about putting your money into a bank you cant go to physically
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I gotta queston....do you guys feel nervous about using internet banks......you guys dont worry about putting your money into a bank you cant go to physically

nope, because in the age of online banks, its starting to go that way anyway

The good thing about them are the specific benefits that you get from having an account.
    Of course security is an issue but its an issue at all banks.

All you need is internet access, a separate bank account to deposit and sometimes withdraw from the internet account and they provide you with an ATM/ Checking account card for immediate access. I do know Ally Bank isn't the only one that does that, Zions Bank, Discover Bank, Everbank should all be able to do that!

In terms of you asking all the questions, this is what you need to do, you have to do the research!! Before I started my account, I was looking at Everbank and Zions Bank before going to Ally Bank for my Money Market Account. I read all types of articles about MMAs until I was confident enough to go with it!!

So definitely look into emergency savings right now
    use this calculator to calculate the amount you can deposit, expenses to cover, and how much you can save a month.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/emergency-savings-calculator-tool.aspx
  • fullfledged
    fullfledged Members Posts: 238
    edited September 2011
    Options
    interest rates in this country suck. i would buy some australian bonds or if you can't do that invest in some long term us treasuries. but if your hands on and don;t mind some risk try forex
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    interest rates in this country suck. i would buy some australian bonds or if you can't do that invest in some long term us treasuries. but if your hands on and don;t mind some risk try forex

Yes it does....the fact is that the interest rates are dropping consistently and thats a crying shame because as more people were looking into interest-bearing accounts, the significant difference of those accounts now compared to say 5 years ago is major! The Ally's and Zion's APY average about around 0.90% while Bank of America, TD Bank, Wells Fargo in which has branches all over the nation average 0.05% smh

I'm learning more and more about investing, I am looking to diversify, especially with overseas stocks.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Make sure you stay updated with the best online savings accounts. Most are free. I have 4 of them. Most brick and mortar banks are a joke these days.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When it comes to Interest rates for mortgages, you MAY want to look at Credit Unions. Any local credit union will likely beat any big or medium sized banks Interest rates.