So Jackie Kennedy said MLK was a terrible person... Tapes revealed

young_reezy
young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Social Lounge
I know this aint nothing like the eminem racist tapes but what do yall think about this? can't really say that i'm shocked.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/jackie-kennedy-said-martin-luther-king-terrible-tapes-183048256.html

Jacqueline Kennedy was not a fan of Martin Luther King Jr., according to never-before-released interviews, ABC News reports--and it appears her opinion was shaped by FBI director J. Edgar Hoover.

"I just can't see a picture of Martin Luther King without thinking, you know, that man's terrible," the former first lady revealed in a series of interviews with historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    ..."I just can't see a picture of Martin Luther King without thinking, you know, that man's terrible,"...
    I find this hilarious.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    other black people thought MLK was terrible, big deal.....
  • toomy
    toomy Members Posts: 369
    edited September 2011
    I know this aint nothing like the eminem racist tapes but what do yall think about this? can't really say that i'm shocked.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/jackie-kennedy-said-martin-luther-king-terrible-tapes-183048256.html

Jacqueline Kennedy was not a fan of Martin Luther King Jr., according to never-before-released interviews, ABC News reports--and it appears her opinion was shaped by FBI director J. Edgar Hoover.

"I just can't see a picture of Martin Luther King without thinking, you know, that man's terrible," the former first lady revealed in a series of interviews with historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

According to a news program I watched yesterday she was referring to his alleged affairs. Also parts of the audio tapes are messing so you can't really get a clear picture of exactly what she was referring to.

It's interesting to note that Jacqueline Kennedy was part Black. Her great grand parents where Mulatto. And over course J. Edgar Hoover was said to be bi-racial and rumored to have been a transexual.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    supposedly ... this also comes from MLK resenting JFK's lack of action on civil rights and thus making negative comments at JFK's funeral that were then passed on to Jackie thanks to, you know, all that wiretapping. but who knows?
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    toomy wrote: »
    According to a news program I watched yesterday she was referring to his alleged affairs. Also parts of the audio tapes are messing so you can't really get a clear picture of exactly what she was referring to.

It's interesting to note that Jacqueline Kennedy was part Black. Her great grand parents where Mulatto. And over course J. Edgar Hoover was said to be bi-racial and rumored to have been a transexual.

Didn't know old J Hoover had some possible ? in him, did hear about the cross dressing though. And Jacquie O has ? in her too!?!?! Lol this just gets better and better, America's heros slowly being revealed
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    It was based on what J Edgar Hoover told her we know how that goes.. but they did say 2027 those files/tapes he has on MLK will be declassified
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    mark it down
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    The widowed first lady soured on King as a result of secret wiretaps arranged by FBI director J. Edgar Hoover. Hoover had told President Kennedy that King tried to arrange a sex party while in town for the March on Washington, and told Robert Kennedy that King had made derogatory comments during the president's funeral, Mrs. Kennedy recalled.

But as for what was actually said by King and his circle, history remains uncertain. The original surveillance tapes involving King have never been released publicly, and are under seal by court order until 2027.

Rep. John Lewis, legendary civil rights leader and friend of King, told ABC News that he believes Hoover concocted damaging material about King to give to the Kennedys because "he wanted to destroy the man."

"He did everything possible to make Dr. King look like somebody from another planet," said Lewis, D-Georgia. "I cannot believe that Dr. King ever said anything in a negative manner about President Kennedy. He admired, he loved … the Kennedy family."

Mrs. Kennedy said Robert Kennedy told her he had heard FBI wiretaps in which he said that King had made derogatory comments in private about Cardinal Richard Cushing, who delivered President Kennedy's eulogy at his November 1963 funeral.

Mrs. Kennedy says Bobby told her "He made fun of Cardinal Cushing and said that he was ? at it. And things about they almost dropped the coffin and -- well, I mean Martin Luther King is really a tricky person," Mrs. Kennedy said.

She also said that the president himself told her about surveillance suggesting that King sought to organize a sex party while in town for the March on Washington in August 1963.

"He told me of a tape that the FBI had of Martin Luther King when he was here for the freedom march. And he said this with no bitterness or anything, how he was calling up all these girls and arranging for a party of men and women, I mean, sort of an orgy in the hotel, and everything," she said.

Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of John and Jacqueline, said her mother's comments about King are evidence of the "poisonous" activities Hoover was engaged in, as he ruled the FBI as his private fiefdom.

She said the comments didn't reflect her mother's true feelings about King, pointing out that she was proud to attend his funeral in 1968.

"Obviously J. Edgar Hoover had passed on something that Martin Luther King said about my father's funeral, to Uncle Bobby and to Mommy. And obviously, she was upset about that," Caroline Kennedy told ABC's Diane Sawyer.

"It shows you the poisonous … activities of J. Edgar Hoover, and the idea that this is going on at the highest levels of government is really twisted," Caroline Kennedy said.

"If you asked her what she thought of Martin Luther King overall -- I mean she admired him tremendously," she added.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Jacqueline_Kennedy/jacqueline-kennedys-feelings-martin-luther-king-jr-revealed/story?id=14478321

The bolded made me lol cause it could be read the wrong way.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    How is this news? Judging from the article, her opinion likely was formed due to ? she found out about his personal life, like him ? mad ? while married, and who knows what else. Sounds about right. Unless she said that he was a terrible person for his work on behalf of African Americans, I don't see what the problem is. She's entitled to her opinion, however misguided it may be.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    It was based on what J Edgar Hoover told her we know how that goes.. but they did say 2027 those files/tapes he has on MLK will be declassified

as will the JFK assassination information
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    didn't Kennedy/King sitdown and helped brainstorm the most historic pro-Black legislation, in modern history??...which LBJ honored/ensured it became, the law?
    one, it's conjecture, hence the "supposedly" (see also: numerous articles about this supposed story). two, i don't recall this massive brainstorming session; three, i think we have to give LBJ the lion's share of the credit here as far as the presidency goes. Kennedy called for the civil rights act in what, 1963? a few months before he was killed? (there might also have been a phase when JFK was opposed to that march on Washington thing)
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    From '62-'63....

didn't Kennedy/King sitdown and helped brainstorm the most historic pro-Black legislation, in modern history??...which LBJ honored/ensured it became, the law?

I see you're still telling it like it ain't.

I almost spit out my Jamaican Blue Mountain out at that Pro-Black statement. Brainstorm? LOL. Kennedy tried to derail the March on Washington because it was originally spearheaded by angry grassroots negroes. He saw he couldn't so he did what most whites do when they want to derail a movement. Join it and fund it. He and his buddies co-opted it even down to making sure Dr. King was ALLOWED to speak for only nine minutes, even though he took 14.

That legislation at best was a pacifier/slash placebo for real issues. You was up here complaining about voting rights getting ready to expire. What is pro-black about seeking time sensitive benevolence from white men? And fonk it Imma say it. The Civil rights movement was a liberal tool to counter the burgeoning Nationalist sentiment that was growing Post Garvey. That is why it got so much mainstream press and support. It was a method of distraction from the alternative which would not have served them well.

But I can't front. We did receive benefit from it.

Tell the truth, you probably one of those white dudes that go up to Black shoppers in the record store while they are browsing the Hip Hop section and tell them "Yeah that is that real Hip Hop right there" when they pick up a Gang Starr CD
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    a white dumb housewife from the 50s-60s. No huge surprise here.

She pretty much had the feelings of nearly all crackers from that age. Including crackers of today.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    And Step wrote: »
    I see you're still telling it like it ain't.

I almost spit out my Jamaican Blue Mountain out at that Pro-Black statement. Brainstorm? LOL. Kennedy tried to derail the March on Washington because it was originally spearheaded by angry grassroots negroes. He saw he couldn't so he did what most whites do when they want to derail a movement. Join it and fund it. He and his buddies co-opted it even down to making sure Dr. King was ALLOWED to speak for only nine minutes, even though he took 14.

That legislation at best was a pacifier/slash placebo for real issues. You was up here complaining about voting rights getting ready to expire. What is pro-black about seeking time sensitive benevolence from white men? And fonk it Imma say it. The Civil rights movement was a liberal tool to counter the burgeoning Nationalist sentiment that was growing Post Garvey. That is why it got so much mainstream press and support. It was a method of distraction from the alternative which would not have served them well.

But I can't front. We did receive benefit from it.

Tell the truth, you probably one of those white dudes that go up to Black shoppers in the record store while they are browsing the Hip Hop section and tell them "Yeah that is that real Hip Hop right there" when they pick up a Gang Starr CD

^lmfao! da funniest and realest ? I never wrote...
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    and step wrote: »

tell the truth, you probably one of those white dudes that go up to black shoppers in the record store while they are browsing the hip hop section and tell them "yeah that is that real hip hop right there" when they pick up a gang starr cd

dr.chemix wrote: »
    ^lmfao! Da funniest and realest ? i never wrote...
  • dr.oliverpo
    dr.oliverpo Members Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Jackie Kennedy is a ? ! ? that ? , thats why her husband ? Marylin Monroe.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Jackie Kennedy is a ? ! ? that ? , thats why her husband ? Marylin Monroe.

Hit em up..