Does anyone go....

Options
Conscious__Nkechi
Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Weight Room
Bike riding as a part of their workout? How effective is it? How has it worked for you?

I hadn't been on a bike in ages, had to reteach myself it's been so long but I love it and am wondering how effective it is as part of my workout routine overall and in comparison to let's say running. While I know it's great exercise I would assume that it takes more time on a bike to get the same results as if I were running which I already do but before winter arrives and snow falls I am going to get a lot of bike riding done so what is your experience with it?

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hell yes, I love biking... not lately though because unfortunately my new location doesn't really accommodate it.

Here's my bike, a trek 660 frame and all substitute components. I need to do some work on it and I want to get rid of the handlebar shifters, but that's how it was when I got it and I've been lazy about getting them taken off:

29yfv60.jpg

Far as a substitute for running... I do both, I used to bike to the park and then run a couple miles and ride home. Good thing about biking relative to running is that biking is low impact, doesn't beat up on my knees or feet like running does. Bad thing is I feel like it isn't even worth it to use the bike for exercise unless I'm gonna go at least like 20 miles, and that ends up being like a two hour thing, so when time is tight I can't really justify substituting it for a 45 minute run... also I run year round in almost any weather, can't say the same for biking.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I enjoy running and maybe it will be different this year but I stopped running in extremely cold weather a while back. I switched to doing my cardio inside and on the elliptical during the fall/winter months. It bothered my lungs back a few winters ago, then I moved to hot climate so cold didn't exist but ever since then I haven't went back to running outside aside from when it gets warm.
    As for the effectiveness, that's exactly how I feel. I could easily do 20 minutes be it running or biking but I know I won't feel half of what I would if I had been running. Either way, I will bike for the love of it!
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I bike a lot yo.I bike so much that I don't need a leg day at the gym. I bike as soon as the weather breaks. When I do bike I average 24 miles back and fourth on my mountain bike. This summer I was biking 16 miles each way to work. And for 2 weeks I combined that with a strict diet and little to no weight lifting and lost 7 lbs. And like a New Yorker straight streets yo and no helmet with headphones on like a knuckle head too.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Havent biked in years was in tip top shape, now im looking flabby and sick compared to those days.

Like j-gutta straight streets from bk to midtown and back
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited September 2011
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    I bike a lot yo.I bike so much that I don't need a leg day at the gym. I bike as soon as the weather breaks. When I do bike I average 24 miles back and fourth on my mountain bike. This summer I was biking 16 miles each way to work. And for 2 weeks I combined that with a strict diet and little to no weight lifting and lost 7 lbs. And like a New Yorker straight streets yo and no helmet with headphones on like a knuckle head too.

So is there anything specific I need to look out for when I purchase my new bike?
    Havent biked in years was in tip top shape, now im looking flabby and sick compared to those days.

Like j-gutta straight streets from bk to midtown and back

Well then hop on that bike and meet you half way in Central Park.
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I been bluffing. Up until about age 17 or 18 you couldn't keep me off a bike. Since then, I've barely ridden one. A family member actually has a canondale he wants to sel me for a cheap ass price. Its bout to get cold here so ima slow up on the running, and guess ill pick up biking. Baltimore isn't one of the most bike friendly places though. ? is still a new concepts with drivers and sharing the road. Hell I find myself getting ? off at bike riders here when im driving.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So is there anything specific I need to look out for when I purchase my new bike?

Well then hop on that bike and meet you half way in Central Park.

To be honest I just went on Craigslist and bought my Trek for $160 yo. I saw it on there and researched the model and saw it had decent reviews. What's hilarious is people from the health club always see me biking and always tell me they see me. As far as you I can see you rocking with a cruiser and not a mountain bike of a 1 speed. But just like anything yo don't over exert yourself at 1st. My 1st day I tried to do that and was stuck half way with leg cramps like crazy and wound up with 2 big ass bruises on my legs.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    yea ebay or craig's list is the way to go imo, you can get a nice bike on the cheap... even a mediocre bike is expensive new
  • fullfledged
    fullfledged Members Posts: 238
    edited September 2011
    Options
    depends on your intensity. ride fast and often and you burn more cals.