SSFIV Impressions - Good balance, Hakan is a f@g, plus random thoughts

KINGOFDAARCADE
KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in IllGaming
Lots of perfect adjustments and tweaks. Goukens hurricane kick is useful now. Bisons c.HP and ? Crusher are useful now. Vega and Guile are both pretty strong now. Guile's c.HK is way faster than before. I could go on and on, but theres tons of little improvements all across the board.

Also even though it's "SUPER" SFIV... they took out alot of stuff. No more Player Matches (WTF!), No more Artwork to unlock, and you cant watch the anime movies after you beat the game (again, wtf?). Why would they take this stuff out? ? ? . Not that you would want to watch the anime clips in this game. Theyre terrible and barely even animated at all. I guess Capcom were on a tight budget.

Juri has a nice movelist. She looks like a female Hworang from Tekken though. Chaps and all. But she plays more like female Ryu. She's fast. Big time footsies/poke game. Lots of combos for all her moves. Pinwheel is a beast. She can rushdown or zone and pick her spots. Has an interesting parry type move. I like her versatility.

Hakan is trash. Garbage. Only has one special that isnt a throw and it isn't safe at all. His command throws dont even do that much damage like the other characters. (Abel and Hondas do more dmg than Hakans). Oiling up is annoying. Stupid gimmick character. Horrible, waste of a character spot. He is the new El Fuerte minus the mix up game and speed.

Cody is a monster in this game from close range. He's actually a bit like Balrog with his overhead and also has a hold Punch type move that goes through fireballs. Walks extremely slow and cant do much from far away. Probably my favorite new character in SSFIV, but I can see Akuma and Ibuki being problems with their keep away games since he is so slow.

Dee Jay has a nice pressure game but he gets eaten up by Shoryukens. It's not even funny. SRK > Everything in Dee Jays arsenal. He's gonna have a tough time with Ken and Ryu. Flowchart Ken's will own Dee Jay

THawk is... Native American. No one cares about native americans. I haven't tried him out yet.

Guy feels weird to play. He moves weird. His throw animation/speed is distinctly different than everyone elses. hah. ? Guy. His Ultra 2 is good but I cant get with his specials. He has a run command like El Fuerte. Have fun running into Ultras and Focus Attacks all day.

Ibuki has potential. I tested her out a little but didnt go indepth. I'm a bit baffled how she gets so many moves while someone like Guile is still stuck with only 2 moves. Anyways this ? Ibuki has tons of weapons. She's like Akuma.

Makoto, im not feelin this ? style but shes actually a decent character. Her moves look so simple and boring but they do huge damage. You can command throw into her Ultra as well. Her special is lame

Dudley is scary. I havnt mastered his moveset and combos yet, but I can already tell there's huge potential there. Very fast, good normals, LOTS combos, good specials... Very solid all around.

Alot of ? is recycled/not original. Sagat, Gouken, Dan, Guile all have enhanced fireballs/sonic booms for Ultra 2... just like Ryu did in vanilla SFIV. Ryus ultra 2 is just like Goukens ultra 1. Akumas new ultra looks just like fei longs old one but with a little kanji thing in the background. and they overkilled the hurricane special effects in SSFIV lol...

overall some very nice changes. Combos and links also seem much easier to execute now. They're not as strict as before.

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Too early to talk about balance, they can find some unstoppable a few months from now
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Will this game have DLC to get more characters?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited April 2010
    bcotton, thats my initial impression.

Alot of the stuff I thought was messed up in vanilla SFIV was fixed.

Giefs lariat, Bisons ? crusher, Guile all around, Ryu's srk->Ultra combo, Sagats damage output, etc.

Everyone is top tier now.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited April 2010
    Fei Long seems better. All around quicker. Probably has better recovery on his Rekkas. His command grab is still completely useless though, wtf. He'd be way more usable if they made it so you can combo after the command grab, but nope. nothing.

I'm playing THawk right now and he is RIDICULOUSLY good. Imagine 'Gief but able to close the distance much faster. His condor spire is safe on block and you can buff your 360/720 motions while doing it and land an Ultra or command grab if they block it.

EDIT: THawk is ? . I am not looking forward to playing against him online. He can combo into his 360 command grab out of condor spire weather it's blocked or it hits. It only puts opponents in block stun for such a short period that you can grab them right when they recover. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW this guy might be worst than 'Gief
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2010
    lol I was worried about T Hawk being OP in this engine, command grabs run ? in SF4
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »

How is this a versus when they in training mode?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like Cody is gonna be the new Ken/Balrog online. Everybody gonna use that ? .

He's not THAT good honestly. Grapplers will ? him.

Im gonna stick with Bison and mess with dee jay, juri, maybe that ? ibuki.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited April 2010
    10 new characters and ? STILL only picking Ken

WTF
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited April 2010
    im abusing the ? outta THawk and Bison new ultra before ppl learn how to defend them haha

THawk aint got ? for Gouken though. Bad match up it seems

also Jaggies on PS3 version ? capcom, theres no excuse for that ? , if ? of War 3 is clean as ? without jaggies on a massive scale then ssfiv shouldnt have any
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited April 2010
    Alright I cant find the SFIV fight sticks anywhere so I bought a Hori Stick off amazon. Its coming tommorow sometime, I got priority shipping on that ? . Cant wait, only thing is the buttons are set up kinda weird. Other than that its identical to the SFIV sticks but $120 cheaper so I cant complain

Now Im gettin ? up using Cody. I was hovering around 650-750 BP for the entire day. As soon as I switched back to Bison I immediately went over 1100 BP within an hour. I guess the thing was I was using a new character that I was still learning while I was fighting ? Ryu and Kens that they been using for over a year now.

I like Cody but he's slow, the run away characters annoy the ? outta me and I hate getting stuck in fireball/rock wars because theyre boring.

also THawk aint as good as I thought he was. A good fireball/zoning character (basically half the people in the game) give him troubles.
  • Bcotton5
    edited April 2010
    lol yea its frustrating trying to learn new ppl when everyone picking their mains, Im trying to put in work w Dudley and these dudes getting in some wins, if I roll w Ryu these ? wouldn't even get a round.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited April 2010
    Whats with this replay channel ? ?

I thought I could upload it for others to watch and rate/comment, but... I gotta invite them to a lobby and watch it together? lame
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    and I thought I was kinda nerdy... not no more. (double negative)
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    i was some what dissapoint. hopefully KOF XIII will be better than XII.
  • Shyheim
    Shyheim Members Posts: 580
    edited May 2010
    lol yea its frustrating trying to learn new ppl when everyone picking their mains, Im trying to put in work w Dudley and these dudes getting in some wins, if I roll w Ryu these ? wouldn't even get a round.

Who are you talking about?