Successful Black Women Having A Hard Time Finding Black Men Set To Air On ABC Tonight

Options
freshfromatl
freshfromatl Members Posts: 559
edited July 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
‘Nightline’ town hall in Decatur about successful black women having a hard time finding black men set to air Wednesday, April 21
9:18 am April 21, 2010, by Rodney ?

Unless a big breaking story happens, “Nightline” is set to air a truncated version of its 2.5 hour town hall meeting in Decatur earlier this month on Wednesday, April 21 at 11:35 p.m.

More than 600 people crowded the Porter Sanford Performing Arts Center in Decatur on Friday, April 9. Several hundred more were forced into satellite rooms or simply got there too late to get in. Clearly, moderator Steve Harvey’s promotional pull showed. He talked about it on his radio show heard locally on Majic 107.5/97.5 that week.

And “The View’s” Sherri Shepherd flew from New York City to take part as well. Vicki Mabrey, the “Nightline” correspondent moderated with Harvey, along with participants Jacque Reid (”Let’s Talk About Pep”), actor Hill Harper (”CSI: NY”) and author Jimi Israel (”The Denzel Principle”).

The show revealed the misconceptions each gender has about the other. And the numbers are stacked against college-educated black women. The pool of comparable men is about half. Plus, many black women are unwilling to lower their standards while black men plead for more understanding.

I spoke last week with Shepherd about her experience. She originally didn’t want to do the panel because it was a topic that didn’t have any easy solutions. But she knew Harvey, Reid and Hill so she went along with it. She did have her nails out for Israel, who wrote a book she said bashes black women.

“I felt he kind of backed off once he was in a room full of black women and was held accountable for what he wrote,” said Shepherd, who clutched his book for much of the talk and picked at points he made in it. Indeed, Israel appeared to pull his punches.

The panel confirmed to her that the onus is on women more than men, that females have to “validate” guys a lot. “They say it’s not in their DNA” to be loyal or emotional, she said. “But what about our DNA?”

She did appreciate when Harvey said men are often shamed when they aren’t quite where they want to be, that they aren’t necessarily lazy miscreants. “We are ashamed to the fact that we have not gotten to where we thought we’d be by this age in life. Have you ever considered that for a moment?” Harvey said. “But when you attach the term intimidation to it, you take on a superior role.”

Still, Shepherd said, there’s a point where she feels shame becomes an excuse.

On an unrelated note, I asked her about her Lifetime sitcom “Sherri.” She said she has not heard if it’s been renewed yet.

And I also wondered why “The View” did not invite Kitty Kelley to talk about her new “Oprah” book. Shepherd’s response: “I know so much about Oprah, I don’t really need to read Kitty Kelley’s book. She has talked about her struggles and heartaches and victories. Princess Di was one thing. I didn’t know her. I didn’t know Frank Sinatra. I know Oprah.”

On TV
“Nightline,” 11:35 p.m. tonight on ABC

You can watch more about this online at ABC News’s “Face Off” page.

And our Wise Diva over on the “Misadventures in Atlanta” blog offers her own thoughts here.

http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2010/04/21/nightline-town-hall-in-decatur-about-successful-black-women-having-a-hard-time-finding-black-men-set-to-air-wednesday-april-21/

So yall watching??

Comments

• Ace Boon
    Ace Boon Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Damn, again? I thought they already did this sh*t.
  • freshfromatl
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Also another interesting article on the topic.....

‘Nightline’ looks at successful black women’s relationship struggles
    8:00 am April 21, 2010, by Wise Diva

You will definitely want to watch, record, or hold a viewing party for “Nightline Face-Off” on ABC, airing tonight at 11:35 p.m. The hot topic on the debate table was why successful black women can’t get a man. Not only was the debate taped locally in Decatur earlier this month, yours truly was there to witness it all! That’s right, people, the relationship revolution will be televised…tonight on ABC!

The debate moderators included author and radio host Steve Harvey and Nightline’s Vicki Mabrey. The lively and decidedly entertaining panelists included CSI star, Hill Harper, journalist/VH1 star Jacque Reid, Comedian and ‘The View’ panelist Sherri Shepherd and author Jimi Izrael. Atlanta’s own Dr. Tartt (and Misadventures in Atlanta guest blogger!) was featured as an audience guest panelist as well, as was soon to be published author, Helena Andrews. Andrews is the author of an upcoming novel that will touch on the successful black woman conundrum.

As I sat in the audience, I found the dialogue to be honest and intense at times. Thankfully, there was also a great deal of laughter and fun. I actually came away with, dare I say, more hope? I was happy this town hall debate afforded me a chance to recruit a new Love Squad panel. I pitched them a couple of questions that came to mind from the face-off. Let’s meet them and hear what they had to say!

What are the hurdles professional black women face when fishing in a relatively small dating pond? Do you think these hurdles are more difficult in Atlanta or easier to overcome?

Bren, 30, Atlanta. Education: Post-Graduate. Industry: Entertainment

I could totally relate to Bren: “Discerning a man’s intent and genuine interest has been a problem. I attribute that to having entirely too many options and ultimately, a lack of preparedness to settle down. Coming from DC, where the ratio of black men to black women isn’t half as bad as it is in Atlanta, dating here seems much more obscure and a ‘game’ of sorts. There are so many women here, men have taken the liberty in being dishonest, driven by their ulterior motives or just immaturity.

Kenneth 35, Atlanta. Education: Currently in graduate school. Occupation: Consultant, Minister, Relationship Coach.

Kenneth believes that the many hurdles successful black women face are complex. They include: media influence; misconception that men are intimidated by them; a misunderstanding of their relationship value. He mused, “Professional black women may encounter greater distractions in Atlanta than other cities, but this can be attributed to the social competition and materialism that exists.

Allen, 27, Lilburn. Education: College Degree. Occupation: Business Analyst

When I think about the topic of dating/marriage in the educated black community, I just wonder if we can ever go back to our traditional roles. A lot of my friends and I want a woman that has aspirations to be a good homemaker as well as a career woman. We also don’t think that the educated successful women enjoy being in a submissive role.

I think our love squad raised some wonderful points! Some things I hadn’t though about. Do you agree or disagree with them? How would you answer the panel questions?

Rodney ? , Sherri Shepherd discuss her ‘Nightline’ experience in his Radio & TV Talk blog

http://blogs.ajc.com/misadventures-in-atlanta/2010/04/21/nightlines-face-off-in-atlanta/
  • jermfrassoutt
    jermfrassoutt Members Posts: 115
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hmmm ill watch jus 2 c what kind of points they bring up..
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol. they just gonna keep reminding y'all ? that no one want y'all. this ? ain't gonna fix nothin just like the last 4000 specials ain't fix nothin. ima watch for the comedic value though.
  • Simma II
    Simma II Banned Users Posts: 787
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yo FFA, did you end up going to the forum about a week back?
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Aye fresh... Did you go?
  • longmeat
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ima put it like this. if you can't find a man, the problem is you. if you pushing 40 and don't nobody want your ass, you can't keep blaming everyone else. but these hoes don't want the truth, they want someone to co-sign their "? ain't ? " movement.
  • coco_butterfly08
    coco_butterfly08 Members Posts: 170
    edited April 2010
    Options
    man not this ish again
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ace Boon wrote: »
    Damn, again? I thought they already did this sh*t.

me too...its easy if black women want decent men they should listen to the men that they are claiming they want
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    meh I can't relate

I can/have found 'good' men in all shades

I just wish they'd stop talking about it, and let black women go about their business
  • dr. zero_ahh
    dr. zero_ahh Members Posts: 299
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Until they stop making millions off the plight of single black women, these specials and articles will continue to pop up. It's profitable to capitalize off someone else's misery. Capitalism stay winning; dependent thinkers stay losing.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    meh I can't relate

I can/have found 'good' men in all shades

I just wish they'd stop talking about it, and let black women go about their business

? you self hating ? ,
  • longmeat
    edited April 2010
    Options
    iAMNOVA wrote: »
    me too...its easy if black women want decent men they should listen to the men that they are claiming they want

they just wanna complain man. you get comfortable in misery after a while.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    here we go again with this ?

that won't be entertaining me
  • haute
    edited April 2010
    Options
    drtycity wrote: »
    ? you self hating ? ,

please go do what you do best

? yourself
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Until they stop making millions off the plight of single black women, these specials and articles will continue to pop up. It's profitable to capitalize off someone else's misery. Capitalism stay winning; dependent thinkers stay losing.

Respected............
  • sdrawkcabseh
    sdrawkcabseh Members Posts: 1,237 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Shows like this will never adress the real problem of why black women can't find quality men. Their either a)damaged goods no man wants to deal with, b) they chose losers their whole lives and good men don't want to Don the cape or c) they are delusional beyond belief and no man wants to deal with them. Modern black women fit one of the three..........
  • ineedpussy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    please go do what you do best

? yourself

i do that every nite so thats nuthing new. i hope you have a child by a white dude and when the babys born i hope it hateds you for being a ? . stupid black ?
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Man, this thread is intense.
  • sdrawkcabseh
    sdrawkcabseh Members Posts: 1,237 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    iAMNOVA wrote: »

Cosign........
  • longmeat
    edited April 2010
    Options
    this ? gonna be 100% pure comedy son. pure comedy. I give it 10 minutes before someone says "they intimidated *cue finger snap and neck roll*

I gotta hunnid on it
  • haute
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i do that every nite so thats nuthing new. i hope you have a child by a white dude and when the babys born i hope it hateds you for being a ? . stupid black ?

lmao

I hear brokeness in your post no??

Being mad at me won't get you out the hood holmes

And I don't want kids, so I guess that means me and my hubby will just have to spend our time vactioning, while you're still mad at whitey

Sad face
  • ineedpussy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lmao

I hear brokeness in your post no??

Being mad at me won't get you out the hood holmes

And I don't want kids, so I guess that means me and my hubby will just have to spend our time vactioning, while you're still mad at whitey

Sad face

nobodys mad at whitey im mad at blac ? like you who say"black women need to find someone who makes them happy of any shade" ? gtfohwtbs. its black ? like you who ? white dudes cause you think ? aint ? . i scoff at the idea of you not wanting kids. i guess thats the only good thing you can do for yourself other than slitting your wrist wretched ?
  • freshfromatl
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Simma II wrote: »
    Yo FFA, did you end up going to the forum about a week back?
    Aye fresh... Did you go?

I drove around dere and the line was like two blocks long smh...I was like ? that ? , ain't no way in hell I'm gettin' in dere, plus there wasn't really anymore parking around the area so I just kept it moving. But from what I could tell, the women outnumber the men probably like 3 to 1, so I'm guessing there wasn't much of a male perpective being taken at the forum.
  • haute
    edited April 2010
    Options
    nobodys mad at whitey im mad at blac ? like you who say"black women need to find someone who makes them happy of any shade" ? gtfohwtbs. its black ? like you who ? white dudes cause you think ? aint ? . i scoff at the idea of you not wanting kids. i guess thats the only good thing you can do for yourself other than slitting your wrist wretched ?

so you're broke and stupid

last time I checked all shades included black

I ? white/Asian/black/Hispanic men because I like ?

just like you