Timeline: BC & AD

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Social Lounge
Why do we use this timeline today? Why is it centered around Jesus? (or whatever "real" name you'd like to use) What people decided to create this timeline?

Also, what exactly are we using right now? Would it be BC/AD or BCE/CE?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Is this a trap question?

lol jp
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    not religious but its not a big deal to me. really not worth the effort to change it or care
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Is this a trap question?

lol jp

No, it's serious and just curious
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Why do we use this timeline today?

The spread of Christianity across the globe brought the timeline BC/AD to alot of countries mainly in Europe. Alot of others caved into pressure and made the switch because everyone was using it later on (IE China as late as the early 1900s.)
    Why is it centered around Jesus? (or whatever "real" name you'd like to use)

What people decided to create this timeline?

It was one guy that created it. He started it because he refused to use the same dating system as Diocletian did during his era because dude killed and jailed a bunch of Christians. I take it Christ plays into it because of this, dude must have been a believer and centered it around his "? ".
    Also, what exactly are we using right now? Would it be BC/AD or BCE/CE?

It would still be BC/AD. Before the common era and common era seem dumb to me. When did "common" start and what is considered common era? At what point would common have started? It's how it is and it really has no significance to most people whether its based around christ. It's used widely now and it's not hurting nothing so ? it, let it be.

~1~