Beyonce: Legend Or F#cking Overrated?...

Options
rip.dilla
rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
I'm stuck in between...

I recognize her achievements and success... BUT musically and more especially vocally, she has yet to impress me...

And personally... I don't find her sexy at all LOL

Comments

• blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How can you be a legend within 12 years???
  • rip.dilla
    edited April 2010
    Options
    blatin35 wrote: »
    How can you be a legend within 12 years???

She's being the top black chick in the game since... hell Janet and Whitney in the '80's and '90's
  • outlawd
    outlawd Members Posts: 89
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Man im voting Legendary fam! I used to hate on her like why does everyone think this girl is the ? ...

Then I had to sit back & be real with myself. She's mad talented, has a nice track listing of songs, gets paid crazy pap to perform the tracks, & is fine as hell.

Man everything points to shorty going down in history as a great. And she a trend setter for the females & ? communities....

Gotta give her credit where its due
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She is overrated and even despite her success she never lived up to her potential.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How bout both??
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Nope, and I feel not a ounce of soul in her music!
  • rip.dilla
    edited April 2010
    Options
    outlawd wrote: »
    Man im voting Legendary fam! I used to hate on her like why does everyone think this girl is the ? ...

Then I had to sit back & be real with myself. She's mad talented, has a nice track listing of songs, gets paid crazy pap to perform the tracks, & is fine as hell.

Man everything points to shorty going down in history as a great. And she a trend setter for the females & ? communities....

Gotta give her credit where its due

Its only girls that I know that hate on her LOL... including my siblings
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She's a legend. With the type of music she does, there isn't supposed to be any "soul" involved. I do wish she would make more soulful music though.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I would say legend and oversaturated.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's still too early to say, I think it a couple of years if she gives up that pop hip hop club music ? and stick to that real RnB ? she will. Girl got mad talent but she waste it on that main stream pop radio ? .
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Neither, but closer to a legend than overrated. You can't deny homegirl's talents.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Beyonce is iconic. But not legendary.

It's too early.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Beyonce aint oversaturated, wanna know who is oversaturated, Lady Gaga. I don't see how ? knock shorty, when she has worked her ass off for everything while her white counterparts (Britney, Christina,etc) were handed everything or came up through Disney. I still don't think she has reached her peak yet, i think she is heading there.

For those who say she can't sing, check out her Superbowl performance and tell me that again or isn't she doesn't make pretentious neo soul music.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How can anyone deny Beyonce's Legendary Status? One of the greatest groups of all time and now she's one of the greatest solo artist of all time. "No Soul"? are you kidding? Sure she makes her pop/hip hop records but she has plenty of soul. Is she overexposed? Sure but she's not over-rated, she will go down as one of the best. Her songs are formula based and yes the lyrics are lacking on some of them. But good music is good music and Beyonce has made plenty of good music and has many Classic songs and albums under her belt. She is the Diana of this generation as far as going from a successful group and transistion to a successful solo career. Beyonce has had to much Classic Material for ya'll to sit up here and act like she's "Average" or "not that speical". Again I think she is overexposed and probably needs to take a year off and get out of the spotlight but there is no way she's not a Legend. I wouldn't put her over Mariah or Janet yet but she's getting up there. I think this last album cemented it for her with "Single Ladies" becoming a cultural phenomenom and the other singles on the album being a success. That's 3 back to back soild solo albums with plenty of great singles and songs. She's a living legend. Again in the end I'm not sure she' be better than the other GOATS but her name is going to be in the discussion.
  • blatin35
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How can anyone deny Beyonce's Legendary Status? One of the greatest groups of all time and now she's one of the greatest solo artist of all time. "No Soul"? are you kidding? Sure she makes her pop/hip hop records but she has plenty of soul. Is she overexposed? Sure but she's not over-rated, she will go down as one of the best. Her songs are formula based and yes the lyrics are lacking on some of them. But good music is good music and Beyonce has made plenty of good music and has many Classic songs and albums under her belt. She is the Diana of this generation as far as going from a successful group and transistion to a successful solo career. Beyonce has had to much Classic Material for ya'll to sit up here and act like she's "Average" or "not that speical". Again I think she is overexposed and probably needs to take a year off and get out of the spotlight but there is no way she's not a Legend. I wouldn't put her over Mariah or Janet yet but she's getting up there. I think this last album cemented it for her with "Single Ladies" becoming a cultural phenomenom and the other singles on the album being a success. That's 3 back to back soild solo albums with plenty of great singles and songs. She's a living legend. Again in the end I'm not sure she' be better than the other GOATS but her name is going to be in the discussion.
    That's funny... There's no way in hell her 3 albums comes close to Control, Rhythm Nation and the Janet. album. I'm not a fan of mariah, but Beyonce can't match her first 3 albums either and she never will. I'm not sure how you define classic music but that chick only has one major hit on each album. Let's see if they get played 15 to 20 years from now..
  • rip.dilla
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That's funny... There's no way in hell her 3 albums comes close to Control, Rhythm Nation and the Janet. album. I'm not a fan of mariah, but Beyonce can't match her first 3 albums either and she never will. I'm not sure how you define classic music but that chick only has one major hit on each album. Let's see if they get played 15 to 20 years from now..

^^ co-sign this...

I liked her first solo album... the following two were meh

...Sasha Fierce had ONLY one good song IMO... 'Single Ladies'
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

now to say she only has 1 hit per album is just a ignorant statement. i guess those singles would be Crazy In Love, Irreplacable, & Single Ladies. but to deny she has other MAJOR solo hit is crazy......

Baby Boy
    Me Myself and I
    Get Me Bodied
    Deja Vu
    Halo
    Ego
    If I Were A Boy
    Diva

^^^^all major hits.
    Sweet Dreams
  • blatin35
    edited April 2010
    Options
    now to say she only has 1 hit per album is just a ignorant statement. i guess those singles would be Crazy In Love, Irreplacable, & Single Ladies. but to deny she has other MAJOR solo hit is crazy......

Baby Boy
    Me Myself and I
    Get Me Bodied
    Deja Vu
    Halo
    Ego
    If I Were A Boy
    Diva

^^^^all major hits.
    Sweet Dreams

Those are throw away songs that wont be remembered.
    Ego, Diva and Get me bodied are horrible songs.
    Me, Myself and I is the best song in your list but it wont be remembered.
    Halo, If I were a Boy and Deja Vu were only good for the moment..
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Beyonce aint oversaturated, wanna know who is oversaturated, Lady Gaga. I don't see how ? knock shorty, when she has worked her ass off for everything while her white counterparts (Britney, Christina,etc) were handed everything or came up through Disney. I still don't think she has reached her peak yet, i think she is heading there.

I aint saying she didnt work hard for everything cause she did. But Beyonce was damn near everywhere. Almost every song on her album was released as a single, she was releasing a new video almost every other week and them ? were like world premieres on various channels. And like four or five of her songs were all getting heavy rotation all at the SAME TIME. You aint even gota listen tothe radio to know what her latest single is, LOL! But aint nobody denying her talent though. She is oversaturated, I aint sayin its her fault. Maybe its her father or her label.

Lady Gaga, I cant say she's oversaturated. I never hear her music to even know what she sings. The only time I hear about her are when people are talkin about the latest thing shes wearing.
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Those are throw away songs that wont be remembered.
    Ego, Diva and Get me bodied are horrible songs.
    Me, Myself and I is the best song in your list but it wont be remembered.
    Halo, If I were a Boy and Deja Vu were only good for the moment..

You're crazy if you think all these songs are forgettable. All of them are still on my ipod and I still get crunk listening to them.

Other hits include:
    -A Woman Like Me
    -Be With You
    -Speechless
    -Disappear
    -Broken Hearted Girl
    -Scared of Lonely

To me, her biggest hits are not released as singles
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

overrated??? No

legandary??? No

you need more than hits to become legandary

Prince is legandary, and beyonce has some ways to go to get there
  • outlawd
    outlawd Members Posts: 89
    edited April 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Its only girls that I know that hate on her LOL... including my siblings

Nah...when i say hate on her I mean denying that she is as all around cold as she is, in looks & talent!

And how she aint live up to her potential and she still in the game making music...her careers nowhere near the end B. She has alot more to do & alot more money to make from what its looking like...she s not slowing down anytime soon.

Plus half the hoes out here wana be her or be like her....how many of these chickens nicknamed themselves Sasha Fierce all of the sudden...come on son!
  • blatin35
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You're crazy if you think all these songs are forgettable. All of them are still on my ipod and I still get crunk listening to them.

Other hits include:
    -A Woman Like Me
    -Be With You
    -Speechless
    -Disappear
    -Broken Hearted Girl
    -Scared of Lonely

To me, her biggest hits are not released as singles

You can't have classic hits off some ghetto club songs... If she really wanted to take a chance she would release some ? with better lyrics..
    She better be glad Solange doesn't have a strong voice because her younger sister damn sure has better material than her...

Everyone knows Beyonce can sing and she is a good performer, she is just not creative or original..AT ALL....
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Like I said, I wouldn't put her over other GOATS like Janet, Mariah, Whitney or even Mary J Blige cause she doesn't have the CLASSICS to hold up against them. But that doesn't mean she doesn't have Classics and she's not a Legend. If Beyonce passed tomorrow, it would be instant Legendary Status. So yes right now today, she's a living legend for her hits and impact on the game. But like I said, she's overexposed. When I saw both Lady Gaga callabos is just SMH cause she just is on everything to the point it is getting annying but not in a hate way. More in a "Damn must you be on every song Beyonce?". LOL. But she's most def a legend, give her her props. But yes, her albums fail in comparsion to the others mentioned. LOL @ Janet, Whitney and Mariah's having 3 albums outshinning Beyonce's whole career when those 3 albums ain't even their whole catalog.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Just because you sell a lot of records does not mean you will become a legend. I think your career should AT LEAST 2 decades before you can be considered a legend.