Beyonce: Legend Or F#cking Overrated?...

Options

Comments

• blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote: »
    Just because you sell a lot of records does not mean you will become a legend. I think your career should AT LEAST 2 decades before you can be considered a legend.
    There you go..
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    She is overrated and even despite her success she never lived up to her potential.
    At this point, I don't think she had any potential to begin with.
    Nope, and I feel not a ounce of soul in her music!
    Agreed.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote: »
    Just because you sell a lot of records does not mean you will become a legend. I think your career should AT LEAST 2 decades before you can be considered a legend.

False, Legendary status isn't defined by how much time you have in the game, it's more defined by the impact and success of what you left behind. Pac was only in the game for 7 years, Biggie for 5 and they are both certified Legends. Same with Bruce Lee, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix etc. There is no "Time table" for Legendary status. You have to look at what she did and as of right now, with her Destiny Child's catalog and her 3 solo albums, she has Living Legend Status. I didn't say Beyonce was the GOAT or the BEST. But I don't see how she's not a Legend at this point. Again if she passed tomorrow are you telling me she wouldn't be a Legend? Exactly.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Beyonce has talent. But the material she makes doesn't live up to what she's capable of.

She has classic songs, but she doesn't have any classic albums. Which is what hurts her, I think. Her catalog, as a whole, is just not strong enough for her to be considered a legend...yet. It's still early, and she has time...but it's a little premature.

I will give her "icon" for what she's accomplished thus far. But legend? No.
  • blatin35
    edited April 2010
    Options
    False, Legendary status isn't defined by how much time you have in the game, it's more defined by the impact and success of what you left behind. Pac was only in the game for 7 years, Biggie for 5 and they are both certified Legends. Same with Bruce Lee, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix etc. There is no "Time table" for Legendary status. You have to look at what she did and as of right now, with her Destiny Child's catalog and her 3 solo albums, she has Living Legend Status. I didn't say Beyonce was the GOAT or the BEST. But I don't see how she's not a Legend at this point. Again if she passed tomorrow are you telling me she wouldn't be a Legend? Exactly.

Look at their work and compare that to some damn ghetto club songs...
  • blatin35
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Beyonce has talent. But the material she makes doesn't live up to what she's capable of.

She has classic songs, but she doesn't have any classic albums. Which is what hurts her, I think. Her catalog, as a whole, is just not strong enough for her to be considered a legend...yet. It's still early, and she has time...but it's a little premature.

I will give her "icon" for what she's accomplished thus far. But legend? No.
    She just had a few really popular songs..
    A classic song never gets old.
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Some people here seem to think being a legend equals making a lot of dough and taking number 1 spots. No, being a legend means a lot more than that. Like, having some revolutionary qualities that (can) change the game. What is so revolutionary about Beyonce's music? She's played it safe so far and probably won't be slowing down at all, in that sense.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    inia wrote: »
    Some people here seem to think being a legend equals making a lot of dough and taking number 1 spots. No, being a legend means a lot more than that. Like, having some revolutionary qualities that (can) change the game. What is so revolutionary about Beyonce's music? She's played it safe so far and probably won't be slowing down at all, in that sense.

That's some real ? right there... that's what I tell people all the time

This chick IMO should go and work with some legendary song-writers and producers (Babyface, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Q-Tip, Raphael Saadiq...) and I promise you, they'll produce a TRUE CLASSIC for her

She's made enough dough to care if she bombs or not...
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    she's no legend...she doesn't make music that will be timeless..she won't even be able to tour when she's old b/c she won't be able to shake her ass 4 ever
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    as a matter of fact..when the ass shakin stops her career is over..
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She leans more to legendary, than overrated. My only problem with her is she does the same bull over and over.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She has about two solo songs (Crazy In Love and Single Ladies) that I think will probably be remembered by people in ten or twenty years time. Apart from that and looking good she's utterly forgettable, both musically and the personality she portrays through the media (compare an interview with her to an interview with Kelly Rowland). She can sing and shake her ? on stage better than most women but she hasn't really made the type of impact someone like Madonna or even Lady Gaga (during her short time in the spotlight) have made. Her currently being held up so high is probably due to the competition (i.e. mainstream female singers) around her being so poor right now more than her music and talent. She's done nothing daring and like what's been said already her music isn't exactly the most challenging or adventurous. She said how she'd love to work with Of Montreal which I think would be great to see the results of, but you just know she'd never have the ? to go through with it and actually do something like that.

When critics produce their favourite end of year albums you'll always see someone like Erykah Badu from the RnB world on their lists but you never see anything by Beyonce mentioned simply because her material on a whole isn't good enough to be mentioned regardless of whether a few people on an internet forum think she's a legend or not. At least with Lady Gaga her Fame Monster album is just consistently potential hit single after potential hit single and is actually pretty good and Madonna (who herself has taken loads of risks with her music over the years) could always fall onto her Ray Of Light album to back her up for 'artistic credibility' along with her countless hits over the past 20 or so years. To me Beyonce's just very vanilla and even comparing her to Solange who tends to go more leftfield with her music (if she's performing ? Projector tracks or sampling someone like Boards Of Canada or Thievery Corporation) simply because she has nothing to lose it just becomes even more apparent how vanilla she really is

So is Beyonce 'legendary'? Right now I'd say definitely not. In the Pop world there probably isn't many other artists touching her at the moment when it comes to singing and solo live performances but I wouldn't regard her as a legend, just massively popular. Nothing about her makes me think she's one the best to ever do it. It's not hate before some idiot on here accuses me of 'hating on her', I'm just saying it how I see it. Ask me again in ten years time though and it could be a different answer... that's my opinion on the subject anyway
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The same ? you haters are saying about Beyonce is the same ? they said about Dianna Ross and Whitney Houston, and doubt you all would question their greatness. Not every artist is gonna make THE MISEDUCATION OF LAURYN HILL type music, the entire music industry can't sound the same. Beyonce has her lane and all these other chicks are chasing her (Keri,Ciara,Ashanti,etc)
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Both. She's a legend but she is also overrated. If that makes sense....
  • blatin35
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    The same ? you haters are saying about Beyonce is the same ? they said about Dianna Ross and Whitney Houston, and doubt you all would question their greatness. Not every artist is gonna make THE MISEDUCATION OF LAURYN HILL type music, the entire music industry can't sound the same. Beyonce has her lane and all these other chicks are chasing her (Keri,Ciara,Ashanti,etc)

And that's why she wont be a legend.
    .Those other chicks can't be chasing Beyonce because Beyonce is not original.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She has massive potential to be a great singer... but now it looks like its the cheese that matters
  • BlaqueHoney01
    BlaqueHoney01 Members Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She has about two solo songs (Crazy In Love and Single Ladies) that I think will probably be remembered by people in ten or twenty years time. Apart from that and looking good she's utterly forgettable, both musically and the personality she portrays through the media (compare an interview with her to an interview with Kelly Rowland). She can sing and shake her ? on stage better than most women but she hasn't really made the type of impact someone like Madonna or even Lady Gaga (during her short time in the spotlight) have made. Her currently being held up so high is probably due to the competition (i.e. mainstream female singers) around her being so poor right now more than her music and talent. She's done nothing daring and like what's been said already her music isn't exactly the most challenging or adventurous. She said how she'd love to work with Of Montreal which I think would be great to see the results of, but you just know she'd never have the ? to go through with it and actually do something like that.

When critics produce their favourite end of year albums you'll always see someone like Erykah Badu from the RnB world on their lists but you never see anything by Beyonce mentioned simply because her material on a whole isn't good enough to be mentioned regardless of whether a few people on an internet forum think she's a legend or not. At least with Lady Gaga her Fame Monster album is just consistently potential hit single after potential hit single and is actually pretty good and Madonna (who herself has taken loads of risks with her music over the years) could always fall onto her Ray Of Light album to back her up for 'artistic credibility' along with her countless hits over the past 20 or so years. To me Beyonce's just very vanilla and even comparing her to Solange who tends to go more leftfield with her music (if she's performing ? Projector tracks or sampling someone like Boards Of Canada or Thievery Corporation) simply because she has nothing to lose it just becomes even more apparent how vanilla she really is

So is Beyonce 'legendary'? Right now I'd say definitely not. In the Pop world there probably isn't many other artists touching her at the moment when it comes to singing and solo live performances but I wouldn't regard her as a legend, just massively popular. Nothing about her makes me think she's one the best to ever do it. It's not hate before some idiot on here accuses me of 'hating on her', I'm just saying it how I see it. Ask me again in ten years time though and it could be a different answer... that's my opinion on the subject anyway

This right here is what I think about her. In my opinion, Beyonce can be easily replicated.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    she got a long way to become a legend...ill say mariah carey is a legend,.,,,but beyonce noooooooooooooo

she's still young and got more years ahead of her that's like saying.....nikki minaj is a legend
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She's well on her way. I don't like her music personally but you can't deny her impact or influence over the past 10 years.
  • magic_b
    magic_b Members Posts: 282
    edited April 2010
    Options
    haute wrote: »

overrated??? No

legandary??? No

you need more than hits to become legandary

Prince is legandary, and beyonce has some ways to go to get there

This woman speaks the truth. I'll just add to this by saying she is a bit overexposed.
  • blatin35
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She's well on her way. I don't like her music personally but you can't deny her impact or influence over the past 10 years.

That would make her more of an Icon..
  • Persis
    Persis Members Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Options
    no.
    i would never call her an legend (not yet anyway)

only liked 1 of her performances (and that was a tribute to Michael Jackson, that really touched me)

see that means that she really got a good voice and everything, but just doesn't use it good, musically.
    I agree with the people that say she's too poppy and for the mainstream. i think thats my problem with her, too.
  • Curtwill
    Curtwill Members Posts: 7
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A future Legend. One of the things that I feel makes one an a legend is the influence that you have future artists coming into the industry and Beyoncè has those things. Not to mention, the love she gets from those who have come before her also. When you have people like Paul McCartney saying that if it is good enough for Beyonce to perform on XFACTOR then it is good enough for him. That's a perfect example of what I am saying.

I can see that a lot of people(as per usual on most boards), don't like Bey or her music but her legacy speaks for itself. Whether you like it or not.
  • Curtwill
    edited May 2010
    Options
    she got a long way to become a legend...ill say mariah carey is a legend,.,,,but beyonce noooooooooooooo

she's still young and got more years ahead of her that's like saying.....nikki minaj is a legend

That's going too far.
  • Curtwill
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Absolutely and the Lauryn Hill "types" all RESPECT Beyoncè. Even when India.Arie criticize the Telephone video, she talked about how great Bey's voice is. Not to mention, she(India) cover Me, Myself and I. People just don't know how much influence and respect Bey has on the industry right now.

Not to mention, there is always this mindset with some critics that don't like mainstream music and ALWAYS feel that non-commercial music is better just to be "rebellious". So even critical approval or disapproval is not really reflective on how good an album is. Not every critic was enthusiatic about Thriller. Besides, USUALLY Beyoncé usually gets Generally favorable reviews anyways. It's not like she gets bad reviews across the board.