J. Cole vs Drake Debate: Which Album is Better Cole World or Thank Me Later

Options

Comments

• biggar
    biggar Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I've been ? with both of them since the start. Cole with the Come Up, and Drake with Room for Improvement. And Drake seems to be getting better and Cole isnt.

I thought TML was alright. Too much Young Money influence ? it up. If he let him and his crew produce the whole thing it wouldve been 10 times better.

Cole World is average to me. The fact that half the songs were already on mixtapes and the songs that werent were basically talking bout the same thing. I think Cole is a great rapper just wish he'd get off these chick records cause its obviously not his lane
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    j cole slight edge due to more substance. both 3/5 albums to me.
  • Power n Glory
    Power n Glory Members Posts: 18
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Drake is the better artist and his album is better. He knows how to make music which is ironic since Cole is the one that can actually produce. But Drake writes better songs.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    For some reason in 2011 people are too scared to admit they listen to Drake songs more than j Cole for fear of being ridiculed by someone who's typing on the same internet message board as you, so by default they will choose J Cole.

Drake >> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> J Cole as an artst. It's not even close, and I like J Cole.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    For some reason in 2011 people are too scared to admit they listen to Drake songs more than j Cole for fear of being ridiculed by someone who's typing on the same internet message board as you, so by default they will choose J Cole.

Drake >> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> J Cole as an artst. It's not even close, and I like J Cole.

I've said this repeatedly, but Cole had the better debut. Name me some songs off TML as good as:

"Gods Gift", "Dollar and a Dream 3", "Rise and Shine" or "Nobodys Perfect". TML sounded like a manufactured album, there was no soul in it. Drake is better than Cole, and I'm gonna buy "Take Care" just like I did "Sideline Story", but TML was a huge dissapointment for anyone who's been listening to Drake before "So Far Gone".
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I guess i'm a rare breed of hip hop fans who doesn't mind Drake. He's a soft MC no doubt but so was LL. He gives hip hop another dimension and allows females to get involved in the culture. His antics outside of music are different story, but i don't focus on him outside of music. TML was average, but it's just as i expected it.

Cole World is pretty good. It has some decent songs with good content. His production has gotten a little bit better on some of his tracks on there too. I like the Title tracks and ? 's Gift. However, i think his mixtape material sounded more natural than some of his album tracks, especially that garbage song he did with Jay-Z. "Who Dat" should have made the album also.

Cole World >>>> Thank Me Later. Both artists are decent but they are weak. They both let the industry change their styles & visions. They should have stayed independent.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    I've said this repeatedly, but Cole had the better debut. Name me some songs off TML as good as:

"Gods Gift", "Dollar and a Dream 3", "Rise and Shine" or "Nobodys Perfect". TML sounded like a manufactured album, there was no soul in it. Drake is better than Cole, and I'm gonna buy "Take Care" just like I did "Sideline Story", but TML was a huge dissapointment for anyone who's been listening to Drake before "So Far Gone".

honestly up all night, light up, the song with lil wayne , and the song with young jeezy and over are all better than the stand out tracks on sideline story , production wise, and songwriting wise plus they were memorable
  • lamontbdc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    I guess i'm a rare breed of hip hop fans who doesn't mind Drake. He's a soft MC no doubt but so was LL. He gives hip hop another dimension and allows females to get involved in the culture. His antics outside of music are different story, but i don't focus on him outside of music. TML was average, but it's just as i expected it.

Cole World is pretty good. It has some decent songs with good content. His production has gotten a little bit better on some of his tracks on there too. I like the Title tracks and ? 's Gift. However, i think his mixtape material sounded more natural than some of his album tracks, especially that garbage song he did with Jay-Z. "Who Dat" should have made the album also.

Cole World >>>> Thank Me Later. Both artists are decent but they are weak. They both let the industry change their styles & visions. They should have stayed independent.

exactly mixtape ? seemed more authentic to a point. that track with jay is just all over the place. i mean a j cole track about nice watches just didn't fit
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    honestly up all night, light up, the song with lil wayne , and the song with young jeezy and over are all better than the stand out tracks on sideline story , production wise, and songwriting wise plus they were memorable

Up all Night- You can't be serious

Light Up- Maybe

Miss Me- I'm not gonna adress this one

Unforgettable is the best song on TML, but Drake got outshined by Jeezy, who many don't even consider a legitimate rapper. ? JEEZY. You reaching out here, breh
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thank Me Later>>>Illmatic
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    Up all Night- You can't be serious

Light Up- Maybe

Miss Me- I'm not gonna adress this one

Unforgettable is the best song on TML, but Drake got outshined by Jeezy, who many don't even consider a legitimate rapper. ? JEEZY. You reaching out here, breh

Those songs didn't sound like them cats were coasting , they didn't sound lazy , they sounded like songs you would get off drakes mixtapes . Now Getting

out shined>>>>>>>>>>>>coasting . I listened to the songs you named off j.cole album and eight hours later i couldn't even remember them . I don't like wayne or nicki

but they atleast left an impression.

good job on them songs .
  • JokerzWyld
    edited September 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    exactly mixtape ? seemed more authentic to a point. that track with jay is just all over the place. i mean a j cole track about nice watches just didn't fit

That's truth. I think a song like "Heartache" could have been a dope single. I mean it was upbeat, Cole was spittin, and it wasn't at all corny IMO. Tracks like any of the "Simbas" could have been dope street singles on his album. Hell, "Return of Simba" could have been a great intro to his album. After listening to The Come Up or The Warm Up which sound like independent albums more than mixtapes, i just feel that Cole World had a heavier industry/radio influence on it, and not in a good way.
  • lamontbdc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That's truth. I think a song like "Heartache" could have been a dope single. I mean it was upbeat, Cole was spittin, and it wasn't at all corny IMO. Tracks like any of the "Simbas" could have been dope street singles on his album. Hell, "Return of Simba" could have been a great intro to his album. After listening to The Come Up or The Warm Up which sound like independent albums more than mixtapes, i just feel that Cole World had a heavier industry/radio influence on it, and not in a good way.

? around on a major label they gonna force you to do some ? that has that radio influence. at the end of the day Cole signing to a major in part b/c he wanted the fame and radio play. It's tough to balance that ? out.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Neither has any depth or replay value for me, not even worth comparing
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cole World hands down....I don't think Thank Me Later has a a song on it as good as "Breakdown"....that song is absolutely amazing....
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    in think both of their sophmore albums will be better than their debuts becuz they learned about the mistakes from their first ones.
  • BossIntellect
    BossIntellect Members Posts: 382
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Why does it always seem like the IC are always putting two completely different artist in some sorta competition. But, to answer the question, I think CWSS is wayy better lyrically. Musically maybe not...

Drake=Jay-Z
    J.Cole=Nas
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

How did WHO DAT do? lol He gave ya'll the hard street song first and it never took off like that and the same ? ? he rapped on his debut album are subject matter he touched on his mixtapes. Of course the retail album is gonna be a little more polished, the man ain't trying to be no ? underground hero and starving artist. He has said multiple ? times he wants to be mainstream and people need to get off this idea that everything indy/underground is great and all mainstream is wack. It's about walking the line and balance to me, as much as i like substance raps, i like a little ignorance too.
  • lamontbdc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Why does it always seem like the IC are always putting two completely different artist in some sorta competition. But, to answer the question, I think CWSS is wayy better lyrically. Musically maybe not...

Drake=Jay-Z
    J.Cole=Nas

you say this and then you compare drake to jay z?
  • Who Cares???
    Who Cares??? Members Posts: 1,167
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? need to stop trying to compare Drake to LL. As a big LL fan this ? is bogus. Never in his prime was LL considered an R&B rapper unless you were naive to his music. He had tremendous balance. Thats why in raps most competitive era, LL could drop love ballads and still get tremendous respect. ? knew he could spit that ? . Ask Canabis. Thats why ? could call himself GOAT and nobody say ? . Can you imagine Drake battling a rapper of Canabis ability? And winning? No day.
  • JokerzWyld
    edited September 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    How did WHO DAT do? lol He gave ya'll the hard street song first and it never took off like that and the same ? ? he rapped on his debut album are subject matter he touched on his mixtapes. Of course the retail album is gonna be a little more polished, the man ain't trying to be no ? underground hero and starving artist. He has said multiple ? times he wants to be mainstream and people need to get off this idea that everything indy/underground is great and all mainstream is wack. It's about walking the line and balance to me, as much as i like substance raps, i like a little ignorance too.

First of all, stop quoting me because you're too easy to son in this forum. Second J. Cole has said multiple times that he wants to release a classic album. Classic albums are natural and relative artistically to the artists who crafts them. Nas showed you the kid in the projects on Illmatic; Jay-Z showed the hustla on Reasonable Doubt; Biggie showed you the drug dealer in the streets on Ready To Die; what does Cole show us? Is he showing us anything legendary? Does he have anything that outshines his classic mixtape material that set the tone for his career? You imply that he doesn't want to entertain his underground appeal but tell me what material has he been touring with? He can't do a whole set with only 3 mainstream singles?? ? outta here marine.

As far as you alluding that "Who Dat" wasn't that successful, that's subjective, but for the sake of conversation let's assume that it wasn't. With that said, does J. Cole sound more like himself on "Who Dat" or "Mr. Nice Watch"?? Well since you like charts so much let's put your argument in a language you can understand: Nelly's "Just A Dream" peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, but his album 5.0 sold 63,000 copies first week. Jay-Z & K. West had "Otis" as their official single and it peaked at 12 on the same chart and their album sold 438,000 first week. Nobody knows how a single's performance on the charts will sell an album in the stores. Stop trying to predict what's hot based on radio spins and let an artist do his art. PERIOD.
  • JokerzWyld
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? need to stop trying to compare Drake to LL. As a big LL fan this ? is bogus. Never in his prime was LL considered an R&B rapper unless you were naive to his music. He had tremendous balance. Thats why in raps most competitive era, LL could drop love ballads and still get tremendous respect. ? knew he could spit that ? . Ask Canabis. Thats why ? could call himself GOAT and nobody say ? . Can you imagine Drake battling a rapper of Canabis ability? And winning? No day.

It's not a reach, they have similar styles and cater to a similar audience. They also provoked similar reactions from fans. Cats were hating on LL after 10 came out because they thought it was too soft. LL dropped ballads and spit aggressive on tracks right? Doesn't Drake do the same. He doesn't sing on every song. He gets aggressive on some tracks. The same can be said about Ja Rule. He wasn't completely soft either, but the fact that could switch in between said styles adds more dimension to hip hop.

That is one of the softest songs ever. Nothing wrong with it, it's just soft.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    First of all, stop quoting me because you're too easy to son in this forum. Second J. Cole has said multiple times that he wants to release a classic album. Classic albums are natural and relative artistically to the artists who crafts them. Nas showed you the kid in the projects on Illmatic; Jay-Z showed the hustla on Reasonable Doubt; Biggie showed you the drug dealer in the streets on Ready To Die; what does Cole show us? Is he showing us anything legendary? Does he have anything that outshines his classic mixtape material that set the tone for his career? You imply that he doesn't want to entertain his underground appeal but tell me what material has he been touring with? He can't do a whole set with only 3 mainstream singles?? ? outta here marine.

As far as you alluding that "Who Dat" wasn't that successful, that's subjective, but for the sake of conversation let's assume that it wasn't. With that said, does J. Cole sound more like himself on "Who Dat" or "Mr. Nice Watch"?? Well since you like charts so much let's put your argument in a language you can understand: Nelly's "Just A Dream" peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, but his album 5.0 sold 63,000 copies first week. Jay-Z & K. West had "Otis" as their official single and it peaked at 12 on the same chart and their album sold 438,000 first week. Nobody knows how a single's performance on the charts will sell an album in the stores. Stop trying to predict what's hot based on radio spins and let an artist do his art. PERIOD.

First of all, stop all that tough talk when you mom still irons your clothes for you. Second this album hasn't even technically dropped yet and it's too early to determine whether or not it's a classic album (good album to me). What does Cole show, he showed a storytelling element of hiphop that has been dead for years. Is he showing us legendary, maybe that's your ? problem you go into albums expecting unrealistic ? . How about you go into music with no expectations and appreciate a project for what it is, a good album then let it marinate years later to see whether something is legendary. For all your legendary yapping, i don't remember anyone claiming Reasonable Doubt, COllege Dropout,etc legendary when it first dropped. It took some years for people to truly appreciate the album. Yes Cole World SIdeline Story is easily better than Warm Up and FNL, much more polished album than both. Sonically it ? on FNL, songwriting wise (concept, hooks, choruses, execution), and flow of the album it's better. FNL and Warm Up are mixtapes for a reason, the fat wasn't trimmed from those albums and they weren't sequenced like his album was.

Who Dat wasn't successful, there is no subjective debate about that compared to a song like say a GET AT ME DOG or AMILLI by X and Game that wasn't commercial and crossed over. Does he sound like himself, that would be a question for J Cole to answer because it sounds to me you're trying to put him in a box. He addressed this in a interview a few days ago, about how undergound fans want him to keep making Warm Up and FNL over and over, and that in order for him to grow he has to do songs like WORK OUT, MR. NICE WATCH,etc so he doesn't box himself in. He can't be affraid to try something different or else that' how you fall off as a artist, the reason why people like Kanye,Jay,Wayne,etc are successful is because they keep their core fanbase happy with the ? they like but aren't afraid to try something different.

My whole point is, STOP TRYING TO PUT ARTIST IN YOUR LITTLE ASS BOX. If a artist tries something and fail, good but atleast they can say they tried. How many ? COllege Dropout, Reasonable Doubt or All Falls DOwn, Dead President can a artist make over and over. Let the artist be able to try a STRONGER, BIG PIMPING,etc.
  • MusicSince83
    MusicSince83 Members Posts: 55
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cole album is better overall but both wont stand the the of time. A far as debuts go, saigons album is much better than Cole's
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

Drake=Jay-Z
    J.Cole=Nas

dont disrespect cole like that