Should they deployThe National Guard in Chicago?

Options
Madam Speaker
Madam Speaker Members Posts: 259
edited April 2010 in The Social Lounge

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/26/lawmakers-military-quell-chicago-violence/?test=latestnews

CHICAGO -- Two lawmakers who believe violence has become so rampant in Chicago that the Illinois National Guard must be called in to help made a public plea to Gov. Pat Quinn on Sunday to deploy troops.

A recent surge in violent crime, including a night last week that saw seven people killed and 18 wounded -- mostly by gunfire -- prompted the request from Chicago Democratic Reps. John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford. They were joined by Willie Williams, whose son was shot and killed in 2006.

Chicago has had 113 homicide victims so far this year, Fritchey said.

"As we speak, National Guard members are working side-by-side with our troops to fight a war halfway around the world," he said during a news conference in downtown Chicago. "The unfortunate reality is that we have another war that is just as deadly that is taking place right in our backyard."

Fritchey said later that the proposal wasn't a "no confidence" vote toward police.

"I think the police have done a commendable job in fighting this surge in violence, but I also think they could use some well-trained help," he said. "The reality is that (police) department resources are stretched thin."

A message left for Quinn wasn't returned Sunday.

Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis said he didn't think the National Guard was the best answer, noting that police focus on civilian law enforcement.

"I appreciate their frustration and their willingness to help," he said after Fritchey and Ford's news conference. "But I am simply not sure the National Guard is the answer to our problems -- at least in terms of mass deployment. I'm frankly not sure what their mission would be."

Weis said most of the violent crime has been focused in areas that represent only 9 percent of the city. Last week, he said the department was improving its gang intelligence, developing new computer programs and creating a mobile strike force of about 100 officers to try to quell the violence, which has been largely confined to the city's south and west sides.

Fritchey said guard members have been trained in civil law enforcement as part of their nation-building assignments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Deploying the guard also would make economic sense, considering the near-crisis in state finances, he said.

"We don't have the dollars to hire additional officers, but in the National Guard we have men and women on hand who are trained to deal with these situations," he said.

Weis questioned how much training military personnel get in civilian law enforcement.

"I spent six years in the Army, and I never got any course on how or why to obtain a search warrant," Weis said. "That simply isn't part of the military mission, but it's something our officers have to deal with every day."

But he said he could he see a possible limited role for the National Guard in specialized fields, such as intelligence analysis and helicopter support.

In July 2008, after a similar surge in street crime, then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich suggested using the National Guard, but quickly backtracked, suggesting instead that bringing in Illinois State Police could help the Chicago's officers. Mayor Richard M. Daley and other city officials rejected the idea as poorly conceived, particularly in light of the state's fiscal difficulties.

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yea, thats what these young dumb ? need, someone with bigger guns to chill their ? out and wake the ? up.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So how is that gun ban working out for you? lol...

If I was a conspiracy man, I would say isn't it pretty coincidental that they first take the guns away from their citizens and are now bringing in a military like force to maintain order? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

cosign.......
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, they tried that ? here in New Orleans, we had the NG here for a few years actually...thousands of them. Needless the say crime just increase. The NG dont really get much authority to do anything so it's just a presence.

A police state wont do anything. Why is people's first reaction a police state??!
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yea, thats what these young dumb ? need, someone with bigger guns to chill their ? out and wake the ? up.

Really??? u really think thats the solution???
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    Really??? u really think thats the solution???

If people dont have the mental capacity to not run around killing each other and nothing else has been working then yea, bring someone with bigger guns and start killin til the ? stops. Its not close to new orleanz the crime stemmed from a disaster, chicago wasnt blown up or flooded, its just a bunch of ignorant lil ? thinkin they grown men with a gun in their hand. If they dont wanna obey law and they stay killin each other and innocent people start to be affected then yea go up in their and send a ? message.
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited April 2010
    Options
    na you gotta sit em down.. and talk to em.. ja..

listen i live in Camden, NJ.. if you dont know bout it- google it.. murder capital of the world.. next to philly.. which is across the river.. 10 minutes away..
    you have to lock em up and send em away for years and years.. most of it is cuz of youguns.. OGs actually fellback and are more positive.. Prison aint the solution cuz 9 out of 10 times they will worse.. but bringin the national guard will make their ego bigger.. like 'yo, ? cant handle us, they gotta bring tha army to get us???' either or its coming outta your pocket..

what camden cops do.. is let them ? each other.. jaja.. we step in when the innocent gets tapped..
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Wow........Chicago is ? .
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If people dont have the mental capacity to not run around killing each other and nothing else has been working then yea, bring someone with bigger guns and start killin til the ? stops. Its not close to new orleanz the crime stemmed from a disaster, chicago wasnt blown up or flooded, its just a bunch of ignorant lil ? thinkin they grown men with a gun in their hand. If they dont wanna obey law and they stay killin each other and innocent people start to be affected then yea go up in their and send a ? message.

and make a problem worst than it all ready is.............the City needs more money and More COps...........yea, i said it, Cops.........i hate them too tbut they have there Purpose in Society, to Police and enforce law and order............thats Baslicy How We (NYC) kept our Crime Rate down to Reasonbkle Numbers, They Sent out more cops In Crazy spots. In the 90's when we was buggin out We was kinda broke............The more Money we had the ther more we were able to get More funding for Cops...........put more cops on the Street, More dudes gettin arrested, knocking Out The Mafia, Gangs (LK Was huge at the time) and other organized crime syndicates and ? started to Chnage............Dont get it twisted, its still kinda Crazy over here (Murder rate shot up 25% from last yr and is shootin up more) but like i said b4 its Reasonable............I think thats What the Govment needs to do over in CHi-town...........Now on our end, we need to teach this lil niggsas that Shootin up over on hoods is not cool,l its not wats up............We r polluting our own hoods with this Craziness
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    na you gotta sit em down.. and talk to em.. ja..

listen i live in Camden, NJ.. if you dont know bout it- google it.. murder capital of the world.. next to philly.. which is across the river.. 10 minutes away..
    you have to lock em up and send em away for years and years.. most of it is cuz of youguns.. OGs actually fellback and are more positive.. Prison aint the solution cuz 9 out of 10 times they will worse.. but bringin the national guard will make their ego bigger.. like 'yo, ? cant handle us, they gotta bring tha army to get us???' either or its coming outta your pocket..

what camden cops do.. is let them ? each other.. jaja.. we step in when the innocent gets tapped..

yea........Camden is real..........
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The National Guard? Nah, we need the TALIBAN to come to Chicago and straighten these "tough guys" out. Trust me, these little so-called gangsters don't want NO problems with Al Qaeda.
  • outlawd
    outlawd Members Posts: 89
    edited April 2010
    Options
    being from Chicago i'd say its not a bad idea....? is wild in chicago & aint nobody talking to them gona make a difference....nigaz go to jail & that dont make a difference so what is sumone giving a speech gona do!?

what it needs is infrastructure & jobs to give to these cats. its the hungry ? thats shooting cuz ? aint got shti & they hurting & willing to take it anyway they have too.!!

hit the Chi with more jobs
  • mello fello
    mello fello Members Posts: 6
    edited April 2010
    Options
    IT wont fix the problem. They need to get to the root of the problem which is inequality and concentrated poverty and dysfunction.
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited April 2010
    Options
    whats gonna happen is.. like i said before hand.. cops are only gonna show up in true emergencies.. let them ? each other.. gangs are gonna control the blocks.. aint nuttin you could do to fix such problems cuz people are ignorant.. and juss dont understand.. once you lose a life, its done.. juss like that.. only takes half a second to get clipped..

if you really want the drama to stop, move out.. your juss as ignorant if your complainin about the murders.. and still raising your kids in a murder-infested environment.. digg..

bring the army.. bring taliban.. guarantee you itll make ? worse.. vote for me for mayor of chicago.. jaja.. youll learn from all the corrupt politicians in jersey how to handle these younguns..
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

lmao Cops in big cities all across America already carry military grade weaponry, hell Ive seen cops posted up on the block with AR-15's and I live in little tiny ass Niagara Falls. Chicago has been ? up since the 1800's, this aint nothing new. Bigger guns is not the solution. Its like dude said, there needs to be a massive restructuring of the economy of the inner city and massive group therapy for muh fuckas that have lost it.
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options

And whats that message? Stop the violence or I'll blow your ? head off!! lmao
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    .. but bringin the national guard will make their ego bigger.. like 'yo, ? cant handle us, they gotta bring tha army to get us???' either or its coming outta your pocket..

extremely true
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The National Guard? Nah, we need the TALIBAN to come to Chicago and straighten these "tough guys" out. Trust me, these little so-called gangsters don't want NO problems with Al Qaeda.

I LOL'd....
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it wont fix the problem. They need to get to the root of the problem which is inequality and concentrated poverty and dysfunction.

this^^^^^^^^^^^
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Funky Dr wrote: »
    lmao Cops in big cities all across America already carry military grade weaponry, hell Ive seen cops posted up on the block with AR-15's and I live in little tiny ass Niagara Falls. Chicago has been ? up since the 1800's, this aint nothing new. Bigger guns is not the solution. Its like dude said, there needs to be a massive restructuring of the economy of the inner city and massive group therapy for muh fuckas that have lost it.

Cops arent doing ? they havent tried doin ? except lockin people up, they have the guns but dont do ? with em, all lockin em up do is teach em ? they didnt know and trains them to be a better criminal when they come out, and my bad for not knowing every single gang bangin hoodlum is poor, cant find a job, and has a solid education. Whats the excuse for the good majority of blacks in Chicago who dont resort to gang violence? Theyre ? and got jobs? Shut up with the ? they aint all bangin cause the economy they doin it cause they got a lil gun and its easier to rob and sell d than it is to work 8 hours a ? day. Bring in someone that will use the ? guns, ? of them who act like ? idiots and the problem is solved. ? people payin more taxes than they already do to send them to therapy, ? sendin more cops to stand around and watch, the arresting and protesting aint work, go blow someones ? head off n let them know you aint playin with the ? no more.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That is what the National Guard has been trained to do. They most definitely want to do it. But best believe all you who say yes, will be catching it too. They are not going to just go after gang members, but any body they see and have been trained is an enemy(read black people) will be catching it too. Soldiers are not trained to differentiate between gangs and non gangs. They are trained to enforce law and order by any means neccesary.

When they start busting down your doors like they do in every military zone and those unstable, evil ones in their start killing innocent people and ? your daughters then I bet you will think twice about having uncivilized people with guns and authority in civilian locations. Ask the Iraqis, Palestinians, and Afghanis.

Move factories abroad, build more prisons in rural areas(read poor white people), so they can have jobs. They have prisons that are empty and they equal roughly the black male population. They don't build structures unless they plan to utilize them.

The Biggest mistake the professional, law abiding Jewish citizens made in ? Germany, was they were under Illusion that the German Authorites only wanted to quell disruptions in the ghetto among the poor Jews. Until they found themselves right along with their poor brothers headed off to concentration camps.

I wonder if history will repeat itself?
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Cops arent doing ? they havent tried doin ? except lockin people up, they have the guns but dont do ? with em, all lockin em up do is teach em ? they didnt know and trains them to be a better criminal when they come out, and my bad for not knowing every single gang bangin hoodlum is poor, cant find a job, and has a solid education. Whats the excuse for the good majority of blacks in Chicago who dont resort to gang violence? Theyre ? and got jobs? Shut up with the ? they aint all bangin cause the economy they doin it cause they got a lil gun and its easier to rob and sell d than it is to work 8 hours a ? day. Bring in someone that will use the ? guns, ? of them who act like ? idiots and the problem is solved. ? people payin more taxes than they already do to send them to therapy, ? sendin more cops to stand around and watch, the arresting and protesting aint work, go blow someones ? head off n let them know you aint playin with the ? no more.

Right, because cops randomly blowing people's heads off works so well in SOUTH AMERICA.... SMH

Poverty breeds crime, this is a known fact. Eliminate poverty you eliminate mainly street crime. That is a fact.
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    That is what the National Guard has been trained to do. They most definitely want to do it. But best believe all you who say yes, will be catching it too. They are not going to just go after gang members, but any body they see and have been trained is an enemy(read black people) will be catching it too. Soldiers are not trained to differentiate between gangs and non gangs. They are trained to enforce law and order by any means neccesary.

When they start busting down your doors like they do in every military zone and those unstable, evil ones in their start killing innocent people and ? your daughters then I bet you will think twice about having uncivilized people with guns and authority in civilian locations. Ask the Iraqis, Palestinians, and Afghanis.

Move factories abroad, build more prisons in rural areas(read poor white people), so they can have jobs. They have prisons that are empty and they equal roughly the black male population. They don't build structures unless they plan to utilize them.

The Biggest mistake the professional, law abiding Jewish citizens made in ? Germany, was they were under Illusion that the German Authorites only wanted to quell disruptions in the ghetto among the poor Jews. Until they found themselves right along with their poor brothers headed off to concentration camps.

I wonder if history will repeat itself?

It always does.
  • Funky Dr
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ChozenWun, this isnt a ? Harry movie, all that vigilante ? doesn't work in real life. It only makes anti violence people look like hyppocrites. Dont ? or we'll ? you. SMH Stupid logic.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Funky Dr wrote: »
    Right, because cops randomly blowing people's heads off works so well in SOUTH AMERICA.... SMH

Poverty breeds crime, this is a known fact. Eliminate poverty you eliminate mainly street crime. That is a fact.

What else is there to do, peaceful resolutions have not worked, fixing the economic situation will not work. If the economy drove violence into how it is there now then it would be alot more people than what there is commiting the murders. Im glad you think that those who ? and ? are only doing it because of the economy and that no one joins gangs because it looks cool or they would rather make big money the easy way instead of working for ? . Those in poverty do at times resort to robbing to feed their family, the ? in Chicago is way beyond that. All this money ? is so people dont have to ? accept that these people are responsible for their own ? , again its easier to blame somone than it is to control your own life.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Chicago has always been violent, doesn't matter the color. but I will say this, when governments were working with the Conservative Vice Lords things were a lot better. also, when they threw the book at Larry Hoover in '95' its been chaotic ever since. the aforementioned could have straitened out these problems with the proper tools, but I know that ain't part of the plan.