Aliens MAY exist...

VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Social Lounge
Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking
AFP

Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking AFP/Getty Images/File – Aliens may exist but mankind should avoid contact with them as the consequences could be devastating, …

LONDON (AFP) – Aliens may exist but mankind should avoid contact with them as the consequences could be devastating, British scientist Stephen Hawking warned Sunday.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," said the astrophysicist in a new television series, according to British media reports.

The programmes depict an imagined universe featuring alien life forms in huge spaceships on the hunt for resources after draining their own planet dry.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach," warned Hawking.

The doomsday scenario is suggested in the series "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking" on the Discovery Channel, which began airing in the United States on Sunday.

On the probability of alien life existing, he says: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

"The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

Glowing squid-like creatures, herds of herbivores that can hang onto a cliff face and bright yellow predators that ? their prey with stinging tails are among the creatures that stalk the scientist's fantastical cosmos.

Mankind has already made a number of attempts to contact extraterrestrial civilisations.

In 2008, American space agency NASA beamed the Beatles song "Across the Universe" into deep space to send a message of peace to any alien that happens to be in the region of Polaris -- also known as the North Star -- in 2439.

But the history of humanity's efforts to contact aliens stretches back some years.

The US probes Pioneer 10 and 11 were launched in 1972 and 1973 bearing plaques of a naked man and woman and symbols seeking to convey the positions of the Earth and the Sun.

Voyager 1 and 2, launched in 1977, each carry a gold-plated copper phonogram disk with recordings of sounds and images on Earth.

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    I read this earlier today on yahoo, he is right in a way but I still think we should try to contact other life, the benefits of their technology or the benefits of our technology could be huge to one another, if a planet made it so far that they are able to travel in space and what not I seriously dont think theyd take issue with us if we werent threatening them, you dont advance so far if their race acts like us. I also agree with him other life does exist, mathematically space is just too big and for all we know goes on forever so theres no doubt other life is somewhere.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking
    AFP

Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking AFP/Getty Images/File – Aliens may exist but mankind should avoid contact with them as the consequences could be devastating, …

LONDON (AFP) – Aliens may exist but mankind should avoid contact with them as the consequences could be devastating, British scientist Stephen Hawking warned Sunday.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," said the astrophysicist in a new television series, according to British media reports.

The programmes depict an imagined universe featuring alien life forms in huge spaceships on the hunt for resources after draining their own planet dry.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach," warned Hawking.

The doomsday scenario is suggested in the series "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking" on the Discovery Channel, which began airing in the United States on Sunday.

On the probability of alien life existing, he says: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

"The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

Glowing squid-like creatures, herds of herbivores that can hang onto a cliff face and bright yellow predators that ? their prey with stinging tails are among the creatures that stalk the scientist's fantastical cosmos.

Mankind has already made a number of attempts to contact extraterrestrial civilisations.

In 2008, American space agency NASA beamed the Beatles song "Across the Universe" into deep space to send a message of peace to any alien that happens to be in the region of Polaris -- also known as the North Star -- in 2439.

But the history of humanity's efforts to contact aliens stretches back some years.

The US probes Pioneer 10 and 11 were launched in 1972 and 1973 bearing plaques of a naked man and woman and symbols seeking to convey the positions of the Earth and the Sun.

Voyager 1 and 2, launched in 1977, each carry a gold-plated copper phonogram disk with recordings of sounds and images on Earth.

Here they go again, subliminally trying to make Europeans the most adanved civilized people and acting like Any life in the universe capable of traveling through space would be as evil and viral as them. It's a scare tactic and I have a feeling they are trying to get people ready for some sort of fake global catastrophy involving E.T.'s where we will need 'come together' as one global nation to defend ourselves from these evil invaders from space lol.... I know this ? sounds like Hollywood, but in order to achieve their agenda, I wouldn't put it past them to attempt such a scam... I mean they pulled off 9/11, I think they are prety comfortable with trusting that people are stupid enough to believe anything the governments of the world tell them.
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited April 2010
    just look at it at this perspective.. we're in one galaxy with a universe with millions of galaxies.. their is no way in hell we are the only one living.. now if they visited us, to each his own.. could be.. i never seen one.. IF you did happen to see one.. i would stay away for the fact.. they probably got radiation or some ? .. or probably tryin to experiment on your ass to check out your anatomy!

this a reason why scientist arent to eager to start life on mars or whatever.. what if it bites them in the future? look at tha mayans, they had symbols of UFOs and ? .. supposedly they left with aliens..
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    just look at it at this perspective.. we're in one galaxy with a universe with millions of galaxies.. their is no way in hell we are the only one living.. now if they visited us, to each his own.. could be.. i never seen one.. IF you did happen to see one.. i would stay away for the fact.. they probably got radiation or some ? .. or probably tryin to experiment on your ass to check out your anatomy!

this a reason why scientist arent to eager to start life on mars or whatever.. what if it bites them in the future? look at tha mayans, they had symbols of UFOs and ? .. supposedly they left with aliens..

I dont think Mayans bouncing with the Aliens would have been such a bad thing, you know what the Spanish and Europeans did once they got there.
  • independentsoundlab
    edited April 2010
    and i dont think they should rush on alien contact.. i am in for finding planets that can hold life.. like human life..
    imagine, you visitin ya chick on the planet mars or some ? .. jaja.. im buggin.. but you knoww..
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Absolute rubbish. SMH @ people who believe in Aliens (who have never been seen) but yet they deny a Holy ? that rules in the heavens. Gods existence can clearly be seen in all of creation. Where is the evidence for Aliens existing? Just because there are an innumerable host of galaxies? Well duh, ? is the Lord of Hosts. He stretches out the heavens like a curtain. He made the heavens to declare His glory. The universe speaks of the greatness of ? , not the possibility of alien life.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Absolute rubbish. SMH @ people who believe in Aliens (who have never been seen) but yet they deny a Holy ? that rules in the heavens. Gods existence can clearly be seen in all of creation. Where is the evidence for Aliens existing? Just because there are an innumerable host of galaxies? Well duh, ? is the Lord of Hosts. He stretches out the heavens like a curtain. He made the heavens to declare His glory. The universe speaks of the greatness of ? , not the possibility of alien life.

I'll take the opinion of a genius like Stephen Hawkins over a religious nutjob any day......the universe is very huge, what makes you think we're the ONLY beings around? There's no way we're alone in this universe. I don't know if aliens out there are friendly or not, but honestly, I would want to communicate with them. Who knows, they may be very helpful to us.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010

Everything ? created holds a purpose, period, whether it be bad or good. Now you tell me this, what is the purpose of these billions of galaxies? Why are there billions and billions of planets? Some ALMOST similar to ours. Why are they there if no life is contained on them? (and by life I'm speaking in ANY term, it could be microscopic)
  • independentsoundlab
    edited April 2010
    Everything ? created holds a purpose, period, whether it be bad or good. Now you tell me this, what is the purpose of these billions of galaxies? Why are there billions and billions of planets? Some ALMOST similar to ours. Why are they there if no life is contained on them? (and by life I'm speaking in ANY term, it could be microscopic)

hey if you believe in ? , to each his own.. religion clearly disregards evolution and creation of planets through various ways NOT by ? .. if you gonna believe in a ? .. believe in the earth.. lol.. or sun.. no sun = death.. no earth = death.. the universe is created by gases and metals.. and all that ? .. unless ? was a scientist.. cant fool me.. look up the big bang theory.. it is a theory.. but a viable one.. look how stars explode creating galaxies, planets, and more stars, etc.. its a giant loop process.. for every star you see, may be orbitted by a planet..

there is life elsewhere.. but we dont have the technology to get there.. it might take 10 years juss to travel to jupitor with our technology.. lifetimes juss to travel to other galaxies..its clearly impossible now.. microscopic life is out there.. remember, earth wasnt created in 7 days.. it was destroyed plenty of times before you got what you got now.. what are tha chances their is a another planet thats going through what this planet went through? chances are good.. but you cant put ? in this..
  • Chike
    edited April 2010
    I don't think that is what he was hinting at all. He was just speculating the possibility nothing more I don't think Stephen Hawking is in some widespread conspiracy to make the population fearful and want to goto war with aliens lol. It's just a thought nothing more.

Secondly, Europeans weren't the only ones going around conquering people duke. Though that is a different discussion.

1) All 'mainstream' Scientists are a part of it, one way or another. There's no way they are that smart and know so much but are oblivious to what the ? is really going on. They are as much a spokesperson as people like Bill O'Reilly is...

2) I didn't say they were the only ones to conquer, I said they were the only ones to do what they did. In the past, mostly all wars were fought fairly and both sides were actually aware that they were at war. In this case with colonialism, the Europeans pretended to be allies with everyone before turning around and stabbing them in the back, as well as having weapons that gave them an unfair advantage. In addition, they used religion and psychology to further carry out their vicious and sinister agenda.... it was the only way to get people to agree with the treachery they were committing.

For example, 9/11 is basically the new version of "religion" in this sense that they needed a 'reason' to invade.... just like today.. and the people foolishly fell for it.
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Anything is possible. This lil white dude is incredibly smart.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    People fear what they dont understand. I see it playing out like Independence Day when people were shooting at the space ships when they first got here.

Humans would probably be the reason for the aliens to ? erbody up.
  • independentsoundlab
    edited April 2010
    thats humans for you.. i aint gonna front.. ill be in the frontline if i see em as a threat! but thats our problem as humans we too violent.. we dont know how to act.. i would rather not encounter an alien as a surprise visit.. more like a arranged meeting.. if you will.. jaja
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    I dont think Mayans bouncing with the Aliens would have been such a bad thing, you know what the Spanish and Europeans did once they got there.

would be cool if the mayans bounced with the aliens back then, in the meantime learned to fly their ufos and use the technology then come back in 2012 and take over the world
  • Chike
    edited April 2010

The fact that we exist gives us the hypothesis that there could be other life in the universe, considering, the Earth is a part of the universe, and we are a part of the earth, which makes us a part of the universe. To think we are the only possible living creatures in a universe that operates completely the same throughout it's entirety is just.... batshit crazy.. but then again, so is believing in a super man who lives outside the realm of the universe and treats us like an ant farm who wants to be worshipped by beings who mostlikely would not even be relevant to such a super being.

Also, if aliens exist, atleast we would be able to prove it in time with physical proof. ? ? We will never be able to prove since according to your religion, he will never reveal himself in the physical form and we will never see him until we die... how convenient.
  • Chike
    edited April 2010
    TimroD wrote: »
    would be cool if the mayans bounced with the aliens back then, in the meantime learned to fly their ufos and use the technology then come back in 2012 and take over the world

It could be possible that the Mayans WERE aliens and left when they knew ? was about to hit the fan with the European invasion. I mean they were very prophetic, so it's not unlikely that they knew what was about to happen.

As far as coming back in 2012 to stop the madness that is taking place... I could only pray hope wish and beg for such a blessing. All I know, if any aliens come trying to ? up our civilization and destroy western civilization... I'm definitely siding with them lol
  • independentsoundlab
    edited April 2010
    Yea.. and they did alot of sacrificial ? .. if aliens were like this.. then shiiittt...
    maybe the egyptians too.. anybody that can stone like that.. without power tools?? something to think about!
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited April 2010
    I'll take the opinion of a genius like Stephen Hawkins over a religious nutjob any day......the universe is very huge, what makes you think we're the ONLY beings around? There's no way we're alone in this universe. I don't know if aliens out there are friendly or not, but honestly, I would want to communicate with them. Who knows, they may be very helpful to us.

Your right we aren't alone in this universe. Spirit beings called Angels and Demons also exists in and out of this universe. According to ? , we were created a little lower than the angels. The heirarchy of creation is ? , angels, man, animals. Anything other than that is mans imagination and speculation.

Psalm 8 answers your question. ? bless.

1<> O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

2Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
    3When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
    4What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
    5For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
    6Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
    7All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
    8The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas. 9O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited April 2010

I underlined the answer to your question. Why can't we just believe ? and take His word for what it is?

"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." Revelation 4:11
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Yea.. and they did alot of sacrificial ? .. if aliens were like this.. then shiiittt...
    maybe the egyptians too.. anybody that can stone like that.. without power tools?? something to think about!

I know....some people believe aliens helped the Egyptians and the Mayans build those pyramids. After all, even in the year 2010, we still don't know exactly how they built those things, cuz we can't build pyramids ourselves. Some paintings in the ancient world showed things that looked like spacecraft, especially the Mayan ones.....if aliens believe in sacrifices too, I definitely don't wana ? with them, unless they promise not to hurt me or my family.
  • Chike
    edited April 2010

That wasn't the Mayans doing that sacrificing ? .... those were lies made up by the conquerors to justify their actions. Just like religion.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited April 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    The fact that we exist gives us the hypothesis that there could be other life in the universe, considering, the Earth is a part of the universe, and we are a part of the earth, which makes us a part of the universe. To think we are the only possible living creatures in a universe that operates completely the same throughout it's entirety is just.... batshit crazy.. but then again, so is believing in a super man who lives outside the realm of the universe and treats us like an ant farm who wants to be worshipped by beings who mostlikely would not even be relevant to such a super being.

Also, if aliens exist, atleast we would be able to prove it in time with physical proof. ? ? We will never be able to prove since according to your religion, he will never reveal himself in the physical form and we will never see him until we die... how convenient.

There are other creative intelligences that exists. Some seek to destroy humanity, Demons. The others help humanity, Angels. ? makes mention of no other creative intelligences existing in His universe other than Angels and Demons. Why can't we just believe ? ? Man always thinkg he knows more than the Creator. No wonder we got into this mess in the first place.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    I underlined the answer to your question. Why can't we just believe ? and take His word for what it is?

"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." Revelation 4:11

How do you know the words of the Bible are really true? Why not the Koran? Or the Torah? Or the church of John Coltrane? Why are you so ? certain the Bible is the ONE true word of ? when so many words in it were tainted and changed up by men?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited April 2010
    How do you know the words of the Bible are really true? Why not the Koran? Or the Torah? Or the church of John Coltrane? Why are you so ? certain the Bible is the ONE true word of ? when so many words in it were tainted and changed up by men?

Because I have been sanctified by truth. If you would give your life to Jesus Christ, you will receive truth as well. And the truth will set you free. Hallelujah!

"Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." John 17:17
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    Here they go again, subliminally trying to make Europeans the most adanved civilized people and acting like Any life in the universe capable of traveling through space would be as evil and viral as them. It's a scare tactic and I have a feeling they are trying to get people ready for some sort of fake global catastrophy involving E.T.'s where we will need 'come together' as one global nation to defend ourselves from these evil invaders from space lol.... I know this ? sounds like Hollywood, but in order to achieve their agenda, I wouldn't put it past them to attempt such a scam... I mean they pulled off 9/11, I think they are prety comfortable with trusting that people are stupid enough to believe anything the governments of the world tell them.

If you believe the government orchestrated 9/11 you are not allowed to make comments regarding intelligence and science.