abe lincoln: man or myth? hero or political opportunist?

Options
2»

Comments

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Anyone who brings a positive change (especially at a time like that) deserves his props.

*gives Lincoln his props*
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    political opportunist and a war monger..

? bless 'em for it. Those other ? wanted to "make peace" with Jefferson Davis.

And ALL POLITICIANS ARE POLITICAL OPPORTUNISTS.
  • elliott_argon
    elliott_argon Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i find it interesting (and this quote I couldn't find so easily, but, if anyone really needs the exact quote and source, i can get it) that lincoln once said in a speech, although immigrants may not have been a part of the founding of the u.s., immigrants were just as american the founders' descendants, yet, the very black folk who were here and built this country and fought in the revolutionary war and took the first bullets for this country were still being enslaved and being denied as americans. i find it interesting that lincoln was ready to ship black folks away to keep the union together, but willing to fight a war (which still has the record of most americans killed in war) to keep white folks from leaving

sorry so late on the response
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    powerful thread

im not even sure of my opinion on lincoln
    for what he did vs what he thought/believed
    he might as well be a political hero for political opportunists
    at the end of the day he:
    he signed the emancipation, saved the union and still got capped
    and after reading the quotes differences in blks & whts and superiority inferiority complex
    i can understand how/why andrew jackson was his runnin' mate and that dude had it in for blks when he was in office
    i used to question andrew jackson as his runnin mate cuz there is a heroic moral depiction/representation of lincoln in general and public school historic based studies
    so it is an eye opener not to mention frederick douglass' opinion on dude
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    emaculate wrote: »
    i can understand how/why andrew jackson was his runnin' mate and that dude had it in for blks when he was in office
    i used to question andrew jackson as his runnin mate cuz there is a heroic moral depiction/representation of lincoln in general and public school historic based studies
    Andrew Johnson, actually
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    powerful thread

im not even sure of my opinion on lincoln
    for what he did vs what he thought/believed
    he might as well be a political hero for political opportunists
    at the end of the day he:
    he signed the emancipation, saved the union and still got capped
    and after reading the quotes differences in blks & whts and superiority inferiority complex
    i can understand how/why andrew johnson* was his runnin' mate and that dude had it in for blks when he was in office
    i used to question andrew johnson* as his runnin mate cuz there is a heroic moral depiction/representation of lincoln in general and public school historic based studies
    janklow wrote: »
    Andrew Johnson, actually

*error corrected
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    *error corrected
    i must admit that came off a little harsher than i intended