Our kids see no Color/Race

Options
playmaker88
playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
(Ok before you Pseudo scientist come in here talking about Race is a social construct blah, blah,blah.. lets go with the social actuality.. instead of being technical.)

Im sure many have heard this phrase/statement uttered in person on Tv or what have you.. But if true is this a good thing?Does seeing "No Color" add to ignorance or help it? Is this fact or fallacy? Is it just manifested different? Are the perceptions now skewed?

After All we live in a post racial society right.....

Comments

• Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm glad to see that MY platinum + certified thread inspired this one.

And yes, not seeing color is ignorant because it shows an obvious lack of consciousness. And it's that consciousness that allows us to accept certain realities and whatnot.
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's not that children don't see color, it's that they don't fully understand all the negativity and stereotypes that comes with 'seeing' color.

I don't find that to be a bad thing.
  • SweetzIsAwesome
    SweetzIsAwesome Members Posts: 462
    edited April 2010
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    I think seeing no race helps the progress of not just our kids but people as a whole.

I think it is a good thing because if our kids grow up and learn to not having to act a certain way, there is no telling to how much they can accomplish.

Although this is not always the case, but most people care to much about acting a certain race instead of being a certain person.

most intelligent thing I've ever seen you type.. kudos..
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think kids see race. Read this article: http://www.newsweek.com/id/214989/output/print

But it's still not entirely clear to me whether or not they only see race because the adults around them see race (and even if kids naturally see race that doesn't mean that adults naturally see race).

Would it be a good thing if they didn't? I think so.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    most intelligent thing I've ever seen you type.. kudos..
    I think that's an impostor.
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I was sittin on this thread for a minute.. you didnt inspire me, get off it fam.... i got others that i might bring up
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I was sittin on this thread for a minute.. you didnt inspire me, get off it fam.... i got others that i might bring up

That guy is a clown.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Actually there was a Newsweek article that showed that babies (especially white ones) show a preference for their race by 6 months of age and start to see other races as "less than" by age 2. Whites are so racist they even pass it on through DNA to their kids.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/214989

^^^ ENJOY
  • SweetzIsAwesome
    SweetzIsAwesome Members Posts: 462
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Actually there was a Newsweek article that showed that babies (especially white ones) show a preference for their race by 6 months of age and start to see other races as "less than" by age 2. Whites are so racist they even pass it on through DNA to their kids.

^^^ ENJOY

well.. what if they are of mixed race.. who'd they consider "less than"..??
  • Ms. Mephisto
    Ms. Mephisto Members Posts: 32
    edited April 2010
    Options
    When people say ? like that to me they get the immediate side eye. Race/color is the 1st thing you see when you
    look at a person. Proudly professing not to notice something so obvious makes you look...remedial to put it nicely.
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    because of obeezy the presideezy

i no longer see any color

im actually color blind

i cant distinguish red from green

obeezy owes me check now because i can no longer fulfill my dream of becoming a commercial airline pilot due to my colorblindednessess
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You idiot....

Of course you see color....

The point was do you let color affect the way you act or handle that person.

Lol...dead.. at some point ill post my view but lol
  • Ms. Mephisto
    Ms. Mephisto Members Posts: 32
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I missed you so much

I've been waiting with butterflies in my tummy for you to post again

Oh happy day, oh happy day-a
    Awwww *blushing*
  • sonofliberty
    sonofliberty Members Posts: 501
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Awwww *blushing*

What a snappy comeback!!!
    1up.jpg
  • CASH RULES
    CASH RULES Members Posts: 306
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol @ post racial society. iiiight.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    they dont give a ?

its called progress
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think seeing no race helps the progress of not just our kids but people as a whole.

I think it is a good thing because if our kids grow up and learn to not having to act a certain way, there is no telling to how much they can accomplish.

Although this is not always the case, but most people care to much about acting a certain race instead of being a certain person.

couldnt have said it better.
  • sdrawkcabseh
    sdrawkcabseh Members Posts: 1,237 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    To add, I think that kids shouldn't see race, and most surprisingly don't, they simply see friends/companions. It's not until they hear the racially "tainted" views of adults that try to force the idea of racial superiority/inferiority on them...........
  • Simma II
    Simma II Banned Users Posts: 787
    edited April 2010
    Options

Good Post .
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options

^^^ ENJOY

Great post thanks,.. i just read it..
    To add, I think that kids shouldn't see race, and most surprisingly don't, they simply see friends/companions. It's not until they hear the racially "tainted" views of adults that try to force the idea of racial superiority/inferiority on them...........

Word... lol
    It was no surprise that in a liberal city like Austin, every parent was a welcoming multiculturalist, embracing diversity. But according to Vittrup's entry surveys, hardly any of these white parents had ever talked to their children directly about race. They might have asserted vague principles—like "Everybody's equal" or "? made all of us" or "Under the skin, we're all the same"—but they'd almost never called attention to racial differences.
    become a leader, and anyone—regardless of skin color—can be a friend, be loved, and be admired.
    Others think it's better to say nothing at all about the president's race or ethnicity—because saying something about it unavoidably teaches a child a racial construct. They worry that even a positive statement ("It's wonderful that a black person can be president") still encourages a child to see divisions within society. For the early formative years, at least, they believe we should let children know a time when skin color does not matter.
    What parents say depends heavily on their own race: a 2007 study in the Journal of Marriage and Family found that out of 17,000 families with kindergartners, nonwhite parents are about three times more likely to discuss race than white parents; 75 percent of the latter never, or almost never, talk about race.

Just two tidbits of this article.. i suggest you read it.. ..goto print preview so you can see it all at once
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So in your opinion playmaker....

Do you think it helps to talk to your children about race or not?

Yea i think its beneficial..some people think to bring up race is to "harp on it".. No you make you child aware.. as a minority.. that there are some things they might have to deal with.. and that there are other races.. and cultures out there and you accept them for who and what they are..This is the real world not disney world.. people want us to fully assimilate .. I say no.. when we do that what do we become.. I embrace idea of multiculturalism.. Whether you teach them or not... race concept will manifest.. if you dont arm them with the tools.. society will take hold of them.. Media/peers.. experiences.. this may very well happen anyway but not to the degree that all of that could .. If you arem your child with the knowledge

if we pave over it "race" will still show.. i think many kids now awadays have a skewed view of what being black is for example.. you here the phrase.. i do such and such because i am black.... You here all sorts of ignorant ? .. like white people dont do this.. black people dont or cant do that..

Im kind of rambling... but some of my very thoughts are in that article.. things i have come to known and suspect are written there..... Ill be in and out of this thread with my observations and thoughts.. but i encourage you to read that joint its a long read but worth it
  • Simma II
    Simma II Banned Users Posts: 787
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Perpetuation will never eradicate any taught behaviour.
    Generations to come will still deal with race issues because their fore-fathers want to instill the "reality" of it in them.
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hundreds of years later we made alot of headway.. but .. 400 years is just a number to us.. we cant even quantify that amount of time.. 25 years is alot to get your head around... let alone 400 years.. put that ? into perspective
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yea i think its beneficial..some people think to bring up race is to "harp on it".. No you make you child aware.. as a minority.. that there are some things they might have to deal with.. and that there are other races.. and cultures out there and you accept them for who and what they are..This is the real world not disney world.. people want us to fully assimilate .. I say no.. when we do that what do we become.. I embrace idea of multiculturalism.. Whether you teach them or not... race concept will manifest.. if you dont arm them with the tools.. society will take hold of them.. Media/peers.. experiences.. this may very well happen anyway but not to the degree that all of that could .. If you arem your child with the knowledge

if we pave over it "race" will still show.. i think many kids now awadays have a skewed view of what being black is for example.. you here the phrase.. i do such and such because i am black.... You here all sorts of ignorant ? .. like white people dont do this.. black people dont or cant do that..

Im kind of rambling... but some of my very thoughts are in that article.. things i have come to known and suspect are written there..... Ill be in and out of this thread with my observations and thoughts.. but i encourage you to read that joint its a long read but worth it

Seeing as how your posts typically be full of nothing but ? , I must say that was some real ? you just wrote...except the idea of multi-culturalism. That's a big ass HELL NO.

There's nothing wrong with teaching your kids about "race" and give them some sort of awareness about how this system is run, so they'll know what to expect when they branch out and how to react to it.

Don't get it twisted playmaker88...I still think you're a ? . But yea, good job.
  • twinzmom
    twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

WOW!! :tu

Thats how I see it and my kids get to be around my family and their father's family equally. So they are not developing an identity based on race.