Am I the only person that preferred Raw and Smackdown as the same brand?

Options
Tha Killa
Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Off The Turn Buckle
This whole WWE Draft ? is ridiculous to me. I miss the WWF because the Attitude Era was the GOAT for young fans like myself. This current roster doesn't hold a candle to the days of Stone Cold, The Rock, A.P.A., The Undertaker (both as Prince of Darkness and as a biker), Kane (with a mask), Triple H, DX, ? Foley, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, The Dudleys, etc....

The storylines were better, and so was the overall talent imo. The WWF (I refuse to call it WWE) is now just a parody of it's former self in my opinion, but it seems like I'm the only one who thinks that. I can't even watch the ? anymore. It ain't all bad, and there are some pretty good new performers, but it ain't nearly as dope as it used to be....

So.....speak on it.....

Comments

• Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I say it like this, we all got spoiled by Paul E's ECW and the ripoff Attitude Era. Everything else after that is just a joke compared to seeing how it can be versus entertainment.
  • TdotGoHARD87
    TdotGoHARD87 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? changes ? . with the wcw purchase they had to spread the talent around. now this pg era reminds me of the ? we real wrestling fans grew up in which was 80's 90's pre attitude/? era. do i prefer the brand split.....sometimes but if you have everyone on the same show few ppl are gonna be stars and that is a problem all in itself
  • Mally_G
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The thing is, I don't feel that I'm watching what I saw on TV growing up. I read that all too often on wrestling blogs and forums that we're in an era similar to the early 80s thru 90s; it's not the same to me.

The problem I see is that wrestling is too over saturated. We see the same faces EVERY week on ALL the different shows. Back in the day, we didn't see the Ultimate Warrior every week. We got a weird promo from him one week and maybe a squash match once every two months. Hogan probably wrestled on regular TV (except for SNME) maybe twice; and I remember one of the matches being against Haku. In this day and age, Cena, the new era Hogan, is on TV EVERY week. It doesn't leave you yearning to see your favorite superstar.

Also, the storylines are ? . They run through storylines too fast because they can add a new piece each week and have the blow off at a MONTHLY PPV. Back in the day, storylines went on for a year or more, depending on how the fans received them. Plus, there were only 4 PPVs a year. So storylines could be built with more thought and the blow off came at the biggest event of the year, WrestleMania. Everything back in the day had meaning, not today.

The brand split is a way to create new stars and create new feuds but only if the writers don't play favorites to the same wrestlers that were getting the push before. To many, the brand split is a failure, and that's only because the same guys keep getting pushed, and there is no line to cross between shows with the talent always crossing the line and appearing on the other show. Back when Smackdown had Benoit, Angle, Jericho, Edge, Brock, others, dudes that were workers with Heyman booking, Smackdown was Thee show to watch because it showcased wrestling and wasn't full of big named stars for entertainment purposes. Smackdown was about wrestling, RAW was the entertainment. But if the WWE isn't going to put the time and effort into their own show, then it's going to be a failure.
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i can understand that but if the wrestlers arent over they aint gonna get pushed. and that at the end of the day is the problem
  • Mally_G
    edited April 2010
    Options
    But I say this, Triple H got over as a character because he was fncking Steph, we all know this, but his character is dominating. Can we see someone else get built up the same way he has, so a new star can be created? I mean, can we see the evolution of MVP, going from the "sports star" gimmick, to a suited up dude with an attitude and about his money and women? Keep him serious and focused, cutting serious promos, and developing his persona. Or can we see someone evolve to a bad ass like Triple H is? But instead, we get these lame gimmicks, or no gimmicks at all. All the dudes do the same thing when the come out, hop around on stage, run/walk down the aisle, get up on the middle turnbuckle and play to the crowd, and that's it. No one has a "thing" they can do to make the crowd like them. Also, the storylines some of these dudes get put in get dropped after one week and the ones that last long for lower/mid card dudes be wack, like Santino's comedy, and Chavo vs. Hornswoggle each week. Dudes like MVP can't get involved in a serious storyline to make you care for them.
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you know, i was high lol on mvp at a time too. you gotta remember backstage politics play a part in alot of ? too. mvp is a kush head and gets fined on the regular. i dont even think he really cares if he gets pushed, i guess as long as he can blow some kush lol
  • TdotGoHARD87
    edited April 2010
    Options
    and triple h put in alot of work b4 they gave him the belt. i hate that ? but real talk he aint get the big belt til like 6 almst 7 yrs in. some of these guys have been around for a year and gotta title runs. alot of these ? aint built to be the man but thats why they gotta push em. but if they cant get themselves over....nobody gonna wanna push them cause the demand isnt loud enough.
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    But I say this, Triple H got over as a character because he was fncking Steph, we all know this, but his character is dominating. Can we see someone else get built up the same way he has, so a new star can be created? I mean, can we see the evolution of MVP, going from the "sports star" gimmick, to a suited up dude with an attitude and about his money and women? Keep him serious and focused, cutting serious promos, and developing his persona. Or can we see someone evolve to a bad ass like Triple H is? But instead, we get these lame gimmicks, or no gimmicks at all. All the dudes do the same thing when the come out, hop around on stage, run/walk down the aisle, get up on the middle turnbuckle and play to the crowd, and that's it. No one has a "thing" they can do to make the crowd like them. Also, the storylines some of these dudes get put in get dropped after one week and the ones that last long for lower/mid card dudes be wack, like Santino's comedy, and Chavo vs. Hornswoggle each week. Dudes like MVP can't get involved in a serious storyline to make you care for them.

I agree with all that. And as far as MVP goes, it's probably only a matter of time before we see him in TNA going by the name VIP or something, lol smh