who in the watchman was the most understandable?

Options
TheCATthatdidntDIE
TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
edited July 2010 in Quite Comical
Who do you think in the watchman was the most understood? Society understands Rorshachs opinion more, but the comedian is the most understood for me. He knew the worlds true face, and decided to wear it as a mask

Comments

• ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The comedian was very much "America." Might over morals, did what he wanted to do and then covered up his messes (as with killing the Vietnamese girl who was gonna have his baby, trying to ? , umm, whatserface--I forget the character's name), and showing no remorse in the process because he felt entitled.

Ror appealed to comix fans b/c they tend to like anti-heroes and cynicism (see the popularity of wolverine).
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    The comedian was very much "America." Might over morals, did what he wanted to do and then covered up his messes (as with killing the Vietnamese girl who was gonna have his baby, trying to ? , umm, whatserface--I forget the character's name), and showing no remorse in the process because he felt entitled.

Ror appealed to comix fans b/c they tend to like anti-heroes and cynicism (see the popularity of wolverine).

is that so or did the comedian say "what happened to the american dream? youre living it" he lived as america to show america it was wrong. and he died because some truths should not be known. which i disagree with, if you go crazy due to what you learned then you didnt have the strength to know and its your own fault. rorsharch represented the idealistic antihero. another example of things one should not witness or know. learning something may break you, but that doesnt mean you shouldnt learn it.
  • badend66
    badend66 Members Posts: 138
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Manhattan.....

He got power

As a result he distanced himself from his loved ones, he was attracted to young girls, he neglected his responsibilities as a man, he unknowingly hurt those around him (gave them cancer), becuz of his power he believed he was above everyone else and most of all the mufucca thought he was slicc
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    badend66 wrote: »
    he unknowingly hurt those around him (gave them cancer)

someone didn't pay attention
  • EscoHovNyGo
    EscoHovNyGo Members Posts: 632
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I finished reading Watchmen in my opinion the illest comic book/graphic novel I ever picked up .. Better than the movie.

Any other graphic novels that stand up to how well written watchmen was ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    rorshack
    Most of society agrees but only a few would admit it
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Manhattan.....

he unknowingly hurt those around him (gave them cancer),

You Clearly didnt pay attention.
  • Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Dr Manhattan, only because he had all this power but his greatest strength was his own arch nemesis and he was battling with himself but was tricked by society into being misperceived as something else because they didn't understand who he was. The other character would probably be nightowl, dude was trying so hard to do right when everything around him was so ? up.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I won't bring up the movie because it was an disaster...

Osymandias. He was crazy and killed millions but all to make the world a better place.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rorschach is that guy! The movie was fantastic. Non compromise is a very human thing to live by
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never saw the movie or read the comics. Yall check out the "Before Watchmen" DC is doing?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    he unknowingly hurt those around him (gave them cancer)

someone didn't pay attention

lol at this post...step your comprehension game up, bruh
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I personally relate to the Comedian more than anyone else...I think maybe the Nite Owl's feebleness and timidity is understood most by society...He's the moral one of the group, and is also the biggest ? ...no coincidence there...

Classic comic...Can sit here and decipher it for days
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Veidt (no ? ) and his grand plan for solving humanity's thirst for war is the real backbone of the story and all the other characters pale when compared to what he masterminded. point of the story to me is in the end the supervillian won and was ultimately the superhero where all others failed.

everyone else was either killed for not being able to ally themselves with his vision or had to succumb to the fact he was right and the plan brought world peace. I find him most understandable because ultimately the other characters were too weak, the only 1 that went out with some dignity was Rorschach so I can relate to him too. but the others were just pawns in Veidt's game. the Comedian was especially weak, he thought he was at the edge and had reached the point of total nihilism towards government/society's evils, but in the end his conscious got the better of him and he didn't have the mindset to go as far as Veidt, being a hero and really fixing some ? wasn't in his heart he had just grown lazy and complacent, and died as a retired thug with a guilty conscious.. too little, too late.

by the end of the story i think most people can kinda relate and see it that way and are able to even though you're faced with all those dead bodies, that's why the twist is so shocking. and that's the incredible thing about the Watchmen - it takes your normal views on ? and walks you 360 degrees until you're full circle. by the ending you're seeing ? how the supervillain views the world and then you understand how someone like Lex Luthor views themselves as the hero and savior of the planet while Superman (Manhattan) who chooses to stand by and not solve bigger issues like war just helps perpetuate humanity's evils.. this gets on some real ? because of how it is once you start to think about stuff like totalitarianism or questions like what kind of ? would let humans get to the point of war, atrocity and even total nuclear warfare. Ozymandias just saw himself as a ? among men and did what he had to do to intervene in our ? and stop the inevitable escalation of human violence.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? , I sound like a cornball.

Ozymandius, I agree with ? the world over and letting them ? ? fight for themselves.