Members of Kappa Alpha Psi Suspended For Hazing Student, Causing Kidney Failure

pharaoh1983
pharaoh1983 Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in The Social Lounge
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Student: Frat hazing put him in hospital[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]GEORGE HUNTER[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Detroit News[/FONT]Detroit -- A fraternity's Wayne State University chapter has been suspended and could have its charter revoked following allegations that a 22-year-old pre-medical student was hazed so cruelly he wound up in a hospital for nearly two weeks.
Eric Walker claims he was required to go to a house on Grand Street in west Detroit for 32 consecutive days, where he says he was administered beatings that sometimes lasted several hours as part of his initiation to become a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity.
"They would hit me all over," said Walker of Ann Arbor. "They would have me recite information I'd learned about history or whatever, and see how I responded under pressure by hitting me with thick paddles and slamming my body with their hands."
Walker's attorney said he plans to sue the fraternity for the medical bills incurred because of the beatings. The most severe thrashing, Walker said, occurred in the Grand Street house on March 1, when allegedly dozens of fraternity members from across Michigan assaulted him. Walker said he also was forced to eat dog food.
Later that night, after he'd gone home, Walker said he was horrified to see that his ? was red. A friend drove him to Annapolis Hospital in Wayne. Walker later was transferred to University Hospital in Ann Arbor, where he was treated for kidney failure, among other injuries. He remained in the hospital for 12 days.
"The doctors told me he might not recover," said his mother, Tina Walker. "He was dying."
[SIZE=+2]A prestigious fraternity[/SIZE]
Kappa Alpha Psi is a prestigious, African-American based fraternity. Notable members include Michigan Congressman John Conyers, talk show host Tavis Smiley and film director John Singleton.
The chapter on WSU's campus has less than 10 members and no fraternity house, officials said.
Richard Lee Snow, executive director of the Philadelphia-based fraternity, said he is looking into the allegations and insisted that hazing is forbidden according to the organization's bylaws.
"We do not condone hazing," Snow said, declining further comment.
Wayne State Police Chief Anthony Holt said he is close to wrapping up his investigation into the alleged March 1 incident and plans to present information to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office as early as next week.
"I'm very confident the investigation will show that the incident did take place," Holt said. "(Walker's) kidney shut down; he was beaten pretty bad."
[SIZE=+2]Group may lose charter[/SIZE]
Holt said the suspension, which was handed down by Wayne State officials as soon as his investigation determined that the allegations had merit, could result in the revocation of the fraternity's charter, which would prevent the organization from being affiliated with the university.
In addition to any criminal punishment, the students involved could also face suspension from the university, Holt said.
There have been at least four other incidents nationwide in the past seven years in which Kappa Alpha Psi chapters were suspended following hazing initiations. On April 1, the fraternity chapter at the University of Central Florida was shut down after a student alleged he was severely beaten with canes.
"If the fraternity officials say they don't know this is going on, that's a bunch of hooey," said Daniel Romano, Walker's attorney. "It's ingrained in the culture.
"This thing that went on the last day (March 1) had people from all over the region; members and alumnus from all over Michigan and Ohio were there, coming by and taking shots at (Walker), hitting him all over his body."
Walker said the house was rented by a member of the fraternity, which does not have property on the Wayne State campus, according to Holt.
Susan Lipkins, a psychologist who gives lectures nationwide about the consequences of hazing, said research shows there has been at least one hazing-related death on a college campus each year since 1970.
"It's like the Army; they break you down so that you lose your identity, and adopt the behavior of the group," Lipkins said.
[SIZE=+2]Breaking point[/SIZE]
Walker said he put up with the hazing for several weeks because he felt obligated to his fellow pledges to stick it out.
"I was going to quit at least three or four times, but (elder fraternity members) told us if one person dropped out, nobody in my group would make it," he said. "Also, one of the (pledges) paid the $900 fee (to become a pledge), and I felt I owed it to him to stay."
But following the alleged March 1 incident, Walker said he'd had enough.
"While I was in the hospital, I made up my mind that I wasn't going back," he said. "My (fellow pledges) were the only ones who came to see me; nobody else from the fraternity came to see if I was all right. Only one person called, but he just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to tell anyone what happened.
"That really hit me; I realized that these people didn't care about me."
Walker, who does not have medical insurance, said he received a bill from the U-M hospital for more than $24,000, and expects more bills in the tens of thousands of dollars.
"I expect the medical bills will be significant," Romano said.
Walker said he plans to enroll in another university and continue to study medicine.
"I'm done with fraternities," he said. "I'm just going to concentrate on my studies."
ghunter@detnews.com">ghunter@detnews.com (313) 222-2134 Detroit News Staff Writer Kim Kozlowski contributed.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Additional Facts[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hazing gone wrong[/FONT]
Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity chapters have been suspended at least four times in the past seven years after hazing incidents.
Earlier this month, University of Central Florida officials shut down the fraternity after allegations surfaced that members beat a pledge with canes during a hazing initiation.
In March 2006, Florida A&M University suspended a chapter until 2013 after a 19-year-old sophomore was severely beaten over a period of four days while pledging. The fraternity also had been suspended from 2000-2003.
In 2003, 11 fraternity members at Northwestern State University were arrested and their fraternity suspended after a pledge was beaten during initiation rites.

Now I know I am gonna catch a lot of slack for this , but um these collegiate gangs are getting out of hand and this ? needs to stop. Why do you have to beat on some one to be apart of what is suppose to be a progressive fraternity. I strongly doubt that its founders would condone this type of animal behavior. This is what happens when you give clout to fools just because they were 3 stupid letters. This ? is nonsense and I feel sorry for the young man that got his kidney knocked off ; but at the same time you know these wreckless ? are known for participating in nonsense behavior like this. Spend a whole decade in undergrad to play in some ? greek organization smh....

Comments

• ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Meant to say who WENT into the hospital--obviously he's out

This is a shame b/c not all chapters in all frats (or sororities) are bad, but more than anything I hope this cat is going to be OK. I'm an Alpha but I wouldnt defend any(OK, at least most) of this behavior if it was done by someone in my own frat (and it has been, although maybe not as much--or at least not caught as much). I went through and have seen similar things but it was always thoroughly monitored to make sure stuff didn't get out of hand or go overboard, but I can't say the same for everyone even within the frat.

Just sad.

Oh and thanks for the Boondocks clip. What season was that from? I can't remember.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Black people will imitate Europeans even to the detriment of their own health.

Sad as hell.
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited May 2010
    detroits no joke.. lol..

my thing is this.. how serious are you to actually go through all this?? what do you get for being in this frat? parties? hoes? reference?? i bet you my kidneys they wont even come close to hitting me with that paddle.. its called common sense.. he put himself in that ? , and paid a hefty price.... why the ? should we pity the idiot.. lol. for real..
  • SoulRattler of Venom
    SoulRattler of Venom Members Posts: 458
    edited May 2010
    detroits no joke.. lol..

my thing is this.. how serious are you to actually go through all this?? what do you get for being in this frat? parties? hoes? reference?? i bet you my kidneys they wont even come close to hitting me with that paddle.. its called common sense.. he put himself in that ? , and paid a hefty price.... why the ? should we pity the idiot.. lol. for real..

If you want to be in a Black Greek letter fraternity, you're GOING to get hit with a paddle whether you like it or not. That's just house rules.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    detroits no joke.. lol..

pledging isn't a gurantee to get your ass beat for every frat...I can tell you for 100% fact that I never had anybody place their hands on me or anybody that I personally have met who is a member of my organization...and personally I feel that anybody who does dumb, hazing ? is allowing themselves to be made a ? out of and I don't respect them nor their chapter for allowing and accepting that type of actions...trust and believe this ? is NOT supported within the greek community that's why there's always harsh penalties when they are caught...