Power of the Dollar vs Reasonable Doubt vs Illmatic

hot7777
hot7777 Members Posts: 201
edited September 2011 in The Face Off Forum
Which is the better debut album?

Instead of voting for your fav emcee lets be real about this and give reason for why one is better.

Best Songs IMO

1) Power of the Dollar

2) Resonable Doubt

3) Illmatic

Comments

• KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    so we gonna put the weaker song from illmatic against the stronger songs from the others?

illmatic wasn't nas at his best to be honest, except maybe a few verses. rd winds.
  • hot7777
    edited September 2011
    I said IMO, so I think Halftime is the best on Illmatic, but yes there were alot of bangers Illmatic so everyone has their preferences.
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    hot7777 wrote: »
    I said IMO, so I think Halftime is the best on Illmatic, but yes there were alot of bangers Illmatic so everyone has their preferences.

yeah, and in this case your opinion sucked. you had one love, the world is yours, memory lane, ny state of mind, life's a ? and it ain't hard to tell to choose from, and you chose halftime.
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Correction T/S

1) Power of The Dollar

2) Reasonable Doubt

3) Illmatic

With that being said, I'll take POTD,Illmatic,RD in that order. All three are classics by the way and Illmatic, RD are great but POTD has some of both with a little bit more so 50 Cent ftw.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    so we gonna put the weaker song from illmatic against the stronger songs from the others?

illmatic wasn't nas at his best to be honest, except maybe a few verses. rd winds.

i say IWW is nas @ his best ... illmatic was Nas in his most rare and most Rawest form ...
  • antarticp
    edited September 2011
    yeah, and in this case your opinion sucked. you had one love, the world is yours, memory lane, ny state of mind, life's a ? and it ain't hard to tell to choose from, and you chose halftime.

right lol and i think halftime is like my least fave off that album !! lol ;)
  • antarticp
    edited September 2011
    but honestly Power of a Dollar was Fif @ his most purest form ... his delivery was much sharper and versatile ... but i never heard that album from top to bottom ... matter of fact ... correct me if im wrong but there was never a retail release for Power of A Dollar .... so its not even fair to line it up again Illmatic and Reasonable Doubt ....??????

but i would have to say just off the two albums ive heard many of times ...

!. Reasonable Doubt
    2. Illmatic

and i put reasonable doubt @ #1 cause that album is just ill ... from the beats ... to the lyrics .... today that would be my list cause i can relate to so much ? jay was talking about on that album today ..... but back in my younger years def Illmatic would of been #1 ...... just cause i was little shorty bop just like nas i feeled like i really understood where nas was coming from with that album and IWW ..... side note IWW is my top album of all time .......... i dont know what it is about that album but its just ill ... verbally and sonically .... sort of reminds me of Nas's Reasonable Doubt cause hes a older and more wiser on this joint then he was on Illmatic ........
  • edutained_by_hh
    edutained_by_hh Members Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    All three of these albums are great. Illmatic is the best one, followed by Power of the Dollar then Reasonable Doubt.

Illmatic=classic, 10/10
    POTD=classic, 9.95/10
    RD=classic, 9.75/10
    If I had to distinguish them with rankings.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    antarticp wrote: »
    i say IWW is nas @ his best ... illmatic was Nas in his most rare and most Rawest form ...

I agree. Illmatic was that pure, talented flow straight off the streets. smh @ Ready To Die not being included, its def better than power of a dollar and reasonable doubt
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    wow i like power of the dollar but i dont think it should be mentioned with 5 mic certified classics, im surprised to see it beating out rd especially on this site, illmatic>>rd>>potd
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Illmatic >> RD >>>> Power of the Dollar

Reasonable Doubt is a great album. Listen to it more than Illmatic or POTD.

However none of these albums had more impact than Illmatic.
  • antarticp
    edited September 2011
    I agree. Illmatic was that pure, talented flow straight off the streets. smh @ Ready To Die not being included, its def better than power of a dollar and reasonable doubt

odl i think Power of a Dollar was added for view count LOL ;)

cause i was thinking the same this would be a perfect match up with Ready to Die in the mix ;)
  • antarticp
    edited September 2011
    Illmatic >> RD >>>> Power of the Dollar

Reasonable Doubt is a great album. Listen to it more than Illmatic or POTD.

However none of these albums had more impact than Illmatic.

cosign !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • coolc31
    coolc31 Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Reasonable Doubt & then Illmatic in my opinion. I have Power of A Dollar, but I don't know the last time I listened to it & I wasn't that impressed with it when I was listening to it. It was a good album, but it wasn't great to me.
  • hot7777
    edited September 2011

Ready to Die wasn't included just cuz I wanted to compare the 3 alive GOATS of New York
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Reasonable Doubt >>>>>> Illmatic >>>>>>>>>>> Power of the Dollar
  • jrod44
    jrod44 Members Posts: 3,446
    edited September 2011
    I think 50's was the best, I was in a different position in life. 50>illmatic>reasonable doubt.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Lol @ this thread
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    RD, Illmatic.................and POTD? Seriously? haha.
  • ROFL.GUY
    ROFL.GUY Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    all 3 are CLASSIC

some of the only NY ? i listen to
  • hot7777
    edited September 2011
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    RD, Illmatic.................and POTD? Seriously? haha.

yes, seriously.

Power of the Dollar is one of the most underrated albums of all time

The realness in this song >>> anything on RD or IllmaticOld 50 was the GOAT
  • ROFL.GUY
    ROFL.GUY Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    50 brought AGGRESIVE hustler music to NY

he took RD raps and gave them a pac edge
  • stealthbomber
    stealthbomber Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    wow thats the first power of the dollar reference ive seen on this forum, respect for that. but im goin with illmatic, not far ahead of either of em, all classics.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited September 2011
    RD was the best overall album
    Illmatic still sound dated as hell
    never heard power of the dollar but i never cared for 50 like that
  • hot7777
    edited September 2011
    RD was the best overall album
    Illmatic still sound dated as hell
    never heard power of the dollar but i never cared for 50 like that