The only shows for black people are reality shows and sitcoms

JUICY_FRUIT
JUICY_FRUIT Members Posts: 205
edited October 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Why is that?? Why cant we have an Entourage, Dexter, etc. with an all black cast?? It doesn't help that BET, a channel that was made specifically for us, plays the dumbest ? ever. Something should be done about that

Comments

• bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    dexter is the goat.....
    but hey there was a black guy on dexter....to bad dexter choked his ass out while dude had a gun lol
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    ? BET..

dont hold your breath because black shows have a short shelf life and are set up to fai.. word to Kevin Hill, Everybody Hates Chris, and that show on tv1
  • JUICY_FRUIT
    edited September 2011
    I hate that it has to be like that, there are no good black shows on TV. The same with movies, they dont even come out with good black movies anymore, its all Tyler Perry ?
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited September 2011
    i been thinking this for years. and what about movies? can we have a black contagion or 500 days of summer released globally, not some independent film? that would be nice.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    It's b/c it's been proven that black folks will go out an watch all types of movies regardless of color. But other races won't do the same. Making movies directed only at blacks isn't profitable enough for holly wood. Other races run away from movies that have majority black casts unless it's something historical. Those tyler perry movies work b/c black women go out in masses to view them. Black women are now the targets of a lot of tv shows and movies.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Wack but true... ^^^^
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    ? hollywood and the entertainment industry... ? who run it especially... ? em with rusty ass old metal broom sticks.
  • JUICY_FRUIT
    edited September 2011
    Well coming from a black woman, those Tyler Perry movies are corny! It's the same ? , different movie. I'd prefer movies from the 90's (Love & Basketball, The Wood, Best Man, Soul Food, Jason's Lyric, Love Jones, etc.) over ANY of those Tyler Perry movies. What happened to good, REAL movies like that??
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Well coming from a black woman, those Tyler Perry movies are corny! It's the same ? , different movie. I'd prefer movies from the 90's (Love & Basketball, The Wood, Best Man, Soul Food, Jason's Lyric, Love Jones, etc.) over ANY of those Tyler Perry movies. What happened to good, REAL movies like that??

you can say the same thing in regards to hip hop. a lot of it at least. I think it's just an overall decline in the entertainment industry.
  • playmaker88
    edited September 2011

Yes maam..!
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I couldnt sit through a Tyler Perry film if I was gettin paid for it.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Every black person who has a problem with ? like this just happens to NOT BE A WRITER/PRODUCER/DIRECTOR/ACTOR, ETC.

So please lets shut the ? up and do something about it if it's that serious.
  • JUICY_FRUIT
    edited September 2011
    Every black person who has a problem with ? like this just happens to NOT BE A WRITER/PRODUCER/DIRECTOR/ACTOR, ETC.

So please lets shut the ? up and do something about it if it's that serious.

I would if it was that easy
  • playmaker88
    edited September 2011
    having a problem with people having a problem.
    :confused:
  • DWinters
    DWinters Members Posts: 36
    edited September 2011
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    It's b/c it's been proven that black folks will go out an watch all types of movies regardless of color. But other races won't do the same. Making movies directed only at blacks isn't profitable enough for holly wood. Other races run away from movies that have majority black casts unless it's something historical. Those tyler perry movies work b/c black women go out in masses to view them. Black women are now the targets of a lot of tv shows and movies.

Not 100% true....That's what they tell us but in the 80's and 90's Eddie Murphy made Boomerang and Coming to America which had all black casts and were huge success'.....Boyz in tha Hood made a lot of money as well as New Jack City around that same time......Dream Girls and that other movie with Beyonce and Edris Elba made a lot of money more recently.....
  • 1of1
    edited September 2011
    having a problem with people having a problem.
    :confused:
    Yes b/c this viewpoint has been beat into the ground and nothing has come of it. How long can it be discussed w/o any actual forward movement?
  • 1of1
    edited September 2011
    I would if it was that easy
    Ok so who are you going to place the blame on?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    White people aren't interested in black peoples lives. Pure truth!

It has to be something extremely relatable to their lives (middle America) like the Cosby Show. They don't want to see hood or struggle shows.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited September 2011

@ the bold, those are all the same damn movie with the the same cast...but to answer your question it's black folks own fault...nearly everytime a tv show centered around black folks comes out there's ALWAYS a group saying "THat doesn't represent black people" because of course ALL black folks can be represented by 1 image
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    blackrain wrote: »
    @ the bold, those are all the same damn movie with the the same cast...but to answer your question it's black folks own fault...nearly everytime a tv show centered around black folks comes out there's ALWAYS a group saying "THat doesn't represent black people" because of course ALL black folks can be represented by 1 image
    That's the truth...even some black people had problems with the Cosby show and a different world
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Black women are now the targets of a lot of tv shows and movies.

i've noticed that....

along w/ women in general
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Whites are not interested in black entertainment unless they can relate to or the storyline isn't black-centric despite having a black actor as the lead.(i.e Will Smith) The typical response from whites when said "black movie" comes out is "I'll watch it when it comes out on video" or "I'll catch it on cable" or they never heard of it.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    didn't know you still posted Gem Jones
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011

I agree with the bolded to an extent. However, the couple of times I've seen a Tyler Perry movie in theaters, it was suprisingly quite a few White folks watching it as well. It's been over 1.5 years since I've seen a T.P film, and I refuse to ever watch one of his coontastic movies again.

White people love Black movies where we're portrayed negatively. Why ya'll think Whites praised Precious and The Blind Side so much?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    There was a movie I've seen previews for called "Jumping the Broom" with an all Black cast. Judging from the previews, it didn't look too stereotypical "Black movie". I hate romantic comedies, so I never bothered watching the ? . Has anyone seen it?