The Warm Up >>>>> Cole World

Options
hot7777
hot7777 Members Posts: 201
edited September 2011 in The Face Off Forum
Not Sure if Cole was pressured by the executives to fit a reformed style for his album but it sounds very forced, whereas The Warm Up was very organic, extremely raw but still proper song structure. The Warm Up sounds like J Cole was doing him as an artist but his album sounds like someone else was calling the shots.

Dollar and A Dream 2 >>>>>>>>>>>> Dollar and Dream 3

Comments

• Meet The Sniper
    Meet The Sniper Members Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    come on homie we all know how the game goes and why mixtapes and major album releases are different.
  • hot7777
    edited September 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    come on homie we all know how the game goes and why mixtapes and major album releases are different.

true but this dude had raw radio hits on his 'mixtape' - if you put out a hot freestyle thats one thing, but when u got raw hits .....?

if dude was to release this as a single, it would have done numbers
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    How you compare a ? mixtape to a album, ? you expect the ? to put out a album full of beats by other artist? Take away those Kanye, Ski, etc and you essentially get the same album as COLE WORLD SIDELINE STORY, because at some point he had to make singles like CAN'T GET ENOUGH, WORK OUT,NOBODY'S PERFECT if he would of put out The Warm Up as a album. SOngs like LOST ONES, RISE AND SHINE, DOLLAR AND A DREAM 3,ETC are in the same lane as anything on the Warm Up.

There are no raw RADIO HITS on the Warm Up. Stop lying!
  • hot7777
    edited September 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

There are no raw RADIO HITS on the Warm Up. Stop lying!

Dreams as a radio single >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any single on Cole World
  • usmarin3
    edited September 2011
    Options
    hot7777 wrote: »
    Dreams as a radio single >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any single on Cole World

If i was meant to be a radio hit it would of token off like Drakes mixtapes single did and that song is way too creepy and long to be a ? single.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Production wise Dollar and a Dream 3>>>2>>>1

Lyrics wise Dollar and a Dream 2>>>>3 (Ima taking points off cause of the ? line.. I actually would think its better than 2 w/o it)>>>>1

and the Rise and Shine beat>>Hiipower beat
  • hot7777
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If i was meant to be a radio hit it would of token off like Drakes mixtapes single did and that song is way too creepy and long to be a ? single.

Not creepy, its unique. Some of Lady Gaga's hits are also 'creepy' That song and mixtape is J.cole doing him. It's a case of poor marketing. Dont forget 'I Get Money' was suppose to be a mixtape track until Eminem said what the ? are you doing - this is going on your album

Also, other songs like losing your balance had radio single potential.
  • lamontbdc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Production wise Dollar and a Dream 3>>>2>>>1

Lyrics wise Dollar and a Dream 2>>>>3 (Ima taking points off cause of the ? line.. I actually would think its better than 2 w/o it)>>>>1

and the Rise and Shine beat>>Hiipower beat

i don't know about that one my Canadian brother. that hiipowered beat been my ? all year
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    i don't know about that one my Canadian brother. that hiipowered beat been my ? all year

Yeah I love Hiipower... but that rise and shine beat go hard to me.. his best production to me imo
  • Meet The Sniper
    Meet The Sniper Members Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yeah I love Hiipower... but that rise and shine beat go hard to me.. his best production to me imo

Yeah it's definitely Cole's best work.
  • usmarin3
    edited September 2011
    Options
    hot7777 wrote: »
    Not creepy, its unique. Some of Lady Gaga's hits are also 'creepy' That song and mixtape is J.cole doing him. It's a case of poor marketing. Dont forget 'I Get Money' was suppose to be a mixtape track until Eminem said what the ? are you doing - this is going on your album

Also, other songs like losing your balance had radio single potential.

Lady Gaga disguise her creepiness behind catchy pop beats and hooks, not to mention she is a female. Can you imagine a black man talking about i'm gonna be a creeper, ? up your boyfriend,etc.

As for Losing my balance, you're making the assumption he can get the sample cleared and that a accoustic rap song would work on the radio.

I think you are over simplifying ? and looking back in the past with blurred vision and memories. J Cole already tried the "real hiphop" route with WHO DAT and that didn't pan out too well. As a new artist you have to play the game until you build up enough commercial success credit like a Kanye, Jay, Wayne,etc did until the radio is forced to play whatever you put out.
  • lamontbdc
    edited September 2011
    Options

ill give them a closer comparison later on
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cosign but whatever still bought 2 copies
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    it seems like his album made people appreciate his mixtapes more.
  • hot7777
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lady Gaga disguise her creepiness behind catchy pop beats and hooks, not to mention she is a female. Can you imagine a black man talking about i'm gonna be a creeper, ? up your boyfriend,etc.

As for Losing my balance, you're making the assumption he can get the sample cleared and that a accoustic rap song would work on the radio.

I think you are over simplifying ? and looking back in the past with blurred vision and memories. J Cole already tried the "real hiphop" route with WHO DAT and that didn't pan out too well. As a new artist you have to play the game until you build up enough commercial success credit like a Kanye, Jay, Wayne,etc did until the radio is forced to play whatever you put out.

Well I think J.Cole needs to distinguish who he is as an artist. His new album is all over the place. I'm happy that he's projected to do 250k and that shows he has some fans but his album is a letdown compared to 'The Warm Up' which showed what he could be as an artist. There are tons of new cats and he need to stand out. In interviews he comes across as boring and that aint a good look if he want longevity.

As far as a black guy or any man putting out a record like 'dreams', it might have been not acceptable before like in the g-unit era, but in 2011 there is less focus taboos and more focus on the artistry. This is the same era where Kid Cudi is poppin and where a rapper can put out an album called 'i'm ? ' and not be shot.

The problem is J.Cole is always compared with Drake, and J.Cole will NEVER be able to match Drake in making a hit single. Drake is far better at this. The only way for J.Cole to keep and build his fanbase is to distinguish who he is as an artist.

Another potential radio hit from 'The Warm Up' is
    Dude sounds way more comfortable in who he is as an artist here.