NBA Lockout.

Options

Comments

• Heartless_Mentality1
    Heartless_Mentality1 Members Posts: 147
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »
    The league was not doing great...they lost money last year, and d.stern almost had to take over the hornets because there was nobody to buy them...

because the owners are not getting a good return on their money..e.curry, g.arenas...a host of other players with big ass contacts..and nobody knows why...handcapping franchises from making moves to improve their teams...

Once again you're wrong in a sports thread. The NBA didnt lose money. They in fact, had a surplus, which is why in the next 2 months they will have to dish out bonus checks to be distributed within the players association.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    the pragmatic person in me is all for the financial side of the NBA to get cleaned up, the fan in me DOES NOT want a lockout, because i do enjoy watching basketball. ill tolerate a lockout if i have to, but if you a true fan, i dont see how you could WANT this to happen.

when im watching basketball, my mind rarely wanders over to the financial side of things and ? up contracts unless they are particularly atrocious, then ill clown on it a bit. in the end its peripheral ? that aint got nothin to do with me seeing lakers vs heat on christmas day.

id rather watch that than watch kobe play overseas against a bunch of italian league nobodies
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    nba had one of its biggest seasons last year, probably one of the biggeset ratings

everybody was talking and rooting against miami heat last year

NBA >>>>>>> NFL >>>>>>> MLB
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yes. I read up on this lockout ? everyday and will be salty as ? even if the season starts late..I want a full ? season dammit....Hopefully something good with happen tomorrow
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Once again you're wrong in a sports thread. The NBA didnt lose money. They in fact, had a surplus, which is why in the next 2 months they will have to dish out bonus checks to be distributed within the players association.

ha ha wait who the uck are you? Do we really got ? using aliases...really? ha ha

and yes they didnt lose money as a private organization....but ahh there's are teams, small market teams that are not doing well financially. Do u wanna deny that?

like i said...if it's gonna improve on the way the NBA handles its business as far as players contracts go..i'm all over it....i dont wanna cont. to watch sucky teams and teams with player contacts that they cant get out of

if you in a big market town you are fine...but if you in a smaller market i'm sure u tired of your sucky team.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    NBA>>>> NFL, football is one day of the week for me, basketball is damn near every day from november to june
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The league was not doing great...they lost money last year, and d.stern almost had to take over the hornets because there was nobody to buy them...

because the owners are not getting a good return on their money..e.curry, g.arenas...a host of other players with big ass contacts..and nobody knows why...handcapping franchises from making moves to improve their teams...

The league was doing better numbers than it had done in years as far as attendance and TV views. like i posted earlier the owners are crying because they can't afford to do like they used to due to there outside businesses doing ? . Ticket sales and TV views was up last year for the NBA. That is the league not what owners can and cannot afford. A lot of team owners lost money due to the fact of them doing a poor job of constructing teams. That was always the case even when Jordan, Magic and bird were playing. The only difference now is media coverage and owners not being able to afford to eat there teams being in the red.

The League took over the Hornets because the owner couldn't afford to run them. If you remember when they were in Charlotte the franchise did well but moved due to the city not wanting to foot the bill for a new stadium and the owner having a messy public personal problem in the city. Hornets were my 2nd favorite team when they were in Charlotte but the stupid owner moved a team that always lead the league in attendance to an area that was shaky from the jump. Before the Saints got Brees and went to the Superbowl they always had ? attendance.

The point i'm making is the owners are asking the league to protect them from themselves because they overpay for players coming off of injuries like Eddie Curry and Gilbert Arenas. LOL. I liked that you named those two as your examples because the Knicks dumb ? gave Eddy that big deal after finding out he had heart problems and trouble always keeping in shape. Wizards gave Gil that awful deal when he hadn't even rehabbed from knee surgery fully. Stupid front offices are gonna always field losing or mediocre teams which will effect there attendance and viewing. No matter what the league does some owners are gonna lose or not make as much as the good teams do. Even the other sports go through this. That is why teams relocate and people sell because they can't afford to keep operating in the red
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    NBA>>>> NFL, football is one day of the week for me, basketball is damn near every day from november to june

why it even gotta come to that tho. i love football and basketball for different reasons. i like that saturday-monday i can focus on football, and tuesday-friday i got basketball. the more sports ? goin on the better
  • ghost!
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    The league was doing better numbers than it had done in years as far as attendance and TV views. like i posted earlier the owners are crying because they can't afford to do like they used to due to there outside businesses doing ? . Ticket sales and TV views was up last year for the NBA. That is the league not what owners can and cannot afford. A lot of team owners lost money due to the fact of them doing a poor job of constructing teams. That was always the case even when Jordan, Magic and bird were playing. The only difference now is media coverage and owners not being able to afford to eat there teams being in the red.

The League took over the Hornets because the owner couldn't afford to run them. If you remember when they were in Charlotte the franchise did well but moved due to the city not wanting to foot the bill for a new stadium and the owner having a messy public personal problem in the city. Hornets were my 2nd favorite team when they were in Charlotte but the stupid owner moved a team that always lead the league in attendance to an area that was shaky from the jump. Before the Saints got Brees and went to the Superbowl they always had ? attendance.

The point i'm making is the owners are asking the league to protect them from themselves because they overpay for players coming off of injuries like Eddie Curry and Gilbert Arenas. LOL. I liked that you named those two as your examples because the Knicks dumb ? gave Eddy that big deal after finding out he had heart problems and trouble always keeping in shape. Wizards gave Gil that awful deal when he hadn't even rehabbed from knee surgery fully. Stupid front offices are gonna always field losing or mediocre teams which will effect there attendance and viewing. No matter what the league does some owners are gonna lose or not make as much as the good teams do. Even the other sports go through this. That is why teams relocate and people sell because they can't afford to keep operating in the red

No arguement there, but its what the cba calls for now...you think these players are gonna go for anything less then what they're getting now? Or having to only be guarenteed a certain amount of dollars for a certain amoung of years....i dont think so

yea u right, the owners are looking for a bail out (some) i mean you cant account for injuries..look at mcgrady and arenas cases....they deserved to get their money, nobody seen them getting injuried, and their money all of it; was guarenteed up front. So what is an owner to do when a player gets injuried and they are on the books for 5 plus years? (and that's what the CBA, and the player's union calls for; big guarenteed contracts) You can't budget if you have to pay a player "market value" for his services after a certain amount of years.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    HustleTree wrote: »
    Yes. I read up on this lockout ? everyday and will be salty as ? even if the season starts late..I want a full ? season dammit....Hopefully something good with happen tomorrow

co-? sign basketball is my first love they need to capitalize off the back to back great seasons they had plus its a few records on the line tht could be jepordized by a shortened season
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I care because basketball is my favorite sport but I can't give a ? about 2 lockouts in 1 year, and I've already come to the conclusion that there will be a shortened season or no season because the NBA is doing exactly what the NHL did. What that is is they're gonna continue to hold out even if it means losing a season to get the change that is needed, and there is a change needed but a change isn't deserved because the problems of the current CBA are all problems that the owners allowed and embraced.
  • The 3mcee
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No arguement there, but its what the cba calls for now...you think these players are gonna go for anything less then what they're getting now? Or having to only be guarenteed a certain amount of dollars for a certain amoung of years....i dont think so

yea u right, the owners are looking for a bail out (some) i mean you cant account for injuries..look at mcgrady and arenas cases....they deserved to get their money, nobody seen them getting injuried, and their money all of it; was guarenteed up front. So what is an owner to do when a player gets injuried and they are on the books for 5 plus years? (and that's what the CBA, and the player's union calls for; big guarenteed contracts) You can't budget if you have to pay a player "market value" for his services after a certain amount of years.

Gilbert got injured and hadn't even came back from rehab when he got that huge deal. Everybody thought the Wizards were stupid to do that ? and look how that panned out. Not to mention he got paid Superstar money when he was just a solid player that had inflated stats on an average team. McGrady got hurt after the fact so I agree with you on him and he at least played solid some years after he got signed.

These owners are getting these stupid GM's who over pay for marginal talent and that pretty much is the whole point of everything. Guys are getting way more than there market value like Joe Johnson who is a solid player but doesn't deserve to be paid Kobe money. ? Rashard Lewis got paid Kobe money and he was never on that level. I do think that the contracts should be shorter or the whole thing shouldn't be guaranteed.
  • The 3mcee
    edited September 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    them rich ? love to feed ppl that free market ? until they have to deal with THEIR failures...
    they paid those dudes, so yeah they should take those losses...

www.Truth.com
  • ghost!
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Gilbert got injured and hadn't even came back from rehab when he got that huge deal. Everybody thought the Wizards were stupid to do that ? and look how that panned out. Not to mention he got paid Superstar money when he was just a solid player that had inflated stats on an average team. McGrady got hurt after the fact so I agree with you on him and he at least played solid some years after he got signed.

These owners are getting these stupid GM's who over pay for marginal talent and that pretty much is the whole point of everything. Guys are getting way more than there market value like Joe Johnson who is a solid player but doesn't deserve to be paid Kobe money. ? Rashard Lewis got paid Kobe money and he was never on that level. I do think that the contracts should be shorter or the whole thing shouldn't be guaranteed.

I agree, with what's in bold especially!

i mean it is still what the owners and players agreed on..and really some players really dont keep up their end of the bargin, over paid or not..so players gotta share some blame too..but you right...some GMs over do it like a mug.
  • ghost!
    edited September 2011
    Options

Oh one more thing. The hawks had to over paid J.Johnson..first he was set to make big cash under the current CBA, and he was gonna walk if he didnt get more then his market value anways..and Atlanta does not do well for basketball...they needed a star...so they over paid him. See what i mean...the current CBA sucks.
  • it's me bi***es
    it's me bi***es Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? yea i give a ? ! especially since i was suppose to b at tha lakers pre season game on oct. 19th, but ? it last i heard theyre gettin closer so we'll see...
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I care but College football, MLB Playoffs, NFL and College Basketball will hold me over. Im cool with waiting for it to start but later than January is gonna be rough. Not gonna lie I am looking for them to start talking/showing something mid week when ain't ? else to talk about on ESPN. They overkill some of these topics too much after Tuesday.
  • it's me bi***es
    it's me bi***es Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    why it even gotta come to that tho. i love football and basketball for different reasons. i like that saturday-monday i can focus on football, and tuesday-friday i got basketball. the more sports ? goin on the better

• IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i love the nba but ? all of them. players in the nba shouldnt get guaranteed contracts and players in the nfl should
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have no problem with dudes like Rashard Lewis, Eddie Curry, Gilbert Arenas etc, getting huge undeserved contracts... It aint their faults, it's the owners and GM's that bid against themselves for questionable talent/players. If your boss offered to pay you $1M for a job that pays $50K on average, are you gonna say, "No sir, I'll take that average $50K per year thanks"? NO.. you're gonna take the money.... As others have said, the owners are asking players to take pay cuts due to their own stupidity. SMH @ the owners... Right when the NBA had basically recovered from the 99 lockout, these clowns, along with captain slave master, Stern, are ruining it again.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ok i'm starting to think you're a stalker now....

look i already got chickens on my D8ck...i dont need you on there (no broke back) hope off stan...keep it moving...dont need no sons..i aint paying child support payments cuz of you...

Lmao...wdh
  • windycity2117
    windycity2117 Members Posts: 9,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm going to miss basketball.I'm more of a NBA fan then NFL
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Stern is threatening to cancel the ENTIRE season if union dont make progress on a deal by this weekend.

I think he bluffin...but who know's they need to get it together though i would like to see some nba this season.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

I will have a very productive winter/spring if they cancel the season.