NBA Lockout.

Options

Comments

• it's me bi***es
    it's me bi***es Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    Stern is threatening to cancel the ENTIRE season if union dont make progress on a deal by this weekend.

I think he bluffin...but who know's they need to get it together though i would like to see some nba this season.

i dont think he's bluffing cuz diference from NBA lockout and NFL lockout is a lot of nba owners own hockey teams also so they money will hurt but not as much as nfl owners. NBA owners are ready to take that loss if it helps em out in tha long run...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    They are saying they need to make a deal by at least the middle of next week. What is it exactly about a hard cap that these players are so against it?
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cuz it means all these max and guarenteed contracts go kaput.

Nope guaranteed contracts will still be around. The owners know they'll never accept a deal with partial guaranteed contracts.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    meh.....i don't really start watchin till after the superbowl anyway. The players and owners need to quit crying though. I don't think Stern bluffin tho. But they do need to compromise. Either way there's always college basketball. Might not be as skilled as NBA but its more exciting to me there's more urgency I guess.

Im only checking for college ball during the months of march-april...since the LHN dropped now ill be watching alot of Texas bball games so i guess thats something to look forward to when the nfl season is over...and if the nba season is locked out.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    college football should hold me over until college basketball starts.
    ? the NBA tho.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    college football should hold me over until college basketball starts.
    ? the NBA tho.

college basketball is ? terrible man these ? aint skilled no more plus the 35 second shot clock is annoying as ? I seen the number 1 freshman Austin Rivers play nd he's a turnover prone volume shooter i cant stomach college basketball till the conference tourneys start
  • Heartless_Mentality1
    Heartless_Mentality1 Members Posts: 147
    edited September 2011
    Options
    at this point the season will be shortened but i doubt the quality owners/teams dont push for a deal. I doubt the season is canceled
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    both the players and owners are greedy as hell but even more so the owners. the players deserve majority of the BRI, its the owners fault they are in this situation in the first place.
    I don't think Stern is bluffing though but it seems like he doesn't even really care, he seems so nonchalant about it.
    I need the NBA that's my ? i love basketball. i always watched football but not as much as i have now since its no basketball. it's that ? is only monday and sunday, i need something to hold me over during the week.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i care. football and basketball are the 2 sports i watch the most. now i dont have a bball season to look forward too. and when football is over what do i watch NASSCAR??
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Kobe Bryant agrees to play in italy.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Owners backed off that hard cap demand

But want all this to replace it

The bolded is crucial

bums like ? can get cut and free up mad dough

LOL... from a fan's perspective, this is a great thing... dead weight, under achievers will get the boot, however, the players won't go for that
  • 5th Letter
    edited September 2011
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    LOL... from a fan's perspective, this is a great thing... dead weight, under achievers will get the boot, however, the players won't go for that

That seems fair to me but if the players have an issue with any of those terms then the players are the ones being hardline.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Like the last person said, I wont care til Janurary/february.. until then ass tiddie ? NFL NBA 2k12 and XBOX FPS. Ty.
  • Heartless_Mentality1
    Heartless_Mentality1 Members Posts: 147
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Deal may get done by tomorrow. According to the writers, Dan Gilbert is willing to accept the proposal stern made and wants to finish the deal
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Dr. Boyce: Five Reasons the NBA is Now Afraid of Black Men
    October 2, 2011 By Staff
    View Comments

lebron_dwyane-300x200.jpg

Many of us read with interest the blow up between NBA superstar Dwyane Wade and commissioner David Stern. In a heated discussion taking place during the pending NBA lockout, Wade told Stern that he “isn’t his child,” and then stormed out of the meeting. I read about the interaction with curiosity, wondering whether or not I was witnessing the kind of revolt that hasn’t been seen among black athletes since the 1960s.

If that is the case, then NBA team owners are rightfully nervous. If black professional athletes were to get even a whiff of the power that they truly possess, they’d be amazed at what they could do. Here are five reasons that the NBA now has good reason to fear black men:

1) The athletes have options: Unlike the NFL, there is a strong global market for well-branded professional basketball players. When I taught a class in China, I was amazed by the fact that every single boy in my class loved the game of basketball; every television in the cafeteria featured the NBA finals, and one of my students actually told me that every boy he knows plays basketball at least once a week. There are opportunities for players around the world, so most high quality players (except for the perpetually sad Delonte West, who is working in a hardware store) have something to do during the lockout. What’s even worse for team owners is that the longer the players spend time playing overseas, the more they may realize that it’s not such a terrible existence after all. As in any relationship (dating, professional, etc.), having options is almost always a good thing.

2) They are not afraid: Wade’s blow up at Commissioner Stern has all the racial undertones of a scene from the movie “Roots.” The fact that Wade referred to Stern as “David” on multiple occasions also says that Wade is not interested in submitting to the standard social hierarchy that exists between black men and wealthy white guys. When one puts intelligence, power, unity and courage all in the same room, you’ve got the socio-political equivalent of a nuclear bomb.

3) They know how to work together: The fact that Wade conspired with LeBron James to play together in Miami says that these guys have risen above the divide-and-conquer mentality typically held among professional athletes. They communicate with one another and seem to have realized that joining forces gives them a tremendous amount of power both on and off the court. Historically, NBA labor negotiations have been heavily skewed in favor of team owners, who vote in lockstep on nearly every issue. By engaging in the same degree of collusion, Wade and his colleagues have tipped the scales back at least a little bit.

4) They’re a lot more educated than they used to be: With the advent of the Internet, there has been an explosion in the sharing of ideas and information. It’s no longer cool for black men to be ignorant, and athletes can not only reach the public on their own, but they also have unprecedented access to intellectual resources. By watching many of their predecessors end up broke and powerless, some (not all) NBA athletes come to the league equipped with the tools necessary to be successful in both life and sports. They realize that being financially and politically savvy are just as important as being able to dunk a basketball.

5) They are principled and battle-hardened: Dwyane Wade (I’ve never met him) appears to be a battled-scarred man with a certain degree conscientiousness that goes above and beyond the size of his paycheck. I watched this single dad fight like hell for the right to see his sons, and in quite a few ways, Wade is openly defiant of nearly every stereotype the American public wants to have about black men in America. The fact that he and James have already stated that they have no problem sitting out for an entire season serves as notice to NBA owners that by utilizing hard ball negotiating tactics, they are jeopardizing the existence and economic stability of the NBA.

Beyond the financial implications of the NBA lockout negotiations lies a deeper and more serious display of racial dynamics at work. While team owners are still likely going to put the hammer on the heads of the athletes, we may see a dramatic shift in the athlete-owner paradigm. In the nervous eyes of NBA owners, this is the rise of the planet of the athletes.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Professor at Syracuse University and founder of the Your Black World Coalition. To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

http://yourblackworld.com/2011/10/02/dr-boyce-five-reasons-the-nba-is-now-afraid-of-black-men/
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited October 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »

Boyce Watkins made that post?
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Yep!
    It's on his website.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    For me...every year the NBA season starts it feels like its too soon.

Like, im in full football mode then the season starts i aint really ready yet.

So until the SBowl i won tcare.

But from Feb-June!? Sheeeeit...its gon hurt lol
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Boyce is that dude...
  • FlyFreeCt
    FlyFreeCt Members Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    They need to hurry up & figure this ? out...My Sacramento ? got a championship to win!! Lmao....Nah, but we on the come up though....Hopefully Jimmer can contribute a strong 24 minutes a game..
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    This ? killing me
    Ima have to start watching hockey
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    So.. on twitter @MettaWorldPeace said "Yay No lock out"..

LMAO at my friend on facebook saying " Ron Artest is just letting people know that he found his house keys. Carry on."
  • 5th Letter
    edited October 2011
    Options
    S.jR. wrote: »

LMAO at my friend on facebook saying " Ron Artest is just letting people know that he found his house keys. Carry on."

I hope he's serious
  • Chef_Taylor
    edited October 2011
    Options
    S.jR. wrote: »

Lol...thats crazy
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    this ? killing me. im an nba junkie. summer league, preseason etc. i need all that. if it ain't no regular season im going to go crazy.